Should I drink or sell my Pappy 12 year?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CheapFool

Should I drink or sell my Pappy 12 year?

Post by CheapFool » Wed May 24, 2017 7:37 pm

Entered a lottery with ABC fine wine and spirits and won the option of buying 1 bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 12 year. I haven't drank much bourbon. I'm a Scotch fan (Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Highland Park).

Should I drink it with my scotch drinking, buddy? or try to sell it (if I can)?
Financial Independence, so easy...even a Fool can do it.

bloom2708

Re: Should I drink or sell my Pappy 12 year?

Post by bloom2708 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:39 pm

How much is it worth?

Drink if under 250. Over that I might have to think on it.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Wed May 24, 2017 7:43 pm

I believe there are 2 schools of thought:

The totally logical school: If you can sell it for $X, would you pay $X for it if you hadn't won it? If the answer is no (which it probably is), sell it.

The found money school: You won something you weren't expecting. Life is short. Celebrate and drink up.

EDIT: All this is under the assumption that the price you would pay for it from the liquor store is significantly less than the price you could sell it for.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Wed May 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Drink it with friends or gift it to someone that would love it.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed May 24, 2017 7:47 pm

Keep it to offer guests you want to make an impression on or give a special treat. Even the most casual bourbon drinker knows of Pappy.

Dontridetheindexdown

Post by Dontridetheindexdown » Wed May 24, 2017 8:19 pm

Here is the data, maybe the quants will weigh in.

Van Winkle Variety MSRP on Van Winkle site Average Retail Pricing
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year $59.99 $559
Van Winkle Special Reserve $69.99 $681
Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year $99.99 $1,413
Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year $169.99 $2,001
Pappy Van Winkle 23 Year $269.99 $2,957
Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye $119.99 $1,453

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styl ... -price-at/

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Wed May 24, 2017 8:25 pm

Drink it. I just opened a 30+ year bottle of whiskey with my brother that my father had saved after he passed. No idea what it was worth (although I suspect quite a bit) but raising a glass in toast felt priceless.

MN Finance

Post by MN Finance » Wed May 24, 2017 9:16 pm

I'm not positive but don't think I've ever sold anything to a third party in my whole life, expect a house and I think one car. I sure wouldn't sell. I would enjoy it or find someone who would.

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Wed May 24, 2017 9:23 pm

Drink it.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Wed May 24, 2017 9:24 pm

Trade it for a bourbon Scotch you know you would enjoy but don't normally buy?
Last edited by Christine_NM on Thu May 25, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
16% cash 48% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Wed May 24, 2017 9:50 pm

Just keep it for 3 more years. :sharebeer

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

folkher0

Post by folkher0 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:31 am

This one's easy.

If you're not a bourbon drinker there's no way you'll enjoy a bottle of Pappy as much as it's street value. You are not ready for major league pitching. Three ways to go:

1. Sell it, make some cash. Take a few pictures of yourself with it first as so you can always say, "I once had a bottle..."

2. Hold it (appreciating asset)

3. Use this as an excuse to start a new hobby. Learn about bourbon. Drink alot of it. Work your way up to it. In a few years, when your palette is ready and you have a special occasion, drink that sucker. Or sell it when you get bored and go back to Scotch.

I'm a bourbon fan, and I've never even seen a bottle of Pappy. Its the holy grail. I vote for 3.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu May 25, 2017 6:00 am

Here's a second vote for learning to become a bourbon drinker. I started out drinking scotch. Now I largely drink bourbon when I drink whiskey. Then make your decision.

There are a lot of bourbon drinkers out there that believe that Pappy is far overrated, especially the stuff they distill now. I can't say, because I haven't had it. But if you won't appreciate it and/or you believe it's overrated, that sure leans in favor of selling it for $800-$1,000, which is what it might fetch.

JT

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Thu May 25, 2017 9:12 am

CheapFool wrote:..... won the option of buying 1 bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 12 year.
Buying at what price compared to retail?
JW
Retired at Last

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:43 am

I'm surprised to see so many people voting to drink rather than sell. We must have a lot of bourbon fans here!

These things always come down to how much you personally value it. If I am not a bourbon drinker at all and I know I could make a couple grand by selling it and buying myself something that I DO value, then I would do that. I would personally sell it, as to me the value of this bourbon isn't nearly worth the price I could get. If you won a giant ugly gold watch that you don't like, but you could sell it for $2000 because others do like its style, would there be any question? I don't necessarily agree that you need to "learn to like this" just because it is expensive.

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Thu May 25, 2017 9:45 am

bottlecap wrote:...

There are a lot of bourbon drinkers out there that believe that Pappy is far overrated, especially the stuff they distill now. ...
DW would be in this category. She's done a couple of verticals set up by their brand ambassador. Good stuff, but not worth the price--even for the 20 and 23 year versions. If I'm OP and can buy at sticker and easily sell at street, I'd do so. (Recognizing that, depending upon your state of residence, you could be violating the law by reselling.)
Edit Signature

zhiwiller

Post by zhiwiller » Thu May 25, 2017 9:52 am

No one answered how much it goes for in open market.

niners9088

Post by niners9088 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:02 am

See if you can do both.

Perhaps you can work with the person you sell to to let you have some defined amount of it.

Other interesting option is to work with a local bar for a "Pappy Night." They let you have a drink and you charge $50 per drink or something and split the profits.

Just some thoughts.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:11 am

If you don't know whether you should drink it or sell it, you should sell it.

bigred77

Post by bigred77 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:38 am

As a fellow scotch fan who has never really come to appreciate bourbon my advice would be to sell it and buy as many bottles of Lagavulin as the proceeds will afford.

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am

According to liquor.com it is around $55.
Drink it! :beer

jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb » Thu May 25, 2017 11:00 am

According to wine-searcher the 12 year old Pappy goes for $490 and up. I like bourbon on occasion (primarily a Scotch drinker), but I'd rather have 10 bottles of Blanton's than one bottle of Pappy.

On a related note, I bought two bottles of Black Maple Hill bourbon for around $45 each a few years ago. Drank one, and now I see the second one could be worth $300-$700. My only question is where can i sell it legally?

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu May 25, 2017 11:19 am

All Bourbon is distilled from at least 51% corn with a second grain, usually rye, and barley as a third grain. Pappy van Winkle uses wheat as the second grain, which is not too unusual but is much less common than rye.

Before drinking an expensive Bourbon like Pappy's you really need to familiarize yourself with wheated Bourbons, which might mean you need to first familiarize yourself with the more prevalent rye versions. There is a huge selection of rye-type Bourbons. The difference has been described like the difference between wheat and rye breads.

W.L. Weller is readily available and cheaper. It is produced by the same distillery that produces Pappy Van Winkle and it too is wheated. They could have slapped on a Pappy label but it is deemed not quite up to their premium label.

Maker's Mark is another readily available wheated bourbon. A good comparison of a popular rye-type at about the same price is Knob Creek.

I enjoy both wheat and rye Bourbons.

I've had a bottle of Pappy I paid a lot for a few years ago (I think about $100). It was worth it.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

rbaldini

Post by rbaldini » Thu May 25, 2017 11:55 am

If you're going to drink an incredibly over priced liquid, at least learn something about yourself in the process!

Go buy a Bourbon that is not outrageously overpriced just because of its name. Say, one that is 1/2 to 1/5 the cost? Maybe buy a few. Then have your friends do a double-blind study on you: have them pour each, including the Pappy, into a shot glass (or whatever dumb fancy word is used to describe the liquid delivery device among Bourbon drinkers) randomly, such that neither you nor the person directly serving you know which glass holds which bourbon.

Taste each, and rank them. Even better: price them! Assign the value you would give to each based on the actual taste. Then see whether the price tag on the fancy bottle is actually worth its price (to you).

Of course, the actual reason some expensive liquids are so expensive is because of name recognition. Doing a toast with a fancy Bourbon is more impressive to onlookers than a cheap one. If that's your concern, I have a solution for you: eat the cost of the fancy Bourbon this time - i.e. drink it. Then go buy some average Bourbon somewhere, and pour it into the Pappy bottle. Now you have a fancy label for your next social event. Repeat as necessary.

Edit: Replace "Bourbon" with whatever the correct term is, if I've got it wrong.
Last edited by rbaldini on Thu May 25, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:00 pm

I'm a bourbon drinker who has tried enough scotch to know that I don't really care for scotch.

If somebody gave me a $500 bottle of scotch, I would sell it or gift it to a friend who is a scotch connoisseur. I'd much rather have 10 bottles of interesting bourbons (or a good gift for somebody who will appreciate it) than one bottle of high-$$ scotch.

NiceUnparticularMan

Post by NiceUnparticularMan » Thu May 25, 2017 12:35 pm

Use it for paint thinner and post a video of doing so on Youtube. That would be hilarious.

Or sell it.

oktax

Post by oktax » Thu May 25, 2017 12:39 pm

badger42 wrote:I'm a bourbon drinker who has tried enough scotch to know that I don't really care for scotch.

If somebody gave me a $500 bottle of scotch, I would sell it or gift it to a friend who is a scotch connoisseur. I'd much rather have 10 bottles of interesting bourbons (or a good gift for somebody who will appreciate it) than one bottle of high-$$ scotch.
This is an interesting take. As a bourbon drinker who only dabbles in Scotch, I'd of course drink the Pappy (I've never even seen a bottle). But as I don't appreciate Scotch nearly as much as I do bourbon, I'd be inclined to sell an expensive bottle of Scotch, as I'd find more value in the proceeds than drinking it.

So if you really don't appreciate bourbon, sell it and blow the proceeds on something you will enjoy far more.

Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth » Thu May 25, 2017 12:59 pm

I'm sure the OP knows this, but these bottles are very hard to come by, and worth MUCH more than the MSRP on the secondary market ($500-$1000 is not uncommon).

That said, I would find a couple of good friends who enjoy a nice whiskey, crack open the bottle, and make an occasion of it.

Bob Alou

Post by Bob Alou » Thu May 25, 2017 2:29 pm

You will probably have other opportunities in life to take a profit of this magnitude. You will never again have the opportunity to enjoy a spirit of this quality with friends without significant expense Experiences have a value that can't always be quantified. Cheers.

NiceUnparticularMan

Post by NiceUnparticularMan » Thu May 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Bob Alou wrote:You will probably have other opportunities in life to take a profit of this magnitude. You will never again have the opportunity to enjoy a spirit of this quality with friends without significant expense Experiences have a value that can't always be quantified. Cheers.
Whenever you had those profits, couldn't you use them to buy the spirit if you so desired?

rbaldini

Post by rbaldini » Thu May 25, 2017 2:39 pm

Bob Alou wrote:You will probably have other opportunities in life to take a profit of this magnitude. You will never again have the opportunity to enjoy a spirit of this quality with friends without significant expense Experiences have a value that can't always be quantified. Cheers.
But he IS incurring an expense by drinking it: the opportunity expense of not selling it for $, which might allow him to buy things he values more.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu May 25, 2017 3:32 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (whiskey and whisky).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
CheapFool

Post by CheapFool » Fri May 26, 2017 5:07 am

JW-Retired wrote: Buying at what price compared to retail?
JW
Purchased for $79.95. Quick search on Google: $800-1000.

Topic Author
CheapFool

Post by CheapFool » Fri May 26, 2017 5:12 am

Thanks everyone. I got some great info here, as always, on all things.

I'm keeping it. Going to try a few (or more than a few) Bourbons. And tell my buddy to stop by.

surveyor

Post by surveyor » Fri May 26, 2017 6:10 am

It is really special but it isn't that good. In a similar way my BIL scored a bottle. He has an expansive bourbon collection and also offered what is considered a poor man's bourbon. In a blind taste test he mistook the poor man's bourbon for the pappy. I'd sell it in a heartbeat and put the proceeds towards a tasting at a bourbon bar. You can likely get a pour of that pappy for <$50 and pocket the rest.

SaveStrong

Post by SaveStrong » Fri May 26, 2017 7:43 am

Sell it. Offloaded mine for $1200.
It's not the MSRP but the limited availability that make them more desirable on secondary market. Those limited quantities are usually picked up before they even hit the shelves.

As others have said - would you drink it if you had paid retail?

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:47 am

CheapFool wrote:Thanks everyone. I got some great info here, as always, on all things.

I'm keeping it. Going to try a few (or more than a few) Bourbons. And tell my buddy to stop by.
Good choice. While I would never pay $1,000 for a bottle, I would absolutely keep a bottle I paid retail for. Having a half drunk bottle on your shelf is a good discussion starter, if nothing else. Unless $1,000 is material to you (and I hope it's not if you're buying $80 bottles of alcohol), keeping it is the way to go.

Phenix

Post by Phenix » Fri May 26, 2017 8:21 am

CheapFool wrote:Thanks everyone. I got some great info here, as always, on all things.

Do a blind tasting and let us know where each bourbon ranks.
Pappy is a tasty bourbon, but grossly overpriced on the secondary market.
I think the only way I would buy a bottle is if I were in your situation.

coacher

Post by coacher » Fri May 26, 2017 8:26 am

Depends on your objectives. What is your target asset allocation in relation to your current holdings? If you are underweight fixed income and overweight bourbon then sell, if the opposite then drink it. If neither then hold as there would be no compelling reason at this time to re-balance.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Fri May 26, 2017 8:36 am

oktax wrote:
badger42 wrote:I'm a bourbon drinker who has tried enough scotch to know that I don't really care for scotch.

This is an interesting take. As a bourbon drinker who only dabbles in Scotch, I'd of course drink the Pappy (I've never even seen a bottle). But as I don't appreciate Scotch nearly as much as I do bourbon, I'd be inclined to sell an expensive bottle of Scotch, as I'd find more value in the proceeds than drinking it.

So if you really don't appreciate bourbon, sell it and blow the proceeds on something you will enjoy far more.
I agree with this line of thought. I've drank enough Scotch to realize I don't really like it. I also don't appreciate the difference between $30, $80 and $180 bottles of Scotch (which I've tried). So, if I "won" a windfall bottle of Scotch that someone would give me $1,000 for, I'd sell and buy many bottles of really good bourbon that I could enjoy. I still don't think I'd buy a $1000 bottle of Pappy's, but I'd buy several bottles of bourbon that I normally wouldn't buy.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

gouverneur

Post by gouverneur » Fri May 26, 2017 8:36 am

CheapFool wrote:Entered a lottery with ABC fine wine and spirits and won the option of buying 1 bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 12 year. I haven't drank much bourbon. I'm a Scotch fan (Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Highland Park).

Huge scotch fan here and will point out that if your tastes are inclined toward the peaty, smoky Islay single malts like Lagavulin and Laphroaig, bourbons in general (including Pappy) are different enough that you might not enjoy them. Bourbons are much sweeter and have a more cloying aftertaste to me, which hampers my enjoyment of them, whereas I could drink Laphroaig, Ardbeg, etc. all day long. It's something to consider as a counterpoint to this whole "have an amazing experience" school of thought. A $500 bottle of something that's not suited to your palate is not going to be better than a $50 bottle of Laphroaig 10.

mrc

Post by mrc » Fri May 26, 2017 9:29 am

gouverneur wrote: Huge scotch fan here and will point out that if your tastes are inclined toward the peaty, smoky Islay single malts like Lagavulin and Laphroaig, bourbons in general (including Pappy) are different enough that you might not enjoy them. Bourbons are much sweeter and have a more cloying aftertaste to me, which hampers my enjoyment of them, whereas I could drink Laphroaig, Ardbeg, etc. all day long. It's something to consider as a counterpoint to this whole "have an amazing experience" school of thought. A $500 bottle of something that's not suited to your palate is not going to be better than a $50 bottle of Laphroaig 10.
+1 Laphroaig 18 neat wrecked my appreciation of much else.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Fri May 26, 2017 2:33 pm

Drink with friends
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri May 26, 2017 2:35 pm

Save it for a special occasion and then drink it on that occasion.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri May 26, 2017 2:35 pm

CheapFool wrote:Entered a lottery with ABC fine wine and spirits and won the option of buying 1 bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 12 year. I haven't drank much bourbon. I'm a Scotch fan (Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Highland Park).

You don't note what the price to exercise the option is.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Fri May 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Bring it, coddled and careful, to the Boglehead Conference, have a taste testing, and everyone will decide what you should have done :sharebeer

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Fri May 26, 2017 5:32 pm

No lottery, but Total Wine had a sale to their members who purchase a certain amount in a year for the 12 yr Pappy about a year ago. I recall the pricing was $60 or $70 for the 12 year and $90 or more for the 15 year. I bought one of the 12 year bottles. I drink a fair amount of bourbon and like most of them. Pappy was not my style. I prefer Makers Mark, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey and others. I'm glad I had the opportunity at a slight premium to what I pay for most bourbons I drink. I wouldn't buy another. I had no trouble finding friends who were delighted to share the opportunity.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:05 pm

What do you mix with the Laphroaig to hide the turpentine taste?

bayview

Post by bayview » Fri May 26, 2017 8:01 pm

You're a Scotch drinker. Do you also like bourbon?

If yes, keep, save it for special occasions, and enjoy.

If not, unload it.

I'm a bourbon girl. Hate Scotch (ok, "whiskey"), and I'd have no clue what to do with a fancy brand.

But if you enjoy bourbon, think about the occasional evening out on the porch/ deck/ patio, sipping on the Pappy's with three ice cubes rattling around.

Summer is coming. Are you ready?
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri