Switch from iPhone to Google Fi and Pixel?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Calygos

Switch from iPhone to Google Fi and Pixel?

Post by Calygos » Sat May 13, 2017 10:46 pm

I've had my iPhone 6+ since Dec 3, 2014 and I paid over $900 for it including tax (the < $1/day for it will be near the end of next month). I'm not a Mac guy, per se, I believe in using the right tools for the right jobs, and I do have a ~3.5-year old 15-inch MacBook pro that has served me well. So, I'm debating switching to Google Fi and getting either a Google Pixel. Anyone here have experience with Google Fi and/or the Pixel who would like to weigh on in this idea? FWIW, I've been with Verizon for a long time now though I hold no loyalty. I'm paying about $61 with tax for my 2 GB data plan though I use maybe 20% of that.
Last edited by Calygos on Sun May 14, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dominic

Re: Switxh from iPhone to Google Fi and Pixel?

Post by Dominic » Sat May 13, 2017 11:09 pm

I don't have experience with Fi. On paper, it sounds like a great idea to combine the capabilities of Sprint and T-Mobile (and US Cellular if you're in the midwest). I'm not entirely sure how it works in practice.

I have a Pixel, and it's a phenomenal phone. Software will always be up-to-date, performance is smooth, battery life is decent, and the camera is probably one of the best on the market. If you want an Android phone, this is a good one. I'm not sure if any better ones have come out in the last 6 months or so, though, so I'd look around further. The Galaxy S8 in particular looks like a great phone in terms of hardware.

jcavana1

Post by jcavana1 » Sun May 14, 2017 6:28 am

Calygos wrote:I've had my iPhone 6+ since Dec 3, 2014 and I paid over $900 for it including tax (the < $1/day for it will be near the end of next month). I'm not a Mac guy, per se, I believe in using the right tools for the right jobs, and I do have a ~3.5-year old 15-inch MacBook pro that has served me well. So, I'm debating switching to Google Fi and getting either a Google Pixel. Anyone here have experience with Google Fi and/or the Pixel who would like to weigh on in this idea? FWIW, I've been with Verizon for a long time now though I hold no loyalty. I'm paying about %61 with tax for my 2 GB data plan though I use maybe 20% of that.

I am thinking about making a similar move. If you end up going this route let us know how it goes.

FWIW, I like Android. Switched from iphone about 5 years ago and have no plans to go back. I really dont think that there is a significant difference between the two experiences. They basically do the same thing.

I will say this...google voice recognition and assistant are amazing technical achievements.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sun May 14, 2017 6:49 am

Calygos wrote:Anyone here have experience with Google Fi and/or the Pixel who would like to weigh on in this idea? FWIW, I've been with Verizon for a long time now though I hold no loyalty. I'm paying about %61 with tax for my 2 GB data plan though I use maybe 20% of that.
As an iPhone user since the 4, I've also considered the Pixel (grass is always greener) :D

The one thing that I do not like and probably cannot tolerate is the unlock button on the rear of the device. I often mount my phone in the car and would find it prohibitively annoying to unlock it that way. Otherwise, the phone has a lot of positive qualities and I would not hesitate to own it.

Are you very deep into iTunes content? Will you be able to transfer all of your pictures to Google Photos?

kjvm

artibug

Post by artibug » Sun May 14, 2017 6:59 am

Not replying regarding the phone but the cell phone provider. We had been with Verizon for over 10 years because it has the best coverage in the area we live. We finally switched to one of those prepaid phone service-Boom.us. Verizon coverage and mine is $25.99 for 1G and DH has $34.99 for 2G with throttle (including all tax and fee). No issue. DH wouldn't have known about the switch if it weren't for the fact that I needed to put in the new SIM card etc. That may provide additional savings.

Tarkus

Post by Tarkus » Sun May 14, 2017 7:09 am

Cell phone coverage follows the 80/20 rule. It is relatively cheap for providers to cover 80% of the population -- the ones who live in urban areas. Almost all cell providers cover these areas really well.

If you live (or travel) in a rural, out-of-the-way area, it is much more expensive to extend coverage to these areas. Only Verizon and AT&T have invested in extending coverage to these areas.

I switched to Project Fi recently and my experience has been great, but I have no data points on what happens when I venture out of the city. I don't really visit rural America very much...

happyisland

Post by happyisland » Sun May 14, 2017 8:26 am

kjvmartin wrote:
The one thing that I do not like and probably cannot tolerate is the unlock button on the rear of the device. I often mount my phone in the car and would find it prohibitively annoying to unlock it that way. Otherwise, the phone has a lot of positive qualities and I would not hesitate to own it.

kjvm
An easy fix for this problem is to have your phone remain unlocked when it is connected to your car's bluetooth. I have mine set this way and it works perfectly.

wonderhow

Post by wonderhow » Sun May 14, 2017 9:37 am

I switched to Project Fi a couple of months ago and absolutely love it. Better signal than before (I was. with USCellular which works great in 90% of the areas I frequent. But now in those 10% where their signal is relatively weak, I see t-mobile or sprint coverage kicked in). So now The signal is excellent 98% or so.

My monthly fee last month was less than $30, despite a weekend out of town where I used GPS a bit. I also like the ability to use data internationally at the same rate. Will check out how well that work at the end of this month.

If you know somebody with an existing account, they can send you a referral link where each of you get $20 credit. Not much, but it basically a month of free text and talk.

You can also cancel and move to other carrier at anytime with no penalty. So if you don't like it, just switch then. Worth a try.

Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua » Sun May 14, 2017 11:16 am

I can't speak to the Pixel but I switched my wife's Nexus 6P to Project Fi and we're happy with bills of around $25 a month. The phone seems to spend about 50% of its time on TMobile and the other 50% on Sprint. We don't live in a large city but coverage has been good. One problem, she recently fell on her Nexus 6P and cracked the screen. The phone still works but replacing it with anything but a Nexus or an expensive Pixel will mean migrating off of Project Fi.

lsui

Post by lsui » Sun May 14, 2017 1:29 pm

I have Fi on Nexus 5x and was in China last month. I could access all the sites normally blocked inside China, FI is awesome.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sun May 14, 2017 8:17 pm

happyisland wrote:
kjvmartin wrote:

kjvm
An easy fix for this problem is to have your phone remain unlocked when it is connected to your car's bluetooth. I have mine set this way and it works perfectly.
That's a nice solution, but my car does not have bluetooth. My wife's car does, but I do not like using it. I still contend that this is a poor position for the unlock button. Largely a matter of personal preference, but my finger doesn't go there in any normal usage. There's a rumor one of the new iPhones is going to use that spot as well, at least until they figure how to keep put Touch ID under the main screen.

rob

Post by rob » Sun May 14, 2017 8:22 pm

I have had Fi for a bit over a year with a Nexus....

- Love it; I rarely use data due to available WiFi.
- Call quality is good and seamlessly switches providers.
- I've used it outside the US with no issues.
- You don't have to use the fingerprint reader on back - use a pattern on front OR finger print OR pin OR.....
- You can also set geo-zones so the phone is unlocked within x of that location - you only need to swipe it in those zones.
- Since you car does not have bluetooth... buy a cheap bt headset and set the phone to unlock while they are present... done and done :-)
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Volkdancer

Post by Volkdancer » Sun May 14, 2017 8:34 pm

What has not been made clear is that Project Fi only charges for the actual data used. The plan starts with $20 for unlimited voice and text. Plus $10 that prepays for 1G of data. If you use only .17G your bill the next month will show a credit for the unused data to offset the $10 for the following month. One is always a month behind in data charges. It is a fair system as you pay only for what you use. Google makes money by "loaning" out the difference between the prepaid $10 and what you don't use. A bit like the overnight lending of interbank finance.

I too am a Project Fi user and am happy with the service. Buy I do not use it much.

Karl V

jjface

Post by jjface » Sun May 14, 2017 8:53 pm

Personally I wouldn't buy a pixel right now as pixel 2 will be here soon enough after the summer. You have a decent phone right now so there is no need to switch urgently.

What I would do instead is move to a verizon MVNO - these are operators who buy service from verizon wholesale and package it into their own plans to sell. I would recommend boom.us Boom are very popular over on howardforums (like bogleheads.org for cellphones). They have an unlimited talk/text and 250mb plan for $19.99 (no tax). If you ever need slightly more data they have 90 day data add ons. Or you can go to unlimited talk and text with 1gb LTE for $24.99. Pretty much the same serice though data is throttled to 5mbps (plenty fast and you will not really care since you use very little). Boom has great customer service, visual voicemail, voLTE and roaming on the verizon extended network all included.

Now I have a iphone 6s and I have used a pixel. The camera is better on the pixel but the iphone 6S is no slouch. Android is better in some respects and worse in others. Hard to say which you would prefer. I like having a proper file system on android. I'd consider the Nexus 6P or Nexus 5X if you want to go with googleFI. The cameras are just as good as the pixel ( I even found the 1080p video recording better on my nexus 5x than the pixel) and they are great value. The nexus 6P being the better phone and probably a closer fit since you are coming from the 6 Plus. I returned the pixel as it offered little improvement over my nexus 5X to justify the price.

Google Fi is okay but you might find the coverage weaker compared to verizon. If you travel internationally it is a nice plan to have for sure. Certainly better than sticking to an expensive verizon plan that you hardly use though I'd consider the alternatives.

pqwerty

Re: Switch from iPhone to Google Fi and Pixel?

Post by pqwerty » Sun May 14, 2017 9:37 pm

My wife and I are both on fi, we will pay 2 dollars for data this month. My work gets nothing but Verizon but using Fi Switch I can roam on US Cellular... doesn't matter since Fi seems to prefer WiFi anyway.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Sun May 14, 2017 11:26 pm

I have a Google Pixel XL on Project Fi and echo others' good experiences. Bill averages about $28/month total, including $5/month damage insurance on phone. Have not traveled with it outside of USA, but within USA service has met expectations. Very nice to be able to put most phone/data use on any public WiFi and know it's secure due to Project Fi architecture/features. Only hesitation is Google's stated Android support end-date for phones, which for the current Pixel generation is Oct 2018, and security patching is Oct 2019. (Reference: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer ... 4822201115 ). That seems a bit short, although it's not "end of life" date.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "I like people - I just don't want to be around 'em." - Russell Gordy

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Sun May 14, 2017 11:54 pm

We switched from T-mobile to Project Fi.

We travel into very rural areas in the mountains to visit family on occasion. The voice coverage is just fine in these marginal areas, but when I need data I often have to "force" the phone to try switching to one of the other networks. (For example, in the area we go to it is often on T-mobile for voice due to stronger signal, but we get no data on T-mobile in that area so I punch in the code on our phone dialing interface to force the phone to jump on a different network where we have fewer bars but the ability to use data). Google Tech support gave me the code to punch into the phones.

I purchased the Nexus 6P because the price was right. Replaced a Samsung Galaxy S3 so the performance jump to the Nexus 6P was huge.

My wife purchased the Pixel. It is great 95% of the time. It has terrible bugs that randomly appear 5% of the time (I haven't contacted Google tech support about it yet). Bug #1 - screen flickering randomly as the phone gets stuck in a loop jumping between two or three apps at a rapid clip (this happens when you try to click an email link to a youtube video). Bug #2 just appeared for the first time today where trying to click on a radio button on an internet form caused the phone to behave as if the "back button" had been pressed. This occurred while trying to unsubscribe from an email ad (can't remember the website/company - it is a normal large corporation).

You can also get a discount on the first month with a referral link. If you private message me, I can send you my referral link and we both get $20 off one month service credited 30 days after you sign up.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon May 15, 2017 3:00 am

I've had Project Fi and the previous Nexus 5X for nearly a year now.
Monthly rates are low and they credit you for unused data.
I'll find out how well it works in France and Portugal over the next month, supposed to be rather seamless.
No cellular service in Belize a few months ago, but Fi admits that, not on their list of 135 countries...
Attempted new signature...

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Mon May 15, 2017 6:32 am

I have Google Fi with a Nexus 5x. First bill was Dec 2015 so 1.5 year user.

My average bill (including tax) is about $26.50/mo. I came from virgin mobile where it was about $37/mo

I'd say the best feature is the wifi calling. We were in northern michigan and didn't have cell service, but the cabin actually had wifi, so I could use my phone but my wife couldn't use hers (she has an iphone on virgin mobile).

Otherwise, in my opinion they are all about the same. I'm not a tech heavy user and all the phones seem to call/text/camera/video/surf just fine. A "Benefit" also is that with google phones you get the updates released to you first.

I don't know about the pixel, but I haven't had any phone issues yet
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Mon May 15, 2017 7:31 am

Ive been on project fi for almost a year now. Have the nexus 5x. I use less than 100mb of data a month though. Im almost always connected to wifi. Bill hasnt gone over $28/month. If you're a slave to cellular data then fi isnt for you. There are cheaper options.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon May 15, 2017 9:18 am

ponyboy wrote:Ive been on project fi for almost a year now. Have the nexus 5x. I use less than 100mb of data a month though. Im almost always connected to wifi. Bill hasnt gone over $28/month. If you're a slave to cellular data then fi isnt for you. There are cheaper options.
Maybe.
My Fi bill has varied between $28 and $44 a month depending on how much I'm traveling that month.
This equates to between 500 MB and 2 GB of cellular data each month. So with Fi's refund on unused data, I'm a happy camper.
If you use 10 GB of cellular data per month there may be better deals, I don't know...
Attempted new signature...

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:28 am

The Pixel is a nice phone. I would pass on Google Fi. Sprint + T-mobile together are worse than Verizon or AT&T.

I don't want to be rewarded for not using my phone. I want to use it. Freely.

H2O Wireless - Unlimited calls/Unlimited text/3GB 4g LTE data/Unlimited 2G data for $27/month (includes all taxes and fees with auto-pay). AT&T coverage.

The bill never changes. I can stream all day.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Mon May 15, 2017 9:40 am

bloom2708 wrote:The Pixel is a nice phone. I would pass on Google Fi. Sprint + T-mobile together are worse than Verizon or AT&T.

I don't want to be rewarded for not using my phone. I want to use it. Freely.

H2O Wireless - Unlimited calls/Unlimited text/3GB 4g LTE data/Unlimited 2G data for $27/month (includes all taxes and fees with auto-pay). AT&T coverage.

The bill never changes. I can stream all day.
Another option is Cricket Wireless which is on the AT&T network. $35/month taxes and fees included gives you unlimited calling, unlimited texting and 4GB LTE data. Next plan up is $45/month with autopay and offers 8GB LTE data and no roaming fees in Canada/Mexico. I believe OP is in Seattle area so the Canada feature may be useful for trips up into BC.
Wiki

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Mon May 15, 2017 10:14 am

Interesting conversation, I'm glad I asked. I haven't replied as I'm just taking in everyone's experiences and thoughts. That said, I will say that one of my reasons for considering this switch is that I really love Google's ecosystem so the more I can leverage it, the better, but I want to make sure it's a fully considered change and not just for the sake of Googlizing my phone platform.

Also, thank you to whichever admin fixed my title. I'd had a couple of drinks when I posted and didn't notice the typo. :P

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:23 am

DSInvestor wrote: Another option is Cricket Wireless which is on the AT&T network. $35/month taxes and fees included gives you unlimited calling, unlimited texting and 4GB LTE data. Next plan up is $45/month with autopay and offers 8GB LTE data and no roaming fees in Canada/Mexico. I believe OP is in Seattle area so the Canada feature may be useful for trips up into BC.
Cricket does have some advantages over H2O. Their $35 plan is 4GB now (this must be a recent change, as some places on the website still show 3GB. The next plan up is 8GB.

If you can take advantage of the Canada/Mexico calling, that may be a deciding factor to spend the extra $8/month on Cricket. For full disclosure, my family has 5 lines on Cricket ($100/month) and my line is on H2O ($27/month). We have 6 phones, so my line is the experimental line. I can move it to wherever the best deal is, with the one requirement that the network be AT&T or Verizon for coverage.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Mon May 15, 2017 11:08 am

I've been pixel on Fi since early February. Was Republic Wireless for several years before that; DW is verizon. Neither of us has ever had an iPhone, so can't help on comparing.

We live on outskirts of Nashville and are often in rural areas in the midwest. My data usage outside of WiFi has never hit 1GB a month, so a constant bill for me. Phone is overkill for me when in US, but the storage will be nice for extended third world travel.

Coverage has been fine. I don't believe DW has had a signal when I didn't--but haven't been into truly remote areas with it yet. Was great to land in Cozumel, turn airplane mode off and immediately have usable phone. (Although T-Mobile is probably even better for this right now given the pricing.)
Edit Signature

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Mon May 15, 2017 11:48 am

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been thinking about going the same route, but might make the following changes:

- Pixel 2 (when they come out) + Google Fi for me
- iPhone 7 ( my current phone) + some cheap Verizon MVNO for DW

That way, when we travel somewhere together, we're more likely to be able get cell coverage.

jesscj

Post by jesscj » Mon May 15, 2017 1:42 pm

I've had Google FI for 1.5yrs with the Nexus 6n and haven't had any concerns. In February of 2016 my wife switched over to FI and has the Nexus 5x. We are now on the group plan that saves about 5 bucks a month. Just had our first international trip to Germany in March, both phones had service and worked just like in the states but with .05 cents a minute for calls. Data worked great used Google maps while driving. Our bill is around 50ish for both lines a month.
"Gonna Make It"

GW208

Post by GW208 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:16 pm

We had never had a smart phone until my wife got a Nexus 5x from Project Fi about 6 months ago. She probably only uses about 5% of what the phone is capable of but is enjoying it and glad she got it. The bill is always right around $23-24. Far and away the best feature for us has been the tech support as we literally knew nothing about getting started with a smart phone. We can e-mail Project Fi tech support and request a call back on our home phone and within a couple of minutes the phone will ring with a very helpful support person on the other end.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Mon May 15, 2017 8:00 pm

I wanted to add that I switched upon retirement to Project Fi , Pixel XL phone from many years of using gov't-provided iPhones (and previously a gov Blackberry). I left behind maybe $15 worth of purchased apps (and work apps of course), all which had android equivalents or which I didn't need or care about anymore. Switching phone systems was easy, and I find most Android stuff pretty logical. I did have to look up the status bar icons at one point because some of the Iconography was not intuitive, but that was a minor issue. I still have an ancient iPod with bluetooth earpods that I use while trail running, so I haven't tried to bring iTunes subscribed podcasts over to the Pixel, but all the podcasts are available via the Stitcher app (or others) on the Pixel. (I just don't want to carry the Pixel on light runs - too bulky.)
Last edited by TimeRunner on Mon May 15, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "I like people - I just don't want to be around 'em." - Russell Gordy

J295

Post by J295 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:02 pm

switching is particularly helpful if you travel internationally

freebeer

Post by freebeer » Mon May 15, 2017 8:51 pm

Don_Qua wrote:... replacing it with anything but a Nexus or an expensive Pixel will mean migrating off of Project Fi.
THIS. I love Project Fi but when my Nexus 6 recently went bye-bye I felt stuck with very limited choice including Pixel that is now getting a bit dated. I ended up with duplicate Nexus 6 for $199 used that was perfect - better battery than my previous! - but it seemed strange to be stuck with 4 phone choices in 2017. But the again I love the service and clearly Google is using it as a loss leader to push their phones, and TANSTAAFL.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:57 am

I used to have Fi, but I switched to 2 person 50$ taxes included MetroPCS plan to save money.

50$ total, not per line.

Taxes on Google Fi can be brutal (as is any other not taxes included carrier)
IT-DevOps System Administrator

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Tue May 16, 2017 8:14 am

I was on Fi with a Nexus 5X for about 4 months and liked everything about it except for the voice quality. In the area where I live we have T-Mobile and Sprint service but no US Cellular, and when on T-Mobile the sound was good but when on Sprint the voice sound quality was very poor to the point on being unintelligible and even dropping calls, so I went back to Verizon. Note: You can use an iPhone on Project Fi (T-Mobile service only). I used my iPhone SE with it for a while. See here: https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/set- ... e-0174991/.

lurkerdan

Post by lurkerdan » Tue May 16, 2017 1:48 pm

freebeer wrote:including Pixel that is now getting a bit dated.
pixel is now dated???

I am following this thread because I have been on Sprint for years, monthly unlimited bill is $75 after taxes, and it seems like Fi could save me some money, my usual usage ranges from 2g-4g per month, and I don't try to keep it down because the current plan is unlimited.

My big stumbling block is the cost of the Pixel. Keep hoping that they go on sale.

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Tue May 16, 2017 7:17 pm

I have Project Fi and a Nexus 5X and love it. I'll admit though, coverage is not as good as GFs employer-provided Verizon iPhone.

I would never own any computer other than a Mac; but I believe the iPhone is one of the most over-rated and over-priced products of all time.

A couple of things I don't think were mentioned:

1. Fi's customer support is astounding. You just go to the Project Fi page and ask to be called - call usually comes within a minute. The agent is typically very knowledgeable and a native-English speaker (no incessant groveling).

2. The google voice assistant seems to work much better than Siri (comparing my experience to GF's under very similar conditions). That being said, perhaps you can install the google thing on an iPhone.

powermega

Post by powermega » Tue May 16, 2017 8:25 pm

If you're a Comcast customer, you could wait until they roll out their network, which has per-GB pricing like Fi, but can use any phone. The underlying network is Verizon. Who knows exactly when it will be working, but it was supposed to be by mid-summer. Only available to current Comcast customers, from what I've read.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

jjface

Post by jjface » Tue May 16, 2017 11:15 pm

lurkerdan wrote:
freebeer wrote:including Pixel that is now getting a bit dated.
pixel is now dated???

I am following this thread because I have been on Sprint for years, monthly unlimited bill is $75 after taxes, and it seems like Fi could save me some money, my usual usage ranges from 2g-4g per month, and I don't try to keep it down because the current plan is unlimited.

My big stumbling block is the cost of the Pixel. Keep hoping that they go on sale.

Someone using that much data is better off with a sprint MVNO like Twigby. $30 for unlimited everything with 2gb LTE. You can set it so that if you go over 2gb then your high speed continues for another 2gb and they just charge you $10 extra that month. You would have saved the cost of a brand new pixel in 12-15 months. Twigby roams on verizon as well for no extra charge.

Tello are good as well.