Tipping for restaurants where you order at the counter

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Incendiary

Tipping for restaurants where you order at the counter

Post by Incendiary »

I've noticed three main types of restaurants where you order at the counter. In all, you pay in advance and you are prompted to enter a tip amount:
1. You pick up your food at the counter, then you clean up after yourself and put your dishes by the trash can, like at Panera.
2. They bring the food to you, then you clean up after yourself as in #1.
3. They bring the food out to you and you leave your dishes at the table/they clean up for you.

I don't tend to tip for #1, but am less sure about #2&3.

What about y'all?
jbuzolich

Re: Tipping for restaurants where you order at the counter

Post by jbuzolich »

Generally no tip from me at any counter order situation unless I just really loved the place or knew someone there.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

I usually just tip even though it's probably not justified. The few dollars mean more to them than me.
Watty

Post by Watty »

jbuzolich wrote:Generally no tip from me at any counter order situation ..
+1

Unless I have a kid with me that makes a mess.
student

Post by student »

For 1, definitely no. For 2, likely no. For 3, maybe yes.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

For 1, no. For 2 and 3, maybe, particularly if it's a place I go to regularly. I used to go to one such place every Saturday, for example, and would sit with a magazine and read for 15-20 minutes while I ate. I'd usually throw $1 into the jar on my way out. I don't have any illusions that I changed anyone's life, but thought of it as a small gesture towards the employees at a place that had become part of my routine.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

No for 1 and 2, and depends on #3. For #3, we have 2 small, locally owned restaurants where we tip in this situation. We like the places and they know us there, so we don't mind giving them a few more dollars. We then have a larger, chain restaurant which also fits into this category, and we don't give them a tip (Nando's Peri Peri).
logicteach

Post by logicteach »

At number 1 style, I never tip. The others I sometimes do even though I'm not sure it's justified. I do always tip when I pick up take out from a restaurant that has a dedicated take out counter like PF Changs. That's because students have told me that the servers for the take out counter are regular wait staff that get pulled over to do it. They usually have no choice and lose tips for the time they're not waiting tables so I try to compensate a little by always tipping them.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I tip when possible. (If there's a sign saying "no tipping"--however phrased--I comply). I doubt that the people who bring the food out to me at Smashburger are paid any better, or need the tips any less, than the people at Texas Roadhouse.

I hate tipping, I hate the system; in case anyone isn't aware, despite a complicated history, in the United it was pretty much invented by Pullman and by restaurant owners in the late 1800s as a way to justify underpaying servers, who in many cases happened to be recently freed slaves. But it's the system, and I figure if I can afford to eat out, I can afford to tip. It's not the place to save money.

Here's an ethical question for y'awl. If you get a meal during a restaurant promotion at a seriously, deeply discounted price (second entree for free, for example)--do you tip on the actual discounted price or the regular non-discounted price?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

nisiprius wrote: Here's an ethical question for y'awl. If you get a meal during a restaurant promotion at a seriously, deeply discounted price (second entree for free, for example)--do you tip on the actual discounted price or the regular non-discounted price?
Generally, I tip on what the full price of the meal would have been.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

nisiprius wrote:Here's an ethical question for y'awl. If you get a meal during a restaurant promotion at a seriously, deeply discounted price (second entree for free, for example)--do you tip on the actual discounted price or the regular non-discounted price?
The pre-discount price of course. The server's work is not any less because the owner of the restaurant gives you a discount.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

Incendiary wrote:I've noticed three main types of restaurants where you order at the counter. In all, you pay in advance and you are prompted to enter a tip amount:
1. You pick up your food at the counter, then you clean up after yourself and put your dishes by the trash can, like at Panera.
3. They bring the food out to you and you leave your dishes at the table/they clean up for you.

What about y'all?
The whole system in the US needs an overhaul as it is so non-standardized.

It's much easier in Europe where service staff is paid a decent wage, and the tip is already included in the bill (you can round up a small amount as customary standard). There are places in the US now operating under that system, but they are still few and far between.

Would you tip for a box of popcorn at a movie?

How about these....?

A take out sandwich at a deli?
A cup of black coffee at $Bux or the Bou?
A cup of ice cream or cone at an ice cream shop?
A cup of soup and 1/2 sandwich at Panera?
A glass of beer at the bar why you wait for your table?

It's all so non-standardized that we need an overhaul of the tipping system in the US so everyone understands. We say it is easiest to just include it in the price, and pay the workers more. Done.

Then we would have no need to memorize some list of 10 to 17 rules of tipping guidelines. :sharebeer
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

HueyLD wrote:
nisiprius wrote:Here's an ethical question for y'awl. If you get a meal during a restaurant promotion at a seriously, deeply discounted price (second entree for free, for example)--do you tip on the actual discounted price or the regular non-discounted price?
The pre-discount price of course. The server's work is not any less because the owner of the restaurant gives you a discount.
I agree with you ... but one of the most illogical aspects of our tipping system is that is tied to the price of the meal. A server in a cheap diner is doing the same amount of work as a server in an expensive restaurant, where the price of the meal (and the tip) may be 5x the cost.
nova1968

Post by nova1968 »

flyingbison wrote:
HueyLD wrote:
I agree with you ... but one of the most illogical aspects of our tipping system is that is tied to the price of the meal. A server in a cheap diner is doing the same amount of work as a server in an expensive restaurant, where the price of the meal (and the tip) may be 5x the cost.
Even more so if you order a bottle of wine.
nova1968

Post by nova1968 »

nova1968 wrote:
flyingbison wrote:
HueyLD wrote:
Even more so if you order a bottle of wine, I like the European approach where the service charge is automatically added to your bill.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Incendiary wrote: 3. They bring the food out to you and you leave your dishes at the table/they clean up for you.
Half-service, half-tip. There used to be cafeteria-style restaurants that worked this way.

Buffets are similar except that you carry your own tray and they may or may not provide beverages and other minor services during the meal and bus the table.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

1. No.
2. No.
3. I don't believe I've ever eaten in such a place, but I would probably leave a small cash tip (if I had cash).

I do leave smaller tips (usually 10%) at buffets where they bring drinks and take away plates but do not provide full table service.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

1. No
2. Sometimes. This is the most awkward system. If I clean up after myself, I'm not leaving a tip on an empty table and wonder if the next diner ended up with it. Sometimes I'll stop by the counter and throw money into a jar, but most of the time I don't.
3. Yes. I frequent a Chinese restaurant that works this way. I order at the counter and they bring me my food on a real plate with real silverware, and then clean up afterwards. I figure they are doing most of the work a normal server does, so I tip. And I appreciate eating off of a real plate.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
Topic Author
Incendiary

Post by Incendiary »

So basically none of you would tip in advance? You would hit the "no tip" button and then tip at the end by leaving some cash on the table?

nisiprius, I tip on the undiscounted total in your scenario.
Last edited by Incendiary on Mon May 15, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Incendiary

Post by Incendiary »

deanbrew wrote:1. No
2. Sometimes. This is the most awkward system. If I clean up after myself, I'm not leaving a tip on an empty table and wonder if the next diner ended up with it. Sometimes I'll stop by the counter and throw money into a jar, but most of the time I don't.
3. Yes. I frequent a Chinese restaurant that works this way. I order at the counter and they bring me my food on a real plate with real silverware, and then clean up afterwards. I figure they are doing most of the work a normal server does, so I tip. And I appreciate eating off of a real plate.
What if they used disposable plates and utensils? I just went to a restaurant like this.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Incendiary wrote: What if they used disposable plates and utensils? I just went to a restaurant like this.
They delivered the food with disposable plates and utensils and cleaned up after you? I would leave a tip.

Part of the issue is you're not sure about the pay system in place. Does all the staff make reasonable wages, as in at least minimum wage? It gets hard to cypher when you have this sort of hybrid type of restaurant.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Incendiary wrote:I've noticed three main types of restaurants where you order at the counter. In all, you pay in advance and you are prompted to enter a tip amount:

What about y'all?
It has been a while since I ate out at a place similar to the one described as option #1, but when I do, after I clear my table I often go to the order counter and pull out a dollar from the ever-present tip jar as compensation for my services.

I do not tip for in respect of option #2.

I tend to leave $1 per person in respect of option #3, which I most often encounter at hotel breakfast places.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

HueyLD wrote:
The real question is...if you have an issue that results in part/all of the meal being comp'd by the restaurant, how do you tip?
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

flyingbison wrote:I agree with you ... but one of the most illogical aspects of our tipping system is that is tied to the price of the meal. A server in a cheap diner is doing the same amount of work as a server in an expensive restaurant, where the price of the meal (and the tip) may be 5x the cost.
That is why for many years, I no longer tip based on some arcane rule based on the exact check amount.

I tip per person, per meal type, based on service. For breakfast or lunch I tip a few dollars +/- per person For dinner I tip several dollars +/- per person.

So that hard working pleasant waitress in a local diner might effectively get 40% for breakfast and that ill-tempered self-entitled waiter might effectively get 10% for dinner.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

mak1277 wrote:The real question is...if you have an issue that results in part/all of the meal being comp'd by the restaurant, how do you tip?
Was it the wait staff's fault? If not, why would you punish them for something beyond their control.
FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket »

A game!
CyclingDuo wrote:
Incendiary wrote: A take out sandwich at a deli? No
A cup of black coffee at $Bux or the Bou? Yes, but I usually get an americano if I want a cup of coffee at starbux
A cup of ice cream or cone at an ice cream shop?Sometimes
A cup of soup and 1/2 sandwich at Panera?No
A glass of beer at the bar why you wait for your table?Yes
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

Incendiary wrote:So basically none of you would tip in advance? You would hit the "no tip" button and then tip at the end by leaving some cash on the table?

nisiprius, I tip on the undiscounted total in your scenario.
I actually tip in pretty much all of these scenarios, for the reasons nisiprius noted. The main exception ends up being if I'm paying at the counter with a credit card at a place that doesn't allow for tipping at that point- I basically never carry cash. Fortunately, it seems like most of the places that have this style of service have switched over to one of the credit card servicers that allows you to select the tip at the counter.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Incendiary wrote:So basically none of you would tip in advance? You would hit the "no tip" button and then tip at the end by leaving some cash on the table?
How would I know how much to tip in advance? I base my tip (partly, anyway) on the service I get, and I can't know that in advance.

To answer your question, no I never tip in advance. For any of the scenarios mentioned, I would leave a tip in cash after the meal.
AdmiralSnackbar

Post by AdmiralSnackbar »

The tipping culture is definitely a bit untethered to any sensible standard of compensation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but workers' wages at counter-service restaurants are at least minimum wage. When I worked as a waiter, the base rate was below minimum wage, making me dependent on tips. I busted my hump refilling drinks, checking on customers, and providing matchbooks to smokers (tells you how long ago I worked at a restaurant). As for these counter situations listed in by the OP, I would not feel obligated to tip anything, even if the Point-of-Sale device prompts me for a tip amount. However, if the service was great, if I made a huge mess, or if I just wanted to make a deposit into the account of universal good will, then I would certainly be happy to tip.

I am still kind and friendly to the staff, and I say thank you. If they get upset that I don't tip, then they can re-examine their priorities and decide whether it is worth it for them to work in a different type of restaurant where tipping is less ambiguous.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

In almost all of these situations now, the tip is requested in advance, by typing an amount on the screen.

Does anyone know how these digital tips are accounted for and actually allocated to the staff?
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

flyingbison wrote:
nisiprius wrote: Here's an ethical question for y'awl. If you get a meal during a restaurant promotion at a seriously, deeply discounted price (second entree for free, for example)--do you tip on the actual discounted price or the regular non-discounted price?
Generally, I tip on what the full price of the meal would have been.
Yes, I also tip based on the full, nondiscounted price (unless the discount is a regular part of the menu)
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I occasionally eat at Panera. I choose to not tip. There is no table service either, and I take everything away when finished. I never have any special extra work requuests either.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I don't tip in any of those three scenarios but the only times I eat at places like that are when I'm traveling. If it were a local place that I frequented, I might tip in cash at the table following the service of option 3 for whomever picks up the dishes but never ahead of time at the counter. To answer another question, I always tip based off the un-discounted price.
Mike83

Post by Mike83 »

If a counter pickup restaurant of any type presents me with a charge ticket that contains a blank space for tip, I generally do not return to that restaurant.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

The tipping situation I find most puzzling is takeout oders where the same staff handles both takeout and table service. They do almost as much work handling and packaging the takeout order as the same food table service. Table service they get a tip, but usually not for the same takeout order.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

dm200 wrote:The tipping situation I find most puzzling is takeout oders where the same staff handles both takeout and table service. They do almost as much work handling and packaging the takeout order as the same food table service. Table service they get a tip, but usually not for the same takeout order.
I don't tip for handling my food or getting it out to me in either situation. I tip to have my drink refreshed, get an extra plate or more napkins, for my leftovers to be boxed up, for my dirty dishes to be removed and the table cleaned after I leave, etc. I assume the preparation and handling of the food efforts are priced into the cost of the food.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

dm200 wrote:The tipping situation I find most puzzling is takeout oders where the same staff handles both takeout and table service. They do almost as much work handling and packaging the takeout order as the same food table service. Table service they get a tip, but usually not for the same takeout order.
Hmm. I don't see it that way at all. For carryout, the servers are not taking orders, entering them into the system, delivering drinks or food, refilling drinks, bringing me boxes for leftovers or handling the payment. Sure, someone is doing some of that, but not the server. And, to me, not having to clean any plates or glasses saves the restaurant money, yet the price is the same. So, paying the same amount for takeout seems to allow the restaurant to make more money. How they split that up with whoever answers the phone, takes the order and packages the food is their business, not mine. I don't tip for carryout.

edit: Ninja'd, and agree with lthenderson above.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

deanbrew wrote:
Hmm. I don't see it that way at all. For carryout, the servers are not taking orders, entering them into the system, delivering drinks or food, refilling drinks, bringing me boxes for leftovers or handling the payment. Sure, someone is doing some of that, but not the server. And, to me, not having to clean any plates or glasses saves the restaurant money, yet the price is the same. So, paying the same amount for takeout seems to allow the restaurant to make more money. How they split that up with whoever answers the phone, takes the order and packages the food is their business, not mine. I don't tip for carryout.
edit: Ninja'd, and agree with lthenderson above.
The places I have seen this, it is in fact the same servers taking the order, entering in the system, packaging the order (including drinks) and receiving the payment.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

dm200 wrote:The places I have seen this, it is in fact the same servers taking the order, entering in the system, packaging the order (including drinks) and receiving the payment.
Interesting. I suppose that is common, depending on the type of restaurant. I don't regularly takeout food, so I've never given it much thought, but I'm definitely not inclined to tip if I have to drive to the restaurant and carry out my own stuff. Perhaps that's not fair to the servers, but I think they should be paid by the owner for the activities listed in your post.
sk.dolcevita

Post by sk.dolcevita »

1. No.
2. No.
3. May be.

Counter pick up and take out (especially phone or online orders) - No.

I hate US tipping system passionately - it is feudal, exploitative and shaming all combined. But I hate it even more when Americans travel to no-tipping locales and insist on tipping. Once a local friend remarked "you leave and then we locals have to fight to get good service."

I would be happy to pay higher prices in order to get rid of tipping.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

deanbrew wrote:
dm200 wrote:The places I have seen this, it is in fact the same servers taking the order, entering in the system, packaging the order (including drinks) and receiving the payment.
Interesting. I suppose that is common, depending on the type of restaurant. I don't regularly takeout food, so I've never given it much thought, but I'm definitely not inclined to tip if I have to drive to the restaurant and carry out my own stuff. Perhaps that's not fair to the servers, but I think they should be paid by the owner for the activities listed in your post.
Probably not that common, but I saw it regularly at one restaurant that I used to frequent regularly (as dine in).
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

1 Ocassionally
2 I'll tip a dollar.
3 I'll tip a dollar, two if they went and got a drink refill or something.

Lived a couple of years in Australia when/where tipping was not a thing. Got used to it real fast. Very convenient and mostly the service was terrible and I would not have wanted to tip anyway. I appreciate the tipping economy.
PStrider

Post by PStrider »

It's really sad how tipping culture has evolved to what it is today. The question being asked by OP says it all.

I went to visit Thailand couple weeks ago where tipping is not expected. Service was superb in every way. Everywhere we went, we know the servers don't judge its customers based on tips. They just do their jobs and appreciate anything extra we gave them even if it's just chump change. No tipping based on X % nonsense.

Over in the US, tipping is more of an entitlement to servers. As a costumer, you shouldn't have to bribe to get good service, which you're supposed to be getting with or without tipping in the first place.

I like tipping when it felt like a personal gift or charity rather than something society pressures you to.

To answer OP's question, I'm sure you're as passionate about this topic as I do, albeit on a different end of the spectrum. To put simply, tip whenever it makes you feel right/good unless you enjoy being told by strangers how to spend your money.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

1. Nope
2. Nope
3. Nope unless they refill drinks at the table.

I'm really sick and tired of the American culture of expecting a tip. Even worse is the current thread on going to all inclusive resort where American tourists are spreading this tipping stupidity.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

PStrider wrote:It's really sad how tipping culture has evolved to what it is today. The question being asked by OP says it all.
I went to visit Thailand couple weeks ago where tipping is not expected. Service was superb in every way. Everywhere we went, we know the servers don't judge its customers based on tips. They just do their jobs and appreciate anything extra we gave them even if it's just chump change. No tipping based on X % nonsense.
Over in the US, tipping is more of an entitlement to servers. As a costumer, you shouldn't have to bribe to get good service, which you're supposed to be getting with or without tipping in the first place.
I like tipping when it felt like a personal gift or charity rather than something society pressures you to.
To answer OP's question, I'm sure you're as passionate about this topic as I do, albeit on a different end of the spectrum. To put simply, tip whenever it makes you feel right/good unless you enjoy being told by strangers how to spend your money.
I pretty much hate the tipping culture in so many types of business. For so many workers, though, tips are an expected (and usually deserved) compensation. In the restaurant business, I suspect that (from the employer viewpoint) the employer can better control costs because if they had to pay the same compensation, hourly wages would be much higher and they would have to pay that higher wage during the slow times. There is also the motivation of tipping for better quality work. As pointed out, many parts of the world get along very well with little or no tipping.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Nate79 wrote:1. Nope
2. Nope

I'm really sick and tired of the American culture of expecting a tip. Even worse is the current thread on going to all inclusive resort where American tourists are spreading this tipping stupidity.
A cruise is also pretty much "all inclusive", but significant tips are the major part of the compensation of the ship's employees. We have taken several cruises and there seems to be somewhat of an expected or standard cash tip schedule at the end of each cruise.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

dm200 wrote:
Nate79 wrote:1. Nope
2. Nope

A cruise is also pretty much "all inclusive", but significant tips are the major part of the compensation of the ship's employees. We have taken several cruises and there seems to be somewhat of an expected or standard cash tip schedule at the end of each cruise.
Last time I took a cruise I found the "Required Daily Tip" in the small print of the contract. It was essentially an extra fee they tacked onto everyone's bill. If the expectation was to tip - I would have preferred carrying around this daily-fee in 5's and 1's and handing it out to the folks that deserved it during our trip.

OP: I don't tip for counter-service. I don't always carry cash which makes it hard to tip after the meal and I'm not going to add a tip to my check (since I have to pay in advance) before I even get my food.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

With these latest trends in tipping in advance, it feels to me as if it has moved away from tipping for service to tipping to subsidize low wages.

A negative here compared to other countries.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
s0me0nesmind1

Post by s0me0nesmind1 »

logicteach wrote:At number 1 style, I never tip. The others I sometimes do even though I'm not sure it's justified. I do always tip when I pick up take out from a restaurant that has a dedicated take out counter like PF Changs. That's because students have told me that the servers for the take out counter are regular wait staff that get pulled over to do it. They usually have no choice and lose tips for the time they're not waiting tables so I try to compensate a little by always tipping them.
Your employer paying you bad should have no justification on if someone tips or not. This is a rule that really needs to be stamped into people's heads.

At that point, it's not a "tip", it's simply feeling pity for others and should be considered a gift.

I don't understand why we (the customers) should be held liable (emotionally, monetarily) for employers and their decisions.

Placing the product I purchased into a bag for me and handing me the bag is not a service you should be tipping for. Do you tip the gas station clerk when he places your purchase in a bag as well? At the end o the day, tipping is just a way for the employer to say to their employee's "Oh, you want more money? And you're working hard? I guess you should blame those evil customers for not giving you enough tips". It's essentially a way for employers to act like they are your friend and turn the customer into your enemy.
AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing »

I don't, as a rule, tip for counter service/self serve. I will tip a couple bucks at the occasional "all you can stomach" places where there's a busperson clearing tables. For the rest I consider tipping as part of the cost of eating out, if there was no tipping I just assume the meal prices would rise to cover the increased wages that would follow.