Window tint (film) on house windows?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tamales

Window tint (film) on house windows?

Postby Tamales » Tue May 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Has anyone had window film applied to your house windows for the main purpose of reducing AC bills in the summer?
If so, did it meet your expectations (assuming for the sake of argument, a film with ~50% solar energy rejection)?

Also wondering if anyone has seen any studies on whether sun screens (window screens that are a tighter weave than regular window screens) produce about the same benefit, or maybe if the combination is additive?

jainn

Re: Window tint (film) on house windows?

Postby jainn » Tue May 16, 2017 9:57 pm

Yes - go with Huper Optik C70. - use store locator to find nearby dealer...we put it on our westward windows, so afternoon sun in the study and dining room feels much cooler now, just as bright as ever with the tint.

https://www.huperoptikusa.com/wp-conten ... ramics.pdf

Allows 71% of light through so you don't even realize you have tinted windows, from inside or outside.

https://www.huperoptikusa.com/residential/

88% Infared Rjection
99% UV Rejection
48% Total Solar Energy Rejection

1st Patented Nano-Ceramic Window Film
3x more Infrared rejection
4x less reflective
13 °C Cooler
25x more durable than competing films

Specifically regarding utility bills, our home is 4 years old, and highly insulated, dual pane, typical new builder energy star ratings, etc... so no difference in utility bills that we could tell, only did one side of the house...thermostats are no where near these windows, but it is far more comfortable now in the afternoon in the study...

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Tue May 16, 2017 10:47 pm

jainn wrote:Yes - go with Huper Optik C70. - use store locator to find nearby dealer...we put it on our westward windows, so afternoon sun in the study and dining room feels much cooler now, just as bright as ever with the tint.

https://www.huperoptikusa.com/wp-conten ... ramics.pdf

Allows 71% of light through so you don't even realize you have tinted windows, from inside or outside.

https://www.huperoptikusa.com/residential/

88% Infared Rjection
99% UV Rejection
48% Total Solar Energy Rejection

1st Patented Nano-Ceramic Window Film
3x more Infrared rejection
4x less reflective
13 °C Cooler
25x more durable than competing films

Specifically regarding utility bills, our home is 4 years old, and highly insulated, dual pane, typical new builder energy star ratings, etc... so no difference in utility bills that we could tell, only did one side of the house...thermostats are no where near these windows, but it is far more comfortable now in the afternoon in the study...

My condo contracted with a Portland (Oregon) firm to apply window tint:

WINDOW FILM

EFFECTIVE 6-9-2016

Unit owners may apply window film to any window or patio door providing:

1) They apply for permission via the Association ARC application.

2) It is professionally installed. While they are free to use any professional vendor that they wish the preferred vendor is: Pacific Window Tinting.

3) It is applied to the interior of the windows or door and the owner understands that all liability for any damage to the windows, both interior and exterior, that occurs is fully the responsibility of the unit owner.

4) The approved tints are Hilite 55 or 70, Sterling 70 and Panorama CX-60. Any deviation will need approval of the Board. Sample tint cards can be checked out from the on-site manager.

Reference the last paragraph, do any of the window tints correlate to yours?

Thanks.
Gordon

jainn

Postby jainn » Wed May 17, 2017 7:47 am

yes, the number advertised on window tint is the amount of light that continues to shine through the window after applying. Your condo management is comfortable with 55-70% of light coming through, anything causing the windows to be darker would cause them to notice and be unhappy.

http://www.solargard.com/product/cx/
Panorama CX-60:
Visible Light:61%
Reflectivity: 11%
UV Blocked: >99%
Solar Heat Rejected: 38%

If you want 50% solar heat rejection, go with a more expensive product, Huper Optik C70 or 3M Prestige70.

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/a ... 663&rt=rud

sunny_socal

Postby sunny_socal » Wed May 17, 2017 8:47 am

We got tint on the southern side of our house. When we bought the place there were mesh blinds installed on the exterior, they were broken and I removed them prior to painting the walls.

The tint:
- Softlite 35 by Sunscape, SF 35 DA SR
- Solar energy: transmitted 23%, reflected 33%, absorbed 44%
- Visible light: transmitted 33%, reflected exterior 25%, reflected interior 26%, UV rejected 99%, glare reduction 63%, IR rejection 81%, energy rejected 65%
- UV Value 0.94, emissivity 0.72, efficacy 0.82, shading coef 0.4, heat gain coef 0.35

Haven't been through a hot summer with it yet but happy so far.

http://www.sunscapefilms.com/performance-data

(Some specs seem to differ from what I quoted, I copied directly from the flyer we received)
Last edited by sunny_socal on Wed May 17, 2017 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

mw1739

Postby mw1739 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:49 am

We have 3M tint on our windows. I can't say for sure that our AC bills are lower, but it makes the house far more comfortable than it was before the tint was applied.

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Wed May 17, 2017 10:01 am

jainn wrote:yes, the number advertised on window tint is the amount of light that continues to shine through the window after applying. Your condo management is comfortable with 55-70% of light coming through, anything causing the windows to be darker would cause them to notice and be unhappy.

Panorama CX-60:

If you want 50% solar heat rejection, go with a more expensive product, Huper Optik C70 or 3M Prestige70.

Thank you for your response. My condo unit faces west, so it can get pretty warm in the late afternoon during the spring-fall period, even when I have my shades down.
Gordon

psteinx

Postby psteinx » Wed May 17, 2017 10:04 am

A few years back I bought a somewhat inexpensive ($10-$20?) roll of some window tinting film, to try. I put some on, and was not pleased with the look, so took it off and dropped the idea.

You may want to try a little bit yourself before jumping into a potentially expensive project...

englishgirl

Postby englishgirl » Wed May 17, 2017 10:34 am

We did it ourselves on the southern-facing windows in our house with some cheap film I got from Amazon. It made a big difference to how comfortable our living room is when the sun is shining! I don't know how much it reduced AC bills because we did it quickly on moving in once we realized how hot is is in there without the tint, but I assume that the AC is working less hard as it doesn't have to reduce the oven-like temperatures that were going on.
Sarah

yearzero

Postby yearzero » Wed May 17, 2017 11:53 am

If anyone has purchased window film they were happy with on Amazon, can you please include a link to that product in this thread?

Thank you very much.
"Don't waste your time, or time will waste you"- Muse-Knights of Cydonia

runner3081

Postby runner3081 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Keep in mind that some window manufacturers will void your warranty if you apply a tint to them. Obviously, not a big concern as you can remove before they come out for a repair/replacement.

"Some window manufacturers will void the consumer 5 warranty for the unit if any window film is installed on the glass."

http://www.iwfa.com/professional/Profes ... Glass.aspx

FraggleRock

Window tint (film) on house windows

Postby FraggleRock » Wed May 17, 2017 8:55 pm

3M film, $850 USD
I went with the advice of the sales rep/expert.
Very happy after 4 years.
Way more comfortable. A lot less heat.
5 panel window wall Image
Last edited by FraggleRock on Thu May 18, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tamales

Postby Tamales » Wed May 17, 2017 11:51 pm

How is this priced? Is it (for a given film) a flat rate per square foot of window area including installation?

Or is it more like a carpet install and they tack on say 20% waste depending on roll width and avoiding seams on large windows?

Some (most?) of the higher performance, higher cost films can only be bought if you're a certified installer. So a self-install isn't an option. I remember the HuperOptic getting rave reviews when I last shopped for car window tint but there were few installers of that particular film brand.

magellan

Postby magellan » Thu May 18, 2017 6:06 am

I applied DIY solar film on the inside of 2 velux skylights about 5 years ago and overall I've been very happy with the result.

Unfortunately, the air seal on one of the skylights blew and this has dramatically reduced its insulating capability in the winter. It's very noticeable after a snowfall. The 'good' skylight will be fully covered with snow but the skylight with the blown seal will be almost completely clear.

There's no way to know if the seal failure was caused by the window tint but I think it's a real possibility.

sunny_socal

Postby sunny_socal » Thu May 18, 2017 4:23 pm

Our price was < $500 installed for the following:
- One very large kitchen windows
- Glass door in kitchen
- Two Large living room windows
- Two Smaller living room windows

I could have probably had the whole house done for about $3k but we don't need the tint elsewhere

dbr

Postby dbr » Thu May 18, 2017 4:38 pm

Tamales wrote:Has anyone had window film applied to your house windows for the main purpose of reducing AC bills in the summer?
If so, did it meet your expectations (assuming for the sake of argument, a film with ~50% solar energy rejection)?

Also wondering if anyone has seen any studies on whether sun screens (window screens that are a tighter weave than regular window screens) produce about the same benefit, or maybe if the combination is additive?

An alternative to window tinting/screening is shading. That starts with trees but can include awnings and other structures.

On another note, window treatments that involve too much energy absorption rather than reflection can become very hot themselves. That is the issue with voiding window warranties and causing problems.

Bengineer

Postby Bengineer » Thu May 18, 2017 5:17 pm

Tamales wrote: ...Also wondering if anyone has seen any studies on whether sun screens (window screens that are a tighter weave than regular window screens) produce about the same benefit, or maybe if the combination is additive?

No studies, but I've installed solar window screens over plain glass windows (single & double pane, not low-e) on two houses now. Effective, economical, offer daytime privacy, removable for solar gain in winter, easy to replace.

They substantially reduce the insolation in the summer months on the south and west windows.

To me, the differences between screens and films are that screens cut the entire light spectrum equally, say 65%, while films may cut parts of the spectrum more than others. It's possible you could get higher transmission in the visible portion while cutting IR & UV more.

The energy absorbed by films will also raise the temperature of the glass unit. Films on the interior surface of the glass unit will raise the temperature even more, as some of the light reflected by the film is absorbed by the glass.

bluebolt

Postby bluebolt » Fri May 19, 2017 11:36 am

If budget is unlimited, you could go with something amazingly cool like this:

http://www.invisishade.com/

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Sat May 20, 2017 6:59 pm

jainn wrote:yes, the number advertised on window tint is the amount of light that continues to shine through the window after applying. Your condo management is comfortable with 55-70% of light coming through, anything causing the windows to be darker would cause them to notice and be unhappy.

Panorama CX-60:

Would your recommendation change if I also wanted glare reduction, in addition to heat rejection?

Thanks.
Gordon

dbr

Postby dbr » Sun May 21, 2017 8:49 am

gkaplan wrote:

Panorama CX-60:

Would your recommendation change if I also wanted glare reduction, in addition to heat rejection?

Thanks.

Presumably you want visible light reduction. That 3M film uses a technology with a sharp cutoff for IR that allows high visible light transmission. Note that you can't get really high solar heat reduction with no reduction in glare because a significant fraction of solar energy is in the visible. I don't know if there is a technology out there that uses a polarized filter on windows to specifically block visible light that is reflected from water or clouds if that is what you take to be glare.

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Sun May 21, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks, dbr. Good to know.
Gordon

wageoghe

Postby wageoghe » Sun May 21, 2017 1:18 pm

runner3081 wrote:Keep in mind that some window manufacturers will void your warranty if you apply a tint to them. Obviously, not a big concern as you can remove before they come out for a repair/replacement.

"Some window manufacturers will void the consumer 5 warranty for the unit if any window film is installed on the glass."

http://www.iwfa.com/professional/Profes ... Glass.aspx

I would suggest being very careful about not only the possibly warranty voiding aspect of applying film, but also the very real possibility that the film could damage your windows (thinking specifically of insulated windows). If you did have a warranty claim on a window with film applied, it doesn't seem quite kosher to just remove the film before they come out for service, especially if the warranty claim is for a problem that might have been caused by the film.

There may very be many films that are safe (maybe most are, who knows?). I wonder how many films come with a guarantee that the window won't be damaged? Probably not many, if any, as I doubt it would be easy to ascertain exactly why a window failed.

In evaluating the choice of whether or not to install film on insulated windows, I would consider it a possibility that one or more of the windows could fail and that I would have to pay out of pocket to replace them. If you are ok with that, then go ahead.

Edited to add:

There is at least one window tint company that appears to offer a warranty against certain window damage if you have their film installed.

http://www.pacific-tint.com/window-tint ... e-windows/

I picked this company to post because it was at the top of the google results when I searched for "window tint on insulated glass". I don't know anything more about the company than that.

It's hard to tell how good the warranty really is. In this case, the tint company guarantees against seal failure for three years and stress fractures for five years. That's better than nothing, but the insulated windows we had installed a few years ago came with a lifetime warranty.

There may very well be better film warranties out there. Or you might not be planning to stay in your house much longer than a film warranty might last.

Good luck!

Phineas J. Whoopee

Postby Phineas J. Whoopee » Sun May 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Hows abouts car windshield reflectors, purchased and then cut to size? Should they work? My windows face due east, I'll have shade in about ten years when the trees grow taller, and by the time I get up early in the morning to prepare to go out it's really hot in here, outside the all-night a/c bedroom, during the time of year when the sun's angle is around its high point.

Yes, I am aware of the existence of air conditioner timers. I'm thinking, prompted by this thread, of ways to prevent the problem, rather than ways to treat it.

PJW
Last edited by Phineas J. Whoopee on Sun May 21, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbr

Postby dbr » Sun May 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:Hows abouts car windshield reflectors, purchased and then cut to size? Should they work? My windows face due east, I'll have shade in about ten years when the trees grow taller, and by the time I get up in the morning and turn on the living room air conditioning it gets really hot in here when the sun's angle is around its high point.

Yes, I am aware of the existence of timers. I'm thinking, prompted by this thread, of ways to prevent the problem, rather than ways to treat it.

PJW

If you are willing to cover the windows altogether then just sheet over the inside with aluminum foil. The advantage is everything (sort of) is reflected rather than absorbed. In general it is a better idea to reflect unwanted energy than absorb it. Maybe this is of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO_xbi5tXqc It is true that film on the inside will give two passes of light through the window and more heating of the glass. A reflective barrier on the outside and spaced a bit from the glass would best. I think aluminum foil is about 88% reflective and silver coatings about 95% reflective. There are technologies that are nearly 100% reflective but would be very expensive in an architectural application.

Note that 3M film mentioned is an IR reflector and not an absorber.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Postby Phineas J. Whoopee » Sun May 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Thanks for the information, dbr.

One of the things about the car windshield reflectors, which might or might not work, is I can easily remove them later on when the sun isn't shining directly in from the east. I do like natural light, but not necessarily natural high heat.

I'm sorry about adjusting conditions based on your reply. Perhaps we need an asking window reflector questions format.

PJW

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”