Neighbor draining onto / flooding my patio and yard daily - what can I do?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Buford T Justiice

Re: Neighbor draining onto / flooding my patio and yard daily - what can I do?

Postby Buford T Justiice » Fri May 19, 2017 7:27 pm

Because the concrete is right up to the property line, I think this is your problem.

My one word solution: "sandbags".

Against the fence / property line.

inbox788

Postby inbox788 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:13 pm

Looked at the pictures. Looks like grade runs into garage, which is very bad. Can't tell which way driveway goes, but appears to be fairly flat. Should have been graded either towards the street or towards the backyard, whichever is lower. In picture number 4 (IMG_4255), pooling towards the back of the concrete and grass is were I assume you're having soggy area. A lot of water runs into this area and it's probably saturated with poor downward seeping drainage.

The concrete is cracked a bit; when did you plan on having it redone? That's a good opportunity to fix part of the drainage problem.

JonnyDVM

Postby JonnyDVM » Fri May 19, 2017 9:47 pm

livesoft wrote:
Elemental wrote:
livesoft wrote:Why not a small ditch along your property line to get that water to some place that you need it? Or it could be just in front of patio so that your lawn is watered for free by the neighbor. This could be elaborate like a French drain ... or not. You could even have a diverter to send it back where it came from.

My concrete goes right up to the fence line, so I would need to cut out and remove some concrete for a ditch. How wide would you guess it should be?
Would the ditch need to be lined with plastic or something to prevent it from going under the concrete?

Google "French Drain". I've seen them only 1 inch wide.

That's what I was going to suggest
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

Elemental

Postby Elemental » Fri May 19, 2017 10:53 pm

inbox788 wrote:The concrete is cracked a bit; when did you plan on having it redone? That's a good opportunity to fix part of the drainage problem.

Replacing that area of concrete was towards the bottom of the list of things to do. It may have to be done now.

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Fri May 19, 2017 11:01 pm

You don't need to replace the concrete, just have it removed.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Elemental

Postby Elemental » Fri May 19, 2017 11:06 pm

muddlehead wrote:Interesting situation. Pics are useful. Short of cutting into the concrete / french drain / etc ... How's about something like slender long sand bags / tubes. Thinking of the shape of front door draft stoppers I've seen advertised. Or swimming pool noodles.

I actually just deployed something like that tonight. Here's a link to it: http://amzn.to/2r2qBlU

I'm trying this out, but I probably need real sandbags until I can get a landscaper to call me back.

BHUser27

Postby BHUser27 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:54 am

There are lots of variations on this type of product that could work.

Elemental

Postby Elemental » Sat May 20, 2017 9:21 am

BHUser27 wrote:There are lots of variations on this type of product that could work.

Where does the water go? Is there a pipe down there that takes it somewhere?

Edit: nevermind, I see it works like a gutter. I guess I'd have to have it slope in one direction for the water to run off.

jharkin

Postby jharkin » Sat May 20, 2017 9:59 am

vitaflo wrote:
bottlecap wrote:It sounds like you have a drainage problem that you need to fix. Surely a person has a right to water their lawn.

Surely he has a right, but watering every day is one of the dumber things he can do to his lawn. If your lawn is healthy you shouldn't have to water more than once per week, and that's assuming it hasn't rained at all.

Overwatering just causes you to have to water more often. He's literally wasting his money. May as well just turn the faucet on before he goes to bed every night too, it's about the same thing.

Exactly! Watering every day just encourages shallow roots, excessive growth and weeds that makes you mow more often. It also promotes lawn diseases, fungi,etc. A once a week DEEP watering is better, encourage deep root growth, makes the lawn more drought and disease tolerant and naturally weed resistant.

We could dig up a bunch of research articles on this that you could forward to your neighbor and hopefully convince him that it will be in HIS best interest to stop this waste.

Mudpuppy

Postby Mudpuppy » Sat May 20, 2017 2:43 pm

jharkin wrote:Exactly! Watering every day just encourages shallow roots, excessive growth and weeds that makes you mow more often. It also promotes lawn diseases, fungi,etc. A once a week DEEP watering is better, encourage deep root growth, makes the lawn more drought and disease tolerant and naturally weed resistant.

We could dig up a bunch of research articles on this that you could forward to your neighbor and hopefully convince him that it will be in HIS best interest to stop this waste.

The neighbor is battling cancer and has lost his job. I'm pretty sure the health of his yard and the run-off to the neighbor's yard are pretty low on his list of priorities at the moment. Besides, this issue goes well beyond over-watering by the neighbor. The OP has several drainage issues on his own property that need to be fixed.

The OP should focus on what he can fix: the drainage issues in his own yard. If a storm rolls through and dumps a lot of rain, fixing the drainage issues will make the OP's house weather the storm much better instead of turning into a soggy, flooded mess. And it will also send the neighbor's over-watering down the storm drain with no muss or fuss.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”