Flat rate cell plans vs. tiered?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Barefootgirl

Flat rate cell plans vs. tiered?

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri May 19, 2017 11:31 am

I guess I have an unusual usage pattern when it comes to cell service. I am either using my cellphone very little (talk and text), but then when I do (usually when away from home, obviously) ....it spikes, then Consumer Cellular automatically bumps me up to the next tier, more $$, where I remain even until the next cycle, even if usage is low.

Maybe I just need a flat rate plan? are there cheap ones for light users? the need to keep monitoring and calling them after the bill closes is kind of a pain in the butt.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

mouses

Re: Flat rate cell plans vs. tiered?

Post by mouses » Fri May 19, 2017 11:38 am

Barefootgirl wrote:I guess I have an unusual usage pattern when it comes to cell service. I am either using my cellphone very little (talk and text), but then when I do (usually when away from home, obviously) ....it spikes, then Consumer Cellular automatically bumps me up to the next tier, more $$, where I remain even until the next cycle, even if usage is low.

Maybe I just need a flat rate plan? are there cheap ones for light users? the need to keep monitoring and calling them after the bill closes is kind of a pain in the butt.

You can ask CC not to automatically bump you up, that you want to control it yourself. They had my account set up that way for awhile, until I ported my main number to them and now I just run with one plan. There is plenty of room in my plan for usage without going over even when I yak a lot, and it's like $30 a month.

You can change CC plans at any time, it is not necessary to wait for a cycle end.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:44 am

Barefootgirl wrote:I guess I have an unusual usage pattern when it comes to cell service. I am either using my cellphone very little (talk and text), but then when I do (usually when away from home, obviously) ....it spikes, then Consumer Cellular automatically bumps me up to the next tier, more $$, where I remain even until the next cycle, even if usage is low.

What are you paying today for a typical month?

To me, the best of both worlds is a plan that is cheap enough, yet gives you the ability to FREELY use your phone as much as you want. Want to use your GPS for 4 hours on a driving trip? Do it. Want to stream music for 3 hours? Sure. Want to not use it? OK. The price is reasonable. Ever call and get on hold for 20 minutes and think "wow, this is using all my minutes?" I don't like that feeling.

I use H2O Wireless ($27/month including taxes on AT&T towers) for Unlimited calling/Unlimited texting/3GB 4G LTE data/Unlimited 2G data after that.

Cricket Wireless is another popular provider ($35/month including taxes on AT&T) Unlimite/Unlimited/4GB 4G LTE, then 2G

If you need Verizon Towers, then Totalwireless.com ($33/month including taxes on Verizon towers) Unlimite/Unlimited/5GB 4G LTE

Many of the lowest price plans use T-mobile or Sprint. These may or may not work depending on where you live and where you need coverage.

If $15/month is your "sweet spot", then you will have to give something up. Be in tiers, less data, few minutes. Sprint or T-mobile, pay as you use, no data, etc. Some will consider $15 vs $27 significant. I see that as bringing a sack lunch to work 1-2 days a month instead of eating out.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri May 19, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead | | Want to buy something? Watch this first: https://vimeo.com/41152287

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Fri May 19, 2017 11:47 am

How you considered using a prepaid phone carrier? I use tracfone. So long as I've paid for the talk, text and service days, it doesn't matter if I talk a lot in one month and very little the next. There are tiered purchase plans that typically favors buying in bulk over small purchases (i.e. you can buy service anywhere from 30 days to 365 days), but I don't think that would be an issue for you so long as you know roughly how much service you need for a year.