Paris private tours

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gasman

Paris private tours

Postby gasman » Wed May 17, 2017 9:32 pm

Going to Paris first time in one month. Staying in the Marais for one week.
Would like to arrange private tour of The Louvre maybe a private car tour as well. Have done in other international cities and found it a worthwhile expense. Does anyone have any recommended tour services or specific suggestions where a private guide would be worthwhile?

celia

Re: Paris private tours

Postby celia » Wed May 17, 2017 9:37 pm

Does the Louvre have pre-recorded tours where you walk around with headphones? Would that be acceptable to you?

gasman

Postby gasman » Wed May 17, 2017 9:49 pm

Looking to save time, avoid lines, not waste time wandering. Don't think recorded tour would be optimal

adamthesmythe

Postby adamthesmythe » Wed May 17, 2017 9:51 pm

Can't help you, your goals are diametrically opposed to mine when visiting museums.

celia

Postby celia » Wed May 17, 2017 9:55 pm

gasman wrote:Looking to save time, avoid lines, not waste time wandering. Don't think recorded tour would be optimal

Some of my best experiences when traveling were when we were lost and then saw things and talked to people we normally wouldn't have. I believe in "off the beaten path"!
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

aude

Postby aude » Wed May 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Check out the Paris Muse folks. We have no affiliation but they have been excellent on tours of the Louvre. I don't quite know quite how to put this, but they helped us see it in a new light and avoid hordes of large group tours taking selfies, etc.

alaskantraveler

Postby alaskantraveler » Thu May 18, 2017 11:44 am

Just heard about this app recently. Try Withlocals App. It works in Europe and Asia. Basically it's like the Airbnb for tours. Find a local to give you a private tour. I haven't used it myself, but like the idea.

chickadee

Postby chickadee » Thu May 18, 2017 12:46 pm

We took a tour by 2CV (old French-made car kinda like a VW bug) and it was the highlight of our trip. You get a real feel for the neighborhoods of Paris, and the car can get down small alleyways, etc., that other cars can't. We had the champagne option as well, so that capped off the experience. Want to say it was 3 hours, with stops for photos. Money well spent, but the guides were more "drivers." If you want a really good history lesson, a licensed guide might be a better choice.

http://2cvparistour.com/

Oh, and I'm with you now on guides. Spent about 15 years "going it alone" on European trips with my guidebooks, audio guides, etc. Now, we've discovered the joys of spending one day in each place with a the private guide. Worth every penny to maximize our time.

Luckywon

Postby Luckywon » Thu May 18, 2017 11:45 pm

I recommend Paris Muse highly. We used them for the Louvre and also the Musee d'Orsay. Our guides both had Ph.D.s in art history (I think most guides for this company do) and touring the museums with them was like no other museum experience I ever had. Not cheap (I think around $350 for each tour), but worth every penny. The guides were able to bypass the lines to get into the museums.

celia

Postby celia » Sun May 21, 2017 2:53 am

chickadee wrote:We took a tour by 2CV (old French-made car kinda like a VW bug) and it was the highlight of our trip. You get a real feel for the neighborhoods of Paris, and the car can get down small alleyways, etc., that other cars can't. We had the champagne option as well, so that capped off the experience. Want to say it was 3 hours, with stops for photos. Money well spent, but the guides were more "drivers." If you want a really good history lesson, a licensed guide might be a better choice.

http://2cvparistour.com/

Oh, and I'm with you now on guides. Spent about 15 years "going it alone" on European trips with my guidebooks, audio guides, etc. Now, we've discovered the joys of spending one day in each place with a the private guide. Worth every penny to maximize our time.

Wow. A tour that only takes 1 to 3 hours! It sounds more like you are minimizing how much time you will spend in each place.

chickadee

Postby chickadee » Sun May 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Well, I was in Paris for 5 days....so not minimizing my time in a place, no. Guess I should have said "spending one day out of our _several_ day itinerary with a good guide."

ChrisC

Postby ChrisC » Sun May 21, 2017 3:14 pm

Not sure I'd do a private tour of Paris museums as it's fairly easy to wander around and enjoy the Louvre, Orsay or other museums one can visit on a multi-day pass. We have used a private tour guide for Istanbul for museums, mosques, and other tourist places mainly because we were concerned about security issues there.
I would recommend doing a walking food tour. We used the tour guides at Paris by Mouth. This was an excellent tour guide service for us -- we did a wine, cheese and chocolate food tour of the St. German area. We did a similar food tour in Vienna and we're pleased with the guide but not the food in Vienna.

chickadee

Postby chickadee » Sun May 21, 2017 4:18 pm

I'll second the food tour idea as well. Paris by Mouth does a Marais food tour, and we tried to go on this, but it was sold out. We took another one, which was fun, but the Paris by Mouth tours are very highly rated.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”