Suits: best bang for your buck?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TSR

Suits: best bang for your buck?

Post by TSR » Wed May 24, 2017 4:03 pm

I need to update my wardrobe by two or three suits. I'm an attorney and so need something for the courtroom, but by no means do I care about "projecting authority" or appearing flashy to clients or to a jury -- I just need something that looks sufficiently professional and will blend in (just trust that my job is not particularly glamorous). I'd love to do this as cheaply as possible, and I'd like to do it off the rack rather than custom fit, with the understanding that I might have to do some later tailoring. One issue is that I wear a 38 Long, which means that a lot of places don't carry my size in their regular lines (retailers like J. Crew, for example). I also like slim fitting suits.

I have heard people recommend Suit Supply here. Any thoughts on them?

I see that venerable old Jos. Bank has some of their "1905 Suits" on sale for $199 for memorial day. Anyone have experience there? (They have recently gotten rid of their crazy "buy one get 20 suits free" or whatever they used to do, which I hope means that they are putting out better products these days.)

Other favorites?

bloom2708

Re: Suits: best bang for your buck?

Post by bloom2708 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:07 pm

I don't wear suits much anymore (wedding/funeral).

I've been tempted to buy one of these featured on groupon.com

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-bravem ... ce-suits-4

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-mundo- ... -fit-suits

If you search for "Men's Suits" on Groupon, you can different fit/styles/sizes. I can guess at the quality for $50-60, but would only I know it was $50 or 60? :confused

I guess you also have to fit into their suit/pants size combinations. I see some with 38R, but they will the waist fit? I fit into the 40R/34W band.

If I pull up to a wedding in my $50 slim fit suit in my 2001 Toyota Echo, would anyone care? :o
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

Jonezez

Post by Jonezez » Wed May 24, 2017 4:27 pm

I'm in market for suit also and have had my eye on:

https://combatgent.com/

I've bought dress shirts there and like the fit and quality, price is very reasonable as well.

Shirts are better quality than Zara.

Problem for suits is I haven't been able to find my size in stock.

But I believe it meets the slim fit and price that you are looking for.

good luck!

alaskantraveler

Post by alaskantraveler » Wed May 24, 2017 4:32 pm

I went on a trip to Thailand in 2008, and had two suites tailored for me. Cost me $150 per suit. It came with two tailored shirts and two ties. I still have both suits and they both still fit.

There is something about wearing a tailored suit that fits you perfectly. Makes you never want to wear an untailored suit again. In fact if you can get a tailor in the states to take your measurements you can get them made and shipped to you without even have to go there. This isn't limited to Thailand. Pretty much any country that does a lot of textiles will do tailored suites on the cheap.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Wed May 24, 2017 4:33 pm

TSR wrote:I need to update my wardrobe by two or three suits. I'm an attorney and so need something for the courtroom, but by no means do I care about "projecting authority" or appearing flashy to clients or to a jury -- I just need something that looks sufficiently professional and will blend in (just trust that my job is not particularly glamorous). I'd love to do this as cheaply as possible, and I'd like to do it off the rack rather than custom fit, with the understanding that I might have to do some later tailoring. One issue is that I wear a 38 Long, which means that a lot of places don't carry my size in their regular lines (retailers like J. Crew, for example). I also like slim fitting suits.

I see that venerable old Jos. Bank has some of their "1905 Suits" on sale for $199 for memorial day. Anyone have experience there? (They have recently gotten rid of their crazy "buy one get 20 suits free" or whatever they used to do, which I hope means that they are putting out better products these days.)

Other favorites?
Michael Kors suits. Great looking and fit the tall and slim off the rack. Get a black, navy, and charcoal. Presto - you'll be set.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

TSR

Post by TSR » Wed May 24, 2017 4:38 pm

CyclingDuo wrote:
TSR wrote:I need to update my wardrobe by two or three suits. I'm an attorney and so need something for the courtroom, but by no means do I care about "projecting authority" or appearing flashy to clients or to a jury -- I just need something that looks sufficiently professional and will blend in (just trust that my job is not particularly glamorous). I'd love to do this as cheaply as possible, and I'd like to do it off the rack rather than custom fit, with the understanding that I might have to do some later tailoring. One issue is that I wear a 38 Long, which means that a lot of places don't carry my size in their regular lines (retailers like J. Crew, for example). I also like slim fitting suits.

Other favorites?
Michael Kors suits. Great looking and fit the tall and slim off the rack. Get a black, navy, and charcoal. Presto - you'll be set.
These do appear to have a good quality/price ratio, but my internet search suggests that they do not carry a 38L. Alas.

DGE

Post by DGE » Wed May 24, 2017 4:40 pm

Strongly suggest Indochino. It's an online retailer that provides custom made suits based on the measurements you submit. Measuring yourself is really easy and they have very clear instructions/videos to follow throughout the process. Only downside is you'll need a significant other / close friend or family member to measure you up. Price points are ~$350 per suit..a tad pricier than some of the folks on this board would likely be willing to spend, but you'll absolutely notice the difference in a custom suit vs. an off the rack suit.

dannyboy

Post by dannyboy » Wed May 24, 2017 7:36 pm

I'm a fan of nice suits, but not a fan of spending $1k+ for quality; I've had the best luck looking for extra-discounted suits in the Nordstrom Rack. My best purchase was a Dolce and Gabbana suit (far higher quality than I needed) which someone else had purchased for full price, tailored, and promptly returned. It just so happened their physique was identical to mine, so it fit me perfectly; I got a top-of-the-line designer suit for 90% off. I haven't found a deal quite that good since, but if you stop by every once in a while their stock changes and you may get lucky like I did. If not, they always offer a wide selection of decent suits for decent prices.

I have also had luck with online consignment websites (like therealreal.com) through which one can purchase lightly-used designer suits on sale. You run the risk of purchasing a suit that is slightly too large/small, but they have a pretty generous return policy. Please note I have no affiliation whatsoever with either of these businesses; they're just the ones I've bought from frequently.

Beyond that, the most important aspect of a good-looking suit is the fit; an ill-fitting $3,000 suit will look far worse than a perfectly-tailored $300 suit. Especially if you like a slim/modern fit, have a professional ensure the jacket fits properly, the pants are tapered/the right length, and the vest (if applicable) fits well. I generally defer to this Esquire article (http://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fashi ... -fit-0708/) for preliminary assessments of fit. Good luck in your suit hunt!
Danny

poker27

Post by poker27 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:17 pm

Please don't buy a black suit.

If you live in a large metro, you may be able to find a custom made suit for sub 400 ish. Whatever you buy make sure you get it tailored

student

Post by student » Wed May 24, 2017 8:38 pm

DGE wrote:Strongly suggest Indochino. It's an online retailer that provides custom made suits based on the measurements you submit. Measuring yourself is really easy and they have very clear instructions/videos to follow throughout the process. Only downside is you'll need a significant other / close friend or family member to measure you up. Price points are ~$350 per suit..a tad pricier than some of the folks on this board would likely be willing to spend, but you'll absolutely notice the difference in a custom suit vs. an off the rack suit.
I have suits from them and I concur with the assessment.

Tiredofwork

Post by Tiredofwork » Wed May 24, 2017 8:47 pm

I've purchased Alfini, Michael Korhs,and Kenneth Cole from Macys.com for $149. All have for me perfectly. The Taylor has to find things to make minor adjustments too, bit typically says the fit just fine. Maybe I'm lucky?

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed May 24, 2017 8:58 pm

I have bought suits at Jos A. Bank but NOT the cheaper 1905 suits- buy their upper line if you go there (I think it's called signature or something) - look and fit much nicer - and only $50 or $100 or so more when on sale.

taguscove

Post by taguscove » Wed May 24, 2017 9:25 pm

Look to style forum. Suitsupply is a consistent favorite in the below $1000 category. Best suits for $400-600.

Jcrew also good but a tier below

Jos a banks and men's warehouse are substantially lower quality and value.

Dark Navy or charcoal suit is most versatile. Black suits surprisingly have a much narrower set of matching shirts and shoes options.

This is my conclusion after spending 10 hours researching and talking with coworkers.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:41 pm

bloom2708 wrote:I don't wear suits much anymore (wedding/funeral).

I've been tempted to buy one of these featured on groupon.com

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-bravem ... ce-suits-4

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-mundo- ... -fit-suits

If you search for "Men's Suits" on Groupon, you can different fit/styles/sizes. I can guess at the quality for $50-60, but would only I know it was $50 or 60? :confused

I guess you also have to fit into their suit/pants size combinations. I see some with 38R, but they will the waist fit? I fit into the 40R/34W band.

If I pull up to a wedding in my $50 slim fit suit in my 2001 Toyota Echo, would anyone care? :o
Bought on one on Groupon when I ended up with a 50% off coupon, cost me $30. The suit ordered did not have finished pants, finally had my wife take care of that. The suit is, as expected, cheap, but passable. It is very thin and I don't expect it to last very long, but for an occasional use, it would be perfect.

bhtomj

Post by bhtomj » Thu May 25, 2017 12:05 am

I needed a suit for a funeral and of course did not have much time. We found a nice gray one at Kohl's for just over $100.00.
I have not worn a suit for work since 1997 but this is the least expensive suit I have ever worn and one of the nicest.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Thu May 25, 2017 12:16 am

Imo, if you need to look good, the tailoring and advice when you're trying on are the most important things. Buying cheap clothes online works for me, but I would not buy a suit that way. Really, the whole thing is the fit -- especially if you're dealing with clientele who know the difference. An ill-fitting $2000 suit looks like a $99 suit. I've had good luck at Nordstrom Rack -- very cheap and there are occasional amazing values, and there is real tailoring, but the stock is probably too hit-or-miss for your size.
Last edited by daveydoo on Thu May 25, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

aspiringlawyer

Post by aspiringlawyer » Thu May 25, 2017 12:22 am

I recently bought a suit supply one and love it. I would highly recommend them. It looks like you can get the Napoli fit in your size depending on the color. They run $399 and the pants come unhemmed.

If you're looking for something cheap, that's the quality you'll get as well. Fork out an extra $200 and get a suit that will lay you a few years as opposed to 6 months to a year. I'm looking to go custom, and am unsure about indochino. They constantly spam me with this deal and that deal every few days. If you want to do custom, I would look at Oliver wicks, black lapel, and knot standard.

telemark

Post by telemark » Thu May 25, 2017 3:12 am

poker27 wrote:Please don't buy a black suit.
Unless you have already been issued a neuralyzer.

ChrisMD

Post by ChrisMD » Thu May 25, 2017 5:33 am

J. Hilburn is a little more than you may want to spend, but your time is worth something isn’t it?

https://www.jhilburn.com/catalog/suits? ... collection

They come to your work or home, at a time that is convenient for you, and measure for a perfect fit.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Thu May 25, 2017 5:42 am

SuitSupply is good for tall & slim people. They aren't the cheapest but you will get a sharp suit people will notice for not a ton of money.

I don't but shirts or ties from them - just the suit. Never ordered online from them as they have a store on Rush Street in Chicago I can get to.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

yatesd

Post by yatesd » Thu May 25, 2017 5:51 am

OK, I've always had mixed feelings about Jos A Banks...however, the main reason I buy from them is to avoid paying for a designer name and to ensure the same quality every time. For instance:

- Jos A Bank Traveler shirts (100% cotton, wrinkle resistant, 3 different fits, longer shirts that don't get untucked)
- Jos A Bank Signature Gold suits (higher quality worsted wool, lined knees, band around waist that prevents shirts from getting untucked)

I buy these on clearance online and then take the suits to the store to get custom fitted (should be about $35 more).

I try to keep my "all in" price for a high quality suit to around $300 and will keep it for years (pick boring colors/patterns that will survive the test of time) and my shirts to less than $35 each (sometimes less).

BTW, I also use www.ebates.com to save a little more $$$.

Mick

Post by Mick » Thu May 25, 2017 7:53 am

I had outgrown the suits I had before retiring. First time I needed one was some 5 years later for evenings on a Cunard ship from London. Went to Goodwill and found a nice one cheap. Haven't worn it in the 3 years since the cruise.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:36 am

runner3081 wrote: Bought on one on Groupon when I ended up with a 50% off coupon, cost me $30. The suit ordered did not have finished pants, finally had my wife take care of that. The suit is, as expected, cheap, but passable. It is very thin and I don't expect it to last very long, but for an occasional use, it would be perfect.
Thanks for that update. I did read several where the pants were "unhemmed". I guess that allows you to hem them to your length. Get the jacket and waist correct and customize your pant length.

I am going to buy one when I get a similar coupon. Grey sharkskin slim fit. 8-)

If all suits were $30, I might have to be like Barney from How I Met Your Mother (TV show) and "suit up" every day. Suit up Ted.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu May 25, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Thu May 25, 2017 8:55 am

Do you have any local suit stores around?

My neighbor owns one and I find his $300 suits perfect. He will charge about $50 for tailoring and it fits me sharp. Nice part is he can special order sizes too. I'm a 36 short, so its a bit challenging to find my size.

Last suit I bought from him was a slim fit. Love it because I look sharp in it, hate it because if I ever had to squat down to tie my shoe, my pants will rip the thing is so damn tight.

benne77

Post by benne77 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:07 am

I bought a suit from jos a banks and also one from indochino. The one from Joseph a banks was 280 with tailoring and the one from indochino was 400 and was custom. It is much better material and fits much better. I highly recommend indochino. You will have no regrets.

TSR

Post by TSR » Thu May 25, 2017 9:32 am

Thanks for all the great ideas -- I really appreciate it!

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:15 pm

TSR wrote:One issue is that I wear a 38 Long, which means that a lot of places don't carry my size in their regular lines (retailers like J. Crew, for example). I also like slim fitting suits.
I read this a couple times before I realized the 38 long was based on your stature, not the nature of your clients, and I was puzzling over why you'd choose such an outdated caliber for self-defense. :oops:

Sorry...don't know much about suits, so I can't answer directly. I just dropped in to see if I could learn anything about suit buying, and thought the point of the question related to discrete concealed carry while wearing a suit.

TSR

Post by TSR » Thu May 25, 2017 1:51 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
TSR wrote:One issue is that I wear a 38 Long, which means that a lot of places don't carry my size in their regular lines (retailers like J. Crew, for example). I also like slim fitting suits.
I read this a couple times before I realized the 38 long was based on your stature, not the nature of your clients, and I was puzzling over why you'd choose such an outdated caliber for self-defense. :oops:

Sorry...don't know much about suits, so I can't answer directly. I just dropped in to see if I could learn anything about suit buying, and thought the point of the question related to discrete concealed carry while wearing a suit.
Well, I was unaware that .38 long was an actual caliber, but Wikipedia can't even make me fully comprehend the difference between that and a .357 round. For my needs, neither would be welcome in court. :wink:

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:41 pm

TSR wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:

Well, I was unaware that .38 long was an actual caliber, but Wikipedia can't even make me fully comprehend the difference between that and a .357 round. For my needs, neither would be welcome in court. :wink:
I figure it's a pretty good assumption a client or opposing party is likewise unarmed in the courtroom, but might not be if you were to see them outside the courtroom. I have no idea what percentage of attorney's carry, though.

The .38 Long was an old Army revolver round, and there was an even older .38 Short. The .38 Special is a higher power adaptation of the Long, and the .357 Magnum an even higher power adaptation. For historical reasons, the .38" diameter of the cylinder bore was used in the naming of those older rounds, instead of the .357" barrel diameter.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu May 25, 2017 3:59 pm

I took a trip to Vietnam this past winter.

While there, I had a suit tailored for me at a place called "Kimmy" in Hoi An. I never did that before. I only wear suits to weddings and funerals. But 3 days later, after 4 fittings, I was (I forget) maybe about $300 or so poorer, but left with a lovely handmade Merino wool suit that fits like a glove, two Egyptian cotton shirts and a silk tie. You would probably pay about that at Jos. Bank where you found your $199 suit, but I cannot imagine you would get anywhere as much for your money. My product was high-end...they have lots that are cheaper.

How they compare with high-end products from Italy or London or wherever, I have no idea. My guess is they are probably a bit inferior but they likely come close at a much lower price point.

If close is good enough for you, and you think a Southeast Asia vacation would be fun (especially if you need more than one suit), you might consider that less conventional approach. There is a lot to see and do in Southeast Asia. What you save may pay for your trip and more.

If Southeast Asia is not your cup of tea (hehe), or if you want definite Saville Row quality and are willing to pay the very hefty premium, then follow somebody else's advice. If you don't care much about quality and have no interest in SE Asia, your Jos. Bank choice is probably fine.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu May 25, 2017 4:10 pm

TSR wrote:
"Best bang for your buck"?????

nyclon

Post by nyclon » Thu May 25, 2017 8:00 pm

Other favorites?
Charles tyrwhitt suits are good for the money. They also sell suits as separates so they may work for your size requirements.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Thu May 25, 2017 8:27 pm

I got one last year at Boscovs after trying on the most recent ones I had from the mid 90s (and finding those didn't fit and were terribly out of style). I think the one I just got at Boscovs was around $125 and then some minor tailoring might have been another $25. The suit is definitely thinner than past suits I've had. Seems like everything's being made thinner (t-shirts, etc). Gotta save money somewhere. It could also just be a current style thing. I don't wear it much so didn't want to spend a lot. If I wore it daily, I might go with something more durable (and expect to pay more). I also looked at J.C. Pennys. Many places (including those two) have suit separates, but Pennys seemed to be pushing the separates more than Boscovs and I guess I'm a bit of a traditionalist. Check those two (JC Pennys and Bosccovs) if you have any near you.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

MDfive21

Post by MDfive21 » Fri May 26, 2017 11:04 am

after a long look at jos a bank, i bought a great suit at suitsupply recently and the experience start to finish was great for someone who doesn't like to shop. even on the high end suits, the material at jos a bank was an order of magnitude lower in quality than suitsupply. off the rack the ss suit fit pretty well, but the guy pinned it up right there AND their turnaround for tailoring is 3 days vs banks '2 weeks but i'll rush it for you'. hands down suitsupply.

TSR

Post by TSR » Fri May 26, 2017 11:07 am

MDfive21 wrote:after a long look at jos a bank, i bought a great suit at suitsupply recently and the experience start to finish was great for someone who doesn't like to shop. even on the high end suits, the material at jos a bank was an order of magnitude lower in quality than suitsupply. off the rack the ss suit fit pretty well, but the guy pinned it up right there AND their turnaround for tailoring is 3 days vs banks '2 weeks but i'll rush it for you'. hands down suitsupply.
Extremely helpful. Thank you.

avalpert

Post by avalpert » Fri May 26, 2017 11:11 am

MDfive21 wrote:after a long look at jos a bank, i bought a great suit at suitsupply recently and the experience start to finish was great for someone who doesn't like to shop. even on the high end suits, the material at jos a bank was an order of magnitude lower in quality than suitsupply. off the rack the ss suit fit pretty well, but the guy pinned it up right there AND their turnaround for tailoring is 3 days vs banks '2 weeks but i'll rush it for you'. hands down suitsupply.
I second this - I used to shop Jos a Bank for suits, Suitsupply is much better quality (material, craftsmanship, style) for value and better service.

DGE

Post by DGE » Fri May 26, 2017 11:13 am

Andyrunner wrote:Last suit I bought from him was a slim fit. Love it because I look sharp in it, hate it because if I ever had to squat down to tie my shoe, my pants will rip the thing is so damn tight.
That means it doesn't fit.

TSR

Post by TSR » Fri May 26, 2017 12:05 pm

For the Suit Supply fans out there, would this hold true even if there is not a retail location near me? My thought is that I might wander into a Jos. Bank store this weekend, make sure my fit is still the same, check out their suit quality, see if I should get a "slim" or "tailored" fit (I still don't fully understand their distinction), and then if I don't like what I see there, order essentially the same size and fit from Suit Supply. Thoughts? And I'd also take any thoughts on the various fits at Suit Supply. I'm guessing the Lazio is a good mix of modern/tailored and "court conservative." Thanks!

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri May 26, 2017 1:17 pm

TSR wrote:
For the Suit Supply fans out there, would this hold true even if there is not a retail location near me? My thought is that I might wander into a Jos. Bank store this weekend, make sure my fit is still the same, check out their suit quality, see if I should get a "slim" or "tailored" fit (I still don't fully understand their distinction), and then if I don't like what I see there, order essentially the same size and fit from Suit Supply. Thoughts? And I'd also take any thoughts on the various fits at Suit Supply. I'm guessing the Lazio is a good mix of modern/tailored and "court conservative." Thanks!
Unfortunately - my experience is that there is no standard when it comes to "tailored fit" versus "regular fit" versus "slim fit". Whether it is a dress shirt, sport-jacket, dress-pants, or a complete Suit - one "style" - say "tailored-fit" for one brand might fit you perfectly while another may not fit you at all. Personally I'd never buy a suit that I can't walk in and try on. For dress-shirts I've done it - but only when there is a full-refund return policy.
Nowadays - even the waist-sizes and chest-sizes don't seem precise anymore. What one might claim is a 36" waist is really a 38" and vice-versa.

As such - I can't compare Suitsupply to Jos.a.bank as their isn't a suitsupply near me (also - someone mentioned Jos.a.bank claims 2 weeks to tailor - must be a local store problem - the 2 stores I shop at are always 1 to 2 days).

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Fri May 26, 2017 3:04 pm

I like Suit Supply. I don't wear Long and was going to recommend J Crew (and even J Crew Factory) before you said that. Anyway, Suit Supply usually has a few good staples in their entry level $399 line that sound like they would well for you. (My wedding tux was Suit Supply and it looked great too.) I tend to prefer using my own tailor though.

I have trouble with the shoulders at J Banks. Too broad and boxy. But haven't bought from there in 8 years.

I like my Indochino suits okay. The tailoring credit is essential. I'd also suggest trying to find a pop up to get measured in person if you can. I'm 2/3 with them, but actually had to outright return one that was really cut poorly. I also feel their jackets are a bit chopped in the length. I don't need full "cover you butt" length, but too high and you look short.

Might check out Dappered.com for recommendations if you're not already a reader. Hits a good mix of value and quality.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Fri May 26, 2017 3:08 pm

TSR wrote:
I have a store in town so forget, but does suit Supply do free returns and shipping? If so, go nuts. You need to get the shoulder width right and the lapel width right (and sleeve length if they have functioning button holes). Virtually anything else can be tailored by a good tailor, and a good tailor is 1000% more important than the brand. Mine has worked miracles.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

TSR

Post by TSR » Fri May 26, 2017 3:19 pm

Nearly A Moose wrote:
TSR wrote:
I have a store in town so forget, but does suit Supply do free returns and shipping? If so, go nuts. You need to get the shoulder width right and the lapel width right (and sleeve length if they have functioning button holes). Virtually anything else can be tailored by a good tailor, and a good tailor is 1000% more important than the brand. Mine has worked miracles.
They do free returns and shipping.

MDfive21

Post by MDfive21 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:43 am

TSR wrote: For the Suit Supply fans out there, would this hold true even if there is not a retail location near me? My thought is that I might wander into a Jos. Bank store this weekend, make sure my fit is still the same, check out their suit quality, see if I should get a "slim" or "tailored" fit (I still don't fully understand their distinction), and then if I don't like what I see there, order essentially the same size and fit from Suit Supply. Thoughts? And I'd also take any thoughts on the various fits at Suit Supply. I'm guessing the Lazio is a good mix of modern/tailored and "court conservative." Thanks!
i have found at jbanks and mens wearhouse, the sizes are true to measurement. in other words, what the measuring tape says correlates to the size on the label. at suitsupply, the size is just a number. i was a 34 waist at banks, 32 at suitsupply. slim, tailored, regular etc are all relative. if you're really thin, go hugo boss. they are prob the slimmest slim fits i've tried on. suitsupply has shirts in slim and extra slim, which both fit ok, but the slim was a little more comfortable in the cuff.

so to echo the others, trying on and tailoring is more important than knowing your size. as a non-suit kind of guy i felt intimidated to walk into an actual tailor, but i would recommend you do that. worst case is you find out everything is too expensive and the guy refers you to a buddy who does work in your price range. best case, you learn something about suits from the guy who makes them and you walk out with a great fitting suit.

Countermoon

Post by Countermoon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:37 pm

For higher quality, the best bang for your buck is Brooks Brothers during one of their large sales or Suit Supply.

That said, if you know how a suit should fit you, you can go to Macy's and pick up two suits for around $400 during their big sales. They will look sharp and last long enough considering the price point.

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:59 pm

I eventually came to realize I needed a few suits recently because I have lost weight since getting married and starting a family (not as much time to hit the weights) and nothing really fit properly anymore. The tailor could not alter the ones I had and or it would have cost too much for a bad result so I had some shopping to do, ugh. Now I should preface this by saying I don't wear suits very often anymore, just occasionally. But I still want to have at least 1-2 presentable ones in my closet. I thought about custom tailoring (Blank Label and others) because historically I have had to do 2 rounds of tailoring to get things to fit right and sometimes was not even totally happy with the final result. And the selection in my size has also been somewhat limited. I read some of the yelp reviews of custom tailors near me and there were some real horror stories. So I decided to try Jos Bank first before shelling out lots if money for something I would not get too much use out of and maybe even putting up with a lot of unwanted aggravation. The Signature Collection Tailored Fit suit they offer (they also had a slim fit but too tight for me) fit pretty perfect off the rack for me. I was shocked to say the least. I only had to hem the pants. And I am picky about the fit and people have rightly pointed out this is the most important thing to consider. I am short and thin but work out so it's hard to find a good fit. The sales woman was super nice and it was a pretty pleasant experience overall. I got 2 suits for $200 each during a sale event. I should note that their regular price is a total rip off so you have to be patient and wait for a sale. I realize the craftsmanship and raw materials are not top end but I don't wear suits often anymore. They don't look or feel super cheap to me. So I was happy if the fit was good and the materials at least to me didn't look obviously cheap or shoddy. I consider that a pretty good bang for the buck because there were no expensive alterations required (my wife hemmed the pants). If you buy a suit off the rack you have to figure in alteration costs which get you pretty close to a custom made one in some cases. And it took very little of my time, and time is money. And if I ever need one again (not likely but you never know) I know my size and can wait for a sale and order it online.

Contrast that to the one I got from Macy's for my wedding 5 years ago which required alterations (back and forth to the tailor 2 times) and this more recent Jos Bank trip was a much easier experience and in the end cheaper. In and out fast. I hate shopping for clothes! The wrinkle is of course I don't know how long they will last. Obviously if they fall apart after a year the money will be a waste, so I will see.

If I did wear suits more often, cared a lot about better quality materials and workmanship, or if it was harder to find a good fit I would have been willing to spend more for a custom made suit. But I only need to have 1 or 2 in the closet that don't see much use on a regular basis. Everyone's body will be different so YMMV. And all this is a long way to say it may or may not work for you and maybe I just got really lucky. But I was happy I didn't have to spend a lot of money or a lot of time at the tailor to get something that looks really pretty good at the end of the day. I did wear one to a charity event and got compliments so they can't look too bad. And for what it's worth I have heard good things about Suit Supply so maybe check them out.

I think I can also help with your question about fit. At least with Jos Bank this is how they explain the 3 fits they offer.

https://www.josbank.com/suit-fit-guide

I have found other places to have similar names and distinctions (Brooks Brothers might call them Traditional, Madison and Regent or something like that) but the actual sizes and tailoring vary too wildly to transfer from one vendor to another. Just because you are a slim at Jos Bank doesn't mean you will be at another, you can't assume you have to try it on. I guess if they have a good return policy you could order a few different fits online from any vendor and see which one is best and send the others back. There seems to be little consistency across vendors in sizing unfortunately.

So, Hope that helps. Good luck.

P.S. - I went with solid Navy and Charcoal so they should pretty much never go out of style.

Tabulator

Post by Tabulator » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:34 pm

TSR wrote:a lot of places don't carry my size in their regular lines
Have you tried Todd Snyder online from New York?

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:38 pm

I'm a fan of Brooks Brothers's sales. (Father's Day sales have already started.)

And, if you open a credit card at the store, you receive another 10-15% off your purchase. Don't forget to pay the card in full so you have no interest charges.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:03 am

I gotta think that Jos. A Bank damaged its brand with past pricing. I still think of the time when they were lampooned on SNL, whenever I see a Jos. A Bank advertisement.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... 8588?snl=1

I don't have to wear suits very often anymore, but I always liked the Jos A Bank "Traveler" dress shirts when I did. I would think that the higher end suits at Bank would be fine for most people. Interesting information about Suitsupply in this thread - I'll have to look into them for my next, rare suit purchase.
TSR wrote:

klw084

Post by klw084 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:25 am

Someone posted this place a while back, and while I haven't used them I've been very curious.

http://www.harrysuits.com/suits

Basically, you get your measurements made at a tailor. You send the measurements to these guys, then you pick your material and style and they send you back a suit. The company is located in India and as a result, the costs are pretty reasonable for a custom made suit.

I forget who posted this company here originally, but they said they had purchased from them and highly recommended them.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:18 am

DGE wrote:Strongly suggest Indochino.
Have you used other MTM options like Black Lapel, Oliver Wick, etc to compare?