Rice Cooker

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Lee_WSP

Re: Rice Cooker

Post by Lee_WSP »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:29 pm I suppose that a rice cooker is great for making sticky rice, but we've always taken the very simple approach of just 'drowning' our rice (i.e. cooking the rice in several times its volume in water). We drain the water when the rice is cooked, and it's always perfectly flaky, just the way our Southern palates like it unless we're eating sushi. :D
https://youtu.be/53me-ICi_f8

See this video for my reaction.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Since someone opened up this old thread.... We have rice probably 2x per week. I always cooked it in a pot for the last 20 years avoiding a uni-tasking device. After seeing a couple reviews from what I view as reputable source and reading more, I decided to take the plunge. America's Test Kitchen recommended the Aroma rice cooker for $30 (surprising since they typically recommend expensive products). I generally made good rice in a pot. However, it required close monitoring to determine when to shut the flame down. The rice cooker alleviates that.

To those that don't know, the rice cooker monitors the bottom of the pot. Since water can only get to 212 degrees, when the temp starts to rise above that, it knows the water is all absorbed.

I am happy I bought one.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

hicabob wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 7:26 pm I think the new electric pressure cookers such as instant pot beat a rice cooker for most things, but I have and use both on the countertop.
IP (instant pot) brown rice is the best ever.
I agree. My rice cooker broke and we've been using our pressure cooker to cook rice ever since. It cooks fast and the rice comes out perfect. We love it.

TravelforFun
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Lee_WSP wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:15 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:29 pm I suppose that a rice cooker is great for making sticky rice, but we've always taken the very simple approach of just 'drowning' our rice (i.e. cooking the rice in several times its volume in water). We drain the water when the rice is cooked, and it's always perfectly flaky, just the way our Southern palates like it unless we're eating sushi. :D
https://youtu.be/53me-ICi_f8

See this video for my reaction.
Chocolate and vanilla. Different strokes for different folks.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
anoop

Post by anoop »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:42 pm After seeing a couple reviews from what I view as reputable source and reading more, I decided to take the plunge. America's Test Kitchen recommended the Aroma rice cooker for $30 (surprising since they typically recommend expensive products).
Does yours have a stainless steel pot or the non-stick?

Do you have a problem with this where froth from the rice tends to boil over from the sides and blowhole? I used to not have this problem when I first bought it (it is 5 years old) but it seems to happen regularly in the last few months. I cook 1/2 cup at a time, with 1 cup of water and either Jasmine or Basmati rice. The problem happens with both rices even though I thoroughly rinse the rice (rubbing the grains against each other) until the water is clear before putting it in the cooker. The rice is always cooked fine at the end. But if I don't pull the lid off midway to let the froth settle, it would create a complete mess on the counter top.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

anoop wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:38 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:42 pm After seeing a couple reviews from what I view as reputable source and reading more, I decided to take the plunge. America's Test Kitchen recommended the Aroma rice cooker for $30 (surprising since they typically recommend expensive products).

Do you have a problem with this where froth from the rice tends to boil over from the sides and blowhole? I used to not have this problem when I first bought it (it is 5 years old) but it seems to happen regularly in the last few months. I cook 1/2 cup at a time, with 1 cup of water and either Jasmine or Basmati rice. The problem happens with both rices even though I thoroughly rinse the rice (rubbing the grains against each other) until the water is clear before putting it in the cooker. The rice is always cooked fine at the end. But if I don't pull the lid off midway to let the froth settle, it would create a complete mess on the counter top.
Sounds like you might have created a better seal over the years. The steam needs to escape somehow. That or the element isn't shutting off causing more heat. Ie thermostat isn't working anymore.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

anoop wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 5:02 pm
Clever_Username wrote:
rebellovw wrote:Do you folks wash your rice prior to cooking it? Wash - I mean - cover with water stir until water turns white - drain - and repeat about 2 more times until water is clear? If you don't do this - you usually have a gel like goop mess to deal with.
I didn't realize there were people who didn't wash the rice prior to cooking.
I used to be one of them until I learned about it. I first learnt how to cook rice in grad school from my roommate, and he didn't rinse.
Soaking rice, which my family did made the cooking times shorter, at least hour before, in the refrigerator, we had rice cookers, but mostly cooked sticky rice over the stove.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Mine has the non-stick pot. I haven't had that problem. Does yours have the cup on the side to catch overflow? Maybe that channel is blocked?
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

For the poster who re-started this thread with an inquiry about investing in an expensive rice cooker:
I don't see the need for one. Is your current rice cooker not performing well for your specific uses, or would this be your first dedicated rice cooker?

My rice cooker is a little one (Aroma maybe) from a big box store, two button operation, sized for two cups of uncooked rice, and it works great on brown rice. I haven't tried it on any other rices. The cooker hasn't ever boiled over, and the conventional lid with built-in vent, can go in the dishwasher.
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

I'll be the voice of dissent. I've been making rice in a Revereware saucepan with a lid that fits well for decades. I've never had a problem or understood what the issue people have with making rice might be.

One of my adult dd's has a Japanese friend who has been living with us for 6 months. DD was insistent that we keep the friend's rice cooker on the counter because it makes such amazing rice. I see absolutely zero difference and hate having the stupid thing taking up space on my counter.
shell921

Post by shell921 »

I had a rice cooker but it burned up in 2007 and I never replaced it. Now I just boil the rice for 5-7 minutes, strain through a collander into another pot, put the collander over that pot, cover, and steam for another 5-10 minutes.

Bulletproof and works with Japanese, basmati, brown, and converted rices. If you've got 2 pots and a collander, you already have a ricecooker.

Here is Jaime oliver's assistant showing how he cooks rice.
The way I do it is similar.

I bring the water to a more vigorous boil and then turn down flame and simmer it 5-7 min then I pour
the rice and water into the metal sieve & put that over a second pot I add more water & then I cover the
sieve and the pot over the water and steam the rice an additional 5-10 minutes over a very low flame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0oz1RhcN9I

Casper wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 11:37 am I've never used a rice cooker and am just wondering what is the difference versus making rice in a pot on the stovetop? I take one cup of rice and two cups of water, bring to boil, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Don't stir or open the lid. It's easy and comes out perfectly and everyone loves it. Is a rice cooker appreciably different? What does it do better? Not being smart-alecky -- just never used one before and am wondering if I'm missing out. We make rice frequently and if a rice cooker is that much better/easier I might look into it.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Pigeon wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:22 am I'll be the voice of dissent. I've been making rice in a Revereware saucepan with a lid that fits well for decades. I've never had a problem or understood what the issue people have with making rice might be.

One of my adult dd's has a Japanese friend who has been living with us for 6 months. DD was insistent that we keep the friend's rice cooker on the counter because it makes such amazing rice. I see absolutely zero difference and hate having the stupid thing taking up space on my counter.
It is convenience and also foolproof. Until last week, I also made rice in a pot for decades. The thing is, I had to watch it pretty closely when it got close to being done. This is due to variations in heat (I have gas burners) so I couldn't go just on time. And also because I cook different types of rice that take different times. With the rice cooker I don't have to watch it at all and it will keep it warm for hours if I need it to. I can even start it in the morning on delay and have it ready when I want and not have to think about it while I prepare the rest of the meal.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

shell921 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:25 am I had a rice cooker but it burned up in 2007 and I never replaced it. Now I just boil the rice for 5-7 minutes, strain through a collander into another pot, put the collander over that pot, cover, and steam for another 5-10 minutes.

Bulletproof and works with Japanese, basmati, brown, and converted rices. If you've got 2 pots and a collander, you already have a ricecooker.

Here is Jaime oliver's assistant showing how he cooks rice.
The way I do it is similar.

I bring the water to a more vigorous boil and then turn down flame and simmer it 5-7 min then I pour
the rice and water into the metal sieve & put that over a second pot I add more water & then I cover the
sieve and the pot over the water and steam the rice an additional 5-10 minutes over a very low flame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0oz1RhcN9I

Casper wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 11:37 am I've never used a rice cooker and am just wondering what is the difference versus making rice in a pot on the stovetop? I take one cup of rice and two cups of water, bring to boil, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Don't stir or open the lid. It's easy and comes out perfectly and everyone loves it. Is a rice cooker appreciably different? What does it do better? Not being smart-alecky -- just never used one before and am wondering if I'm missing out. We make rice frequently and if a rice cooker is that much better/easier I might look into it.
Washing two pots and a colander for rice? No thanks.
anoop

Post by anoop »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:10 am

Mine has the non-stick pot. I haven't had that problem. Does yours have the cup on the side to catch overflow? Maybe that channel is blocked?
This is the model I have:
https://www.aroma-housewares.com/kitche ... 753SG.html
Not sure what overflow cup is being referred to. If I don't open the lid and let the boiling froth calm, it boils with such force that it drips over the edges of the rice cooker.

The following is not my review, but the video demonstrates the problem.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revi ... B007TNXYYA
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

anoop wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:32 pm I always do, but I don't enjoy the process at all. There is something called rinse free rice, but I have never tried it.
That is for a special type of rice called "rinse free" that is polished during processing to remove the powder that you normally rinse away. Most rice cookers will come with a smaller measuring cup for this type of rice (mine is green), because it packs more tightly in the cup due to the polishing.

I have never seen rinse free rice for sale in the US, even at a dedicated Asian market.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

cheesepep wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:53 pm The Taiwanese steamer ones are amazing also. Place a small wet tissue in the middle, add 2-3 eggs and press the button down. Wait a few mins and no muss, no fuss hard boiled eggs. And you probably only used 2 teaspoons of water also if that.
Very interesting. Could you elaborate a little more?

I inherited a such pot. It has a lining pot and requires water in between. Where do I put the wet tissue? And exactly how many minutes do I wait for? No water needed?

Thanks for the enlightenment!
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

anoop wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:16 pm

Not sure what overflow cup is being referred to. If I don't open the lid and let the boiling froth calm, it boils with such force that it drips over the edges of the rice cooker.

This is the overflow catcher on mine:

anoop

Post by anoop »

anoop wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:16 pm

Resurrecting an old post because I just found something interesting regarding the above issue that posted about with sputtering & overflow when cooking rice in a rice cooker.

I started cooking with sonamasoori rice (a type of rice grown in India) and I have the sputtering & overflow problem with some batches but not with others. Currently, I have multiple packets bought from different stores, one with an expiration date of Feb 2022, and the other with an expiration date of June 2022. I rinse and cook them in the exact same way -- same quantity, same rinse procedure, same water ratio, etc. Yet with the Feb ones, I get the froth & boiling over, but with the Jun ones I do not. This is across multiple packets. I also noticed that when I have the boil over problem, I have trouble digesting the rice (bloating). One speculation is that it might have to do with the aging of the rice (and I don't mean the 4 months difference between the expiration), since all of the prior rices that I had the problem with were aged rices.
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

Perhaps I shouldn't post this since folks love their rice cookers, but there's a type of rice cooker out there that is unknown to most Americans. It's called a Persian rice cooker that puts a hard crust on the bottom, and it's to die for. Everyone we've ever given the crunchy rice to absolutely loves it. We also have a zorujshi rice cooker, and it's the bomb, but we almost never use it. Persian rice cooker only puts the crunch layer on the bottom, so the rest of the rice cooks normal, so you always have the regular rice and the crunchy if you want it. This is the one we got off of Amazon, though there are a few different options if I recall.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E7 ... UTF8&psc=1
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

SurferLife wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:51 am Perhaps I shouldn't post this since folks love their rice cookers, but there's a type of rice cooker out there that is unknown to most Americans. It's called a Persian rice cooker that puts a hard crust on the bottom, and it's to die for. Everyone we've ever given the crunchy rice to absolutely loves it. We also have a zorujshi rice cooker, and it's the bomb, but we almost never use it. Persian rice cooker only puts the crunch layer on the bottom, so the rest of the rice cooks normal, so you always have the regular rice and the crunchy if you want it. This is the one we got off of Amazon, though there are a few different options if I recall.

Interesting. I didn't know such a thing existed. I've made Persian style rice and it required a lot of fat. Does this require a lot of fat to get the crust?
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

We have a zorujshi rice cooker, it's probably 10 years old now and still makes perfect rice every time.

No thread on rice cookers is complete without a link to the infamous Uncle Roger video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53me-ICi_f8
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
catdoctor

Post by catdoctor »

[/quote]

Washing two pots and a colander for rice? No thanks.
[/quote]
+1
Hanopol

Post by Hanopol »

We went the other direction. From Panasonic to Zojirushi, now use a stovetop Donabe clay pot rice cooker.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

I have a Zoujirushi and it's great. I use the GABA mode.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

This thread caused me to ask some hard questions about how I cook rice on a stovetop. I would never buy a rice cooker as the last thing in the world I need is another gadget on the counter. It's such a simple process, it makes no sense for me at least.

It seems that there are several methods that give more or less good results. The Bon Appetit method has been a revelation (it produces fluffy perfect rice every single time):

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/the-p ... ot-of-rice

Heres America's Test Kitchen telling you how to cook rice and the whys and wherefores of what is going on. Basically they advocate the Bon Appetit method and explain why it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOOSikanIlI

Here's America's Test Kitchen telling you why and for what types of rice you do indeed need to rinse it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsENVMH ... 6bEucTzGdv

Here is an interesting article about someone who tries 7 different ways to make rice. The microwave method wins ... second is the Bon Appetit method.

https://www.thekitchn.com/best-rice-coo ... d-22994267
anoop

Post by anoop »

pezblanco wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:49 am This thread caused me to ask some hard questions about how I cook rice on a stovetop. I would never buy a rice cooker as the last thing in the world I need is another gadget on the counter. It's such a simple process, it makes no sense for me at least.

It seems that there are several methods that give more or less good results. The Bon Appetit method has been a revelation (it produces fluffy perfect rice every single time):

Heres America's Test Kitchen telling you how to cook rice and the whys and wherefores of what is going on. Basically they advocate the Bon Appetit method and explain why it works.

Here's America's Test Kitchen telling you why and for what types of rice you do indeed need to rinse it.

Here is an interesting article about someone who tries 7 different ways to make rice. The microwave method wins ... second is the Bon Appetit method.

It is easy, but it requires focus. I tend to just get the rice cooker going and then get busy with other food prep. Many times, I even forget to set a timer when I'm cooking dishes (e.g. pasta) on a stovetop. I can recover from that with pasta or vegetable by testing to see if it's done. Recovering from bad timing with rice is a lot harder.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

pezblanco wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:49 am This thread caused me to ask some hard questions about how I cook rice on a stovetop. I would never buy a rice cooker as the last thing in the world I need is another gadget on the counter. It's such a simple process, it makes no sense for me at least.

The Bon Appetit method gets a 4.2 out of 5 rating...so hardly perfect. I think the issue is cooking it on "low" for 18 minutes exactly. "Low" varies widely from stove to stove so I don't see how this could be foolproof. On my 5 burner stove every burner has a different BTU for "low". Of course, you can time it on your stove and make adjustments as needed.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

cheesepep wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:53 pm I eat rice every day, sometimes 3X a day, but usually at least 2 times. I've owned and used 3 kinds of rice cookers over the years: 1) the simple one button ones, 2) the multi-functional ones (Zojirushi ones), 3) the taiwanese steamer ones.

The best one in my opinion are the multi-functional ones but not the Zojirushi type. Get an even simpler model with maybe three settings such as rice, rice porridge, and soup. Nothing else. Can use one of the settings for stew, cake, chicken, etc, and it comes out wonderfully. However, the one button ones are a close 2nd. Nothing beats simplicity.

The Taiwanese steamer ones are amazing also. Place a small wet tissue in the middle, add 2-3 eggs and press the button down. Wait a few mins and no muss, no fuss hard boiled eggs. And you probably only used 2 teaspoons of water also if that.
My wife swears by her Instant Pot but she never used the rice cooker feature. She always makes rice on the stove.

The Instant Pot is wonderful for making stews, curries, hard boiled eggs (a breeze to peel), yogurt, cheese, and steamed veggies.
We plan. G-d laughs.
Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

MishkaWorries wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:07 pm My wife swears by her Instant Pot but she never used the rice cooker feature. She always makes rice on the stove.
Try the the Instant Pot rice cooking feature, you might like it. We did and we do. It makes very good, fluffy rice and requires no attention. Set it and then forget it until time to serve.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
bryansmile

Post by bryansmile »

Get the smallest (3 qt) instant pot when it's on sale. It doesn't take up much space, and the stainless steel inner pot interior is hard to find for a good rice cooker in that price range.
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

MishkaWorries wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:07 pm
cheesepep wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:53 pm I eat rice every day, sometimes 3X a day, but usually at least 2 times. I've owned and used 3 kinds of rice cookers over the years: 1) the simple one button ones, 2) the multi-functional ones (Zojirushi ones), 3) the taiwanese steamer ones.

The best one in my opinion are the multi-functional ones but not the Zojirushi type. Get an even simpler model with maybe three settings such as rice, rice porridge, and soup. Nothing else. Can use one of the settings for stew, cake, chicken, etc, and it comes out wonderfully. However, the one button ones are a close 2nd. Nothing beats simplicity.

The Taiwanese steamer ones are amazing also. Place a small wet tissue in the middle, add 2-3 eggs and press the button down. Wait a few mins and no muss, no fuss hard boiled eggs. And you probably only used 2 teaspoons of water also if that.
My wife swears by her Instant Pot but she never used the rice cooker feature. She always makes rice on the stove.

The Instant Pot is wonderful for making stews, curries, hard boiled eggs (a breeze to peel), yogurt, cheese, and steamed veggies.
We tried the InstaPot for rice and decided we prefer the Zojirushi much more. Once you get the IP dialed-in I'm sure it works great, but we never got to that point.
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:55 am
SurferLife wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:51 am Perhaps I shouldn't post this since folks love their rice cookers, but there's a type of rice cooker out there that is unknown to most Americans. It's called a Persian rice cooker that puts a hard crust on the bottom, and it's to die for. Everyone we've ever given the crunchy rice to absolutely loves it. We also have a zorujshi rice cooker, and it's the bomb, but we almost never use it. Persian rice cooker only puts the crunch layer on the bottom, so the rest of the rice cooks normal, so you always have the regular rice and the crunchy if you want it. This is the one we got off of Amazon, though there are a few different options if I recall.

Interesting. I didn't know such a thing existed. I've made Persian style rice and it required a lot of fat. Does this require a lot of fat to get the crust?
We use a few tablespoons of butter which I'm sure helps to crust it up, though I wouldn't say it's "a lot" relative to the amount of rice you are making.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:57 am

The Bon Appetit method gets a 4.2 out of 5 rating...so hardly perfect. I think the issue is cooking it on "low" for 18 minutes exactly. "Low" varies widely from stove to stove so I don't see how this could be foolproof. On my 5 burner stove every burner has a different BTU for "low". Of course, you can time it on your stove and make adjustments as needed.
Yes, it's hard to make things foolproof ... fools are so inventive!

I think Bon Appetit and America's Test Kitchen assume that the cook can simmer something gently on a cooktop for 18 minutes. If that assumption is unwarranted, then definitely a rice cooker needs to be purchased ...
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

pezblanco wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:58 pm

I think Bon Appetit and America's Test Kitchen assume that the cook can simmer something gently on a cooktop for 18 minutes. If that assumption is unwarranted, then definitely a rice cooker needs to be purchased ...
Cooking rice on the stove is easy, but there can be great variability in the process due to the type of rice used and amount made. It can be time consuming and is easy to ruin if you accidently overcook it. It's no different than having a dishwasher really. It's a tool that helps people save time and usually does the job better at the task than we can do. For a busy household, these tools are indispensable in preserving your sanity. Also, one thing rice cookers are great at is keeping the rice warm long after being cooked, something you can't do on the stove.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

pezblanco wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:58 pm

I cooked rice on the stove thousands of times for 25+ years. It usually came out great. The problems occurred when I was involved in cooking, prepping other stuff, the phone rang, the doorbell rang, a guest needed something, etc. and got distracted. So, for me it was worth the $30 investment. Mine is pretty small too so it doesn't take up much counterspace (it is in an appliance garage out of view when not in use). YMMV
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I recommend people trying different kinds of rice and not just the ordinary white and brown. Try purple, black, and red! Not joking. I mix half black or purple with half white jasmine rice and it is wonderful. And long grain rice is best for most purposes. Also try half half glutinous rice with "normal" rice and be pleasantly surprised. One of the best smells in life is the smell of rice bubbling away as it is being steamed.
telemark

Post by telemark »

I use a saucepan with a Marna piggy steamer. Makes very light, fluffy rice without leaving a crust or seeming to depend much on exact times and temperatures. For the last five minutes or so I turn the heat off and just let it sit.