Lufthansa Premium Economy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
frugalecon
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:39 pm

Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by frugalecon » Wed May 24, 2017 1:33 pm

I am planning an overseas trip, and I am considering different alternatives for how to get to my destination. One option I have identified is Lufthansa Premium Economy. (The trip would involve both the 747-8 and A380.) Does anyone have reactions to this product? How close is it to the old "Barcalounger" style business class seats? My main concern is whether it would materially improve my ability to sleep over a regular economy seat. I could spring for business, but that would be a lot more money.

RandomFly
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by RandomFly » Wed May 24, 2017 3:15 pm

Seats are a bit wider and there is a bit more leg room. Other than that no appreciable advantage. There is no extra padding etc. I cant sleep on airplanes any way unless I am dead tired.

dbltrbl
Posts: 886
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:52 am

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by dbltrbl » Wed May 24, 2017 3:20 pm

fancy Name for essentially economy class. Yes seats are tad wider and about 3-4 in. extra legroom depending on airline. Everything else economy.

rxtra8
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:12 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by rxtra8 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:55 pm

I do not know about Lufthansa, but just took a trip from LAX to Hong Kong on Cathy Pacific; premium economy on the way out and economy on the way back...a direct comparison. For premium economy you get a significant amount of extra leg room, a wider seat ( seating is 2-3-2 vs 2-4-2 in economy) and much more seat incline plus a calf rest and foot rest. I was able to sleep quite well; almost laid out as in a lazyboy recliner. Other small things are a business class meal, noise cancelling ear phones and other small perks. Also checking in boarding are enhanced and possibly baggage . On the way back to LAX in economy I was not able to sleep and the ear phones for the movies were not good (could barely hear the movies) and the food was a definite down grade (still much superior to United).

I happend to go into the economy section and noticed a big difference. Other than being crammed in, it seemed that hardly anyone in the PE section was watching the entertainment screen but almost all sleeping, but in E, it seemed that more than 50% were watching the entertainment as it is much harder to sleep...anecdotal I know.

For me (will be 67 this year) the premium economy was worth it and I will use it in the future. A word of caution is that what you get is different on each airline.
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies

Globalviewer58
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:26 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by Globalviewer58 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:22 pm

Here's a link to a page describing premium economy on airlines. Scroll down to Lufthansa and the particular aircraft serving your routes. https://www.seatguru.com/charts/premium_economy.php

I have flown Lufthansa Business Class but not Premium Economy.

bigred77
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by bigred77 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:30 pm

I've made numerous long haul, 10 hr+ flights on a pretty diverse set of airlines. I always fly economy. I always fly whatever's cheapest.

I had the absolute worst experience with Lufthansa. I'm a big guy, so any long economy flight is rough, but Lufthansa was incomparable with how uncomfortable I was. I would not fly with them again unless the price difference between them and the next best alternative was crazy (50% off or so).

I can't speak for their economy plus offering but if you are considering their traditional economy class I would strongly suggest you consider a different airline.

Levett
Posts: 4177
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:10 pm
Location: upper Midwest

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by Levett » Wed May 24, 2017 4:32 pm

This gentleman describes our experience with Lufthansa premium economy on the A-380.

http://flightsandfrustration.com/luftha ... my-review/

We would certainly do it again.

Lev

User avatar
badbreath
Posts: 915
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by badbreath » Wed May 24, 2017 4:36 pm

Going overseas I always get Econ Plus. It is worth not feeling like a pretzel at the end of a long trip.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

3504PIR
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:46 am

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by 3504PIR » Wed May 24, 2017 4:39 pm

It is better than pure economy, but if it is an overnight flight, you are much better off in business class.

One note about Luftansa - I lived in Germany the past 9 years and avoided Luftansa for transatlantic flights whenever possible but still ended up flying them about 20 times on long flights. The reasons why included no ability to upgrade like a US airline and the economy class seats are like sitting on a wooden bench and my back would start screaming at me after about 4 hours in those seats. All things considered, if you have to fly Luftansa, I'd go with the premium economy rather than nothing if you are going to fly them.

adamthesmythe
Posts: 2288
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed May 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Haven't been on Lufthansa recently- but- for premium seating it will depend on the route in addition to the airline. When they roll out new or refurbished planes it doesn't happen all at once.

You can often find a website with a report relevant to your airline and route.

In general- in my experience- premium economy at minimum makes a long flight more survivable and the price is within reach of ordinary mortals. If you are tall or restless it may make a big difference to you.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2363
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by TravelGeek » Wed May 24, 2017 6:09 pm

You'd probably get better answers to the actual question (Lufthansa Premium Economy any good?) on Flyertalk. E.g., in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthan ... ights.html

I have never flown LH Premium Economy (like many here, it seems), so just some comments based on my experience with other airlines' similar products:

- Premium Economy is not the same as Economy Plus (or similar "extra legroom" sections); it is an overall enhanced product. Not quite the old business class with barcalounger recliners.

- Having flown both Economy and Premium Economy several times on BA, I would always buy PE if it is available at a reasonable cost. Only you can decide what you are willing to pay for the extra space, comfort, and other benefits (food, headset, ....) mentioned by others. I have paid 50% more than lowest economy fare on BA. So if one-way SEA-LHR was $800, I was okay with $1200. I am sure others would disagree. My wife agreed with me, and that's what mattered.

- I also factor in extra miles (status and award) earnings due to the higher fare class in my decision.

BeneIRA
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:43 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by BeneIRA » Wed May 24, 2017 6:22 pm

Just flew Lufthansa a couple weeks ago. I would recommend spending extra for the exit row seats. They are comparable with premium economy in terms of legroom. On my flights, it was an extra $100 versus $275. To me, premium economy was barely better than the exit row seat.

User avatar
Will do good
Posts: 686
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by Will do good » Wed May 24, 2017 6:50 pm

On American airlines it's call Main Cabin Extra, the seats are 3-4 wider and 6" more leg room, it doesn't sound like much but on a 12 hour flight it's worth the $100+ extra for me.

KyleAAA
Posts: 6759
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by KyleAAA » Wed May 24, 2017 7:54 pm

Never flown this particular fare class on Lufthansa but if it's anything like Delta economy comfort it's we'll worth it if you're tall. I'm 6'2" and an extra 6 inches of legroom on an 8 hour flight is worth a lot.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2363
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by TravelGeek » Wed May 24, 2017 8:03 pm

Will do good wrote:On American airlines it's call Main Cabin Extra, the seats are 3-4 wider and 6" more leg room, it doesn't sound like much but on a 12 hour flight it's worth the $100+ extra for me.
Main Cabin Extra is an extra legroom section, but not really more. American's version of LH's Premium Economy is called.... Premium Economy :)

Check out

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/exp ... -extra.jsp

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/exp ... conomy.jsp

I do agree with your judgement that it's worth the extra cost.
KyleAAA wrote:Never flown this particular fare class on Lufthansa but if it's anything like Delta economy comfort it's we'll worth it if you're tall. I'm 6'2" and an extra 6 inches of legroom on an 8 hour flight is worth a lot.
Delta's Economy Comfort is an extra legroom section, but not really much more. Delta, too, has a true Premium Economy product:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/ ... onomy.html

(that page has has a nice button popping up a comparison of the various classes)

Both Delta and American have their PE product on limited aircraft and routes. United has said they are looking into PE but don't have anything announced. They do have the extra legroom Economy Plus product.
Last edited by TravelGeek on Wed May 24, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Crimsontide
Posts: 723
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:32 pm
Location: DFW Metromess

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by Crimsontide » Wed May 24, 2017 8:09 pm

KyleAAA wrote:Never flown this particular fare class on Lufthansa but if it's anything like Delta economy comfort it's we'll worth it if you're tall. I'm 6'2" and an extra 6 inches of legroom on an 8 hour flight is worth a lot.
+1 fairly tall guy here, definitely worth the extra coin for an international flight. Not business class by any stretch but far more comfortable than the regular cattle class.

cheapskate
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by cheapskate » Thu May 25, 2017 12:55 pm

BeneIRA wrote:Just flew Lufthansa a couple weeks ago. I would recommend spending extra for the exit row seats. They are comparable with premium economy in terms of legroom. On my flights, it was an extra $100 versus $275. To me, premium economy was barely better than the exit row seat.
Thanks. This is timely advice for me, I have 2 long LH flights coming up. I had put in bids for Premium Economy (and would not have known until before the flight whether my bids were accepted). On reading your comment, I paid the 2x$100 and reserved the exit row seats. Savings of $400 over the bids that I had put in for PE.

SeatGuru's comments corroborate what you felt, these exit row seats in Economy have as much (or more) legroom than PE on Lufthansa.

an_asker
Posts: 2199
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by an_asker » Thu May 25, 2017 1:15 pm

TravelGeek wrote:You'd probably get better answers to the actual question (Lufthansa Premium Economy any good?) on Flyertalk. E.g., in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthan ... ights.html

[...]
+1! Flyertalk is the place to visit for aircraft reviews for sure!

TravelGeek
Posts: 2363
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by TravelGeek » Thu May 25, 2017 2:13 pm

cheapskate wrote: SeatGuru's comments corroborate what you felt, these exit row seats in Economy have as much (or more) legroom than PE on Lufthansa.
Near infinite legroom. Until the space turns into a waiting area for the nearby lavatories.

cheapskate
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by cheapskate » Thu May 25, 2017 2:36 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
cheapskate wrote: SeatGuru's comments corroborate what you felt, these exit row seats in Economy have as much (or more) legroom than PE on Lufthansa.
Near infinite legroom. Until the space turns into a waiting area for the nearby lavatories.
Hmm. I think it depends on the aircraft, according to the maps on seatguru, one of the flights I am on LH is a A340-600 with washrooms on the lower deck, not near the bulkhead row. On the other flight, the seats I chose are right behind Premium Economy, restrooms are towards the back of the aircraft.

This is the first time, I have paid extra for seats, will know shortly whether this was worth it :). LH can always change the aircraft type for the flight I am on, for example.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2363
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by TravelGeek » Thu May 25, 2017 2:49 pm

cheapskate wrote: This is the first time, I have paid extra for seats, will know shortly whether this was worth it :). LH can always change the aircraft type for the flight I am on, for example.
They can, but it's rare; if your flight is soon, I would not worry about it.

User avatar
Will do good
Posts: 686
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by Will do good » Thu May 25, 2017 5:32 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Will do good wrote:On American airlines it's call Main Cabin Extra, the seats are 3-4 wider and 6" more leg room, it doesn't sound like much but on a 12 hour flight it's worth the $100+ extra for me.
Main Cabin Extra is an extra legroom section, but not really more. American's version of LH's Premium Economy is called.... Premium Economy :)

Check out

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/exp ... -extra.jsp

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/exp ... conomy.jsp

I do agree with your judgement that it's worth the extra cost.
KyleAAA wrote:Never flown this particular fare class on Lufthansa but if it's anything like Delta economy comfort it's we'll worth it if you're tall. I'm 6'2" and an extra 6 inches of legroom on an 8 hour flight is worth a lot.
Delta's Economy Comfort is an extra legroom section, but not really much more. Delta, too, has a true Premium Economy product:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/ ... onomy.html

(that page has has a nice button popping up a comparison of the various classes)

Both Delta and American have their PE product on limited aircraft and routes. United has said they are looking into PE but don't have anything announced. They do have the extra legroom Economy Plus product.
Thanks TravelGeek, good to know. Wonder how much more expensive than my typical economy seat.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2363
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by TravelGeek » Thu May 25, 2017 9:26 pm

Will do good wrote: Thanks TravelGeek, good to know. Wonder how much more expensive than my typical economy seat.
It can vary a lot. It's not a fixed "surcharge" but rather separate fare classes. It could be 50% more than lowest available coach, or it could be less (e.g. if the cheap coach fare classes are sold out).

Last time I flew to Europe, LH Premium Economy was significantly more expensive than a very good Economy Plus seat on United, so I opted for the latter.

BeneIRA
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:43 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by BeneIRA » Mon May 29, 2017 9:30 am

cheapskate wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:Just flew Lufthansa a couple weeks ago. I would recommend spending extra for the exit row seats. They are comparable with premium economy in terms of legroom. On my flights, it was an extra $100 versus $275. To me, premium economy was barely better than the exit row seat.
Thanks. This is timely advice for me, I have 2 long LH flights coming up. I had put in bids for Premium Economy (and would not have known until before the flight whether my bids were accepted). On reading your comment, I paid the 2x$100 and reserved the exit row seats. Savings of $400 over the bids that I had put in for PE.

SeatGuru's comments corroborate what you felt, these exit row seats in Economy have as much (or more) legroom than PE on Lufthansa.
We didn't have the bulkhead as our seats were behind premium economy and I felt like I had more space than most of them did. Their seats were slightly nicer, but I was flying with my wife and we didn't want to be that far apart. They got a welcome drink of fruit passion juice and were served food right before we were, but other than that, I saw next to no difference. On one of our short hop flights the plane did change, but it ended up being fine as we had exit row seats anyway. We both came away from the experience that we would never upgrade to Premium Economy on Lufthansa and would, instead, opt for the exit row seats. Come back and let us know how it went.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18600
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by VictoriaF » Mon May 29, 2017 11:38 am

I flew Lufthansa from Prague to Washington, DC three weeks ago. I can't comment on premium economy because I never pay extra for better seats, but I can comment on missing my connecting flight in Munich. The flight from Prague was delayed by an hour, Lufthansa gate agents in Prague were incompetent, and I arrived to Munich after my flight has already left. I spoke with a very friendly Lufthansa customer service representative. She rebooked me for a United flight from Munich to DC the next day, and even got me an aisle seat on the UA flight, even though officially Lufthansa does not reserve seats on UA. She gave me a voucher to an airport hotel, which included a free shuttle ride to and from the hotel, a dinner and a buffet breakfast. She also gave me two bottles of water and a 10 Euro voucher for my immediate needs.

I was not in a hurry to get home, and my experience of missing a flight in a Lufthansa home airport was most pleasant. And so I booked my next trip to Prague with a relatively short connection in Frankfurt. If I get stuck there it won't be a bid deal.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Tabulator
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:03 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by Tabulator » Mon May 29, 2017 3:18 pm

TravelGeek wrote:Last time I flew to Europe, LH Premium Economy was significantly more expensive than a very good Economy Plus seat on United, so I opted for the latter.
What a simple but obvious solution. I am so strongly biased against United that I would never have thought to consider Economy Plus on United. How was it, or how is it?

BeneIRA
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:43 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by BeneIRA » Mon May 29, 2017 4:58 pm

VictoriaF wrote:I flew Lufthansa from Prague to Washington, DC three weeks ago. I can't comment on premium economy because I never pay extra for better seats, but I can comment on missing my connecting flight in Munich. The flight from Prague was delayed by an hour, Lufthansa gate agents in Prague were incompetent, and I arrived to Munich after my flight has already left. I spoke with a very friendly Lufthansa customer service representative. She rebooked me for a United flight from Munich to DC the next day, and even got me an aisle seat on the UA flight, even though officially Lufthansa does not reserve seats on UA. She gave me a voucher to an airport hotel, which included a free shuttle ride to and from the hotel, a dinner and a buffet breakfast. She also gave me two bottles of water and a 10 Euro voucher for my immediate needs.

I was not in a hurry to get home, and my experience of missing a flight in a Lufthansa home airport was most pleasant. And so I booked my next trip to Prague with a relatively short connection in Frankfurt. If I get stuck there it won't be a bid deal.

Victoria
I don't know that I would hold the incompetency of the Lufthansa airport staff against Lufthansa. I have had similar experiences with Turkish Airlines while in Prague. Our flight was delayed by 30 minutes and our connection time in Istanbul was only an hour. The Prague airport staff had no idea what was happening. It was a very different culture, for sure. I have flown out of the Prague Airport twice and both times, the security and staff seemed lackadaisical at best. We breezed through security both times due to this, but getting answers out of anyone was a struggle.

Beth*
Posts: 734
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:57 am

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by Beth* » Mon May 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Tabulator wrote:
TravelGeek wrote:Last time I flew to Europe, LH Premium Economy was significantly more expensive than a very good Economy Plus seat on United, so I opted for the latter.
What a simple but obvious solution. I am so strongly biased against United that I would never have thought to consider Economy Plus on United. How was it, or how is it?
LH Premium Economy is a better product than United Economy Plus. United Economy Plus is a basic coach seat with coach service and a few extra inches of legroom. In LH Premium Economy you get a wider seat and a bigger armrest so you are not fighting for control of the armrest with the person sitting next to you. And, the food and service are better. That said, I have flown to a Europe in United Economy Plus several times and it was fine. It was even better when I got lucky and had an empty seat next to me, but that is unusual these days. I would not fly that far in regular United Economy. That is just too cramped for me.

tmsul100
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:56 am

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by tmsul100 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:36 pm

Flew Lufthansa Premium Economy LA to Frankfurt last year. Pretty good, not great. Decent space, but seats hard to sleep in. The recline, but not close to horizontal. Would be quite good for a five or six hour flight. Not great for ten or eleven hour flight. In future travels by hook or by crook (points, miles, etc.) we'll try and go business class.

User avatar
GerryL
Posts: 1894
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by GerryL » Mon May 29, 2017 9:45 pm

Premium economy by whatever name is essentially what economy seats were like before the airlines began putting the squeeze on.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18600
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by VictoriaF » Tue May 30, 2017 10:17 am

BeneIRA wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:I flew Lufthansa from Prague to Washington, DC three weeks ago. I can't comment on premium economy because I never pay extra for better seats, but I can comment on missing my connecting flight in Munich. The flight from Prague was delayed by an hour, Lufthansa gate agents in Prague were incompetent ...

Victoria
I don't know that I would hold the incompetency of the Lufthansa airport staff against Lufthansa. I have had similar experiences with Turkish Airlines while in Prague. Our flight was delayed by 30 minutes and our connection time in Istanbul was only an hour. The Prague airport staff had no idea what was happening. It was a very different culture, for sure. I have flown out of the Prague Airport twice and both times, the security and staff seemed lackadaisical at best. We breezed through security both times due to this, but getting answers out of anyone was a struggle.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am planning to fly to Prague quite a lot in the near future, and it's useful to know that the gate agents in the Prague airport are generally incompetent, rather than exceptions.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

TravelGeek
Posts: 2363
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by TravelGeek » Tue May 30, 2017 12:09 pm

GerryL wrote:Premium economy by whatever name is essentially what economy seats were like before the airlines began putting the squeeze on.
I have been flying across the Atlantic for nearly 30 years. There were still smoking zones the first few years (yuck!). In-Flight entertainment was a movie projection screen and pneumatic headphones. Food was "chicken or pasta" (sounds familiar?). The economy seats were never comparable to Premium Economy. Not in width, not in pitch/leg room, not in size of arm rests. Never had foot rests in economy. I think there is a lot of nostalgia about how great air travel was back in the days. Economy long haul was never comfortable even when I was younger/nimbler/poorer.

Maybe your experiences go back further? :)
Tabulator wrote:
TravelGeek wrote:Last time I flew to Europe, LH Premium Economy was significantly more expensive than a very good Economy Plus seat on United, so I opted for the latter.
What a simple but obvious solution. I am so strongly biased against United that I would never have thought to consider Economy Plus on United. How was it, or how is it?
I was able to get 20AB on a 777 (V1) both ways. Bulkhead with only two seats. Reasonable amount of space, and window person can get out without the aisle person having to get up. My favorite seats in the long haul fleet in E+. Service was reasonable; I have flown United countless times and know what to expect. When I fly Economy Plus, I am not looking for a luxurious spa experience, but rather for a safe, reliable way to get from A to B, and that was provided.

The Economy Plus seats didn't cost me anything extra because I have United Premier Gold status.

All that said, if I hadn't been able to get a good E+ seat, I would have looked for Premium Economy on another carrier.

cheapskate
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by cheapskate » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:08 am

BeneIRA wrote: Come back and let us know how it went.
2 long LH flights (9.5hrs and 7.5hrs), 2 days ago. A340-600 and A350-900. My observations are exactly congruent to yours and others above.

- Paid $100 each flight for seats right behind the Premium Economy section.
- There was really nothing dividing PE and my row, except for a ~1 foot tall screen divider hanging from the ceiling.
- The seat configuration of my row was identical to PE (2-3-2).
- Seats in PE are slightly wider, and they recline slightly more than Economy. Neither is significant.
- Legroom for my row was much better than PE seats. The person in the window seat can leave without the aisle seat occupant needing to move. I am a bit over 6' tall, and I was able to stretch my legs fully.
- Restrooms are NOT anywhere near this row. On the A340-600, restrooms were downstairs, and on the A350-900, they were towards the back.
- Downsides. If you are bothered by young babies/toddlers crying on the flight, you might want to think twice about opting for this row, since families with infants will be given priority. This issue does not bother me personally though. The other thing is that the tray table and the screen are slightly smaller than economy - again not significant.

On my flights an upgrade to PE would have cost around 300 euros. I paid exactly $100 for seats in this row. I would definitely do this again on LH flights. I would never do PE on LH as long as I can get seats in this row.

Also, if you are a Gold status Star Alliance member, you might be able to get seat assignments in this row for free (I am not, but someone flying out next week told me they were able to get seats in this row for free, you might want to confirm that).

ragabnh
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by ragabnh » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:52 am

British Airways premium economy are great, seats recline further, definitely more space and seat width. Better food and service overall. In my opinion worth the extra money, will never fly overseas again in economy.

WhyNotUs
Posts: 1345
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 am

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by WhyNotUs » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:18 pm

Lufthansa A340 to Munich in April and did not notice a difference in PE and E seats. Definitely not barcaloungers.

I always check seat guru as sometimes PE seats are worse for me, ex. ones that will not recline fixed armrest, or have a tight bulkhead and other times they are a good deal. On the A 340, the next step worth considering for me was Business and I was unwilling to spend that kind of cash.

Compared to US airlines, I thought LH was step up!
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Tabulator
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:03 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by Tabulator » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:00 pm

cheapskate wrote:2 long LH flights (9.5hrs and 7.5hrs), 2 days ago. A340-600 and A350-900.
Wow -- the A350 XWB is a rare bird! I can only hope someday in the distant future I'll have a chance to ride in one. How did you like it overall? Did you notice a difference compared to the A340?

cheapskate
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by cheapskate » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:04 pm

Tabulator wrote:
cheapskate wrote:2 long LH flights (9.5hrs and 7.5hrs), 2 days ago. A340-600 and A350-900.
Wow -- the A350 XWB is a rare bird! I can only hope someday in the distant future I'll have a chance to ride in one. How did you like it overall? Did you notice a difference compared to the A340?
From where I was sitting (in the row right behind PE), I did not notice much difference between the A350 and the A340 comfort wise (2-3-2 config same as PE). I did not notice whether the seat configuration of the economy class rows behind me was different between the 2 aircraft.

LH has 10 of these aircraft flying out of Munich. It looks like Boston, New Delhi and Mumbai are the 3 destinations served by the A350-900 right now. Time to either fly out of Boston to MUC or plan a trip to India via MUC on LH :)

Rcf
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:53 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by Rcf » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:20 pm

I recently flew from Munich to Chicago on Lufthansa Premium Economy. I was very impressed with the seat comfort, leg room, food and overall service. I recommend it highly.

Tabulator
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:03 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by Tabulator » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:54 pm

cheapskate wrote:I did not notice much difference between the A350 and the A340 comfort wise
It bursts my bubble to read this and it is my fault for reading into the hype. On the other hand maybe your flight wasn't long enough to notice differences in noise or air quality or vibration. I would not expect any differences in the seats or physical space. I think the main indicator would be how you feel when you reach the destination rather than comfort in the flight itself. But then again, maybe I've been drinking too much Airbus Kool-Aid.

cheapskate
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by cheapskate » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:29 am

On my return back to the US, I flew Air France Premium Economy. Definitely recommend the upgrade to PE on AF. The upgrade was cheaper than other airlines I've comparison shopped this at. The difference between PE and E seats, legroom was significant on AF. Finally, as an added bonus, PE bags were tagged "priority" and were on the baggage carousel very early (along with bags of business travelers), the ground staff had unloaded my bags off the carousel and placed it aside before I arrived at baggage claim. On an A380 with 500+ passengers, this could be a large timesaver (I waited over 90 minutes the last time I flew in on an A380 Economy, although that was on a different airline).

cheapskate
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by cheapskate » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:39 am

Tabulator wrote:
cheapskate wrote:I did not notice much difference between the A350 and the A340 comfort wise
It bursts my bubble to read this and it is my fault for reading into the hype. On the other hand maybe your flight wasn't long enough to notice differences in noise or air quality or vibration. I would not expect any differences in the seats or physical space. I think the main indicator would be how you feel when you reach the destination rather than comfort in the flight itself. But then again, maybe I've been drinking too much Airbus Kool-Aid.
I was not attentive to the air quality or pressure issues on that flight. Reading up on these after the flight, I see that the cabin is pressurized to 6000 ft instead of 8000 on that aircraft, and humidity is higher. Both of which should definitely help on arrival. Will be mindful of these factors the next time I find myself in that aircraft.

Tabulator
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:03 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by Tabulator » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:17 pm

Have you flown frequently enough to notice anything new?
cheapskate wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:39 am
Will be mindful of these factors the next time I find myself in that aircraft.

cheapskate
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by cheapskate » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:29 pm

Tabulator wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:17 pm
Have you flown frequently enough to notice anything new?
cheapskate wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:39 am
Will be mindful of these factors the next time I find myself in that aircraft.
My wife flew to Asia on LH this month. She got the $100/flight leg upgrade for bulkhead seats. She felt the flight was very comfortable. No visible sign of jetlag.

My most recent trip to Asia was in August. I had to purchase the tickets on a day's notice, LH was expensive, so I chose to fly an Asian carrier. The plane was very old (maybe 40 years old), I definitely felt pretty severe effects of jetlag and dehydration. Quite a difference from the memory of my last trip to the same destination on LH. I plan to stick with LH for trips to Asia in the future.

UpperNwGuy
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:38 pm

Lufthansa economy class is better than most other airlines. Seems unnecessary to upgrade to premium economy.

02nz
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by 02nz » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:26 pm

I've flown LH's premium economy once (on an A330, but the seat is identical on LH's other long-haul aircraft). I wasn't too impressed. Yes it's better than economy, but the seat isn't that much wider, and it doesn't recline all that much more. Seat pitch is 38 inches (like domestic "first" on U.S. carriers), vs 31 in economy. I think only the bulkhead row gets a proper legrest, the others just a footrest. The food is the same as in coach but served on china.

I've flown a lot on LH's current business class product (as well as its predecessors). It's by no means class-leading, just adequate. But LH premium economy is still a lot closer to economy than to business - even the old recliners that Lufthansa had until about 2005 had a lot more space (48 inches of pitch if I recall correctly) than the premium economy seat.

Traveler
Posts: 644
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by Traveler » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:49 pm

I haven't flown LH Premium Economy but I did just fly AF's Premium Economy Atlanta to Paris a few weeks ago. It was a wider seat, much more leg room, better headphones, a small amenity kit, a nicer blanket and pillow. I think dinner was the same as coach. I flew coach on the return leg and it was fine since it was a daytime flight but I did think the Premium was worth it for a redeye flight. I don't recall the price difference but it was much less expensive than business class.

bberris
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by bberris » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:25 am

For cheapskates, before you buy premium economy, check seat selection to see how many empty seats there are in the back. You can stretch out and sleep in those center seats, 3 or 4 wide, on a typical off-season flight.

WhyNotUs
Posts: 1345
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 am

Re: Lufthansa Premium Economy

Post by WhyNotUs » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:22 am

I really like lufthansa for going across the pond. A noticeable difference from US carriers. The benefits of PE were worth some additional money but not double the economy fare. The level and quality of service in both economy cabins was night and day above American, Delta, or United. I recently signed up for their deals email as we are looking at another trip in the spring.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Post Reply