Tipping at All Inclusive Resort?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
calliecake47

Tipping at All Inclusive Resort?

Post by calliecake47 »

My husband and I just came back from vacation in DR at an AI resort. We always bring money to tip everyone, but we noticed that a lot of people do not tip. For example, this is what we would typically leave for tips:
Drinks - $1/drink
Buffet Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner - $3-$5
Sit down dinner - $10

Just curious what other people do?
knpstr

Re: Tipping at All Inclusive Resort?

Post by knpstr »

seems like all inclusive isn't all inclusive if you have to tip?
"At all-inclusives like Beach and Sandals, the employees are told not to accept tips," says Barth. "But at other all-inclusives, you sometimes find that tipping is not expected but appreciated."
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Sandals is pretty pricey, so if their staff doesn't accept tips, then there is no issue there.

I was at a nice, but relatively inexpensive, all-Inclusive in Mexico in January and it said "service" was included. However, we tipped. We saw other people tip, but not everyone did. We tipped a small amount. Typically $1 for a drink or two and a couple of bucks for the waiter/waitress at meals. We tipped the maid something too, but not a lot. Keep in mind the average wage (which includes doctors, lawyers, etc) in Mexico is $17 a day so no one is expecting a huge tip. If we had stayed next door at the $700 night place, I think they would expect bigger tips (you can argue if it is warranted).
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Sat May 13, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

calliecake47 wrote:My husband and I just came back from vacation in DR at an AI resort. We always bring money to tip everyone, but we noticed that a lot of people do not tip. For example, this is what we would typically leave for tips:
Drinks - $1/drink
Sit down dinner - $10

Can't people sign for tips instead of giving people cash? How are you sure they aren't tipping? Is there an opportunity to leave a tip for the staff at checkout?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

TheTimeLord wrote: Can't people sign for tips instead of giving people cash? How are you sure they aren't tipping? Is there an opportunity to leave a tip for the staff at checkout?
You can never be sure that the staff is actually getting the tips unless you hand it to them in cash.

Even businesses that give staff their tips that are charged to credit cards sometimes deduct a percentage to cover the merchant fees for use of the credit card.

This is true everywhere, including the U.S.

At an all-inclusive resort, you can still tip staff that is extra helpful. You don't have to do it every time they provide a service, you can do it before you leave with a genuine thank you.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Pajamas wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote: Can't people sign for tips instead of giving people cash? How are you sure they aren't tipping? Is there an opportunity to leave a tip for the staff at checkout?
You can never be sure that the staff is actually getting the tips unless you hand it to them in cash.

Even businesses that give staff their tips that are charged to credit cards sometimes deduct a percentage to cover the merchant fees for use of the credit card.

At an all-inclusive resort, you can still tip staff that is extra helpful. You don't have to do it every time they provide a service, you can do it before you leave with a genuine thank you.

Interesting. I have done a fair amount of cruising but don't remember ever actually going to an all inclusive resort.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

We've been to many all inclusives and we tip. However many people do not.
Our most recent experience was at an AI in Cuba. In that case, the tour guide suggested a tip the equivalent of $1 when the waiter brings a drink.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I don't know about the DR but I have heard in that in Mexico that the maids often do not get any pay and just work for the TIPs that they get. Even at an all inclusive I would still tip the maid.

calliecake47 wrote:Buffet Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner - $3-$5
Why would you tip at a buffet?

I never tip at a buffet unless there is something like I have a kid with me that makes a mess.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

I think it depends on the resort and the person. Most places I have been they are not expected but greatly appreciated. I have found that the higher priced resorts people do not tip as much or at all. The more reasonably priced resorts people were tipping much more. My general rule when going to an all inclusive resort outside the US is bring $100-125 in $1 bills. That will last a week and the hard working staff will take notice who you are. :sharebeer
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Watty wrote:I don't know about the DR but I have heard in that in Mexico that the maids often do not get any pay and just work for the TIPs that they get. Even at an all inclusive I would still tip the maid.

calliecake47 wrote:Buffet Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner - $3-$5
Why would you tip at a buffet?

I never tip at a buffet unless there is something like I have a kid with me that makes a mess.
We tipped at the buffet because the waitress brought you coffee, water and/or drinks and picked up your dirty plates. It isn't a buffet where you get your own drinks so they are bringing you wine or mixed drinks or whatever.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

No tipping allowed in Jamaica at Hedo or Couples resorts. Staff can lose job for accepting cash. Non-cash gifts are ok at Hedo and are somewhat common with repeat visitors...
Attempted new signature...
Bjtsven

Post by Bjtsven »

We TIP at the RIU a AI in the DR.

TIP the pool bartender on day 1 & & you will get 'prompt service' over others waiting in line. Just stand by the side of the bar.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Though, like I said above, we tipped, it didn't seem to help in some cases. The mixed drinks were very weak. We tipped the bartender well and they were still very weak (mostly- we befriended one bartender). We were not looking to get bombed or anything, but I'd rather have 3 drinks that are 25% alcohol/75% mixer than 10 drinks that are 10% alcohol/90% mixer. We wound up buying a bottle at the grocery store and "supplementing" our drinks by the pool. :D
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Bjtsven wrote:We TIP at the RIU a AI in the DR.

TIP the pool bartender on day 1 & & you will get 'prompt service' over others waiting in line. Just stand by the side of the bar.
Right.
This is one of the reasons tipping is a capital offense at the places in Jamaica I mentioned...
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Those employees make virtually nothing compared to what we all make. I tip at all inclusives. Bartenders, maid service, bell hops, the mini fridge guy, and a few bucks for service at each meal. I always get the feeling that it is very much appreciated. More than tips in the US are, that's for sure.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
dbr

Post by dbr »

What couold it possibly mean that tips would NOT be appreciated? I guess if there is a no-tip policy and tipping puts the employee at risk of losing his job that would be a problem. There are also no tipping cultures where the practice is said to be insulting. Otherwise the comment that tips are appreciated is hardly helpful to someone trying to figure out if not tipping is being a jerk or otherwise leaving the service staff under compensated. It is similar to the comment that one should tip "what you think it is worth" which is also not helpful.
Topic Author
calliecake47

Post by calliecake47 »

What do you typically leave at any hotel for the maid? I usually leave $3/day. Not sure if this is too low or about right?
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

calliecake47 wrote:What do you typically leave at any hotel for the maid? I usually leave $3/day. Not sure if this is too low or about right?
Last August, when I went to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, I tipped ten dollars a day for the maid.
Gordon
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

When we are in all-inclusives, and are not assigned personal butler, we spend about $60 in tips per 7 night trip. I actually take 60 $1 bills with me for that. Leave tips for maids, always at sit-down dinner, and occasionally to barman when they are doing more than simply throwning liquids together. I do give $5 tips but very rarely, for very special things, like if resort water instructor takes on catamaran ride and gives instruction, or if we break glass in the room at midnight and call housekeeping to come and clean it up.

If assigned personal butler and he/she is not slacking off (making reservations, bringing lunches to the beach, making inquries on our behalf, resolving any problems) I tip $40 at the end of the trip (two twenty-dollar bills), and since they nearly always work in teams of two, it becomes $80. I always tell the on day 1 that I will give a single large tip a the end if they do a good job. But we usually use them a lot, they usually give you a cell phone to be able to call them, and we call whenever we need something, so it is justified.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

calliecake47 wrote:My husband and I just came back from vacation in DR at an AI resort. We always bring money to tip everyone, but we noticed that a lot of people do not tip. For example, this is what we would typically leave for tips:
Drinks - $1/drink
Sit down dinner - $10

We followed he same schedule when we were at an all inclusive in Mexico two years ago. Plus the maid got $10/day or so
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

TxAg wrote:
Drinks - $1/drink
Sit down dinner - $10

We followed he same schedule when we were at an all inclusive in Mexico two years ago. Plus the maid got $10/day or so
$10 for dinner is really generous. If we're talking specifics $1 for drinks. I leave $2 or $3 for breakfast. Usually the same for lunch. And a $5 for dinner. I leave the mini fridge guy a buck or two if he loads me up with my favorite beer. The maid $3ish day more when my small child has made an egregious mess. The bellhop $5 cuz our bags are always crippling heavy. Anything >$0 is better than what many leave, so I don't think there's any sort of rule of thumb that needs to be followed. A lot of tourists at these places are euro, where tipping isn't really a thing. Also, a lot of Americans are sort of entitled jerks if you haven't noticed. Read TA reviews for Dominican resorts complaining that the staff didn't talk English good enough and you'll see what I mean.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
WL2034

Post by WL2034 »

JonnyDVM wrote: $10 for dinner is really generous. If we're talking specifics $1 for drinks. I leave $2 or $3 for breakfast. Usually the same for lunch. And a $5 for dinner. I leave the mini fridge guy a buck or two if he loads me up with my favorite beer. The maid $3ish day more when my small child has made an egregious mess. The bellhop $5 cuz our bags are always crippling heavy. Anything >$0 is better than what many leave, so I don't think there's any sort of rule of thumb that needs to be followed. A lot of tourists at these places are euro, where tipping isn't really a thing. Also, a lot of Americans are sort of entitled jerks if you haven't noticed. Read TA reviews for Dominican resorts complaining that the staff didn't talk English good enough and you'll see what I mean.
We tip similarly in Mexico at AI's, all the better if we can get pesos from the ATM so the staff doesn't have to exchange the money. Depending on the resort, a lot of the patrons may be European and/or Canadian, which I think has some effect on tipping customs. I've never been to an AI where the staff expected tips, but they definitely seem to appreciate the tips.

For me, it is probably a combination of the tipping culture I've lived in and feeling charitable. Bringing an extra $100 on a week long trip for tips affects us little financially. We just factor it into the cost of the trip. So if I'm enjoying my meals and drink service at the beach and pool, I like to show appreciation to the hard working staff. It seems like they all work 12+ hour days and 6 days / week, mostly in the heat.
wander

Post by wander »

I tip for quality service.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

DW and I frequent Sandals resorts in the Caribbean. At those resorts they go out of their way to make it known that tipping is not only unnecessary but in fact prohibited (their employees are not allowed to accept tips). That is only on the resort; third-party operators such as tour excursion drivers are not under this policy.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

TxAg wrote:
Drinks - $1/drink
Sit down dinner - $10

$10 a day tip for a maid in Mexico? If everyone gave her that she'd probably be making more than a doctor! :shock:
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

We were at an all inclusive in Costa Rica this last year. I saw a few people tip at the bar but that was it. No we don't tip. Barely ever carried money or wallet. That is the nice part about being at such a resort. If I felt the resort expected at all any tipping it would be the last time we went there. That would ruin the experience of all inclusive.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I tip. What is an extra 50 bucks over a 3-4 days to me? I will typically give a 10 to the bartender at the pool at the beginning and coast for several hours. I especially tip the servers that do the beach service. It looks extremely challenging to be trekking through the sand in pants and a long sleeve shirt in 90 degree heat
Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 »

poker27 wrote:I tip. What is an extra 50 bucks over a 3-4 days to me? I will typically give a 10 to the bartender at the pool at the beginning and coast for several hours. I especially tip the servers that do the beach service. It looks extremely challenging to be trekking through the sand in pants and a long sleeve shirt in 90 degree heat
I agree. I can't believe sometimes how cheap and stingy Bogleheads are. You're spending thousands of dollars on a trip and can't be bothered to tip a tiny fraction of your vacation cost to people working their butts off to make it a more pleasant experience?

We went to an all inclusive in Mexico (which I've always taken to mean inclusive of room, food, drink, and certain amenities) a couple of months ago. For five of us for 6 nights it cost around $7,700. We tipped the maid $20 for our 2 BR place for the 6 days, and regularly tipped the guy who brought us drinks and food at the pool probably around $35-40 for the week (was a few bucks each time he brought stuff). We also tipped some at the served meals but probably only totaled around 5% of the total bill each time.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Erwin007 wrote: I agree. I can't believe sometimes how cheap and stingy Bogleheads are. You're spending thousands of dollars on a trip and can't be bothered to tip a tiny fraction of your vacation cost to people working their butts off to make it a more pleasant experience?
You do understand the concept of RULES set by the management of certain AI resorts, am I correct?

Is tipping allowed at the resort?
Couples Resorts has a NO tipping policy because we believe that this is essential to a carefree, all-inclusive resort experience. This is one of our core policies and we do our best to control this at all four Couples resorts.

Find more here: http://couples.com/m/faq.
Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 »

The Wizard wrote:
Erwin007 wrote: I agree. I can't believe sometimes how cheap and stingy Bogleheads are. You're spending thousands of dollars on a trip and can't be bothered to tip a tiny fraction of your vacation cost to people working their butts off to make it a more pleasant experience?
You do understand the concept of RULES set by the management of certain AI resorts, am I correct?

Is tipping allowed at the resort?
Couples Resorts has a NO tipping policy because we believe that this is essential to a carefree, all-inclusive resort experience. This is one of our core policies and we do our best to control this at all four Couples resorts.

Find more here: http://couples.com/m/faq.
That's fine. Where did I ever say anything about disobeying rules at a tiny fraction of all inclusive resorts?
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Erwin007 wrote: That's fine. Where did I ever say anything about disobeying rules at a tiny fraction of all inclusive resorts?
I'm not sure how tiny a fraction it is but, nonetheless, I'm happier now...
:)
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Erwin007 wrote:
poker27 wrote:I tip. What is an extra 50 bucks over a 3-4 days to me? I will typically give a 10 to the bartender at the pool at the beginning and coast for several hours. I especially tip the servers that do the beach service. It looks extremely challenging to be trekking through the sand in pants and a long sleeve shirt in 90 degree heat
I agree. I can't believe sometimes how cheap and stingy Bogleheads are. You're spending thousands of dollars on a trip and can't be bothered to tip a tiny fraction of your vacation cost to people working their butts off to make it a more pleasant experience?

We went to an all inclusive in Mexico (which I've always taken to mean inclusive of room, food, drink, and certain amenities) a couple of months ago. For five of us for 6 nights it cost around $7,700. We tipped the maid $20 for our 2 BR place for the 6 days, and regularly tipped the guy who brought us drinks and food at the pool probably around $35-40 for the week (was a few bucks each time he brought stuff). We also tipped some at the served meals but probably only totaled around 5% of the total bill each time.
I agree. When I had less money I tipped appropriately out of obligation, but never cheated the service. Now, and it's not like I am filthy rich, I view it as helping out people that work hard for their money. I don't believe in over tipping for mediocre service, but if the service is good, I certainly don't mind tipping generously.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

Erwin007 wrote:

I. Certainly don't mind tipping at an AI, and we did at a Secrets in Baja. But, what a pain. I am in shorts and don't want to think about carrying cash. If you tip once, then you feel bad if you forget to tip the 2nd time. And thenit gets awkward. Do you tip when you ask for the drink? Or when they come back? Then how do you judge extra service? What is extra at an AI? Secrets wasn't cheap so I have to believe the cost of service is built in. And to your point, if it isn't, why not just charge an extra 10 or 20/ day and leave it at that?
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

I try to tip for beach service and maid service but I agree that one of the reasons I go to an AI (when I go) is to be free of money, not to be worrying about having singles and tipping etc. would never really occur to me to tip at meals.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I think the approach taken on most cruises now would help some of the issue brought up above. Typically they add a service charge per day to your bill at the end that goes to the people that wait on you in the restaurants and clean your room.

I don't think it is that big of a hassle to bring a bunch of singles and carry them in your pocket though.
sadie wess

Post by sadie wess »

JonnyDVM wrote:Those employees make virtually nothing compared to what we all make. I tip at all inclusives. Bartenders, maid service, bell hops, the mini fridge guy, and a few bucks for service at each meal. I always get the feeling that it is very much appreciated. More than tips in the US are, that's for sure.
+1
BanditKing

Post by BanditKing »

Having not been to any Caribbean / Mexico AIs, are you tipping in US Dollars, or converting to local currency. I'd think US Dollars would add a hassle-factor for the service people.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

oldcomputerguy wrote:DW and I frequent Sandals resorts in the Caribbean. At those resorts they go out of their way to make it known that tipping is not only unnecessary but in fact prohibited (their employees are not allowed to accept tips). That is only on the resort; third-party operators such as tour excursion drivers are not under this policy.
We haven't been to a Sandals since having our son (hopefully will be able to get to one for our 15 year anniversary), but went frequently in the first few years, including our honeymoon. In general, I respected the no-tipping policy. But at one resort our housekeeper was amazing, and she was getting married to one of the hosts a few weeks later, who had also gone above and beyond for us. So as we were headed to check out, I pulled her aside where no one could see, palmed her a 50 or 100 (no longer remember which), gave her a big smile, a hearty thank-you and congratulations. Her Fiancee stopped us on the way out and thanked us, so we got to thank and wish him well also.

If I was smart, I would have told her it was a wedding gift, not a tip. :D But I'm pretty sure that didn't happen.
Watty

Post by Watty »

BanditKing wrote:Having not been to any Caribbean / Mexico AIs, are you tipping in US Dollars, or converting to local currency. I'd think US Dollars would add a hassle-factor for the service people.
+1

I was thinking that too. To me intentionally using dollars on anything when you are in a foreign country seems odd and an "ugly american" thing to do.

When the staff converts small amounts of dollars to the local currency they likely lose a significant percent of the purchasing power too.
Last edited by Watty on Mon May 15, 2017 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Watty wrote:
BanditKing wrote:Having not been to any Caribbean / Mexico AIs, are you tipping in US Dollars, or converting to local currency. I'd think US Dollars would add a hassle-factor for the service people.
+1

I was thinking that too. To me intentionally using dollars or anything when you are in a foreign country seems odd and an "ugly american" thing to do...
Wrong, as it turns out.
Mexico and Jamaica, at least, prefer US dollars.
And when you scuba dive in Mexico, things are priced not in Pesos, but in USD. Same for all tourist excursions away from the AI resorts in Jamaica.

And seven years ago, Bonaire switched their official currency from the Netherlands Antilles Florin to.........the USD...
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

Erwin007 wrote:I agree. I can't believe sometimes how cheap and stingy Bogleheads are. You're spending thousands of dollars on a trip and can't be bothered to tip a tiny fraction of your vacation cost to people working their butts off to make it a more pleasant experience?
In the US, I tip 15-20% most of the time. A little more for outstanding service and a little less for lousy service.

That being said, my boss is an over tipper. He likes to give $20 on a $40 meal. He said he like to do this since they don't make much. I personally disagree. Servers are one of the highest paid in the service industry. If you really want to help, give some money to the dishwashers coming in the back door or the person cleaning the warehouse at your grocery store. The cashier at the local convenience store, etc.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Drinks - $1/drink
Sit down dinner - $10

We have been to AIs in the DR about 4 times. The brochures for the places we have stayed (4 different resorts) say tipping is included and no tips are required. Like many others, we take American dollars to tip certain employees like maids (usually do not tip them in USA), certain servers and bar tenders. It is completely optional. It is a very poor country, the employees work hard and are appreciative. Why not when we have so much and they have so little? As far as amounts, we don't have any defined amounts, and sometimes we don't have money with us and don't tip.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

TheTimeLord wrote:
Drinks - $1/drink
Sit down dinner - $10

Can't people sign for tips instead of giving people cash? How are you sure they aren't tipping? Is there an opportunity to leave a tip for the staff at checkout?
No provisions at DR AI resorts for signing for tips. Just American greenbacks! Many people don't tip. It is optional. Not expected or required.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

No hassle factor, I assure you. Everyone loves the American dollar.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

yatesd wrote:
Erwin007 wrote:I agree. I can't believe sometimes how cheap and stingy Bogleheads are. You're spending thousands of dollars on a trip and can't be bothered to tip a tiny fraction of your vacation cost to people working their butts off to make it a more pleasant experience?
In the US, I tip 15-20% most of the time. A little more for outstanding service and a little less for lousy service.

That being said, my boss is an over tipper. He likes to give $20 on a $40 meal. He said he like to do this since they don't make much. I personally disagree. Servers are one of the highest paid in the service industry. If you really want to help, give some money to the dishwashers coming in the back door or the person cleaning the warehouse at your grocery store. The cashier at the local convenience store, etc.
I'm not sure what this has to do with AI resorts in the Caribbean...
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

The Wizard wrote:
Watty wrote:
+1

I was thinking that too. To me intentionally using dollars or anything when you are in a foreign country seems odd and an "ugly american" thing to do...
Wrong, as it turns out.
Mexico and Jamaica, at least, prefer US dollars.
And when you scuba dive in Mexico, things are priced not in Pesos, but in USD. Same for all tourist excursions away from the AI resorts in Jamaica.

And seven years ago, Bonaire switched their official currency from the Netherlands Antilles Florin to.........the USD...
In the tourist parts of Mexico, dollars are accepted just about everywhere and are easily and cheaply converted. Also, the US dollar is much more stable than the peso. The peso has been between 2 and 20 per dollar in the 25 years I've been going to Mexico. People in countries with unstable currencies that have the means typically hold dollars. Of course, these workers are most likely spending the tip for their normal expenses.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

michaeljc70 wrote:
In the tourist parts of Mexico, dollars are accepted just about everywhere and are easily and cheaply converted. Also, the US dollar is much more stable than the peso. The peso has been between 2 and 20 per dollar in the 25 years I've been going to Mexico. People in countries with unstable currencies that have the means typically hold dollars. Of course, these workers are most likely spending the tip for their normal expenses.
Indeed.
My last trip to Cozumel (not at an AI) the peso had been dropping in value.
Prices at bars, restaurants, and stores are posted in both pesos and dollars. So depending on how outdated the pricelist was, paying in pesos was a better deal...
atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 »

Pajamas wrote:

This is not at all a uniform law in all countries or states in the US. In California, Maine and Massachusetts it is expressly illegal to withhold credit card processing fees from tips. In Colorado businesses lose a tax credit if they deduct the fees from the tips.

Minnesota, New York, Vermont, North Carolina and Utah specifically allow fees to be deducted from tips.

Everywhere else is just unclear as to the law.

https://www.cardfellow.com/employers-de ... from-tips/
Last edited by atomicrc11 on Mon May 15, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

atomicrc11 wrote:
Pajamas wrote:

This is not at all a uniform law in all countries or states in the US. In California, Colorado and Massachusetts it is expressly illegal to withhold credit card processing fees from tips.
Yes, I was referring to the first sentence with the third sentence and added the second sentence afterwards. I did say "sometimes deduct a percentage." Let me reorder it:

Many times the laws are not followed and in those states where it is illegal to withhold the fees, they may be withheld anyway on occasion. It is also true that even when you give a cash tip, the tip can still be taken by the owner. That has been a problem with nail salons and some restaurants in NYC, not sure about elsewhere. Usually there are other abuses such as wage theft along with tip-stealing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/nyre ... ected.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/14/opinion/14zagat.html
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

I tip at all-inclusive resorts. I feel like I get incredible service, and whether or not it's because I tip, I won't miss the $100 I spend on tips.