f.lux software/blue light reduction for devices

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Barefootgirl

f.lux software/blue light reduction for devices

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri May 19, 2017 6:27 am

Although I don't really have any trouble sleeping, I continue to read reports that device use at night is detrimental to health, due to emission of blue light...disrupting circadian rythym.

Do any of you use the f.lux software to change the light of your computer screen at night? or similar? comments?
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

BrandonBogle

Re: f.lux software/blue light reduction for devices

Post by BrandonBogle » Fri May 19, 2017 6:30 am

I have used f.lux for years!

In my case, just starting it off right off the bat was too much. I used reduced settings for it to not get yellow. Then after a week I let it get further, then again two weeks later, then finally some more about after a month.

Sadly, my work doesn't let me put it on. When I switch between the two computers in the evening, the difference is striking and especially when I'm working on stuff late at night, it is MUCH easier on my personal laptop than my work laptop.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Fri May 19, 2017 7:22 am

i use f.lux on my windows machines.

I use twilight on my android tablet and chromebook.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .lux&hl=en

Quick

Post by Quick » Fri May 19, 2017 7:24 am

I use f.lux on all of my devices (if supported) and computers. It's a life saver staring at multiple screens all day at work. I never had trouble sleeping, but I find by using f.lux I experience less eye strain.

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:29 am

I have use f.lux for years. Now Apple has their own imbedded NightShift. Since it is integrated with the OS, it works just as well without tweaking.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri May 19, 2017 7:31 am

I use it. I seem to recall reading that the new upgrade to W10 will have its own version built in.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Fri May 19, 2017 7:40 am

Barefootgirl wrote:Do any of you use the f.lux software to change the light of your computer screen at night? or similar? comments?
I do but not for sleep concerns. It's more for aesthetics as our room lighting isn't as blue/cool/higher color temp as the screen. The latest release of OSX includes a similar feature if you don't need the additional control that f.lux offers. IOS also has such a feature built in.

You can collect comments if you want but I'd recommend just trying it out and seeing if you benefit. If you use Nightshift and don't find any benefit or find it detrimental you can disable it. If you find the same with f.lux you can remove it.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri May 19, 2017 7:44 am

BrandonBogle wrote:Sadly, my work doesn't let me put it on. When I switch between the two computers in the evening, the difference is striking and especially when I'm working on stuff late at night, it is MUCH easier on my personal laptop than my work laptop.
That's too bad. I've been using it for years, and we've installed it for a pretty good number of our users, so much so that we're looking at including it in our standard image (installed but disabled, so they just have to launch it once if they want to use it). The EULA doesn't allow that, so I've reached out to see if they'll sell me a commercial site license. Ironically enough, I did that yesterday afternoon, and then this thread pops up. :)

Some of our users want it for the typical reasons (early/late shift), but there are a fair number who have light sensitivity and leave it in "night" mode all day long. It's REALLY made a difference for these folks.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri May 19, 2017 8:01 am

heartwood wrote:i use f.lux on my windows machines.

Thanks for mentioning this. For Android, I found Twilight it in the Play Store.

For Chromebook, I could not find it in the Web Store, but I did find Screen Shader which had good ratings. Don't know if it is equivalent.

Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins » Fri May 19, 2017 8:25 am

Windows 10 1703 has it built-in as the Night Light feature. iOS/MacOS calls it Night Shift.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Fri May 19, 2017 8:54 am

munemaker wrote:
heartwood wrote:i use f.lux on my windows machines.

Thanks for mentioning this. For Android, I found Twilight it in the Play Store.

For Chromebook, I could not find it in the Web Store, but I did find Screen Shader which had good ratings. Don't know if it is equivalent.
I'm running it right now on my chromebook. It was first installed on my Nexus 9 tablet several years ago. I checked this morning on my chromebook before I posted above. It wasn't there. I went to the Play Store (using the chromebook) and it showed as "installed". I clicked "installed" and it showed the several devices associated with my google account. I clicked on the chromebook and it said it would be downloaded shortly. It was there about a minute later.

I'm not familiar with Screen Shader, but see the reviews. They all do similar things. It looks good to me.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Fri May 19, 2017 9:18 am

lazydavid wrote:
BrandonBogle wrote:Sadly, my work doesn't let me put it on. When I switch between the two computers in the evening, the difference is striking and especially when I'm working on stuff late at night, it is MUCH easier on my personal laptop than my work laptop.
That's too bad. I've been using it for years, and we've installed it for a pretty good number of our users, so much so that we're looking at including it in our standard image (installed but disabled, so they just have to launch it once if they want to use it). The EULA doesn't allow that, so I've reached out to see if they'll sell me a commercial site license. Ironically enough, I did that yesterday afternoon, and then this thread pops up. :)

Some of our users want it for the typical reasons (early/late shift), but there are a fair number who have light sensitivity and leave it in "night" mode all day long. It's REALLY made a difference for these folks.
Yeah. I had it on a couple machines ago. Around the time we moved away from Windows XP, we also got restrictions on what we were allowed to install by policy (though still had admin rights to bypass policy for good reason), and now don't even have admin rights. I would have f.lux installed on my laptop in a heartbeat if I could. It would help with my 3 am change installs!