Anyone use "MyPillow" pillows?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
zaplunken

Anyone use "MyPillow" pillows?

Post by zaplunken » Mon May 15, 2017 3:24 pm

https://www.mypillow.com/
I did many searches here but to my surprise I found only one post about MyPillow.com so I was wondering if anyone has bought their pillows? I am a side sleeper and keeping your neck aligned with your body seems to make sense. I find myself doing the things the MyPillow site mentions about doubling a pillow or putting my fist under the pillow to raise it so my head/neck are in a more comfortable level. For many years I have seen TV ads, heard radio ads, I went to the website and while I can buy cheaper pillows locally I tend to think the alignment thing has merit. Anyone used their pillows? Pro or con?

HueyLD

Re: Anyone use "MyPillow" pillows?

Post by HueyLD » Mon May 15, 2017 3:31 pm

My Pillow Settles Consumer Lawsuit Over Health Claims for $1 Million

http://www.consumerreports.org/my-pillo ... ettlement/

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon May 15, 2017 3:47 pm

I have a contoured pillow made of memory foam with divots for the shoulder. It has greatly improved the quality of my sleep and reduced pain and soreness that I used to wake up with because I had neck surgery years ago. I sleep on my side and need a significant amount of support for my head to take pressure off the neck. I had tried every kind of pillow from feather to fiber fill to chunks of foam to pillows with a foam core surrounded by fiber fill, in different shapes and degrees of firmness, but the dense, contoured foam is best.

The particular pillow I have was available in three sizes, with more density to the foam depending on the size. Right now there seems to be only one size offered and only on Amazon and at an outrageous price, so I won't recommend it specifically, but would definitely recommend looking for a dense, contoured memory foam pillow, as there are other brands available. Some of the others use the term "butterfly" or "cervical" in addition to "contour" in the description and also mention side-sleeping. The only drawback is that a standard case fits loosely.
Last edited by Pajamas on Mon May 15, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Mon May 15, 2017 3:48 pm

Thanks. I don't remember hearing those kinds of claims that the suits were filed on, maybe that was advertising from 3-6 years ago. I would not expect a pillow to "cure" illnesses but the concept of keeping the head, neck and body aligned for a comfortable sleep does make sense to me. I have experimented with the 2 pillows I use and I do feel I am comfortable when my neck is straight relative to my head and body position and not comfortable when my head is lower or higher. Again I sleep on my side. I have an opinion about those law suits and why they were filed especially based upon the date but it's not germane to my inquiry.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon May 15, 2017 3:50 pm

My wife and daughter (both have had back and neck issues) bought them and felt they were no different than a standard pillow.
Based upon Dr. recommendations they now buy pillows from Core Products:
http://www.coreproducts.com/

EDIT ADD: CoreProducts have both Foam and Fiber pillow options. Their Fiber pillows have the firm density of foam pillows.
Last edited by DaftInvestor on Mon May 15, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Mon May 15, 2017 3:51 pm

Pajamas wrote:I have a contoured pillow made of memory foam with divots for the shoulder. It has greatly improved the quality of my sleep and reduced pain and soreness that I used to wake up with because I had neck surgery years ago. I sleep on my side and need a significant amount of support for my head to take pressure off the neck. I had tried every kind of pillow from feather to fiber fill to chunks of foam to pillows with a foam core surrounded by fiber fill, in different shapes and degrees of firmness, but the dense, contoured foam is best.

The particular pillow I have was available in three sizes, with more density to the foam depending on the size. Right now there seems to be only one size offered and only on Amazon and at an outrageous price, so I won't recommend it specifically, but would definitely recommend looking for a dense, contoured memory foam pillow, as there are other brands available. The only drawback is that a standard case fits loosely.

Doesn't memory foam retain heat? To me that would be horrible I generate enough warmth the last thing I would want a is pillow that holds heat. Am I wrong about heat retention? Seems I read that about memory foam mattresses.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon May 15, 2017 3:58 pm

I have one. Mixed reviews.

I too am a side sleeper. It used to be easy to find a pillow that worked for me, but it became difficult some years ago. I don't know why. I just know that nothing I bought worked like what I had before.

I got a MyPillow and it seemed to work for me just fine for quite awhile. Now I use it for a "leaning on" pillow, not a head pillow. I can't really say why I switched.

No matter what you learn from this thread, this is a "pay your money and take your chances" issue. You will only know if it works for you by trying it. That probably means buying it. :?

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon May 15, 2017 4:02 pm

I don't have a mypillow, but I did recently get a Panda pillow from Costco.

Show schedule:
https://www.costco.com/panda-life-schedule.html

They are available on amazon as well. Anyway, I'm a side sleeper and I think this is an excellent pillow for the money. :beer

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon May 15, 2017 4:09 pm

zaplunken wrote:
Doesn't memory foam retain heat? To me that would be horrible I generate enough warmth the last thing I would want a is pillow that holds heat. Am I wrong about heat retention? Seems I read that about memory foam mattresses.

I generally suffer from heat and definitely don't like sleeping in heat and haven't noticed any problems with heat with a memory foam mattress and pillow. They do feel very different at first and some people just don't give them a fair chance or still don't like the way they feel after sleeping on them for a while.

I have always been a pillow flipper to find a cool spot and with the particular memory foam pillow I have, there are two divots for the shoulder for side sleepers and one in the middle for back sleepers, so I can slide the pillow over, scoot over, or turn to the other side to find a cool spot.

I would recommend trying one rather than accepting what you read. If you think about it, feathers and down are a highly efficient form of insulation, barely rivaled by similar synthetic materials. I do think a feather or down pillow sleeps hot, especially since my head tends to sink into even a firm one.

The shredded foam pillows like the Panda one mentioned above are noticeably lumpy, which bothered me.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Mon May 15, 2017 4:16 pm

Pajamas wrote:
zaplunken wrote:

I generally suffer from heat and definitely don't like sleeping in heat and haven't noticed any problems with heat with a memory foam mattress and pillow. They do feel very different at first and some people just don't give them a fair chance or still don't like the way they feel after sleeping on them for a while.

I have always been a pillow flipper to find a cool spot and with the particular memory foam pillow I have, there are two divots for the shoulder for side sleepers and one in the middle for back sleepers, so I can slide the pillow over, scoot over, or turn to the other side to find a cool spot.

I would recommend trying one rather than accepting what you read. If you think about it, feathers and down are a highly efficient form of insulation, barely rivaled by similar synthetic materials. I do think a feather or down pillow sleeps hot, especially since my head tends to sink into even a firm one.

The shredded foam pillows like the Panda one mentioned above are noticeably lumpy, which bothered me.

I feel a little warm when sleeping on a memory foam mattress, but have had no such issue with my memory foam pillow.
I love it and I find it incredibly comfortable, but it's not for everyone.

bonfire

Post by bonfire » Mon May 15, 2017 4:21 pm

I have one. not my taste....too soft and fluffy. Got a free latex pillow when I bought a brooklyn bedding mattress last year. nice and dense and firm. love that thing

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon May 15, 2017 4:25 pm

bluebolt wrote:I feel a little warm when sleeping on a memory foam mattress, but have had no such issue with my memory foam pillow.
I love it and I find it incredibly comfortable, but it's not for everyone.

What's interesting is that many hotels, notably Marriott, use foam mattresses. You are right that not everyone likes them, but they are generally better-liked than other mattress types and much more so than inner-spring mattresses. People who don't like the way memory foam responds might be happier with latex or non-memory synthetic foam. If heat is a problem, a mattress pad will reduce the responsiveness of the memory foam and perhaps the heat.

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/bed-mat ... -home.html

theDON2050

Post by theDON2050 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:26 pm

I love the Perfect Pillow.

http://www.bergners.com/product/990428. ... ctads-adid^66604661781-device^c-plaid^109975768811-sku^0031374555445@ADL4BERGNERS-adType^PLA

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate » Mon May 15, 2017 4:28 pm

I have one and I love it. I too am a side sleeper and have problems with chronic neck pain and cervical radiculopathy. I find when I forget to bring it with me places I am back to struggling to sleep. Arm numb and tingly and flipping from side to side. Granted I have not tried any other memory foam or high-dollar pillow so perhaps there are better options out there. However I really enjoyed mine.

DA

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Mon May 15, 2017 4:29 pm

I think they are okay. As with any pillow, some will love them, some will hate them. My wife uses one, but she took mine as hers was too thin, according to their size chart and we did't care to return one

I wouldn't take any proposed health/alignment benefits into consideration.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

enebyberg

Post by enebyberg » Mon May 15, 2017 5:09 pm

I have My Pillow and like it. Not as good as my Tempur pillow which I usually use.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon May 15, 2017 5:41 pm

My MIL loves her mypillow. My husband uses one of the dense foam pillows with the cut out. It significantly helped some neck problems he was having. The dense foam pillow needs to sized correctly though as it is the height that it is.

marc515

Post by marc515 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:06 pm

The best pillows we've ever had are the Eden Pillows, made by Coop Home Goods.

https://coophomegoods.com/collections/p ... den-pillow

If you do some searches, you will find they have the best reviews.

m

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:14 pm

OP - I'd suggest visiting a local store that carries them to give it the 'feel test' before purchasing. My local Bed Bath & Beyond had them in stock when I was last pillow shopping, and while I was intrigued, and beside the $50/pillow price turning me off, it's got a very unique feel. I would describe it as foam peanuts (like what is used in shipping boxes for fill) tightly bound in a thin fabric. While I didn't test drive it on my head while laying down in store, it stuck me as not being very comfortable from materials feel.

ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Wed May 17, 2017 11:47 am

MyPillow is overpriced.

Look on Amazon...we've been very happy with our "shredded memory foam" pillows with "bamboo covers." The shredded memory foam allows you to adjust the position and amount of fill in the pillow, versus a standard memory foam pillow which comes in a predefined shape. The bamboo cover is supposed to help prevent heat buildup.

There are several makers...read the reviews and make sure you do a http://www.fakespot.com check.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Wed May 17, 2017 11:58 am

I didn't realize that MyPillow was sold other than directly from the company so. I don't need 2 for $100, 1 for $50 would be fine so maybe that's a way to try it. The problem with a pillow is until you use it you really won't know how it works for you. If I could get a product that is as effective for less than $50 fine but again there is no way of knowing whether the $25 or $35 or $65 pillow is better or worse.

fposte

Post by fposte » Wed May 17, 2017 12:05 pm

You don't have to get a MyPillow to get a contour pillow for side sleepers. Heck, the one I'm using I got at a Big Lots, and I love it.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed May 17, 2017 12:22 pm

ArmchairArchitect wrote:The bamboo cover is supposed to help prevent heat buildup.

The "bamboo" covers are simply rayon and the rayon is no different from rayon made of wood fiber. The FTC has done some enforcement against those who advertise "bamboo" textiles, but not nearly enough. There was a crackdown on Amazon a few years ago, but the effect was just a blip.

https://www.ftc.gov/bamboo-textiles

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed May 17, 2017 12:27 pm

zaplunken wrote:I didn't realize that MyPillow was sold other than directly from the company so. I don't need 2 for $100, 1 for $50 would be fine so maybe that's a way to try it. The problem with a pillow is until you use it you really won't know how it works for you. If I could get a product that is as effective for less than $50 fine but again there is no way of knowing whether the $25 or $35 or $65 pillow is better or worse.

Do you have a Bed Bath & Beyond near you? They have a large variety of pillows, so it's a great place to see what type of pillow you might be interested in. (Take your own clean pillowcase to put over the pillows if you want to actually try them out.)

For instance, at one point I thought a buckwheat hull pillow might be a good idea, but actually handling one let me know that it was not right simply because the sound the buckwheat hulls make is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. The shredded foam pillows are lumpy and I don't like the way they feel. It is also a good way to test different foam, fiber fill, and down fill densities. I also found that just a difference in foam density or height made a huge difference in comfort.

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Wed May 17, 2017 2:11 pm

I never tried a My Pillow. But several years ago I purchased a memory foam pillow. I’m a side sleeper and after about one hour my ear was hurting. I returned it to Kohl’s and exchanged it for a memory fiber pillow and discovered that it was just what I needed. It was $20+ but with the 30% discount (a Kohl’s credit card holder) the cost was around $16-$17. To coin a McD commercial phrase I’m loving it just a much today.

High Income Parent

Post by High Income Parent » Wed May 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work. | | C. S. Lewis

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:39 pm

Pajamas wrote:I have a contoured pillow made of memory foam with divots for the shoulder. It has greatly improved the quality of my sleep and reduced pain and soreness that I used to wake up with because I had neck surgery years ago. I sleep on my side and need a significant amount of support for my head to take pressure off the neck. I had tried every kind of pillow from feather to fiber fill to chunks of foam to pillows with a foam core surrounded by fiber fill, in different shapes and degrees of firmness, but the dense, contoured foam is best.

The particular pillow I have was available in three sizes, with more density to the foam depending on the size. Right now there seems to be only one size offered and only on Amazon and at an outrageous price, so I won't recommend it specifically, but would definitely recommend looking for a dense, contoured memory foam pillow, as there are other brands available. Some of the others use the term "butterfly" or "cervical" in addition to "contour" in the description and also mention side-sleeping. The only drawback is that a standard case fits loosely.

This is the pillow that finally got rid of my daily headaches. My spine was generally in a more neutral position throughout the night whether I slept on my side or back. No issues with heat. By the looks of it I had always thought it would be the last pillow I would ever try or that would help. Boy was I wrong.
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:35 am

Got one as a gift from my parents, and it's terrible. My wife does like it as to support her top leg when she side sleeps though, because it's very tall.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:38 am

Check out reviews at Sleepopolis.
That's what steered me to a pillow from Nest Bedding, and I am glad for it.
Did anyone else play Acquire as a child?

dickyboy

Post by dickyboy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:05 pm

Ok...just OK, but overrated and overpriced.

mcraepat9

Post by mcraepat9 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:07 pm

linenfort wrote:Check out reviews at Sleepopolis.
That's what steered me to a pillow from Nest Bedding, and I am glad for it.
+1

Sleepopolis has excellent reviews and videos - I bought the Nest Bedding pillow as a result of the reviews and it was an excellent purchase
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:55 pm

I like the one I bought at WalMart but when we ordered the "better" one from the company, it was too firm. I've had mine (from Walmart) for a couple of years and love it.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:02 pm

Bought one Classic Firm MyPillow at Bed Bath and Beyond today for $49 so tonight I'll be trying it out.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 pm

The power of advertising. No one would give MyPillow a second look if they did not advertise the h3ck out of it.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:19 pm

munemaker wrote:The power of advertising. No one would give MyPillow a second look if they did not advertise the h3ck out of it.
I have wanted to get a new pillow for a while so this is as good as anything and if it doesn't work I can return it to BB&B, this is why I bought locally vs online and having to ship it back. I have nothing to lose and maybe I'll have a good pillow. $49 isn't breaking the bank around here, I'm not trying 10 pillows cuz they are 1/2 the cost just to go to the MP but we shall see. If this doesn't do it then I can look at another.

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:51 pm

The only pillow I can live with is a feather pillow. I bring it with me everywhere. It's soft, but I can shape it for back sleeping or side sleeping. I haven't tried any of these new fangled foam pillows, but based on this thread, I suppose I should at least give it a shot.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:14 am

sunny_socal wrote:I don't have a mypillow, but I did recently get a Panda pillow from Costco.

Show schedule:
https://www.costco.com/panda-life-schedule.html

They are available on amazon as well. Anyway, I'm a side sleeper and I think this is an excellent pillow for the money. :beer
i got a pair about a year ago and it is without a doubt the best pillow i have ever had.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:18 am

never used a my pillow; they are doing road shows in costco. they were in tucson in february and in atlanta about a month ago.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:21 am

No. They constantly run commercials everywhere and they annoy me. I think more is spent on advertising than the pillows themselves.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:46 am

michaeljc70 wrote:No. They constantly run commercials everywhere and they annoy me. I think more is spent on advertising than the pillows themselves.
Well, someone is going to be advertising. On my streaming music service their commercials are way down the list in annoying. Compared to "man-boosting formulas", a curve in an, er, body part, and of course Kars for Kids, those don't bother me much.
This week's fortune cookie: "The stock market may be your ticket to success." I sure hope so!

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:56 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:No. They constantly run commercials everywhere and they annoy me. I think more is spent on advertising than the pillows themselves.
Well, someone is going to be advertising. On my streaming music service their commercials are way down the list in annoying. Compared to "man-boosting formulas", a curve in an, er, body part, and of course Kars for Kids, those don't bother me much.
It's not just the ads. I want to touch and feel a pillow before I buy it. My Pillow seems to only have 1 pillow that is supposed to be what everyone wants. I don't believe it. The level of firmness is important to me in a pillow.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Well you can count me in the I did not care for it crowd. Initially I thought My Pillow was great but after a few hours you sink into it and the only thing I found that worked was to flip and fluff it only to have it be the same next time I wake up. It did not provide support at a proper level re head/spine. I bought it locally, it was called Classic the website pillow is called Premium. Maybe there is a difference but I don't need 2 pillows and if I didn't like it returning it locally was easier than shipping it back so I bought it at BB&B. I returned it after a week and got a Thera Pedic Memory Foam and it is really firm. It was better but my head sinks into it and I need to move to the other end to get out of that depression each time I wake up during the night. Also it doesn't feel like the proper alignment, I used it 3 or 4 nights and it is going back to BB&B too.

It seems that my 2 8 or 10 year old pillows are the best. I will look at the cheaper pillows at BB&B when I return the pillow avoiding anything with foam or down. I want a hard pillow with proper alignment, right now I seem to have that.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:47 pm

I have no idea what a My Pillow costs since the freaking ads on TV don't say.
But as long as it's under $10, I might, emphasize MIGHT, be willing to try one.
But I change channels whenever one of their stupid ads comes on so that may not happen...
Attempted new signature...

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:52 am

It's not under $10... :happy

FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:19 am

I wouldn't order a pillow online. MyPillow has great marketing but their medical claims are dubious at best. 10 year warranty is ridiculous. You should change pillows every 2-3 years IMO. Bed Bath & Beyond has a good selection which I have found very comfortable.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:05 am

The Wizard wrote:
I have no idea what a My Pillow costs since the freaking ads on TV don't say.
But as long as it's under $10, I might, emphasize MIGHT, be willing to try one.
But I change channels whenever one of their stupid ads comes on so that may not happen...
Online it is $99 for 2 pillows (king or queen) or now it has changed to 2 pillows (king or queen) and 2 small pillows.

Locally 1 king or queen is $49.

hulburt1

Post by hulburt1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:09 am

I thought they were fake. Until my son and wife bout one. After putting them in the dryer they love them. We ordered 2 more.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:24 pm

The one sold in stores locally is called "Classic" and there was no mention of putting it in the dryer. The "Premium" which is sold online does say to put it in the dryer. I wondered if that made a difference but I doubt it cuz I would think the Premium are crushed down to the smallest size possible for shipping and require the dryer to bring it back to normal.

I returned the Thera Pedic today and bought the cheapest pillow BB&B sells, $15. I compressed it and it gets firm so in conjunction with one of my other 2 pillows this may work out. If not I will return it and stop buying pillows. :x

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:30 pm

LadyIJ wrote:I like the one I bought at WalMart but when we ordered the "better" one from the company, it was too firm. I've had mine (from Walmart) for a couple of years and love it.
Update: I still love my MyPillow from Walmart. We bought one for my husband and it was too firm. I'm thinking it has to be broken in, and he didn't want to do that I think it is well worth it to break it in - it breaks down a little with time. So I'm still a "yes" on it. Try the cheaper one from Walmart and give it some break in time.