Where to get oil change?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
misterno

Where to get oil change?

Post by misterno » Fri May 19, 2017 9:42 am

I purchased new tires September 2015 , these are Kumho for my Toyota yaris

Fast forward, yesterday I was in Discount Tire getting air and the guy said my front tires have 5/32 thread

I was shocked, tires were only year and a half old

It turns out the walmart that I go for oil change, never rotated the tires and that is why the wear on the front tires was too much

Called walmart and they said they charge $2.50 per tire to rotate, So the oil change comes to 19.99+2.5*4=$30

Is there any place that does oil change including tire rotation for less? Walmart uses quaker state oil by the way

Walmart also charges $9.00 per tire for lifetime tire rotation

alfaspider

Re: Where to get oil change?

Post by alfaspider » Fri May 19, 2017 9:45 am

How many miles were in that year and a half? What is the treadwear rating of the tire you installed?

You should also check the alignment and whether the wear was even. Simply not rotating the tires should result wear that is that unusual.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:48 am

How many miles have you put on since September 2015? If you bought a 40k mile tire and put 20k miles on in a bit less than two years, then 50% of your 11/32 (new) tires would be gone, leaving 5/32nd left. What were the back tires at? Put the back on the front and then go for another 1+ years and it should even them out.

$30 for an oil change and tire rotation is very reasonable. You might find a special or a coupon deal to get less than that, but unlikely.

Some places (local Fleet Farm) will give you lifetime tire rotation if you buy tires there. I always do full synthetic oil. We live in an area with very cold weather for 6 months of the year.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri May 19, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead | | Want to buy something? Watch this first: https://vimeo.com/41152287

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri May 19, 2017 9:49 am

$30 for oil change and rotation seems reasonable. We have a number of local tire and service companies that run specials from time to time.

I think I paid around $50 for my RAV4 - synthetic oil.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

misterno

Post by misterno » Fri May 19, 2017 10:04 am

alfaspider wrote:How many miles were in that year and a half? What is the treadwear rating of the tire you installed?

You should also check the alignment and whether the wear was even. Simply not rotating the tires should result wear that is that unusual.

Maybe 10K miles at most

It was Kumho Sense Kr26 185/60R15 Tire 84H

There is no alignment issue with the car

misterno

Post by misterno » Fri May 19, 2017 10:05 am

bloom2708 wrote:How many miles have you put on since September 2015? If you bought a 40k mile tire and put 20k miles on in a bit less than two years, then 50% of your 11/32 (new) tires would be gone, leaving 5/32nd left. What were the back tires at? Put the back on the front and then go for another 1+ years and it should even them out.

$30 for an oil change and tire rotation is very reasonable. You might find a special or a coupon deal to get less than that, but unlikely.

Some places (local Fleet Farm) will give you lifetime tire rotation if you buy tires there. I always do full synthetic oil. We live in an area with very cold weather for 6 months of the year.

The back tires were better than 5/32 but I forgot

So I told the guy to rotate but he said the better tires should stay in the back

Do you guys know why better tires should be in the back? Logic says it should be in the front in a front wheel drive.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Fri May 19, 2017 10:07 am

misterno wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:How many miles have you put on since September 2015? If you bought a 40k mile tire and put 20k miles on in a bit less than two years, then 50% of your 11/32 (new) tires would be gone, leaving 5/32nd left. What were the back tires at? Put the back on the front and then go for another 1+ years and it should even them out.

So I told the guy to rotate but he said the better tires should stay in the back

Do you guys know why better tires should be in the back? Logic says it should be in the front in a front wheel drive.

Makes no sense to me. He probably didn't feel like rotating them. You generally want the less worn tires on the drive wheels.

misterno

Post by misterno » Fri May 19, 2017 10:11 am

alfaspider wrote:
misterno wrote:

Makes no sense to me. He probably didn't feel like rotating them. You generally want the less worn tires on the drive wheels.

That is what I thought

Maybe I should go back to walmart buy the life time tire rotation for $9/tire and let them rotate right?

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri May 19, 2017 10:13 am

If you buy your tires from a shop such as Firestone, you get free lifetime rotations with the tires, and they can also change your oil. $30 isn't bad though. With synthetic oil becoming the norm, oil changes today tend to run $50/60.

wageoghe

Post by wageoghe » Fri May 19, 2017 10:23 am

From everything I have ever heard and read, on a front wheel drive car, the better tires go in the rear.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/te ... ?techid=52

sport

Post by sport » Fri May 19, 2017 10:23 am

alfaspider wrote:
misterno wrote:

This is incorrect. The reason you want your better tires on the rear is for better control on wet or icy pavement. If you have better traction on the front, and do a hard stop, the poor traction on the rear can cause the car to spin. If you have better traction on the rear, the rear tires will tend to keep the car going straight rather than spin out.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:30 am

wageoghe wrote:From everything I have ever heard and read, on a front wheel drive car, the better tires go in the rear.

If you do that, then what is the point of a tire rotation? Your front tires turn side to side and wear out faster.

If you don't put the tires with more tread on the front, then the front two will wear out much faster than the back. In the OPs scenario, he didn't rotate and the front tires are now at 5/32 and say the back are at 7/32. If you put the two 7/32 on the front, then they will wear a bit faster and eventually even out with the back.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead | | Want to buy something? Watch this first: https://vimeo.com/41152287

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Fri May 19, 2017 10:33 am

Unless your tires are close to the wear bars, you can safely rotate the tires and put the somewhat more worn tires on the front. Then by winter time they should be closer to the same.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri May 19, 2017 10:42 am

Not all tires start at 11/32 new. Some tires like the new Michelin Premier have a lot less - only 8/32 from the factory. So we cant make an absolute judgement about the OP situation without knowing the specific tire model, size and his driving conditions/style. It *may* be excessive, it may not be.

misterno-
$30 for an oil change and rotation is an absolute bargain. I DIY and I cant even buy parts (oil and filter) to do the job for that price on most cars.

Have the tires rotated, and then skip a couple rotations until the tread depth even out and then return to rotating every oil change.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Fri May 19, 2017 10:44 am

sport wrote:
alfaspider wrote:
misterno wrote:

This is incorrect. The reason you want your better tires on the rear is for better control on wet or icy pavement. If you have better traction on the front, and do a hard stop, the poor traction on the rear can cause the car to spin. If you have better traction on the rear, the rear tires will tend to keep the car going straight rather than spin out.

Better traction in the front would have the impact of increasing front brake bias. Spins under panic braking happen when brake bias is too far towards the rear. A stock Yaris is going to understeer quite a bit from the factory- getting it to spin would be very difficult.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri May 19, 2017 10:53 am

The front tires are almost always going to wear faster on a front wheel drive car than the back tires. I would rotate the better back tires to the front and wear them down until they get even with the current fronts. That's going to maximize your tire life.

If you always leave the better tires on the back, you are going to always be replacing front tires.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri May 19, 2017 10:58 am

alfaspider wrote:
sport wrote:This is incorrect. The reason you want your better tires on the rear is for better control on wet or icy pavement. If you have better traction on the front, and do a hard stop, the poor traction on the rear can cause the car to spin. If you have better traction on the rear, the rear tires will tend to keep the car going straight rather than spin out.

Better traction in the front would have the impact of increasing front brake bias. Spins under panic braking happen when brake bias is too far towards the rear. A stock Yaris is going to understeer quite a bit from the factory- getting it to spin would be very difficult.

Cheers - You guys are both saying the same thing.

The simplification for everybody else is:
When the front tires loose grip before the rear the car will tend to just slide straight ahead and you loose the ability to steer.
When the rear tires loose grip before the front, it will swap ends and spin.

You may not think a Yaris can spin but put that thing into deep snow and it might. When I was a stupid teenager and my cheap dad put snow tires on the front wheels only of my 10 year old Honda beater I spun into snowbanks more then once, going quite slow coming off highway exit ramps under 30mph etc.
Last edited by jharkin on Fri May 19, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Fri May 19, 2017 11:00 am

jharkin wrote:
alfaspider wrote:
sport wrote:This is incorrect. The reason you want your better tires on the rear is for better control on wet or icy pavement. If you have better traction on the front, and do a hard stop, the poor traction on the rear can cause the car to spin. If you have better traction on the rear, the rear tires will tend to keep the car going straight rather than spin out.

Cheers - You guys are both saying the same thing.

The simplification for everybody else is:
When the front tires loose grip before the rear the car will tend to just slide straight ahead and you loose the ability to steer.
When the rear tires loose grip before the front, it will swap ends and spin.

You may not think a Yaris can spin but put that thing into snow and it might. When I was a stupid teenager and my cheap dad put snow tires on the front wheels only of my 10 year old Honda beater I spun into snowbanks more then once, going quite slow coming off highway exit ramps etc.

OP is in Houston. It ain't gonna snow.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri May 19, 2017 11:02 am

alfaspider wrote:OP is in Houston. It ain't gonna snow.

Fair point.

I think we all agree on the theory, and yes I think its safe for him to swap and let them even out so long as he drives cautiously in the wet.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri May 19, 2017 11:11 am

"Kumho Sense Kr26 185/60R15 Tire 84H "

The specs show this tire starts with 9.5/32nds when new.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... odel=Sense

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri May 19, 2017 11:18 am

A new oil change shop is not going to fix your problem. You must tell them what you want done, don't wait for them to figure it out.

IMO you should stop listening to the oil/tire change techs and take ownership of your automobile maintenance. You can still have them turn the wrench, but follow the maintenance schedule for your vehicle. Either blindly follow the Maintenance Minder or do some other regular pattern (I change my oil every 5k and also rotate tires at that time.)

Get the tires rotated. As previously mentioned the front will always wear out faster on your car since the engine is in the front and it's front wheel drive. I wouldn't expect too much out of that tire anyway, it's very mid-grade at best. Let these wear out and upgrade to Michelins next time.

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:44 pm

I live in the DC metro area and always get my oil change and tire rotation for $19.99. If you go online, you'll find coupons at Mr. Tire or NTB. After taxes and fees, it comes out to be closer to $25 or so.

Mr. Tire also has their own card (similar to a Target REDcard) where they take another $10 off if you use their card for payment.

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri May 19, 2017 2:08 pm

I'll stick to putting better tires in front to keep from slamming into the guy in front, which is the much more likely scenario then fish tailing.

misterno

Post by misterno » Fri May 19, 2017 2:15 pm

yolli71 wrote:I live in the DC metro area and always get my oil change and tire rotation for $19.99. If you go online, you'll find coupons at Mr. Tire or NTB. After taxes and fees, it comes out to be closer to $25 or so.

Mr. Tire also has their own card (similar to a Target REDcard) where they take another $10 off if you use their card for payment.

super duper

I just checked my local NTB and they have 19.99 oil change with Valvoline oil and free rotation

Thanks for the tip. no more walmart

I will rotate tires and let them even out and then try michelin

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri May 19, 2017 2:45 pm

I get my oil changed once a year when I get the state inspection done.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri May 19, 2017 3:29 pm

wageoghe wrote:From everything I have ever heard and read, on a front wheel drive car, the better tires go in the rear.

This makes no sense. If you put 4 new tires on a FWD car, the front tires wear faster than the rear. From the moment you drive it with new tires, the front will be worse than the rear. So how would you ever rotate?

I think you rotate the tires at 7,500 - 10,000 miles moving the more-worn front tires to the rear, and moving the less worn (better) rear tires from the rear to the front. I don't know how else you could do it.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri May 19, 2017 3:34 pm

misterno wrote:I purchased new tires September 2015 , these are Kumho for my Toyota yaris

Fast forward, yesterday I was in Discount Tire getting air and the guy said my front tires have 5/32 thread

I was shocked, tires were only year and a half old

What kind of car do you have? If it is a sportier model, it may have tires with soft rubber for better grip. I had a 2000 Honda Civic Si (a la "Fast & Furious fame). I used Kumho tires (don't recall the model). The tread was always below the legal limit at 12,000 miles. These tires were directional and the sidewalls were so stiff, the Honda dealer charged me extra because it took 2 people to install them.

wageoghe

Post by wageoghe » Fri May 19, 2017 3:48 pm

munemaker wrote:

This makes no sense. If you put 4 new tires on a FWD car, the front tires wear faster than the rear. From the moment you drive it with new tires, the front will be worse than the rear. So how would you ever rotate?

I think you rotate the tires at 7,500 - 10,000 miles moving the more-worn front tires to the rear, and moving the less worn (better) rear tires from the rear to the front. I don't know how else you could do it.

Maybe I was too permissive. What I've always heard and read actually applies to new tires (ie when you have replace two tires vs all four) as opposed the better tires in my post. The original post asked about whether or not new tires should go in the front or in the rear. Some responses in this thread say to put the new tires in the front. At the time of my post, of the responses that expressed an opinion, all were to put the new tires in the front. If one Googles "new tires on front or rear", the unanimous recommendation (as far as I can tell) is to put new tires in the rear. Obviously when tires are rotated, the "better" tires are not always in the front, especially on a FWD car. When the time comes that new tires are needed, if you only need two, put them on the rear.

Bob-a-job

Post by Bob-a-job » Fri May 19, 2017 4:12 pm

I get all my car repairs oil change from the same place - my local mechanics shop that I have used for years and who I trust. If the oil change is a bit more than the quick-lube shop, then so be it. In the long run my vehicle is well maintained and I sleep easy at night.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:29 pm

My last synthetic oil change for my non fancy car was $105 at a jiffy lube type place. I think $30 is a pretty good deal

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Fri May 19, 2017 6:55 pm

livesoft wrote:I get my oil changed once a year when I get the state inspection done.

Hmmm... that means I'd never have an oil change :?

For the OP and others, remember that Houston gets a lot of rain, often flooding I-10 and the loop in low spots (as well as the side streets bracketing the highway) so the issue of hydroplaning is definitely a consideration.
(That is when I-10 isn't a parking lot during "rush hour " :shock: )

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:17 pm

wageoghe wrote:
munemaker wrote:

Maybe I was too permissive. What I've always heard and read actually applies to new tires (ie when you have replace two tires vs all four) as opposed the better tires in my post. The original post asked about whether or not new tires should go in the front or in the rear. Some responses in this thread say to put the new tires in the front. At the time of my post, of the responses that expressed an opinion, all were to put the new tires in the front. If one Googles "new tires on front or rear", the unanimous recommendation (as far as I can tell) is to put new tires in the rear. Obviously when tires are rotated, the "better" tires are not always in the front, especially on a FWD car. When the time comes that new tires are needed, if you only need two, put them on the rear.

I've heard this before, but it doesn't make any sense. If you're putting the new tires in the back, and the front tires wear even more than the new back tires, why rotate them to the front now?

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sat May 20, 2017 10:06 am

munemaker wrote:

When there is a tread mismatch, for safety reasons the better tires go on the rear of ANY car, regardless of whether its FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD. Always the rear. The fronts tend to wear faster on all cars, fastest on FWD because those tires are steering , braking and driving, but even RWD wear the fronts faster because they still do the steering and most of the braking.

Rotating is how you even out that wear. Opinions differ but I generally do it every oil change or every 5k miles. Only if you had a vehicle that wore all 4 tires perfectly evenly would you never rotate - such a vehicle does not exist.

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Sat May 20, 2017 11:35 am

Better tires to the rear, always.

Good writeup on why here:
http://www.tirereview.com/so-where-do-new-tires-go/

"Since most tiremakers recommend not rotating tires front to rear if there is more than 2/32nds difference in tread depth, this may (especially on FWD vehicles) often eliminate the possibility of ever rotating tires until a complete set of new tires is installed. The rule is the same for AWD, 4×4 and RWD vehicles: the best tires on the back."

So possibly no rotation until you replace the second set of tires(the fronts) or do a complete set of four. Safety first, always.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:34 pm

jharkin wrote:
munemaker wrote:This makes no sense. If you put 4 new tires on a FWD car, the front tires wear faster than the rear. From the moment you drive it with new tires, the front will be worse than the rear. So how would you ever rotate?

When there is a tread mismatch, for safety reasons the better tires go on the rear of ANY car, regardless of whether its FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD. Always the rear. The fronts tend to wear faster on all cars, fastest on FWD because those tires are steering , braking and driving, but even RWD wear the fronts faster because they still do the steering and most of the braking.

Rotating is how you even out that wear. Opinions differ but I generally do it every oil change or every 5k miles. Only if you had a vehicle that wore all 4 tires perfectly evenly would you never rotate - such a vehicle does not exist.

In general, the better tires will ALWAYS be in the rear and you will NEVER rotate. The only time they will be equal is when they are all replaced, but as soon as you drive off, the front wear a little more than the rear, and the better tires are already in the rear.

AlwaysBeClimbing wrote:Better tires to the rear, always.

Good writeup on why here:
http://www.tirereview.com/so-where-do-new-tires-go/

"Since most tiremakers recommend not rotating tires front to rear if there is more than 2/32nds difference in tread depth, this may (especially on FWD vehicles) often eliminate the possibility of ever rotating tires until a complete set of new tires is installed. The rule is the same for AWD, 4×4 and RWD vehicles: the best tires on the back."

So possibly no rotation until you replace the second set of tires(the fronts) or do a complete set of four. Safety first, always.

If you don't allow yourself any wiggle room, then you'll never rotate your tires. If you go by the recommendation of 2/32nds, then you have to keep it up, and best to do it when the back is a little more worn (1-2/32nds) and you place the better tires in the front!?! Then wait longer until the front tires are worn to 1-2/32nds lower than the back and again, place the better tires in the front! That's the only way you'll ever achieve around even wear.
Once you hit the threshold of 2/32nd less in the front, you're stuck again. So you wear down your front tires and replace them, but by then, the rear tires are half worn out, so you have to put the new tires in the rear, and you can't rotate anymore. And unless the old worn tires in the front will wear out really fast before you take off 2/32nds off the rear, you're perpetually stuck moving old tires from back to front and buying new tires for the back. Supposedly this is not ideal for 4WD cars that prefer even tire wear, so you're likely switching all 4 tires and throwing away a pair of half good tires.

The only efficient solutions aside from living with this is to have a little wiggle room and be vigilant about rotating tires or give yourself a little more wiggle room when you rotate tires. I do a bit of a hybrid of that, which is don't rotate tires unless I'm putting a little more thread in the front. If there'a already more thread in the front, I leave it along until it's even or less.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun May 21, 2017 7:37 pm

Bob-a-job wrote:I get all my car repairs oil change from the same place - my local mechanics shop that I have used for years and who I trust. If the oil change is a bit more than the quick-lube shop, then so be it. In the long run my vehicle is well maintained and I sleep easy at night.

I do too. Sticking to a good shop instead of trying to cut a dollar here and there makes all kinds of sense to me. Anyway the guy is 100 yards away around the corner. I like doing business in the neighborhood.