How to pick up good tires for the car?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
misterno

How to pick up good tires for the car?

Postby misterno » Fri May 19, 2017 10:10 am

I have a 2009 Toyota Yaris and where I live almost all streets and highways are concrete not asphalt (Houston)

And I drive a little crazy like 80 miles per hour all the time. This is a front wheel drive

I was getting Kumho Sense Kr26 185/60R15 Tire 84H all the time for the last 20 years or paid $56 for each last time I purchased

But now I am seeing deals in Costco and Sams from Michelin and Goodyear. These tires may not be the best of Michelin so I am kinda shy from buying those but for my car it is the same price as Kumho. So what do you guys think?

I am trying to find the optimum price where the tire lasts longest possible and also highway noise should not bother me. Kumho does not do a good job on highway noise

Any comments welcome. Oh I do not have a price threshold, I can pay $100/tire but as long as it lasts much longer than my Kumho I am fine.

dm200

Re: How to pick up good tires for the car?

Postby dm200 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:13 am

I like Costco.

Rupert

Postby Rupert » Fri May 19, 2017 10:15 am

Just read your other post. You've answered your own question here: Your tire tread is worn so quickly because you drive like a maniac. Driving 80 mph all the time is not okay.

alfaspider

Postby alfaspider » Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am

Rupert wrote:Just read your other post. You've answered your own question here: Your tire tread is worn so quickly because you drive like a maniac. Driving 80 mph all the time is not okay.

Driving fast in a straight line won't lead to significant additional tire wear. It's cornering and acceleration. I presume 80mph is all freeway. Having driven a Yaris before, getting to 80mph takes some doing!

jebmke

Postby jebmke » Fri May 19, 2017 10:22 am

Tire Rack is a good site to get information on tires. I have purchased from them in the past.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Inverted Pyramid

Postby Inverted Pyramid » Fri May 19, 2017 10:33 am

Michelin Defender they are 90k tires, I have them on the wife car great tire so far minimal wear after 2 years(~12kmiles).
$90 go to a local shop that sells used tires they will only charge you $10-$15 to mount and balance a tire, costco, tire kingdom charge $20+
https://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Defende ... B011O61FC0

jharkin

Postby jharkin » Fri May 19, 2017 10:49 am

I read your other thread - get the existing ones rotated and keep an eye on them. You still have some life left unless you drive in a lot of snow (I prefer no less than 4/32 for snow driving). As others mentioned steady 80mph cruising on the highway isn't particularly hard on tires, acceleration, braking and cornering, especially on hot dry pavement, is.

Go to Tirerack.com, look up your car and and then sort the results by most popular... look at the reviews and see what people like.

If tire rack has the best price you can buy there and have them drop shipped to a local installer to be mounted. Often local tire shops will price match TR if you bring them the ad however.

Everyone has different brand preferences. My favorite is Michelin. Bridgestone, Continental, Yokohama, Khumo, Pirelli and others all make decent tires as well. Goodyear and Firestone are hit and miss - some good models some real duds. Dunlop is best known for motorcycle tires, Cooper and BFGoodrich are most known for off road / truck tires. Nokian is the king of snow tires. At one point or another Ive owned every brand I mentioned except Pirelli and Cooper...

Kenkat

Postby Kenkat » Fri May 19, 2017 10:57 am

Rupert wrote:Just read your other post. You've answered your own question here: Your tire tread is worn so quickly because you drive like a maniac. Driving 80 mph all the time is not okay.

75-80 is the going highway speed around here. Some states in the plains and west have speed limits of 75 mph on the interstates.

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Fri May 19, 2017 11:00 am

80 mph in Houston? Aren't the highways too clogged to do that most of the time? ;)

Discount Tire is the no-hassle place to get your tires. They will sell you whatever you want even if they don't have them. You've already been to Discount Tire, so what's the deal?
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

deanbrew

Postby deanbrew » Fri May 19, 2017 11:01 am

Most sources consider Michelin to be at the top of the heap in tire quality, and also in cost. It seems you can get tires of varying quality from Continental, Goodyear and other brands. If you want to get more miles out of a set of tires, you need to look at how many miles the warranty is. While a 60k mile warranty won't guarantee they last 60k miles if driven hard, it's a safe bet that a tire with a 60k mile warranty will outlast one with a 35k mile warranty.

The best places to compare tires and read owner reviews are tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com, and also look at consumer reports and consumersearch.com. Or just go to Sams or Costco and buy what they have. You will get good pricing at Sams and Costco.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

midareff

Postby midareff » Fri May 19, 2017 11:20 am

www.tirerack.com read the different feedback for your car and tire brands.

alfaspider

Postby alfaspider » Fri May 19, 2017 11:52 am

livesoft wrote:80 mph in Houston? Aren't the highways too clogged to do that most of the time? ;)

Discount Tire is the no-hassle place to get your tires. They will sell you whatever you want even if they don't have them. You've already been to Discount Tire, so what's the deal?

I'm much more of a fan of Tire Rack. Selection is at least double what discount tire tends to offer. Probably a better option for hire-end tires where shipping is less of a cost component, however.

Bacchus01

Postby Bacchus01 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:28 pm

What?

80mph on the freeway and I get passed every morning on the way to work. I drive 80 mph for 2 hours every day.

jedblanks

Postby jedblanks » Fri May 19, 2017 12:30 pm

I've had excellent service from local discount tire stores in houston area.

One key to tire wear is keeping them rotated and balanced, which discount does for free. I've bought enough sets with them that they will even rotate my factory tires and wheels for free on newer cars.

Houston roads and constant construction can be rough on tire balance.

I've had all kinds of tires and I get the best combination of wear, comfort, quietness and performance out of michelin tires.

bottlecap

Postby bottlecap » Fri May 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Costco and Discount Tire are the consensus of all these threads.

In my experience, you wait longer at Costco and at places like Discount Tire, you occasionally get a bad rebalance.

Check out tirerack.com to make the decision as to the tire. Then shop. Usually either place can order a tire if they don't have it on the shelf.

I used to buy the cheapest tire until I bought a pair of Michelins. Long-lasting, decent ride, and no hassle. I'd recommend trying them at least once if they have a model that works well with your car per tirerack.com.

JT

P.S. I saw your other thread. When ready, I'd just buy a set of 4 instead of trying to salvage your rear tires.

misterno

Postby misterno » Fri May 19, 2017 2:00 pm

So the question for me comes down to this

Choose walmart or discount tire for tires with keeping in mind that tires need balancing and rotating every 6 months

Walmart

It has oil change with quaker state for 19.99 cheapest around
It has life time rotation for $9/tire
I can buy different tires from walmart.com and have them delivered to local WM for free. (Walmart.com only price matches with amazon and sears)
So go to walmart every 6 months for oil change and let them rotate for you?

or

Discount Tire
No oil change so I need to go get one from somewhere else probably more than 20 bucks
They rotate tires for free if you buy from them and even price match with anyone.
I am not sure if balancing is free
-----------------

I want to try Michelin from Costco but the waiting line scares me. Does Costco have free rotation and balancing?

bottlecap

Postby bottlecap » Fri May 19, 2017 2:58 pm

Costco's rotation and balance is "free", but you pay up front for the service when you buy the tire.

Keep in mind you also wait at Walmart. Just perhaps not quite as long. We usually plan a Costco trip when we need the service. You can also set up an appointment to cut the wait time, but I never do.

Undoubtedly you will save some time getting both services at once at Walmart. I do my own oil so it's not a concern for me.

JT

sulsj

Postby sulsj » Fri May 19, 2017 3:04 pm

tirerack
Reliable reviews are there.
They send the tires to a local shop and I go there to install them. Free rotation and maintenance.

Dvorak212

Postby Dvorak212 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 pm

I've always bought from Tire Rack but this last time I searched for same tire I was going to buy on TR and found Amazon had tire for a few dollars cheaper. Since it was eligible for Amazon Prime free shipping, I saved like another $40 on shipping that TR was charging.

IMO

Postby IMO » Sat May 20, 2017 12:07 am

I typically go to discount as they rotate tires without charge, have honored their tire "insurance", and really seem top notch for customer service.
You can go down ask them what options they have, ask for feedback on tire features and cost. You can go to Costco or other places and see what they have. Usually, they won't have the same tires unless you special order them, so it's hard to compare apples to apples. You can compare costs to mount, if they rotate/rebalance, etc.

I'm not sure how people can compare and give feedback on tires? I've owned a lot of tires over the years for lots of cars and trailers. But it's not like I can say the tire on my car is better than another tire. Seems like I'd have to take my tires off and then have the other tire mounted to give you an ideal of which tire I personally preferred (handling, etc). Just doesn't seem like really a practical comparable thing. Each tire has different trade off's with things like the traction, tread pattern, hardness of the rubber, speed rating, belts used, and then there is, of course, cost. Also tire performance is influenced by a car's specifics and how they are driven by an individual driver. Is one specific brand better than another, or is that just really personal bias (I mean, have you really driven the large number of options from multiple tire companies for the exact same car and made a side by side comparison?)

You can look up on line how tires are specifically rated, and maybe if you're lucky you'll find a consumer report or similar that compared 2 tires you were debating.

With that said, tires with higher warranties should last longer.

What I can tell you is that Tread depth is a primary factor on how Discount tire makes a judgment on when they recommend new tires. So in theory, start with a deeper tread and it will "last longer." But obviously it's not as simple as that, for example, your softer tire will wear down quicker. I can say from personal experience, I don't get caught up in the higher warranty tires for the price as in my experience they NEVER last as long as they say they should.

ladders11

Postby ladders11 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:11 pm

IMO wrote:
You can look up on line how tires are specifically rated, and maybe if you're lucky you'll find a consumer report or similar that compared 2 tires you were debating.

Yes, the government rates all new tires for treadwear, traction and temperature. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_T ... ty_Grading

Incidentally the EU rates tires for efficiency, grip and noise. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyre_label

I don't put too much stock in anecdotal online reviews, personally; and aside from some comparison shopping, I dock my instinct for thrift when choosing tires. Safety first and more expensive tires have actually lasted longer for me. I'm riding on Michelins, and not because they're cheap.

02sbxstr

Postby 02sbxstr » Sat May 20, 2017 4:09 pm

A tire option I've used successfully in the recent past is TireRack on the net. Huge selection, good technical info on their site, quick shipping and they can set up local installation for you.

IMO

Postby IMO » Sat May 20, 2017 10:36 pm

To complicate matters further, the age of a tire matters also. So for example, once I bought new tires for my elderly parents not because they were worn out (the tires, not my parents). But simply because they were 10 years old and I didn't want them having a tire failure on a busy freeway, especially given their age (both my parents and the tires). So the argument can be made, one should replace tires at less than 6 years, and that can also factor in on purchase decisions. (And for trailers, the age factor is often the issue to be concerned with, even if the trailer wasn't driven excessively.

"Tiresafetygroup
Tires Expire in Six Years. The evidence is clear: tires should have an expiration date. Older tires are substantially more likely to fail than newer ones."

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”