Recommendations for moisturizing lotions that don't feel greasy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JamesSFO

Recommendations for moisturizing lotions that don't feel greasy

Post by JamesSFO »

Looking for recommendations of moisturizing lotions that don't feel greasy.

Context: have some extremely dry skin, nothing medically wrong, but find myself feeling like every product I've tried on my hands/feet makes me want to wash it off because it has a hideously greasy feel to it. Example, today at Costco, a demo vendor was trying to sell me pricey Hawaiian Aloe-moisturizer ($70 for ~10 oz tub or some such) and extolling how non-greasy and quick absorbing it was as I was desperately trying to flee her after 60 seconds of rubbing to find a bathroom and soap to wash it off.
csm

Re: Recommendations for moisturizing lotions that don't feel greasy

Post by csm »

It sounds like you are looking for a whole-body lotion, but for a non-greasy hand cream, the best I've found is Lancome Absolue Hand with SPF15. It is expensive, but you do not need much and my hands have no greasy feeling whatsoever after applying it. Almost all other hand cream or lotion has me wiping off my palms and fingers on a cloth before I can touch anything but this has a very nice feeling.

For body lotion for arms and legs, I like Biotherm products like Lait Corporel Body Milk. I do not find it too greasy for arms and legs but YMMV. I don't leave it on my hands after applying because it is greasier than I want for my hands, so I clean my hands after applying and then use the Lancome Absolue Hand for my hands.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Regular Aveeno works great. And even the Equate brand (Walmart generic) works really well and costs a lot less.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

CeraVe lotion gets good reviews on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/CeraVe-Moisturiz ... B000YJ2SLG
alec

Post by alec »

mancich wrote:Regular Aveeno works great. And even the Equate brand (Walmart generic) works really well and costs a lot less.
:beer Aveeno is great.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

You need a cream, not a lotion. Eucerin cream (available at Walmart, Target, any drugstore, etc.) works great, is relatively inexpensive, and has no fragrance. Target and Walmart have store-brand knock offs that work just as well.
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

JamesSFO wrote:Looking for recommendations of moisturizing lotions that don't feel greasy.
I think we all react to skin care products differently. Reactions can also vary over time. As someone with sensitive skin, I like the "Yes To" line, http://yesto.com. Even so, I've had to switch products within the line due to adverse reactions that suddenly occurred after years of use.

I suggest you buy from stores that have liberal return policies, e.g., Walgreens, Whole Foods.
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

I second the CeraVe recommendation. I have very sensitive skin and inflammatory rosacea. Good times! Anyways, CeraVe has a small line of products that you can find at Target or Walgreens. I use the CeraVe Cream (not lotion) on my face and body. A 19oz container costs $11 to $14. It has no odor. HTH
dignan

Post by dignan »

I have the same thing. I used to use Lubriderm Advanced Therapy until I saw a dermatologist. The dermatologist suggested Amlactin or CeraVe SA. I have used both to test out and they work wonders. I can skip a day without lotion, they are that good. I much prefer the Amlactin, but some may be turned off by the alcohol smell.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

dignan wrote:I have the same thing. I used to use Lubriderm Advanced Therapy until I saw a dermatologist. The dermatologist suggested Amlactin or CeraVe SA. I have used both to test out and they work wonders. I can skip a day without lotion, they are that good. I much prefer the Amlactin, but some may be turned off by the alcohol smell.
+2 on Amlactin after trying many others for dry skin and for eczema over several years. My derm at first said to use Lubriderm but then recommended Amlactin. I think the eczema finally cleared on its own, but I continue with Amlactin.

I don't think it has an "alcohol smell." I think its the ph-balanced lactic acid in the formulation that you're smelling. Only ceytl alcohol as the 10th ingredient which is generally an emollient. I don't sense much smell, but YMMV.

It's a little pricier than some others but is available at Costco in a large pump for around $16.
Last edited by heartwood on Sat May 27, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
R2D2

Post by R2D2 »

I used the generic version of Lubriderm (Walmart has an "Equate" generic version). But the trick is to use a little bit every time after washing my hands. I don't do a giant lube-up once a day.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

https://www.amazon.com/Palmers-Cocoa-Bu ... utter&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Palmers-Cocoa-Bu ... utter&th=1

My wife and I use both. The jar above was used by both her PT and the orthopaedic surgeon after knee replacement to minimize the scar. They smell great as well, if you like the smell of chocolate. Might be worth a try.
golfer292

Post by golfer292 »

I too have sensitive itchy skin problems being a red head with light complexion. For past five years I have used Triderma last sensitive skin cream. I even mix it with Coppertone Water Babys 50 spf sunscreen when I will be outside golfing. Its the best I have found . Its cooling effect and non greasy fits my needs. I have not been able to find it in local stores. I have been ordering it from Triderma's web site. But, recently found it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/TriDerma-Sensiti ... itive+skin
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
runner540

Post by runner540 »

alec wrote:
mancich wrote:Regular Aveeno works great. And even the Equate brand (Walmart generic) works really well and costs a lot less.
3rd vote for anything Aveeno.
mouses

Post by mouses »

I like Earth Sciences Almond-Aloe Moisturizer Fragrance Free lotion. It's basically a face moisturizer, but I use it everywhere. I use a small amount and that seems to work. I used to use a lot of moisturizer and then had to deal with the ugh greasy feel.
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

runner540 wrote:
alec wrote:
3rd vote for anything Aveeno.
4th
kelway

Post by kelway »

5th vote for standard Aveeno...
Topic Author
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

Thanks all most appreciated!
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

I like Jergens Extra Healing lotion, but there's NO lotion or cream that I can stand to have on my palms, I always wash them off after applying it elsewhere.
spth

Post by spth »

Vanicream, as in vanishing cream
bligh

Post by bligh »

kelway wrote:5th vote for standard Aveeno...
6th vote for Aveeno.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Perhaps too greasy for your liking but I found some of the lotions that do not feel greasy are too light for me.
WorkingHands cream is something that I use. It is solid at room temps
Today picked up a special formulated hand "grease" with high beeswax with an apparent melting point about 85-90F. I have been playing in dirt and dirt sucks moisture and oils out of the hands.
ymmv
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
nvtribefan

Post by nvtribefan »

A dermatologist turned me on to Amlactin when I first moved back west in 1988, and my feet began cracking and bleeding from the dry air. It was Rx only back then. Been using it ever since. Costco carries it.
Topic Author
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

Again thanks so much to all I will pick up a few of the recommended ones over next few days and try out.
sfnerd

Post by sfnerd »

bligh wrote:
kelway wrote:5th vote for standard Aveeno...
6th vote for Aveeno.
7th for Aveeno. I have chronic dry skin and Aveeno really helps without being greasy. When I travel and forget it, I'm miserable. It's fairly cheap too, and can be found at costco.
Investor2

Post by Investor2 »

Another vote for Cerave.

Make sure you use the Cerave "Moisturizing Cream" that comes in the jar, not the "lotion" and if hands still get dry use Cerave "Hydrating Cleanser" to wash your hands instead of regular soap and apply the moisturizing cream immediately afterwards. This combination is almost guaranteed to eliminate dry skin after a couple of uses.

The moisturizing cream will feel greasy when first applied, but it actually solves the problem so you don't have to apply it that often.

I've never used Amlactin, but it sounds like another good option, i.e., a dermatologist recommended product for serious dry skin problems.
otinkyad

Post by otinkyad »

I like Eucerin and Aveeno for both low greasiness and effectiveness. But the near-miracle lotion for me is ShiKai Borage Therapy.
Topic Author
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

One last round of thank yous, I've ordered the top two recommended products (Aveno, Cerave) from Amazon to try later this week.
Ciel

Post by Ciel »

I like Cetaphil lotion. Doesn't feel greasy at all to me.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Weleda.
Orange44

Post by Orange44 »

Gold Bond I like.
p14175

Post by p14175 »

I use olive oil.
Hug401k

Post by Hug401k »

I can't find anything better for my hands than O'Keefe Working Hands- they sell it anywhere from the hardware store to Amazon. The Working Feet also works wonders.
KernelSanders

Post by KernelSanders »

I know exactly what you mean about disliking the greasy feeling of most lotions as I am the same way. For me, Aveeno and Eucerin have the same problems as any other white goopy lotion. I recommend giving Corn Husker's Lotion a try. I was introduced to it about a year ago and it was a godsend during the winter when I have especially dry hands and elbows. It's completely oil free so there is zero greasy feeling.
zzcooper123

Post by zzcooper123 »

Maybe this article will give you some ideas:

http://www.jailmedicine.com/grody-feet-and-heel-cracks/
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Rupert wrote:Eucerin cream... works great, is relatively inexpensive, and has no fragrance
+1 - use it sparingly, and rub it in. I dislike "lotions" and feel that they wash off with just one hand washing.

And as Rupert said - Eucerin cream - they also make lotions, but that's not what I'm talking about.
MutualEdge

Post by MutualEdge »

Cerave is my vote, like others have mentioned. I also have dry skin and use the regular version at night, especially in the winter. My local Costco offers a huge tub at a great price. If you belong to Costco, you might check it out. I use their AM lotion with SPF 30 daily as well. Good luck with your test!