Insect repellent

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
brak

Insect repellent

Postby brak » Wed May 17, 2017 12:52 am

My daughter ua going to Hunan Province in China this summer to volunteer at an orphanage - 95 degree weather bad mosquitos, no air conditioning. I am looking for recommendations for the best insect repellent as I got conflicting information. Thanks.

dumbmoney

Re: Insect repellent

Postby dumbmoney » Wed May 17, 2017 4:21 am

I am pleased to report that the invisible forces of destruction have been unmasked, marking a turning point chapter when the fraudulent and speculative winds are cast into the inferno of extinction.

Woodshark

Postby Woodshark » Fri May 19, 2017 7:24 am

Sawyer Picaridin is my vote. Top rated, no smell, lasts eight hours, and doesn't melt plastic like DEET.

We just came back from ten days in Belize and I used it daily. Worked great. You can buy smaller TSA approved bottles of it at Amazon for carry-on luggage.

mak1277

Postby mak1277 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:30 am

For me, it's DEET...when I am hiking/camping/fishing I use the highest concentration I can find.

takeshi

Postby takeshi » Fri May 19, 2017 7:46 am

brak wrote:I am looking for recommendations for the best insect repellent as I got conflicting information.

What sources have you been using and why do you think a thread on a discussion forum isn't going to also provide conflicting information? How do you specifically define best and what are your priorities? Are you only concerned with effectiveness? Are you concerned about chemicals such as DEET and prefer natural solutions? Always clarify exactly what you mean whenever you use the word "best" on any topic as it is very subjective -- i.e. probably why you're seeing conflicting information as everyone does not have identical preferences and priorities.

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Fri May 19, 2017 7:57 am

There is now a time-release DEET. That's what I'm going to get the next time I need to get some DEET.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

brak

Postby brak » Fri May 19, 2017 8:36 am

By best I mean most effective in repelling mosquitos, tics etc for the longest period of time without posing a significant health hazard to the user. Thanks.

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Fri May 19, 2017 8:50 am

Then that's time-release DEET.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

InMyDreams

Postby InMyDreams » Fri May 19, 2017 9:47 am

A small, battery operated fan may be useful, too. Or one that can plug in (voltages in China? not sure).

And visit your local travel clinic, if that's not already in the works. My travel clinic actually sold me my insect repellent before my last trip.

Mudpuppy

Postby Mudpuppy » Fri May 19, 2017 8:53 pm

I have pretty sensitive skin, but I haven't had issues with a sensitive skin DEET formulation when I've used it before hiking into flea or tick infested areas. Your daughter might also want to consider something like netting or repellent devices for her sleeping area, as chemicals will wear off over time, so sleeping could be a prime period for getting bitten as the chemicals wear off.

finite_difference

Postby finite_difference » Fri May 19, 2017 9:06 pm

Make sure she gets all the shots including HepA/HepB.

That's a really awesome thing for her to do that I'm sure will also look good on a college resume and be good for her Chinese as well.

I would bring Deet and Picardin and see what works best. IR-3535 is another good one. You can use Picardin and IR-3535 on kids less than 3 years old but not Deet.

Supposedly formulations with either 20% Picardin or 25% Deet work best for mosquitoes.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

random_walker_77

Postby random_walker_77 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:13 pm

For a business trip to India, the travel clinic recommended 3M Ultrathon. The clerk at REI said the stuff was developed for the US military.

Finding myself trapped in a dim sedan every night with several mosquitoes buzzing around (possibly carrying chikungunya/malaria), I was glad to find that it really worked:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Ultrathon-Ins ... ads.org-20

brak

Postby brak » Sat May 20, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks for all the useful feedback. For those of you who wanted to know, my daughter is a Chinese adoptee (abandoned on a street corner) who came into our lives when she was 6 months old. She has decided to go back to China to work in an orphanage to reconnect with her roots - both her Chinese roots and her Chinese orphanage roots. She is now all up to date on her shots, just got her Visa, and is starting to train herself to tolerate spicy food as that is the cooking style of Hunan province. Interestingly, the demographics of the Chinese orphanage population in China have changed dramatically. Eighteen years ago, the vast majority of the kids in orphanages were Chinese girls due to the one-child policy. As a result of the easing of the one child policy and the profound urbanization in China and the increase in Chinese domestic adoptions, the valued child is now the daughter who will take care of the parents when the get old (as opposed to the rural value on sons who would work the field) so the vast majority of orphanages are now filled with boys with medical problems (as the expense of the Chinese healthcare system is beyond the reach of many). Just in case you were interested, and again thanks for the help.

InMyDreams

Postby InMyDreams » Sat May 20, 2017 9:50 am

finite_difference wrote:Make sure she gets all the shots including HepA/HepB.

And typhoid (capsules!) and...

Really a good travel clinic may provide amazing information. A co-workers young niece/nephew have returned early from their China volunteer project d/t gastrointestinal issues that have lasted a couple of months (they've lost 20#).

A good travel clinic will advise about protecting against mosquito-borne illness as well as food/water illnesses, and local physical hazards (for instance, I received information about the type of taxis to take in Quito).

And a fan will help blow away those mosquitoes, reducing risk and allowing a better night's sleep

brak

Postby brak » Sat May 20, 2017 10:15 am

Thanks - my daughter has been to the travel clinic, is inoculated again HepA, HepB, typhoid, and meningitis and is up to date on all other standard immunizations. Has been prescribed azithromycin to take along for severe diarrhea as well.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”