should I tip repairman for TV?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
schutzk21

should I tip repairman for TV?

Post by schutzk21 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:12 pm

I have a person with Squaretrade at my house right now fixing my TV. I have the warranty with squaretrade and I am wondering if it is proper to tip the repairman fixing it for coming out. If so, how much is sufficient?

bottlecap

Re: should I tip repairman for TV?

Post by bottlecap » Wed May 17, 2017 7:17 pm

I've never heard of that.

Levett

Post by Levett » Wed May 17, 2017 7:19 pm

It's his job.

How did Americans become so dependent on tips?

It's absurd.

Lev

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed May 17, 2017 7:27 pm

No, offer him a glass of water or a soft drink and if he fixes it, say "thank you" genuinely.

AAA

Post by AAA » Wed May 17, 2017 7:31 pm

The consensus after many such threads here is that it's a personal decision.

We don't tip the appliance repairman that we use because it's his business i.e. he's the owner. When we get something delivered from other businesses, we usually tip. When our internet wiring was installed in our house, we tipped as the guy met our requests for jack location.

Most of the people on this forum I would guess won't be adversely affected by giving a tip. It could mean a lot more to the recipient.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed May 17, 2017 7:53 pm

AAA wrote:Most of the people on this forum I would guess won't be adversely affected by giving a tip. It could mean a lot more to the recipient.
Tomorrow I am going to walk around my office with a wad of cash and tip all of my employees, because I make more than them so the money means more to them than it does to me...The tipping culture is out of control in this country.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Wed May 17, 2017 9:48 pm

AAA wrote: Most of the people on this forum I would guess won't be adversely affected by giving a tip. It could mean a lot more to the recipient.
I agree with this. While I don't do as well as most people on this forum I do better than most people in this country. I don't know when we became so selfish and condescending but I'm ok with cutting people a break when I can.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed May 17, 2017 9:55 pm

MrNewEngland wrote:
AAA wrote: Most of the people on this forum I would guess won't be adversely affected by giving a tip. It could mean a lot more to the recipient.
I agree with this. While I don't do as well as most people on this forum I do better than most people in this country. I don't know when we became so selfish and condescending but I'm ok with cutting people a break when I can.
I tip generously when tipping is appropriate, but don't tip at all when tipping is not appropriate. When did that become selfish and condescending?

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Wed May 17, 2017 10:04 pm

Pajamas wrote:
MrNewEngland wrote:
I tip generously when tipping is appropriate, but don't tip at all when tipping is not appropriate. When did that become selfish and condescending?
I guess we have different ideas of when tipping is appropriate.

Jim180

Post by Jim180 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:57 pm

I guess I don't understand tipping someone who already earns a decent salary for doing their job. Waiters and newspaper carriers are fine but a TV repairman had to have specialized training so they are not exactly working for slave wages. If Squaretrade learns their techs are frequently getting tips they may feel they can charge more for service warranties if customers are so eager to pay additional money.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:38 am

Here's an example. This is not exactly tv repair but the guy who comes to install the satellite dish gets a fixed payment per job no matter how long it takes. They are independent contractors so no benefits. Is it that big a deal to give the guy some grocery money to feed his family that night? I agree that tipping as it's done in this country is not a good system but withholding a tip in fringe cases is not the way to make a statement.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:48 am

I hate tipping. You never know when it's appropriate outside of extremely obvious situations (waiter, maid service at hotel, certain deliveries) and I always feel like the rate keeps going up.

There is no logical argument for tipping people other than "well they need the money because their job pays garbage". Other than servers who get below minimum wage, I don't see how this makes any sense.

Do you tip an employee at a clothing store for helping find your size? No
Do you tip the person at Walmart who answered your question "which aisle do I find X thing?" No
Do you tip the person who rings up your items at the grocery store? No

All of these people probably make near to or exactly minimum wage.

What drives me most insane is how the tip % at restaurants has gone from 15% to 18% to 20% and then its 20% on top of the bill with tax included. "These people don't get raises!" you say. Well if the menu prices have increased over the years, and the tip is a percentage of what you order, how have the servers not received an increase in tips?

I just don't get it--it makes me feel either like jerk or a sucker. I never feel "right" after leaving a tip or not leaving a tip when I'm unsure.

In fact, the only time I'm happy to tip is when I get furniture or something extremely heavy delivered. I used to do that when I was in high school and college and it is back breaking work. I always feel for those guys.

BlueFin

Post by BlueFin » Thu May 18, 2017 7:17 am

Why would anyone tip a TV repairman?

dowse

Post by dowse » Thu May 18, 2017 7:50 am

No. This goes way beyond the norm for tipping.

On a similar note, a few years ago, I was chided by a relative for not tipping a furniture delivery crew. I had thought it was a situation where tipping was inappropriate. A year or so later, we were having a mattress and box spring replaced. Normally, the delivery crew would remove and discard the old set, but in this case, the outer covering on the old one had become wet. This was due to the fact that it was in a basement where we had place a container of dehumidifying crystals underneath the bed, and the cover was loose enough to have dipped into the liquified crystals. We were told that they were not allowed to remove any beddiing that was wet, regardless of how it got that way. We tipped each of the two crew guys $20 anyway. Just as they were about to leave, one of them came back and said "You know, I think we have have come up with a way of dealing with that wet mattress cover". They hauled it away. We now tip furniture delivery crews for good work.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu May 18, 2017 8:04 am

Many of you have been doing better than I have the last few years.

Gifting $500 wouldn't adversely affect very many on this board.

PM me and I will send you routing instructions. It will mean more to me than you.

JT
Last edited by bottlecap on Thu May 18, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu May 18, 2017 9:30 am

bottlecap wrote:Many of you have been doing better than I have the last few years.

Gifting $500 would adversely affect very many on this board.

PM me and I will send you routing instructions. It will mean more to me than you.

JT
+1. I have been told (snarkily) several times on this board that I am very underpaid for my level of education, experience, job title and responsibilities. I'll be happy to post my paypal information, since so many are willing to tell me how underpaid I am.

squirm

Post by squirm » Thu May 18, 2017 10:27 am

MrNewEngland wrote:
Me too.... Maybe some people are more self absorbed than I realize... It's like the guy with ten million at the fast food counter counting his change.

squirm

Post by squirm » Thu May 18, 2017 10:54 am

I tip and/or pay well for jobs because my money comes from appreciation, dividends, interest, job, blah blah blah, not from back breaking labor. I appreciate not being a slave to that type of work and appreciate those that have to endure it for the little pay.

Most people in my circle have money from luck, such as buying in a rising market, not from possessing a unique ability.

AAA

Post by AAA » Thu May 18, 2017 11:01 am

stoptothink wrote:
AAA wrote:Most of the people on this forum I would guess won't be adversely affected by giving a tip. It could mean a lot more to the recipient.
Tomorrow I am going to walk around my office with a wad of cash and tip all of my employees, because I make more than them so the money means more to them than it does to me...The tipping culture is out of control in this country.
I was not saying to tip all the time. I just meant that in those situations where one is not decided on whether or not a tip is appropriate, and giving a tip might benefit the recipient more than it hurts you, one could err on the side of tipping.

And maybe you should pay your employees more. :wink:

goingup

Post by goingup » Thu May 18, 2017 11:05 am

I can't imagine tipping the TV repairman, plumber, electrician, and any other contractor hired to do repairs at my home.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu May 18, 2017 11:09 am

AAA wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
I was not saying to tip all the time. I just meant that in those situations where one is not decided on whether or not a tip is appropriate, and giving a tip might benefit the recipient more than it hurts you, one could err on the side of tipping.

And maybe you should pay your employees more. :wink:
Since I have zero control over what my employees make, other than providing suggestions to my own boss (CMO and one of the company's founders) about annual raises and bonuses, I'll keep this in mind.

I worked in a lot of very low-paying, and often very physical jobs, from age 15 until I finished my education. I never once received a penny in tips for loading hundreds of pounds of concrete into someone's truck (Home Depot) or cleaning out someone's spit bucket (general staff at wine shows), despite making around the minimum wage. I accepted the job and was thankful for it. These tipping norms are really new and the logic used to rationalize it is just odd.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu May 18, 2017 11:46 am

Jags4186 wrote:I hate tipping. You never know when it's appropriate outside of extremely obvious situations (waiter, maid service at hotel, certain deliveries) and I always feel like the rate keeps going up.

There is no logical argument for tipping people other than "well they need the money because their job pays garbage". Other than servers who get below minimum wage, I don't see how this makes any sense.

Do you tip an employee at a clothing store for helping find your size? No
Do you tip the person at Walmart who answered your question "which aisle do I find X thing?" No
Do you tip the person who rings up your items at the grocery store? No

All of these people probably make near to or exactly minimum wage.
+1. You make a very good point. The standards most people apply do seem to be completely arbitrary.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu May 18, 2017 12:18 pm

stoptothink wrote:
I agree. I only "tip" a delivery/repairs/service person that does something above and beyond their duty.

Examples:

1. Buying lunch/dinner and soft drinks for the movers.
2. TV delivery crew waits around 5 min while I bolt the bracket to the back of the TV so they can help me lift it up on the wall.
3. Paid for threshold delivery and guy helps me carry the item to it's intended location.

Examples where I don't tip.

1. TV delivery crew delivers my TV
2. Delivery guy that drops the item at the threshold.
3. Pool guy that opens/closes/repairs my pool.
4. Mechanic that fixes my car

I tip drivers, barbers and servers.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Thu May 18, 2017 1:20 pm

No - tipping is only for waiters/waitresses. Everyone else gets paid at least minimum wage.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu May 18, 2017 1:37 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
I agree. I only "tip" a delivery/repairs/service person that does something above and beyond their duty.

Examples:

1. Buying lunch/dinner and soft drinks for the movers.
2. TV delivery crew waits around 5 min while I bolt the bracket to the back of the TV so they can help me lift it up on the wall.
3. Paid for threshold delivery and guy helps me carry the item to it's intended location.

Examples where I don't tip.

1. TV delivery crew delivers my TV
2. Delivery guy that drops the item at the threshold.
3. Pool guy that opens/closes/repairs my pool.
4. Mechanic that fixes my car

I tip drivers, barbers and servers.
Very, very close to what I do.

I also tip relatives or friends of the family who are plumbers, heating/AC guys, etc who perform those services but obviously give us "family rates" or show up without complaint on weekends or holidays. Or at least I try to--frequently "excessive payment" is refused. The general attitude of the people is one of the joys of the area where we live.

myleaf

Post by myleaf » Thu May 18, 2017 4:19 pm

I usually tip for services provided, even when a tip is not expected. Why not ? Feels good to do so.
"Never met an electron I did not like"

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Thu May 18, 2017 4:36 pm

My plumber is self employed and charges $125 per hour (as do the rest of them in this are self employed or working for a company). No tip is necessary.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Thu May 18, 2017 4:42 pm

bottlecap wrote:I've never heard of that.
Neither have I.