best way to buy tires

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jack FFR1846

Re: best way to buy tires

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:19 am

I've owned both an Explorer and a Yukon XL (like a Tahoe, just longer). The Tahoe is a big, heavy vehicle and I ran a set of snows on it year round. I don't think I even got 30k miles out of it. The same tire model on our Subaru gets an easy 80k miles. So having a tank weight truck does have a lot to do with it.

I know some people here don't like the idea, but I would keep my eyes on Craigslist. Look for a set of wheels with tires already on them. People do sell sets like this when changing vehicles or when going to some fancy new wheels and you can get absolutely great deals. Since we have Subarus, which require changing all 4 tires if one is destroyed, I've sold on craigslist where the remaining 3 tires have half the wear remaining. I last sold tires from our Crosstrek that would fit a ton of vehicles to a guy who needed 1 tire for his mini van. I sold 3 of them for $15 to get them out of my shed. Sure, you want to check the tread and you take somewhat of a chance buying used tires, but you can get one heck of a deal. The Tahoe likely will have matching wheels with GM pickups as well. The Explorer may match pickups (not sure about that), but you can certainly find used Explorer wheels with tires in the same generation.

One big advantage in having this extra set of wheels/tires is that you don't have to go searching around for new tires while driving on them. You can run the spare set and look for sales.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:19 am

JD1967 wrote:Wow ... im getting 30k miles out of my tires and i take care of them ... im suprised the michelines are getting north of 75k and 90k on them ... that's amazing
Yikes, 30K miles is not very good. I got more than 30K miles out of a set of "V" rated tires I put on a Trans Am I had back in the early-2000's (when I was younger and slightly dumber).

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Sam's club has the best price and service in my area.

Michelin tires are hard and last a long time. My last set had a 60,000 mile warranty. I was surprised by how well they held up.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:22 pm

I belong to Costco just for their tire service.

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:35 am

denovo wrote: How many miles are you guys driving? Most new tires are rated for about 45,000 miles at least. If tires are wearing out before 50,000, maybe your wheel alignment is off or you are not rotating them on schedule.....

If tires wear out before their tread warranty, you usually get prorated credit....
This doesn't apply to a lot of people, but if you drive nearly all city miles and mostly short trips, a very high percent of the miles you put on the tires are in low speed turning, which wears tires out much faster than someone who drives 50 miles a day mostly on the highway where the tires are simply rolling forward most of the time.

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:56 am

Remember the most important thing about tires are the age - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpjQ2CSgzjk

Please be safe and check the age.

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:58 am

stickman731 wrote:Remember the most important thing about tires are the age - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpjQ2CSgzjk

Please be safe and check the age.
Sorry but no. There is no scientific study proving some arbitrary age limit or expiration date on tires is valid. This idea is pushed by parties who benefit from setting an arbitrary limit (like tire retailers) and then repeated widely (and also by parties who want to deny liability after some safely short period of time, like auto manufacturers).

For most people the age won't ever be a factor since their tread depth hits the limit far before some arbitrary age (anywhere for 6-10 year is the "age limit" most tire manufacturers give).

Congress took this age limit concept up during the TREAD Act (the one that mandated TPMS ) and there were various studies commissioned, including an NHTSA report from August 2007 (and there are some spin-doctored summaries of that report that claim things it didn't conclude, or take things out of context) and a followup report from March 2014. See also Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard # 139. IN short, you don't have to rely on internet rumors and here-say. There were actual, legitimate studies.

It's true that tires do degrade with age (as does pretty much everything), but there are many factors involved with the pace and severity of that ageing, including simple things like inflation history and air temperature. Tires can last decades with no visible or measurable deterioration (e.g. on seldom-driven vehicles that are stored without UV exposure).

BUT...the problem is the unknown unknown. There can be internal degradation that isn't visible externally, and there hasn't been a method developed to detect it (short of cutting the tire open). They did some accelerated age tests as part of the aforementioned study and could show internal problems when they sliced the tire open. But when all was said and done they couldn't come up with a testing method they felt was repeatable and reliable enough to mandate it as a way to set expiration dates for tires.

If you drive typical numbers of annual miles, you'll reach the tread limit by the 6-10 year guideline from most tire manufacturers anyway. But if you drive very low miles, and keep the tires properly inflated and not exposed to UV, tires can absolutely last far longer than 10 years without any internal or external issues. But if you want to spend your money on new tires, you're free to do so.

Here are some snips from the Rubber Manufacturer's Association statement:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=us
"Service Life is Not Determined by Chronological Age
Tires are composed of various materials...[and their] component properties evolve over a combination of time, service and storage
conditions. For each individual tire, this change is affected by many elements such as temperature, storage conditions, and conditions of use (e.g., load, speed, inflation pressure, impacts and road hazard injury) to which a tire is subjected throughout its life. Since service and storage conditions vary widely, accurately predicting the actual serviceable life of any specific tire based on simple calendar age is not possible. RMA is not aware of reliable and accurate scientific or technical data that establishes a specific minimum or maximum service life for passenger and light truck tires. However, in some cases a tire or vehicle manufacturer may make a specific tire replacement recommendation regarding its products [and] any such recommendation should not be considered a minimum serviceable life for the tire."

PS if you do buy into the tire expiration date idea, you should also replace your spare with a new tire as well since the claim behind the expiration date is that only age matters, not miles or exposure to UV). But even if you don't buy it, do check your tire pressure in your spare and keep your spare properly inflated at all times.

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Tamales wrote:
PS if you do buy into the tire expiration date idea, you should also replace your spare with a new tire as well since the claim behind the expiration date is that only age matters, not miles or exposure to UV). But even if you don't buy it, do check your tire pressure in your spare and keep your spare properly inflated at all times.

I do.

misterno

Post by misterno » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:05 pm

munemaker wrote:
Braumeister wrote:Tirerack.com

Good quality, good prices, good advice.

They deliver to an installer near you.
Hot ticket is:
- Buy from Tire Rack.
- Have installed at local Wal*Mart Auto Center.
- Free lifetime tire rotation, balancing and flat repair.
How do you get the free free life tme rotationhere?

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:44 pm

mrc wrote:
deikel wrote:If you live in a Winter area, a good way to save on tires is to drive winter tires only. Not only are winter tires cheaper than summer ones, this also saves you the re-mounting if you have only one wheel set. IMO, the extra fuel consumption in summer is negligible and the roll noise I could not care less about. Since you can only do 75 mph max anyway you are perfectly safe year round.
Are not winter tires softer (for cold weather) and won't they wear considerably faster on hot dry pavement?
I once used winter tires in the summer. They don't wear well, are noisy and don't handle well. Not for me!

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:47 pm

misterno wrote:
munemaker wrote:

Hot ticket is:
- Buy from Tire Rack.
That comes with Wal*Mart installation package. For $12/tire (or $22/tire if you don't buy the tires from Wal*Mart), Wal*Mart will mount and balance your tire, and give you free lifetime tire rotation, balancing and flat repair. It is described on the Wal*Mart web site, or visit your local store that has a auto center.

misterno

Post by misterno » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:02 pm

munemaker wrote:
misterno wrote:
munemaker wrote:

Hot ticket is:
- Buy from Tire Rack.
That comes with Wal*Mart installation package. For $12/tire (or $22/tire if you don't buy the tires from Wal*Mart), Wal*Mart will mount and balance your tire, and give you free lifetime tire rotation, balancing and flat repair. It is described on the Wal*Mart web site, or visit your local store that has a auto center.
What? I never knew that

I always bought my tires from walmart, god damn nobody told me all these are covered by WM. I am going there today

Thanks