iPhone GPS apps

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
catdude

iPhone GPS apps

Postby catdude » Fri May 19, 2017 5:08 pm

I bought an iPhone SE about a month ago and lately I've been using it as a GPS device in my car. I've been trying out the free Waze app and it seems pretty good. Just wondering if y'all have tried out other GPS apps and if there are any you can highly recommend. My preference is for free apps -- I'm a Boglehead, after all :) -- but would consider paid apps if they're really good.

Thanks in advance....
catdude | | “The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.” (Mark Twain)

keaton

Re: iPhone GPS apps

Postby keaton » Fri May 19, 2017 5:14 pm

I use Waze on land and Navionics on the water. Apple maps if I get stuck on it somehow and Google maps to find locations that don't come up on Waze as easy. 99% of the time it's Waze due to traffic rerouting and police alerts!

ourbrooks

Postby ourbrooks » Fri May 19, 2017 6:13 pm

Here WeGo is free and has offline maps, so you can still use it even if you can't get a cell phone connection. If you ever drive outside of big urban areas, this is well worth having.

The company which produces it is owned by a consortium of German automakers who don't want to be dependent on Google for their map data. Intel also has a share.

jhfenton

Postby jhfenton » Fri May 19, 2017 6:26 pm

I use Waze. It's the best I've found for real-time traffic and rerouting, real-time police alerts, etc.

inbox788

Postby inbox788 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:53 pm

ourbrooks wrote:Here WeGo is free and has offline maps, so you can still use it even if you can't get a cell phone connection. If you ever drive outside of big urban areas, this is well worth having.

The company which produces it is owned by a consortium of German automakers who don't want to be dependent on Google for their map data. Intel also has a share.

If you don't mind being tied to Google, Google Maps also has offline maps. I haven't used them much nor compared them to others like WeGo, so can't comment.

Katietsu

Postby Katietsu » Fri May 19, 2017 8:04 pm

I would have both Waze and Google maps installed. As others have said, Waze excels at incorporating real time traffic and alerts. However, many websites will only work with google maps if you just want to use a get directions link. Google maps can also let you "look" at the location before you go.

kjvmartin

Postby kjvmartin » Fri May 19, 2017 8:09 pm

Apple Maps has come a long way and works well enough for me.

Some things in my city are in the wrong spot if you're on Google Maps. This led me to switch to Apple Maps to get to the right location, and I found out "hey, this is nice!"

Give it a shot if you haven't done so.

ccieemeritus

Postby ccieemeritus » Fri May 19, 2017 9:51 pm

For skiers SkiLynx is awesome if your mountain is covered. You can which runs or lifts each group member is on. It also reports the percentage through the run/lift. It emails a report of all runs at the end of the day.

A great example of adapting a GPS app to a specific sport.

killjoy2012

Postby killjoy2012 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:11 pm

Waze [/thread]

Gatorbh

Postby Gatorbh » Fri May 19, 2017 11:13 pm

We get a lot of use out of iHike. It's great for hiking and other off road activities. It's not free. About $5 if I recall.

DSInvestor

Postby DSInvestor » Sat May 20, 2017 2:41 am

For hiking, I like Gaia GPS. I think we paid $19.99 but I think it's worth it. If you have family sharing on your iTunes account, others in your family can use it as well.

http://www.macworld.com/article/3077471 ... fline.html

For driving, I still like my garmin nuvi. It's been great for cross country trips in US and Canada.

stickman731

Postby stickman731 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:07 am

Waze for local around NJ and NY area, but preferred my Nuvi for long haul trips.

For traveling, I like the following:

iExit (let you know what food / hotels are ahead)
Maps.me and/or - UlmonPro - CityMaps2Go I like to download other countries / cities when I visit. Always helpful
HereWeGo - has a nice Nearby feature (events, tours, etc)

Ervin

Postby Ervin » Sat May 20, 2017 5:35 am

I like Sygic. Worth every penny of the $20 I paid for its lifetime offline maps (and many other features). It's light years better than the GPS my Toyota came with a few years ago. I keep the maps for the entire East Coast on my iPad, which also serves as my GPS.

It seems to be on sale for 75% off ($25) until May 31.
Last edited by Ervin on Sat May 20, 2017 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbradnc

Postby tbradnc » Sat May 20, 2017 5:38 am

Also recommend the app iExit - tells you what services are available at exits along the way. Very helpful.

Fletch

Postby Fletch » Sat May 20, 2017 6:06 am

I have used Navigon for years (works without cell service) and prefer its layout and display. However, it is very pricy; it goes on sale every once in a while. I believe it has been owned by Garmin since 2011.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

catdude

Postby catdude » Sat May 20, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi, OP here. Thanks everyone for your suggestions... I'm much obliged. I've downloaded a few of your recommended apps to my phone and will check them out...
catdude | | “The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.” (Mark Twain)

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”