Sony a6500

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
WestCoastMountains

Sony a6500

Post by WestCoastMountains » Tue May 16, 2017 11:03 pm

After overanalyzing too many cameras for the past week I finally pulled the trigger on a Sony a6500 8-)

Picked up a 16-35mm F4 Zeiss lens, UV lens protector and a fast SD card for 4k video. Got a great deal at a Mom & Pop camera shop near by, any other Bogleheads living in the mirrorless camera world?

Comfortable with taking photography but a beginner at all the technical knowledge. Plan on doing street photography when traveling and camping life with my dog. I've been watching plenty of youtube videos and reading what I can online, any sources you guys enjoy?

rolandtorres

Re: Sony a6500

Post by rolandtorres » Tue May 16, 2017 11:35 pm

Good choice. practice practice practice

Try http://photography-mapped.com

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Wed May 17, 2017 1:43 am

WestCoastMountains wrote:...any sources you guys enjoy?

Shoot in RAW. Learn your way around Lightroom. Honestly. You can't turn a bad shot into a good one, but you can turn a good one into a near-great one. Learn the basics of composition (it's, like, ten facts, then experience). Crop, play around with the aspect ratio, change the curves (or just darks and lights), contrast, saturation, etc. Adjust the noise-reduction manually -- it will soften skin tones, etc. This sounds like a lot but you can get the feel of this with five decent photos and just moving "sliders" for an hour. It's pretty much all right in front of you. You'll be amazed what you can do.

marstaton4

Post by marstaton4 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:01 am

I've got a a6300 and don't use it as much as I should. It's a very capable camera. I haven't given it as much of a chance as I should, but I really miss how comfortable and familiar my 5D mark iii felt in my hands. Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You can find some batteries and an external charger by Wasabi on some of the usual sites that will probably make your overall experience better and not have to worry about running out of batteries or charging in camera or continuing to use the cameras usb port.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:54 am

WestCoastMountains wrote:any sources you guys enjoy?

Ming Thein and Thom Hogan each have several great articles worth reading.

Also, this is a good book if you want to improve your photography:

https://www.amazon.com/Pictorial-Composition-Art-Dover-Instruction/dp/0486233588/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495028815&sr=8-1&keywords=pictorial+composition

WestCoastMountains

Post by WestCoastMountains » Wed May 17, 2017 12:01 pm

rolandtorres wrote:Good choice. practice practice practice

Try http://photography-mapped.com

This is a very cool tool, thanks for the heads up!

WestCoastMountains

Post by WestCoastMountains » Wed May 17, 2017 12:08 pm

daveydoo wrote:
WestCoastMountains wrote:...any sources you guys enjoy?

Shoot in RAW. Learn your way around Lightroom. Honestly. You can't turn a bad shot into a good one, but you can turn a good one into a near-great one. Learn the basics of composition (it's, like, ten facts, then experience). Crop, play around with the aspect ratio, change the curves (or just darks and lights), contrast, saturation, etc. Adjust the noise-reduction manually -- it will soften skin tones, etc. This sounds like a lot but you can get the feel of this with five decent photos and just moving "sliders" for an hour. It's pretty much all right in front of you. You'll be amazed what you can do.

Yesterday was my first time taking a RAW shot and immediately knew I made a good decision. I only have some experience editing JPEGs on the computer and iPhone app Enlight. Seems like Photoshop, Lightroom and Affinity are popular choices I'll look into more. Playing with those sliders is always a good time and I think I've got my go to settings I like for social media or sharing with family.

WestCoastMountains

Post by WestCoastMountains » Wed May 17, 2017 12:12 pm

marstaton4 wrote:I've got a a6300 and don't use it as much as I should. It's a very capable camera. I haven't given it as much of a chance as I should, but I really miss how comfortable and familiar my 5D mark iii felt in my hands. Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You can find some batteries and an external charger by Wasabi on some of the usual sites that will probably make your overall experience better and not have to worry about running out of batteries or charging in camera or continuing to use the cameras usb port.

I saw that Wasabi charger on Amazon, seems like a good pickup. I was on the fence with doing a bigger full frame camera but I'm always trying to lower carrying weight and efficiency when traveling/camping. Looks like they put a slightly larger grip on the a6500 and so far it has been comfy.

WestCoastMountains

Post by WestCoastMountains » Wed May 17, 2017 12:20 pm

climber2020 wrote:
WestCoastMountains wrote:any sources you guys enjoy?

Ming Thein and Thom Hogan each have several great articles worth reading.

Also, this is a good book if you want to improve your photography:

https://www.amazon.com/Pictorial-Composition-Art-Dover-Instruction/dp/0486233588/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495028815&sr=8-1&keywords=pictorial+composition

Sweet, looks like a classic, thank you!

dougger5

Post by dougger5 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Welcome to mirrorless! I've had Sony NEX6 for four years now, and it's been great. My main attraction was the ease of adapting it to my old Minolta MF lenses.

RE: the UV filter - I wouldn't put anything like that between Zeiss glass and the world, but that's me :D

A few resources:
http://sonyalphalab.com
^the site that introduced me to mirrorless and what all can be done with it
http://theartofphotography.tv
^good general resource
http://www.friedmanarchives.com
^he's published some handy e-books, including one about the a6500. I bought the one he did for the NEX6, and found it quite helpful
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai

WestCoastMountains

Post by WestCoastMountains » Wed May 17, 2017 5:44 pm

dougger5 wrote:RE: the UV filter - I wouldn't put anything like that between Zeiss glass and the world, but that's me :D

That's what my gut was telling me when I was heading to the register but then the thought of adding a layer of protection to the lens made sense at the moment. I will experiment on the differences of pictures. Thanks for the sources! :sharebeer

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Wed May 17, 2017 7:38 pm

WestCoastMountains wrote:...but then the thought of adding a layer of protection to the lens made sense at the moment.

Always! Good move! "Cleaning" lenses ain't pretty -- you're always dragging debris around the surface no matter how careful you are. Cleaning a flat filter is easy and low-stakes, imo.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Wed May 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Check this out
https://youtu.be/YcZkCnPs45s?t=594
You will change your opinion about lens filters

Atgard

Post by Atgard » Wed May 17, 2017 8:02 pm

If you like learning through videos, Mike Brown is excellent and easy to follow from beginner up to more advanced techniques:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs4S07 ... pVuzBJ0e8Q

Learning the basics of how cameras work (apertures, shutter speed, and ISO) and getting out of manual mode (even into Aperture priority mode or something) will make a world of difference in your photos. As will shooting RAW, although the processing does take more time. But it's worth it when you see the results side-by-side.

You have a very capable camera, don't go crazy worrying about more expensive gear -- the biggest bang for the buck by FAR is learning and practicing (which are both free). If you get really really into it, then in a year you can get a little nutty buying lenses and such (assuming there's room in your budget!).

Good luck, and enjoy it... it's a great hobby.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed May 17, 2017 8:32 pm

WestCoastMountains wrote: ....any sources you guys enjoy?

One obvious source for information is the camera's manual. :D

Your eyes would glaze over if you sat down and tried to read it from end to end but one "trick" is to download the PDF of the manual and keep in on your laptop, tablet, or phone so that you will have it with your when you are away from home.

One thing that I have not mentioned is getting a basic tripod since even if you don't use it for street photography it will be good to have while you are leaning more about photography so you can play with some long exposures and small apertures. You don't need to spend a lot since a $20 one will work just fine.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed May 17, 2017 9:16 pm

WestCoastMountains wrote:That's what my gut was telling me when I was heading to the register but then the thought of adding a layer of protection to the lens made sense at the moment. I will experiment on the differences of pictures. Thanks for the sources! :sharebeer

I bought a $1500 lens for my Olympus mirrorless camera recently. The first thing I did after taking it out of the box was installing a clear filter.

I understand that there are many in the no filter camp. I know I would feel terrible if I scratched that puppy :)

OP, I took a quick look at your new camera's specs. Looks awesome. I have been very happy with my Olympus that I bought after reading a discussion of DSLRs vs mirrorless cameras here on BH about two years ago. I had been on the verge of replacing my Nikon D60 with a larger and better D7200 at the time.

tractorguy

Post by tractorguy » Wed May 17, 2017 11:15 pm

I've been religious about putting a clear filter on all my lenses ever since I took a chip out of the front element of my Nikon when I was climbing a temple in Cambodia. It's cheap insurance.
Lorne

WestCoastMountains

Post by WestCoastMountains » Thu May 18, 2017 9:39 pm

wrongfunds wrote:Check this out
https://youtu.be/YcZkCnPs45s?t=594
You will change your opinion about lens filters

Hilarious video, I spent a pretty penny so I'll keep the lens filter for now haha

WestCoastMountains

Post by WestCoastMountains » Thu May 18, 2017 9:42 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
WestCoastMountains wrote:That's what my gut was telling me when I was heading to the register but then the thought of adding a layer of protection to the lens made sense at the moment. I will experiment on the differences of pictures. Thanks for the sources! :sharebeer

I bought a $1500 lens for my Olympus mirrorless camera recently. The first thing I did after taking it out of the box was installing a clear filter.

I understand that there are many in the no filter camp. I know I would feel terrible if I scratched that puppy :)

OP, I took a quick look at your new camera's specs. Looks awesome. I have been very happy with my Olympus that I bought after reading a discussion of DSLRs vs mirrorless cameras here on BH about two years ago. I had been on the verge of replacing my Nikon D60 with a larger and better D7200 at the time.

As a beginner I probably could of went with a beginner lens but I just had one of those "why not" moments, I'm sure I'll appreciate the decision later. I haven't noticed a difference in the pictures yet with lens on or off yet. Gonna take the dog up the mountain this weekend, he will be my first model.

WestCoastMountains

Post by WestCoastMountains » Thu May 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Atgard wrote:If you like learning through videos, Mike Brown is excellent and easy to follow from beginner up to more advanced techniques:

Learning the basics of how cameras work (apertures, shutter speed, and ISO) and getting out of manual mode (even into Aperture priority mode or something) will make a world of difference in your photos. As will shooting RAW, although the processing does take more time. But it's worth it when you see the results side-by-side.

You have a very capable camera, don't go crazy worrying about more expensive gear -- the biggest bang for the buck by FAR is learning and practicing (which are both free). If you get really really into it, then in a year you can get a little nutty buying lenses and such (assuming there's room in your budget!).

Thanks for the link! Absolutely agree with the learning and practice. As ridiculous as it sounds I think I take great photos with my iPhone 7 Plus and basic edits. Can't wait to see what I can do with a professional tool!

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Thu May 18, 2017 9:53 pm

Would love to hear about your experience.
I will be upgrading to the 7s+ or 8+, and also have a full frame Nikon with fast lenses (70-200 2.8 and some 1.4 primes).
BUT I have yet to find the portable solution for indoor gatherings/events that will take great photos but still fit in a jacket pocket. I tried Sony RX100V, and it didn't work; considering Sony and Fuji mirrorless in the $1-2k range.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Fri May 19, 2017 8:45 am

I haven't noticed a difference in the pictures yet with lens on or off yet.

Ha! Ha!!

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:57 am

arsenalfan wrote:Would love to hear about your experience.
I will be upgrading to the 7s+ or 8+, and also have a full frame Nikon with fast lenses (70-200 2.8 and some 1.4 primes).
BUT I have yet to find the portable solution for indoor gatherings/events that will take great photos but still fit in a jacket pocket. I tried Sony RX100V, and it didn't work; considering Sony and Fuji mirrorless in the $1-2k range.

Try a Ricoh GR 2. Fantastic camera for under $600, and it's even thinner and lighter than the RX100.

Atgard

Post by Atgard » Fri May 19, 2017 10:30 am

WestCoastMountains wrote:
Atgard wrote:If you like learning through videos, Mike Brown is excellent and easy to follow from beginner up to more advanced techniques:

Thanks for the link! Absolutely agree with the learning and practice. As ridiculous as it sounds I think I take great photos with my iPhone 7 Plus and basic edits. Can't wait to see what I can do with a professional tool!

If you have a knack for composition, subjects, etc. and can take good photos even with an iPhone, then learning and using the capabilities of a good DSLR or mirrorless camera will improve your photos exponentially, and allow you to get shots you just can't get with an iPhone. It really takes both the artistic + technical sides to mesh together.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri May 19, 2017 11:45 am

WestCoastMountains wrote:As a beginner I probably could of went with a beginner lens but I just had one of those "why not" moments, I'm sure I'll appreciate the decision later. I haven't noticed a difference in the pictures yet with lens on or off yet. Gonna take the dog up the mountain this weekend, he will be my first model.

I bought a few "cheap" lenses initially. They generally work well under good lighting conditions and they don't weigh much. So there are some benefits. Ultimately I don't believe that I will produce great photos unless I first learn more about photography. So that is what I am focusing on now, in my copious spare time.