Is it possible to patch a blanket?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Caduceus

Is it possible to patch a blanket?

Post by Caduceus » Thu May 18, 2017 10:41 pm

I have this blanket: https://www.macys.com/shop/product/laur ... ?ID=781082

Recently it's developed a relatively big hole, maybe the size of three paperbacks in the middle, but the rest of the blanket is in really great condition. I'm not even sure how the hole first came about but I should have taken care of it earlier.

Is there any way to get it repaired inexpensively? Where would I go for someone like that? Or is my only option to buy a new one? (Which I don't want to do, since it is $120)

The blanket is still quite new and was bought in 2010 but I think I washed it in hot water one time too many.

btenny

Re: Is it possible to patch a blanket?

Post by btenny » Thu May 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Take it to a good dry cleaner and laundry shop near you. They will most likely have a seamstress that does repairs of clothes and other things. He/she will tell you the cost to fix the blanket and if it is repairable.

Good Luck.

Teague

Post by Teague » Thu May 18, 2017 11:13 pm

btenny wrote:Take it to a good dry cleaner and laundry shop near you. They will most likely have a seamstress that does repairs of clothes and other things. He/she will tell you the cost to fix the blanket and if it is repairable.

Good Luck.

^^^ A precise blanket statement.
Semper Augustus

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri May 19, 2017 5:53 am

Caduceus wrote:
Is there any way to get it repaired inexpensively? Where would I go for someone like that? Or is my only option to buy a new one? (Which I don't want to do, since it is $120)

Looks like it is a 60 dollar blanket to me. Macy's runs sales constantly so nobody should be paying list price for those items. Even cheaper if that 15% discount applies. I doubt paying 30+ dollars to have it fixed makes any sense at all.

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Fri May 19, 2017 6:27 am

randomguy wrote:
Caduceus wrote:

Looks like it is a 60 dollar blanket to me. Macy's runs sales constantly so nobody should be paying list price for those items. Even cheaper if that 15% discount applies. I doubt paying 30+ dollars to have it fixed makes any sense at all.

Even better idea is to go to Overstock.com and search on "Ralph Lauren 100% cotton blanket". I did that and found a bunch that were around $30. I guarantee those will last as long as the RL one from Macy's and were probably made in the same factory.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

UncleBen

Post by UncleBen » Fri May 19, 2017 6:38 am

King is $71.99, there is a code that says buy online pick up at store get 20% off and if you go through ebates you get 6% cashback. So your option is to buy a new one for $55 or patch it and have a blanket that is 3 books shorter or narrower. I'd buy the new one (and I know how to patch and darn).

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Fri May 19, 2017 11:02 am

Either buy a new one, sew it up yourself, or try an iron-on patch.