Check engine light. Toyota Avalon 2006, 155K miles [safety issue?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ram

Re: Check engine light. Toyota Avalon 2006, 155K miles [safety issue?]

Post by ram » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:51 pm

lazydavid wrote:
keaton wrote:WOW, yup, glad you have a good paying job since you got taken for a ride on those prices. I hope you were the one that cheaped out on only replaced half the coil packs, and not the mechanic because that is extremely lazy. You can get a whole set of coil packs for 100-150 bucks plus plugs are very cheap....

OE coilpacks aren't anywhere near as cheap as you describe--they run about $70 each--and even if they were, you know what ISN'T cheap? Having a mechanic take off all the upper cowling and remove the intake manifold from the engine to do the work, then replace all the gaskets and reinstall everything.

Replacing all 3 rear coils at the same time when one is bad is the right thing to do, and not lazy in any way. The labor cost to do one of the rears makes it a false economy when a second one subsequently fails. The fronts, on the other hand, anybody can do in 2 minutes. So why pay for them if you don't know that you need them? Or do you really think that after spending 2 hrs replacing the rears, the mechanic said "eh, it'll take me another 4 minutes to do the fronts, and that's just too much for one day"?

I was charged for coilpacks 125 X 3 = 375.
6 spark plugs (platinum).................125.
Labor .......................................250
Taxes .......................................050
Total........................................800

Reportedly all OEM parts.
Ram

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:04 am

That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Parts are a tad on the high side, but that's typical for a dealer. Labor is about what I'd expect.

At some point, you may want to buy the other three coilpacks (online) and replace them yourself. The entire job shouldn't take more than 10 minutes, including the obligatory beer :beer . If memory serves, you need a small flathead screwdriver to lift the locking mechanism on the wire, and a (8mm?) nut driver or ratchet to remove the screws holding them in. Then you'll have all new plugs and coils.

wander

Post by wander » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:24 am

lazydavid wrote:That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Parts are a tad on the high side, but that's typical for a dealer. Labor is about what I'd expect.

At some point, you may want to buy the other three coilpacks (online) and replace them yourself. The entire job shouldn't take more than 10 minutes, including the obligatory beer :beer . If memory serves, you need a small flathead screwdriver to lift the locking mechanism on the wire, and a (8mm?) nut driver or ratchet to remove the screws holding them in. Then you'll have all new plugs and coils.

I am not sure about the 10 minutes. You need skill to replace all spark plugs on the 2006 Avalon. The front 3 spark plugs are easy but for the back 3 spark plugs require removing some stuffs before you can get your hands to the spark plugs physically.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:33 am

wander wrote:I am not sure about the 10 minutes. You need skill to replace all spark plugs on the 2006 Avalon. The front 3 spark plugs are easy but for the back 3 spark plugs require removing some stuffs before you can get your hands to the spark plugs physically.

Read the thread. Or at the very least, the post immediately above mine. All 6 sparkplugs and the 3 rear coilpacks were ALREADY replaced, by the dealer. The only thing left is the front 3 coilpacks. Any one of them can be replaced in <2 minutes.

NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:04 am

itstoomuch wrote:Wires and cap?

Neither of which exist on a car with coil-on-plug ignition.

Hopefully your next suggestion isn't to adjust the idle air mixture on the carb ;)

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:58 am

I don't buy too many cars. :oops:
I knew there was a reason why no one mentioned this prior to my post :annoyed .
But there must be wires to the plugs somewhere unless, :idea: diesel :|
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:05 pm

itstoomuch wrote:I don't buy too many cars. :oops:
I knew there was a reason why no one mentioned this prior to my post :annoyed .
But there must be wires to the plugs somewhere unless, :idea: diesel :|

There are, but unlike in the old days, the wires rarely need to be replaced. They're low voltage/current, as the coil is now directly on top of the plug, and the high current is generated there. Very different between when the ignition voltage was generated in the coil and distributed through the cap and wires. Nowadays the coilpacks get replaced individually when they fail.

burt

Post by burt » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:08 pm

I love my 2010 Avalon, and will replace with another.
Advice: just take it to a reputable dealer/garage and get it checked out.

burt

ram

Post by ram » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Its about 8 to 10 weeks and 2K miles since the initial post. I drove the car 130 miles last weekend and all the vibration is gone. In retrospect the advice to replace the 3 back coils (rather than all) was good advice. The car is running well.

Now "maintenance required" light is on and when I plugged in the ($20) code reader there are no codes. Checked twice. In the past tightening a loose gas tank cap has solved the problem and I am trying that.

The car will be with me (as a 3rd car) for the next 12 months. Any suggestions. The fuel filter was replaced at 100 K miles and I am wondering if a new one is needed now. Thanks.
Ram

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:39 pm

A flashing check engine light indicates a catalyst damaging fault. A catalytic converter is expensive, and you aren't allowed to bypass it or to buy one used from a junkyard. Other posters here have indicated possible causes. In my case it was that I drove the car for ~95k miles mostly on trips of < 3 miles. This caused an above average number of heating and cooling cycles for that mileage, and spark plug gap became so wide that the ignition coil could not jump the gap. I fixed the problem in an afternoon with $20 worth of parts. The spark plugs were supposed to be replaced after 100k miles but my usage was more severe than the average driver.

ram

Post by ram » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:03 pm

The "check engine" light has gone away. Now it is a separate "maintenance required" light.
Ram

TexasMu

Post by TexasMu » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:27 pm

I have a 4runner and the maint light comes on when it is time for an oil change - every 5k miles

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:55 pm

Here's how to reset the oil change (Maintenance) light: http://maint-reqd.upcsite.net/?v=Toyota%20Avalon

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:27 am

ram wrote:
alfaspider wrote:Flickering means the engine is misfiring (spark plug fires but the gasoline does not ignite). That can be due to relatively minor issues like a valve cover gasket leaking oil in the spark plug well, or bad coil pack, or it could be a serious issue like a failed engine internal component.

As far as safety, worst that happens from a safety standpoint is that the engine misfires badly enough that it won't run. Prolonged misfiring could cause more damage to the engine.

If it's only happening occasionally, it's less likely to be a big issue and more likely an ignition problem. I'd replace spark plugs and coils first. Coils are usually a very easy DIY. Spark plugs are also cheap and easy- even though mechanic said they look fine you never know.
Thanks alfaspider. This is reassuring. My concern was related to the safety of the driver. I had purchased the car for $12000 and even if it gets damaged to $0 tomorrow it would come to a perfectly acceptable $1300/yr in depreciation for a decent car.

The current Edmunds estimated price of the car is about $2500.(not counting the needed repair). I am not a DIYer. I will not even replace the wiper blades. (a combination of being lazy and a good hourly rate on my primary job). What would be the approximate cost for replacing coils and all six spark plugs by a mechanic. I am in Low COLA rural midwest. For somebody who will not himself do any maintenance on his own this car is coming to the end of its useful life. It may still be good for the next owner who will do his own work. I once sold a 8 yr old, 110K miles toyota camry to a 19 yr old mechanic who was very excited to buy his first car.
In 2010 I sold a 1999 Avalon with over 200k miles for $2800 to another private seller.

A year ago I got $4000 trade from a dealer on a 2007 Avalon with about 180k miles sitting in their shop in need of significant repairs. And I think that was a fairly real number as the trade was for another used car that was already discounted.

ram

Post by ram » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:37 pm

rooms222 wrote:Here's how to reset the oil change (Maintenance) light: http://maint-reqd.upcsite.net/?v=Toyota%20Avalon
Did that. Worked perfectly. Thanks.
Ram

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:32 am

ram wrote:
rooms222 wrote:Here's how to reset the oil change (Maintenance) light: http://maint-reqd.upcsite.net/?v=Toyota%20Avalon
Did that. Worked perfectly. Thanks.
I assume you changed the oil at some point or had it changed? Dont just reset the list and never change the oil...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin