Tea recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Tea recommendations

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue May 23, 2017 8:46 am

I'm interested in trying some different quality teas. I'll plan to cold brew it an serve with ice as I typically prefer cold drinks over hot, especially in the summer. I'd like caffeinated but ideally not as much caffeine as typical coffee. For coffee, I enjoy lighter roasts (but strong) cold brew coffee. I prefer local coffee roasters and coffee shops over most stuff that is bought in the store or Starbucks - mostly for the lighter roasts, variety and freshness.

For brewing, I may just put in a mason jar with water overnight and filter using a coffee filter - or should I do something else?

Any suggestions on varieties to try starting out and good places to buy? Ideally there would be a sample pack so I would have to buy a lot of the same flavor. Anything else to keep in mind?

midareff

Re: Tea recommendations

Post by midareff » Tue May 23, 2017 9:36 am

Try www.teaspring.com when I was a heavy tea drinker I ordered from them frequently. Everything always came in quickly, perfectly packaged and exactly as described.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:45 am

When visiting Seattle for work, Market Spice was highly recommended by several people:

https://www.marketspice.com/

The Cinnamon Orange is pretty amazing:

https://www.marketspice.com/41-everythi ... mon-orange
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue May 23, 2017 12:13 pm

I like the style of tea called Lapsang Souchang; it's the kind with a smoky taste. I don't drink all that much tea and have more or less given up buying loose tea because, despite the cost savings, a half pound of tea just isn't going to stay fresh for the time it takes me to drink it. I like it unsweetened, whereas mostly I want my tea sweetened. I got some expensive and supposedly gourmet Lapsang Souchang from David's Tea and I liked it a lot. Lately I've just been buying Twining's Lapsang Souchang in packages of 24 foil-wrapped tea bags from a grocery store, and I like it just as much. So if you're curious you could try the Twining's. It probably isn't one of the faster-moving kinds, not all the grocery stores that carry Twining's carry it.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:36 pm

Upton Tea (http://www.uptontea.com/) has a great selection and will sell you sample sized packs (usually 15g) of just about anything they offer for a buck or two. It's a great way to try a bunch of different teas.

The sample bags are even sealed (airtight) so they won't go stale too quickly if you take a while to go through them.

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Tue May 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Do you have a Teavana near you? They have a large selection and I've always found the staff helpful.

forevernaive

Post by forevernaive » Tue May 23, 2017 10:52 pm

There are many good online suppliers if you want looseleaf tea, which I'd recommend for quality, economy and flavor. I'd suggest:

https://boulderteaco.com/

For cold-brewed iced tea I generally wouldn't bother with lighter and subtler tea varieties like white teas, even given the tastes in coffee you describe. Tea is usually much more delicately flavored and while it's hard to recommend against a first flush Darjeeling, I think it would be hard to taste its flavor profile iced--not to say it isn't maybe worth a try. But you might enjoy trying a Pue-erh tea, which is a partially fermented tea that has an earthy, malty flavor. Oolong teas are also quite interesting iced.

It's not the highest-quality black tea, but among flavored teas I also like the Cinnamon Orange Marketspice tea mentioned by a previous poster. I buy it from marketspice on amazon looseleaf. A nice side effect is that it tastes sweet without added sugar. In addition to cold brewing, consider trying brewing it as sun tea.

autolycus

Post by autolycus » Wed May 24, 2017 7:26 am

forevernaive wrote:There are many good online suppliers if you want looseleaf tea, which I'd recommend for quality, economy and flavor. I'd suggest:

https://boulderteaco.com/

For cold-brewed iced tea I generally wouldn't bother with lighter and subtler tea varieties like white teas, even given the tastes in coffee you describe. Tea is usually much more delicately flavored and while it's hard to recommend against a first flush Darjeeling, I think it would be hard to taste its flavor profile iced--not to say it isn't maybe worth a try. But you might enjoy trying a Pue-erh tea, which is a partially fermented tea that has an earthy, malty flavor. Oolong teas are also quite interesting iced.

It's not the highest-quality black tea, but among flavored teas I also like the Cinnamon Orange Marketspice tea mentioned by a previous poster. I buy it from marketspice on amazon looseleaf. A nice side effect is that it tastes sweet without added sugar. In addition to cold brewing, consider trying brewing it as sun tea.
I do enjoy a good first flush Darjeeling, but I think you're right that it's pretty far on the subtle end of things. I prefer Assam, Nilgiri, or some of the Ceylon (aka Sri Lanka) varieties if I want a straight iced black tea rather than a spice blend. Some of flushes of Darjeeling can be a little stronger and worth a try if you like a milder tea. I always thought the Chinese black teas (e.g. Keemum) were best served hot with milk and turbinado sugar because they often taste chocolate-y that way, but some varieties can be good iced and that's really more of a personal preference.

Some of the blends like the cinnamon orange you recommend and ones with black currant are very nice as iced tea and don't require the highest quality of actual tea leaves. Those who like mint should definitely try a mint and black tea blend.

Oh, and Boulder Tea Co. (which is basically just the online retail version of the Boulder Dushanbe Tea House) is also well worth a stop for anyone who is in Boulder, CO. Beautiful building, very good food, and excellent tea service.

Tyler Aspect

Post by Tyler Aspect » Wed May 24, 2017 10:25 am

I have made online purchases from Teance and Red Blossom Tea Company before.

Teance's best seller in Chinese Green Tea is Lu Shan Clouds and Mist. A good Oolong tea for beginners I can recommend Tung Ting tea.

I brew my tea using a steel tea infuser in a Pyrex glass measuring cup (the minimum configuration). Everything can be washed out easily, unlike a traditional tea kettle.

https://www.teance.com

https://www.redblossomtea.com
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed May 24, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks all for the recommendations and tips. I'm excited to try a few of them

magneto

Post by magneto » Thu May 25, 2017 5:38 am

Supposedly 97% of tea is nowadays consumed using tea bags.
As a determined loose tea drinker, find this difficult to believe and sad.

IMHO the flavor from the bag ruins the underlying taste of the tea.
Also poorer quality teas can be "hidden" in tea bags.

If not already familiar with the device see 'tea infuser spoons', to make one cup at a time without undue fuss and mess.

Enjoying even now a cup of tea, while posting !!!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men ...', Brutus (Market Timer)

Barracuda

Post by Barracuda » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:05 am

Totally agree that oolong tea should be taken loose leaf style, not tea bags. You just get more of the tea flavor from loose leaves, while tea bags are just broken pieces and dust. Loving the genuine Taiwan Oolong tea right now.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Barracuda wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:05 am
Totally agree that oolong tea should be taken loose leaf style, not tea bags. You just get more of the tea flavor from loose leaves, while tea bags are just broken pieces and dust.
Someone at work brought in Uncle Lee's whole leaf tea in bags.

http://www.unclelee.com/product_info.ph ... nic_Oolong
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:18 pm

Bought a bag of loose turkish tea through ebay that was great (and well priced) - just like when we were in Istanbul, nice rich flavor

mgullo

Post by mgullo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:00 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 12:13 pm
I like the style of tea called Lapsang Souchang; it's the kind with a smoky taste. I don't drink all that much tea and have more or less given up buying loose tea because, despite the cost savings, a half pound of tea just isn't going to stay fresh for the time it takes me to drink it. I like it unsweetened, whereas mostly I want my tea sweetened. I got some expensive and supposedly gourmet Lapsang Souchang from David's Tea and I liked it a lot. Lately I've just been buying Twining's Lapsang Souchang in packages of 24 foil-wrapped tea bags from a grocery store, and I like it just as much. So if you're curious you could try the Twining's. It probably isn't one of the faster-moving kinds, not all the grocery stores that carry Twining's carry it.
+1 Lapsang Souchang, though it may be a bit of an acquired taste. I also like oolong and rooibos teas. I usually buy loose leaf teas from a coffee and tea specialty store. https://www.coffeeandtea.com/product-ca ... _view=list
Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something. | -Thoreau

ER2023

Post by ER2023 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:52 pm

I order Adagio loose leaf green teas online and use their IngenuiTEA teapot http://www.adagio.com/teaware/ingenuiTEA_teapot.html

Have tried many flavors and they are all very good. I can't handle a lot of caffeine and prefer Jasmine Pearls.

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:13 am

I pretty much drink Oolong exclusively. The fun thing about Oolong is that they all taste completely different depending on level of oxidation, roasting, where it's grown and how it's processed. Some Oolongs can taste smokey and resemble a black tea while others can look and taste like a green tea. The best suggestion would be to order a lot of samples from various companies. The two companies I've been ordering from are; http://www.uptontea.com/ and https://www.arborteas.com/ Both of these companies I learned of through Bogleheads. :happy
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

deikel

Post by deikel » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:55 pm

https://shop.tgtea.com/

By far my favorite tea shoppe since decades. Their flavored black teas make even coffee fans turn to tea (O'Conners Cream).

Not sure which one works best for iced tea, I tend to stick to the hot brews, but they have plenty to pick from green tea to Chinese to black or lack flavor and herbal
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immidiatly and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

knick17

Post by knick17 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:58 pm

if you have a tea house around you go and try now and then and experiment urself, as teas are very hard to chose from, and not all are "good" when chilled.

I personally love Uron-cha or Oolong, which has a bit bitter flavour but very hearty as well and very flavorful

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:45 am

I have been drinking Chaga tea for a bit know. Its really nice. I saw there are a few companys selling it in tea bags, A buddy of mine gave me a large chunk.