Adblockers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ilovedogs

Adblockers

Post by ilovedogs » Mon May 15, 2017 4:34 pm

Before posting, I searched for a past post that helped with setting up my Mac. I used the info there to install very useful adblocking on my laptop. That laptop is awaiting a very expensive repair, so I am using something else. It's a Mac Air with all updates. But it does not have my very excellent adblocking.

I'll provide an example. I read the NY Times, sometimes clicking on articles and sometimes just reading all the headlines. The very day I began using this laptop with Adblock Plus, I started getting constant tracking ads from the NY Times about how many articles I read. This was with a so called "private window" on the latest Firefox browser, Adblock Plus installed a week ago, and NoScript and Ghostery installed recently too.

I doubt it's about the NY Times doing something different right now, but wonder if new Adblock Plus installations are different than before. I had not had any problem with adblocking on my other Mac and never saw the NY Times ads.

Any suggestions? It's not just the NY Times, but it's the one that's changed the most and it's my home page.

Thanks.
Last edited by ilovedogs on Mon May 15, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FraggleRock

Re: Adblockers

Post by FraggleRock » Mon May 15, 2017 4:41 pm

I use https://www.ghostery.com on my iMac/Safari.
I also use AdBlockPlus.
Both have their strengths/weaknesses.

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Mon May 15, 2017 4:56 pm

ilovedogs wrote:This was with a so called "private window" on the latest Firefox browser
Are you doing any browsing outside of Private Browsing? Firefox turns on Tracking Protection by default in Private Browsing, but you can also enable it for regular browsing:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... protection

gator1

Post by gator1 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:26 pm

Can't comment on Firefox(Haven't used it in awhile) but I use a combo of Safari and Chrome and for Adblockers I use a combo between the 2 browsers of Adguard(My new favorite), Adblock, Adblock Plus, and Ghostery.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Tue May 16, 2017 8:15 am

Is your Acceptable Ads setting in ABP different on the MBA than on your regular laptop?

Starting From Scratch

Post by Starting From Scratch » Tue May 16, 2017 9:54 am

Highly recommend 1Blocker for Mac/iOS.

https://1blocker.com/

crazygrow

Post by crazygrow » Tue May 16, 2017 10:10 am

Just as an FYI - these adblocker companies (most of them) sell your data and information and are also beginning to monetize by serving ads. I work in an industry that buys from them and most of them are doing it.

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Tue May 16, 2017 11:10 am

Opera browser has a built-in ad-blocker, works quite well.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Tue May 16, 2017 11:26 am

crazygrow wrote:Just as an FYI - these adblocker companies (most of them) sell your data and information and are also beginning to monetize by serving ads. I work in an industry that buys from them and most of them are doing it.
Indeed; I use uBlock origin and to my knowledge this is not one of the adblock programs that does so (or else it would be forked).
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

peter_s

Post by peter_s » Tue May 16, 2017 1:12 pm

Another recommendation for ublock running on chrome browser -- replaced adblock with ublock 2 or 3 years ago -- does a good job.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Tue May 16, 2017 1:42 pm

I use Ghostery and am pleased with it. I tried to implement Adblocker but had issues with it and moved on to Ghostery. It is a good product and simple to setup and use. I use it for Chrome, my primary browser, and IE which I occasionally use

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Tue May 16, 2017 3:46 pm

carolinaman wrote:I use Ghostery and am pleased with it. I tried to implement Adblocker but had issues with it and moved on to Ghostery. It is a good product and simple to setup and use. I use it for Chrome, my primary browser, and IE which I occasionally use
Ghostery and ad blockers are solving different problems; I use both.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Tue May 16, 2017 3:52 pm

triceratop wrote: Ghostery and ad blockers are solving different problems.
Can you please elaborate?

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue May 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Check your AdBlock Plus settings and make sure the box allowing some non-intrusive ads to be displayed is not checked.

Make sure that your FireFox "private window" setting allows extensions to work at all. I use Chrome instead of Firefox, and it blocks the extensions in the Incognito windows unless you specifically allow them, because the extensions themselves can observe and track what you are doing, which defeats the purpose of using the Incognito window in the first place.

I also use Privacy Badger from the EFF to adjust cookie settings. It wouldn't help with the problem you are having but it does help manage cookies so that web pages still work but with the minimum amount of tracking.

https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Tue May 16, 2017 5:03 pm

Flobes wrote:
triceratop wrote: Ghostery and ad blockers are solving different problems.
Can you please elaborate?
Ghostery detects and blocks tracking technologies to speed up page loads, eliminate clutter, and protect your data.

ublock is an ad-blocker.

It is tracking protection vs. ad blocking.