Mexican Pacific Beaches

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
552BB

Re: Mexican Pacific Beaches

Post by 552BB » Sun May 28, 2017 9:29 am

Good morning BH,

Hello FreddieG.

FreddieG wrote:The wife wants to go to Mexico for a getaway (including our teenage boys). We're leaning towards the Pacific Coast, but I don't know much about Mazatlan vs Acapulco vs Cabo San Lucas, etc.

Can the members of this group give me some advice on what places they've liked there? A good beach would be nice, but wouldn't mind some historical or natural attraction sightseeing, if possible.

We live in Colorado, and the Denver airport is reasonably close.

Thanks.

I will put in a recommendation for Puerto Vallarta.

I have family that lives in the area, so I may have some bias towards the place.

We loved it enough that we purchased a condo on the beach a couple of years ago. Although it may not have seemed like a bogle-ish thing to do, we have not regretted it one bit. It has been used be me and my entire family, and everyone loves the condo and the area. It has turned into a great investment too.

The condo is in the old town area of the city (south side) known as the romantic zone, or also known as the Emiliano Zapata Colonia.

We love this part of town. Everything is within a block or two. We have a great pool to swim in. The ocean is perfect for swimming. We have a beautiful peer next to us. And we have some of the best resturants anywhere. It is truely paradise.

I will add one thing about someones comment about good food. If you come here, and the food is not some of the best you have ever had, you are in the wrong area. I would imagine that the Hotel Zone, which is where many of the tourist go, would have mediocre food. Puerto Vallarto is home to some world class culinary schools. Many of the chefs stay in the local area, or open there own resturants. Don't settle for less. You can truely have some great food in Puerto Vallarta.

As for entertainment, there is endless entertainment here. Just come and explore. I find it hard to imagine anyone not finding excitement and fun here. And because you are in the old town area, you will find great historical areas to tour. All within walking distance of this area.

One thing to add. From Denver, you can take direct flights to PVR and several of the cities mentioned in this post on Southwest Airlines.

I know because I fly for them!!!!!

I hope this helps.

:sharebeer

misterno

Post by misterno » Wed May 31, 2017 2:15 pm

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote:
NoGambleNoFuture wrote:
misterno wrote:I don't understand the hype with mexico and Caribbean islands

There are sharks everywhere, how can you swim in ocean knowing that there can be shark attack any time
What a boring life this must be - 75x more are killed by lightning //1000x more die bicycling
I certainly enjoy snorkling in the Florida Keys, that is a great cure for ennui.
what is ennui?

rterickson

Post by rterickson » Wed May 31, 2017 2:32 pm

misterno wrote:
what is ennui?
French for boredom.

seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:02 pm

We have gone to Cabo several times. The best part of our trip was driving up and spending time in La Paz. Fantastic beach at Balandra esp for the kids and absolutely wonderful day trips by boat to Todos Santos and surrounding islands. Next time we go down as an extended family we intend to rent a van at the AP in San Jose del Cabo, provision at Costco and drive directly to a rental house in La Paz. Get one with a pool and you have your own all inclusive resort.

Note, there are zero annoyances at Balandra. Bring an umbrella, food, and drink and prepare for magic where the desert meets the sea

Technically it's not on the Pacific Coast but no one seems to get the memo that the Pacific is not so Pacific at Cabo and Western Baja. Many beaches are too gnarley for anyone other than experienced water people. Some of the shore breaks are plain old nasty and good for nuthin other than watching and proclaiming how nasty they are.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:10 pm

misterno wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 9:44 am
barnaclebob wrote:
misterno wrote:I don't understand the hype with mexico and Caribbean islands

There are sharks everywhere, how can you swim in ocean knowing that there can be shark attack any time
Not sure if you are serious but, shark attacks are a very low probability and your fear is irrational when compared with the rest of your everyday risks.
Well I was serious

I went to Destine Beach in Florida once in my life. When I looked from the patio of my 5th floor hotel room, I can count the sharks and very close to the beach.

I will never swim in ocean again. Maybe puddling very close to beach but I would not swim away from shore.
Then forget about driving a car. Have you seen how many people are killed driving cars. Never drive again. How many car wrecks have you driven by. Don't drive it is very dangerous.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:39 pm

This post is a year and a half old. Maybe OP will come back and tell us where they decided to go and what they thought?

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:27 pm

I've been to Acapulco many times, but not in many years. I don't think I'd go now due to reports of danger (though I have heard it is isolated). It was beautiful 20 years ago.

Cabo San Lucas is an American tourist trap in my opinion. It has a lot of golfing. It is close to the west coast. The beaches are often closed/unswimmable due to a variety of reasons. The cab from the airport costs practically NYC prices. It is desert, so if you like that scenery, it might be for you. We enjoyed our stay and had good weather and the resort's pools, but doubt I will be rushing back. I didn't find a whole lot of interesting things to do (yes, there are the typical stuff you can do anywhere in Mexico beach place). It is also as far or further from the Midwest/East coast to Cabo than Puerto Vallarta.

Puerto Vallarta would be my choice of the places you listed, but I have not been to Mazatlan. Personally, a lot of the places Americans go now in MX are like going to Florida. Including the prices. I prefer feeling like I am in a different country and not one of tens of thousands of American/Canadian tourists when on vacation, but that's just me.

Edit: Just realized how old thread is!

mrgeeze

Post by mrgeeze » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:51 am

tyrnup13 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 12:04 pm
We went to Puerto Escondido last year. The beaches are very nice and most of the visitors are Oaxacans. The food is outstanding, traditional Oaxacan and coastal. Not a tourist haven.
+1 on Oaxaca and even further down in Chiapas.

Huatulco is full on local destination with highrises and boat tours.
La Crucecita has a variety of places to stay.

Further down the road is a place called Puerto Arista.
Very local beach. I think we were the only gringos.
Had a great time.
Easy to get around if you speak spanish.
Great mangoes!

JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:53 pm

SheReadsHere719 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 11:39 am
rick0 wrote:We've stayed in San Jose del Cabo. Near the Cabo San Lucas airport.

Same climate as Cabo San Lucas, but a bit lower key/kid friendly.
You can taxi or bus into Cabo San Lucas if you really want the party atmosphere!

Very safe both around the hotel area, shopping in stores, and in the downtown area.
We taxi'd around and also walked into the downtown. Seemed very safe.
+1 for San Jose del Cabo!
+2 for San Jose del Cabo!