Chandler, AZ

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Retired CPA

Chandler, AZ

Post by Retired CPA » Thu May 18, 2017 9:29 am

We will be relocating from South Bend, IN to the Phoenix area this summer, and I was curious if any Bogleheads could offer a recommendation to me for a real estate professional in the Chandler area who specializes in high end home rentals, as we will looking to rent for awhile while we learn the lay of the land, after which we intend to purchase. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

wingz

Re: Chandler, AZ

Post by wingz » Thu May 18, 2017 9:37 am

I am in the city since about 10 years; dont know high end RE pros however feel free to ask if any other questions.
The one we used was good and we continue to recommend him.

BucketHalfFull

Post by BucketHalfFull » Thu May 18, 2017 9:46 am

Sent PM

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Thu May 18, 2017 9:49 am

You might also try posting your request in the Phoenix section of City-Data:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoenix-area/

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:51 am

Why Chandler?

I'm only curious. I work for a company based there. It's hot. As in temperature....no idea about the real estate market.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu May 18, 2017 10:01 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Why Chandler?

I'm only curious. I work for a company based there. It's hot. As in temperature....no idea about the real estate market.
Yes, it is hot with two seasons: hot and hotter. However, there are approx. 4.5 million residents in the Phoenix metro area. I guess for those 4.5 million people, it is better to deal with heat than frigid weather.

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:14 am

HueyLD wrote:Yes, it is hot with two seasons: hot and hotter. However, there are approx. 4.5 million residents in the Phoenix metro area. I guess for those 4.5 million people, it is better to deal with heat than frigid weather.
No metro area has mastered air conditioning quite like Phoenix. And I'd much rather spend a summer day in Phoenix as opposed to somewhere like Houston, New Orleans, D.C., NYC, etc. I travel quite a bit back east, and I always feel so sorry for the men wearing suits and ties waiting for the subway in NYC. They are drenched in sweat, it's 100+ degrees, and 80%+ humidity. No thanks.
Last edited by AZAttorney11 on Thu May 18, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:16 am

But, you have to follow "hot" with "but the humidity is low". We are fans of the area. We at times have visited in June and July. Love the heat. But then, we live in a cold area most of the year. It is going to be 48 on Saturday with a 20+ mph wind. "Spring" is slow to spring here.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe » Thu May 18, 2017 10:17 am

I have no recommendation for you, but just wanted to say hello. I am from Mishawaka, IN!

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:18 am

bloom2708 wrote:But, you have to follow "hot" with "but the humidity is low". We are fans of the area. We at times have visited in June and July. Love the heat. But then, we live in a cold area most of the year. It is going to be 48 on Saturday with a 20+ mph wind. "Spring" is slow to spring here.
This. There are days where it's 115, but the humidity is 3%. It's hot, but it's far better than being in a place that's 15-20 degrees cooler, but with 25x the humidity.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu May 18, 2017 10:21 am

Retired CPA wrote:We will be relocating from South Bend, IN to the Phoenix area this summer,..
You may want to put off the move until after the summer. Yes, it gets real real hot in the summer there and too much physical activity from moving may be quite a challenge to your body.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:23 am

It isn't too bad here in the summer. Sure, it is very hot, but think of the summer here as winter elsewhere. You limit your time outside, etc. Summer is nice as far as population with all of the snowbirds gone. Grocery stores aren't as busy and traffic is lighter.

Of course, I have also played 18 holes in 113 degree weather. It is nice and cheap in the summer!

Moved to the PHX area 4.5 years ago from Seattle and don't regret it one bit.

We have had a harder time adjusting to scorpions in the house than the heat :)

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu May 18, 2017 1:52 pm

The nice, higher-end place in the Phoenix area is Scottsdale.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:28 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:The nice, higher-end place in the Phoenix area is Scottsdale.
This is a "it depends" type of thing.

The top end is Paradise Valley, even over Scottsdale.

There are some very exclusive and nice neighborhoods in the SE Valley, but they seem to just be pockets. Drive a few miles and you end up in some areas that aren't nearly as nice.

In Scottsdale, the real high end stuff is the cactus corridor and then north of Pinnacle Peak. South and west Scottsdale leaves a lot to be desired.

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:37 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:The nice, higher-end place in the Phoenix area is Scottsdale.
runner3081 wrote:This is a "it depends" type of thing.

The top end is Paradise Valley, even over Scottsdale.

There are some very exclusive and nice neighborhoods in the SE Valley, but they seem to just be pockets. Drive a few miles and you end up in some areas that aren't nearly as nice.

In Scottsdale, the real high end stuff is the cactus corridor and then north of Pinnacle Peak. South and west Scottsdale leaves a lot to be desired.
Yup, PV is the "best." Central Phoenix (Biltmore area, homes near the canal, etc.) are also very, very nice. South Scottsdale and North Scottsdale are two different worlds.

Generally speaking, if you're going to live outside of Phoenix you want to live in the East Valley.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Thu May 18, 2017 3:05 pm

AZAttorney11 wrote:Generally speaking, if you're going to live outside of Phoenix you want to live in the East Valley.
Especially if you're going to be working; you'll be driving west in the morning and east in the evening. The sun will never be in your eyes, and in the clear desert weather, the sun can be a serious problem for drivers. The West Valley is the opposite, and partly because of that is generally (but there are exceptions) less pricey. Many retirement communities, where commuting is not an issue, are in the West Valley.

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:47 pm

littlebird wrote:
AZAttorney11 wrote:Generally speaking, if you're going to live outside of Phoenix you want to live in the East Valley.
Especially if you're going to be working; you'll be driving west in the morning and east in the evening. The sun will never be in your eyes, and in the clear desert weather, the sun can be a serious problem for drivers. The West Valley is the opposite, and partly because of that is generally (but there are exceptions) less pricey. Many retirement communities, where commuting is not an issue, are in the West Valley.
100% agree. And taking I-10 in or out of the West Valley during rush hour is nothing short of hell.

Retired CPA

Post by Retired CPA » Thu May 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Thank you for all of your replies. Here's a bit more background as to why we are zeroing in on the Chandler area. We have a son and daughter-in-law who live in Ahwatukee, and a son-in-law (with daughter and grandson) who has just accepted a position with a company in Mesa. We'd like to live near both families and understand that there are some nice areas in Chandler. We are retired and we will be house hunting along with our daughter for upscale properties in the area, and were hoping to locate a real estate professional specializing in luxury real estate who could show us around and point out the nicer areas, etc.

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:25 pm

I live in Scottsdale would recommend Chandler . When winter visitors are here December to April traffic is getting ugly . Room to grow in Chandler / Gilbert . Lots of stores and good health care developing in the East Valley .

I moved to Phoenix in 1968. Quite a bit different then , but as other posters noted I would take it over any other part of country ! No tornadoes , hurricanes , major earthquakes , limited bugs and humidity . You only get scorpion issues if you buy a new home in recently developed areas and even the. Hit or miss. make sure to cruise the proposed hood at night and ask about HOA and other things .

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Thu May 18, 2017 6:53 pm

Jcraz13 wrote:. You only get scorpion issues if you buy a new home in recently developed areas .
Or if you live, as I do, at the border of open desert. I recently found a small family-owned pest control company that charges a lot, but takes their time and has eliminated my scorpion problem. West Valley business.

wingz

Post by wingz » Thu May 18, 2017 7:37 pm

Retired CPA wrote:Thank you for all of your replies. Here's a bit more background as to why we are zeroing in on the Chandler area. We have a son and daughter-in-law who live in Ahwatukee, and a son-in-law (with daughter and grandson) who has just accepted a position with a company in Mesa. We'd like to live near both families and understand that there are some nice areas in Chandler. We are retired and we will be house hunting along with our daughter for upscale properties in the area, and were hoping to locate a real estate professional specializing in luxury real estate who could show us around and point out the nicer areas, etc.
Fulton Ranch in Chandler would be best for your needs.

luxury + Safety + very nice area.

I am sure you can google, else i can send you cross streets.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 am

Retired CPA wrote:We will be relocating from South Bend, IN to the Phoenix area this summer, and I was curious if any Bogleheads could offer a recommendation to me for a real estate professional in the Chandler area who specializes in high end home rentals, as we will looking to rent for awhile while we learn the lay of the land, after which we intend to purchase. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Not entirely sure about rentals specifically but I would highly recommend Amy Jones. First hit if you Google her name.
AZAttorney11 wrote:No metro area has mastered air conditioning quite like Phoenix. And I'd much rather spend a summer day in Phoenix as opposed to somewhere like Houston, New Orleans, D.C., NYC, etc. I travel quite a bit back east, and I always feel so sorry for the men wearing suits and ties waiting for the subway in NYC. They are drenched in sweat, it's 100+ degrees, and 80%+ humidity. No thanks.
Low humidity is nice but I'd rather spend a summer night in Houston than the Phoenix area. The heat island effect at night over there is terrible IMO. Once you're out of the city, though, it's very nice at night. Of course, my preference may not be relevant to many as I drive a convertible. Mornings and evenings in Houston are still nice for top down driving. It's weird and unpleasant to drive the Phoenix freeways on summer nights feeling massive heat radiating down from the overpasses.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Fri May 19, 2017 3:48 pm

"High end real estate" is always relative.
We spend 6 months in the East Valley, and have no desire to have an "upscale" home. Just a normal place in Mesa.
Chandler/Gilbert has a lot of areas which would be upscale by any normal standards, but the communities themselves are pretty normal.
Scottsdale is a whole other way of life. Real estate there and in PV can go for stratospheric prices. We go there for a nice restaurant occasionally, but we find the place just too pretentious for our needs.
To each their own. It depends what lifestyle you want.
One thing clear about the whole Phoenix area -- it's really spread out. There is no significant urban center like you would find in most other cities of that population. Public transit (i.e. light rail) is fine if it goes to the place you want to go, but it's not anything like an urban system yet.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Fri May 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Just a stupid point west of 10 is Phoenix/Ahwatukee, east of 10 is Chandler, they are the same but not.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri May 19, 2017 6:37 pm

OP/Retired. Have you been out to Arizona or Phoenix for any extended period of time? The reason I ask is many people from the mid west or east coast are very shocked with the "look" of homes and houses and neighborhoods out west. Phoenix in particular shocks many people. The whole Phoenix area has grown dramatically in the last 30 years. So everything is new. Towns like Chandler were small farming areas in 1980. Now they are big suburban towns with homes for miles. There are no "neighborhoods". Just lots of subdivisions where every home is built by the same builder with maybe five floor plans. And all the home lots are small. So the homes are all close together. The homes all have block walls around the individual back yards so no big shared yards like back east. But most subdivisions have parks with trees and grass for kids and dog walking. There are even a few subdivisions with canals like Venice. And others have golf courses. So those homes might back to water or a golf course. No one has a basement at all. And in a given subdivision the homes all look very similar. And out here most of the houses are built with stucco walls and tile roofs in the Santa Barbara style.

And as far as rentals there are lot of homes for rent in Chandler on Zillow. In fact there are lots of homes for rent all over the metro area. The area was hit hard in the 2007 crash so lots of people got foreclosed. Then real estate investors came in an bought up those homes at bargain prices. So now those are being rented. The houses were not bad properties nor damaged nor in bad areas. So IMO there seems to be a lot of great rentals. I am not sure what you envision as high end so I will only say be open on what to expect. Houses out here area just a lot different. Here are two I found that look great on Zillow. I also sent you a PM on a good real estate person I know.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/C ... ect/14_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/C ... ect/14_zm/

Good Luck.

FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish » Sat May 20, 2017 12:40 pm

I have a strong bias, but I'd encourage you to look at south Tempe as well. Tempe puts you between Ahwatukee and Mesa and might be more convenient than Chandler. The exclusive neighborhoods in south Tempe are generally older than Chandler. The houses tend to be slightly more varied in character and the landscaping is more mature. There are exclusive neighborhoods south of Elliot Rd that are far enough away from the university where the college town riff raff won't be an issue. You can also check out the Lakes near Baseline and Rural. I feel the houses in the Lakes are exclusive and fit your location requirement. However the Lakes neighborhood is closer to the university and there are a lot of rentals in the neighborhoods adjacent to the Lakes. The plus side is that you will be closer to more eclectic restaurants and culture.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Sat May 20, 2017 12:49 pm

what business unit are you in? a fab? ssd's? ;)

last time I went out to Chandler, in August, it was nearly 116 degrees and we got caught in a mini haboob storm and my taxi driver freaked out. Fun.

My buddy moved out to Chandler a couple years ago and scored a huge house for like $400k, fully remodeled, pool, etc. Plus there is an amazing Lifetime Fitness complex out there. Great area... if you can handle the heat
"I love competition. And I want to win." R. Murdoch

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:25 pm

As a long time resident , I would also like to point out if you can afford a luxury home you can probably also afford to leave for most or all of the summer :sharebeer . Half of the Phoenix metro area is up north or in San Diego in July and August .

btenny

Post by btenny » Sat May 20, 2017 2:45 pm

For those who live elsewhere half the working guys in Phoenix become widowers for the summer when there wives and kids go to San Diego for the summer.

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:54 pm

Jcraz13 wrote:As a long time resident , I would also like to point out if you can afford a luxury home you can probably also afford to leave for most or all of the summer :sharebeer . Half of the Phoenix metro area is up north or in San Diego in July and August .
As Phoenix and other "nether" regions gain population, I would expect summer tourism to expand in cold climates. If you live in the South, you may dream of vacation in Seattle, San Francisco, Alaska, or even Alberta to escape the heat. Your schedule is upside down, but you probably have more fun that way.

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Sat May 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi Retired CPA,

I relocated from metro New Orleans to the metro Phoenix area 21 years ago. I traded heat, humidity and hurricanes for more heat, much less humidity and no hurricanes. It was a very good deal for me. I tell people who don't live here that we have two seasons: spring and hell. In my opinion, I'll happily take the summer heat over the hazards of cold weather, snow and ice any day. You don't slip/fall on or have to shovel sunshine. We live here year around and I don't find the summers to be any big deal. Everything is air-conditioned and you don't feel the heat unless you are out in it. Better yet, we don't drip from perspiration as we did in more humid climates.

I have no recommendations for finding a Chandler realtor. However I do suggest that when you decide to buy that you look at Scottsdale and areas that surround it. There are some very nice areas in the Mesa/Chandler area. However the crime rate and overall quality of life tend to be more favorable in the NE part of the Valley. Those are just my observations and yours may vary. I also recommend coming out here and renting during the summer months for two reasons. First, the rates are much cheaper. Second, if you plan to live here year-round, you need to experience the weather at its worst. If you like it when it's 110 in July, you're going to love it when it's 65 and sunny in January.

There is no substitute for coming out here, looking around and then deciding what works best for you and yours. If you are looking to escape harsh winters, this is a great place. Good luck.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Sat May 20, 2017 8:33 pm

ladders11 wrote: As Phoenix and other "nether" regions gain population, I would expect summer tourism to expand in cold climates. If you live in the South, you may dream of vacation in Seattle, San Francisco, Alaska, or even Alberta to escape the heat. Your schedule is upside down, but you probably have more fun that way.
The Phoenix metro is already the 12th largest in the U.S. with a fairly brisk commerce in cool summer vacations. But, I have to say, I don't dream of any other city. I'm happy here winter and summer.

p14175

Post by p14175 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:16 pm

If you want grass and big trees, buy a house in an area that has flood irrigation. Chandler, Gilbert, and Mesa are good for that.
If you want a desert landscape go to Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, or Apache Junction.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun May 21, 2017 9:25 pm

p14275. Actually Parts of Scottsdale are totally green. See McCormick and Gainey ranch and the railroad park and the longggg bike path. Same for Phoenix Arcadia area and other places. Oh and the Indian bend wash green belt area with multiple golf courses and parks run from PHX through Scottsdale for 10 miles or so. All green.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:44 pm

btenny wrote:OP/Retired. Have you been out to Arizona or Phoenix for any extended period of time? The reason I ask is many people from the mid west or east coast are very shocked with the "look" of homes and houses and neighborhoods out west. Phoenix in particular shocks many people. The whole Phoenix area has grown dramatically in the last 30 years. So everything is new. Towns like Chandler were small farming areas in 1980. Now they are big suburban towns with homes for miles. There are no "neighborhoods". Just lots of subdivisions where every home is built by the same builder with maybe five floor plans. And all the home lots are small. So the homes are all close together. The homes all have block walls around the individual back yards so no big shared yards like back east. But most subdivisions have parks with trees and grass for kids and dog walking. There are even a few subdivisions with canals like Venice. And others have golf courses. So those homes might back to water or a golf course. No one has a basement at all. And in a given subdivision the homes all look very similar. And out here most of the houses are built with stucco walls and tile roofs in the Santa Barbara style.
This is exactly what I noticed. I was in Chandler for 2 weeks last May and was given one day off. As luck would have it, it was going to be a cool day (70's) so I rented a Harley and cruised the neighborhoods. Having lived in New England or Southwest Virginia all my life, counting my lot size in acres (currently over 13 of them), seeing the houses around Phoenix was interesting. I knew going in that the mid priced houses would be on what I'd call postage stamp sized lots as we stayed with friends in Ahwatuckee for a week back in the late 80's. Riding around, I'd check out the mid priced looking subdivisions and saw exactly that. Then I went to some higher priced subdivisions backed to a golf course and the houses were twice as big on the same postage stamp sized lots. It's all what you're used to. It was interesting to me because building materials were so much different and every square inch was finished with pavement or house or stone or something. Even along the interstate, it was all finished.

It was way too hot for me, though.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Sun May 21, 2017 10:23 pm

Here is a free sweepstakes anyone can enter to win a $1 million+ home in Scottsdale. It's not Chandler, but it's free:

http://www.hgtv.com/design/hgtv-smart-home