Tipping at All Inclusive Resort?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
2Birds1Stone

Re: Tipping at All Inclusive Resort?

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Mon May 15, 2017 10:24 am

calliecake47 wrote:My husband and I just came back from vacation in DR at an AI resort. We always bring money to tip everyone, but we noticed that a lot of people do not tip. For example, this is what we would typically leave for tips:
Drinks - $1/drink
Buffet Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner - $3-$5
Sit down dinner - $10

Just curious what other people do?

That is right in line with what my SO and I tip at a resort.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon May 15, 2017 10:31 am

You can read through 50+ pages of replies on this 'controversial' topic at trip advisor and other sites.
Here is a link to one....

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g ... ublic.html

And this is a cut and paste from that link by a middle of the road type of reply...

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews

Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at all-inclusive resorts?

Oct 06, 2013, 10:32 AM
Completely a personal decision as mentioned. If it helps at all, the following seems to be "norm" and/or how we tipped - of course, everyone does as they are comfortable with, so certainly nothing is ever written in stone when it comes to this topic:

$1-2 -- Baggage handler at airport (should you choose to make use of their services to get your luggage and take you to your transfer - same on departure)
$5 -- transport driver (drop off and return - resort an hour from airport)
$2 -- porter at resort
$2-$3 -- buffet dining
$5 -- a la carte dining
$3-$5 -- daily for housekeeper
$2-$5 -- daily for fridge restocking (not always same person as housekeeper)
$1-$2 -- every second round of drinks (some people choose to tip a larger lump sum after being at bar/beach/pool for any given period of time in a day/evening - we went this route)
$5-$10 -- spa treatments

We also chose to tip:
-- the young man ($2 once) who carted the beach lounger cushions back and forth every day and evening.
-- the young man who climbed a tree outside our room to bring us two fresh coconuts one day ($1)
-- the older gentleman who tirelessly raked the beach twice a day ($2 twice)
-- taxi driver on shopping trip ($3 each way - short distance)
-- private excursion driver ($10 for both ways, about an hour trip each way)
-- crew on private excursion ($20)

Everyone is different - do whatever you are comfortable with and enjoy your trip! The Dominican people are some of the most hardworking, genuinely kind and friendly people I've ever met - a smile, "gracias" and going armed with a little Spanish is very appreciated, and a wonderful way to demonstrate respect and appreciation :D

markcoop

Post by markcoop » Mon May 15, 2017 10:41 am

I'm actually shocked at how many people on this thread say they tip at an AI. This has nothing to do with being cheap and everything to do with the kind of vacation I'm looking to have. I do an AI specifically for the reason of putting my wallet away for a week. I believe I always took the words all-inclusive to mean all-inclusive. I do tip the maid, although I have always wondered if that was even necessary. I imagine it depends on the resort. I have usually gone to resorts in Mexico that cost about $1,500/person for the week.
Mark

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon May 15, 2017 10:50 am

markcoop wrote:I'm actually shocked at how many people on this thread say they tip at an AI. This has nothing to do with being cheap and everything to do with the kind of vacation I'm looking to have. I do an AI specifically for the reason of putting my wallet away for a week...
Right.
Apparently there is some variation among AI resorts, with the ones in the DR not discouraging tipping while some of the better ones in Jamaica outlaw it.
Best to understand the rules and custom at the place you're going to ahead of time.
Additionally, some resorts in the areas​ mentioned are clothing optional in which case carrying a wallet is problematic...
Attempted new signature...

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Mon May 15, 2017 4:21 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:Though, like I said above, we tipped, it didn't seem to help in some cases. The mixed drinks were very weak. We tipped the bartender well and they were still very weak (mostly- we befriended one bartender). We were not looking to get bombed or anything, but I'd rather have 3 drinks that are 25% alcohol/75% mixer than 10 drinks that are 10% alcohol/90% mixer. We wound up buying a bottle at the grocery store and "supplementing" our drinks by the pool. :D
Why not just order a double if they're weak?

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:29 pm

sharpjm wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:Though, like I said above, we tipped, it didn't seem to help in some cases. The mixed drinks were very weak. We tipped the bartender well and they were still very weak (mostly- we befriended one bartender). We were not looking to get bombed or anything, but I'd rather have 3 drinks that are 25% alcohol/75% mixer than 10 drinks that are 10% alcohol/90% mixer. We wound up buying a bottle at the grocery store and "supplementing" our drinks by the pool. :D
Why not just order a double if they're weak?
They wouldn't do that at this resort. I suppose I could have ordered a tequila whatever and a shot of tequila and just combined them. A pretty good bottle of tequila was very cheap though so I mostly ordered just mixers and put exactly how much I wanted with little hassle (poured the bottle into a plastic bottle and kept in beach bag). The tequila I bought was better than what they were serving. They didn't not have close to top shelf liquor at the resort.

McCharley

Post by McCharley » Mon May 15, 2017 10:17 pm

One trick for tipping on vacations when you know you will be tipping a lot (like cruises) is to get a bunch of $2 bills ahead of time. (I had to preorder these at a main branch of my bank, as I recall.) People love $2 bills! :happy

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu May 18, 2017 7:27 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
TxAg wrote:
calliecake47 wrote:My husband and I just came back from vacation in DR at an AI resort. We always bring money to tip everyone, but we noticed that a lot of people do not tip. For example, this is what we would typically leave for tips:
Drinks - $1/drink
Sit down dinner - $10

We followed he same schedule when we were at an all inclusive in Mexico two years ago. Plus the maid got $10/day or so
$10 a day tip for a maid in Mexico? If everyone gave her that she'd probably be making more than a doctor! :shock:

Meh...I'm never there for more than 3 nights. Plus, my grandparents on one side are immigrants. Life can be tough down there.

calliecake47

Post by calliecake47 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:43 am

McCharley wrote:One trick for tipping on vacations when you know you will be tipping a lot (like cruises) is to get a bunch of $2 bills ahead of time. (I had to preorder these at a main branch of my bank, as I recall.) People love $2 bills! :happy
I know! I still have my $2 bills from when I waitressed 30 years ago! lol

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu May 18, 2017 12:56 pm

Drinks - $1/drink
Sit down dinner - $10

I tip and quite well.

$1-2 for each round delivered ( I drink a lot on these type of vacations ) so they're getting at least $10/day from me.
I usually tip the Bartender at the pool $10 on day 1 and then again on the last day he works while I'm there.
$2-3 for each meal maybe more if service is great.
$1/day for morning maid
$1/day evening maid
$10 to the beach/pool towel guy/gal on day 1 and one his/her last day of the week.
$20 to the entertainment coordinator at end of week

All in cost < $200/week

Benefits
1. Guess who never has to say "where the heck is that pool/beach server"
2. Guess who the bartender serves first if two hit the bar at the same time?
3. Guess who the waiter at breakfast sees first?
4. Guess who doesn't have to get up early to get the best chairs at the pool/beach? I can't stand sitting in sun but wife loves it even with an umbrella that's not so easy to accommodate.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu May 18, 2017 12:57 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Drinks - $1/drink
Sit down dinner - $10

Can't people sign for tips instead of giving people cash? How are you sure they aren't tipping? Is there an opportunity to leave a tip for the staff at checkout?
It's all inclusive. No one signs for anything unless you buy premium wine.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu May 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Watty wrote:I don't know about the DR but I have heard in that in Mexico that the maids often do not get any pay and just work for the TIPs that they get. Even at an all inclusive I would still tip the maid.

calliecake47 wrote:Buffet Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner - $3-$5
Why would you tip at a buffet?

I never tip at a buffet unless there is something like I have a kid with me that makes a mess.
Who brings your drinks?

jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke » Thu May 18, 2017 1:14 pm

If the AI says that tips are included, I'll tip bartenders/waiters/waitresses IF it's busy and I'd prefer faster service. Beyond that, to me, all inclusive is all inclusive.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu May 18, 2017 1:43 pm

WL2034 wrote:
JonnyDVM wrote: $10 for dinner is really generous. If we're talking specifics $1 for drinks. I leave $2 or $3 for breakfast. Usually the same for lunch. And a $5 for dinner. I leave the mini fridge guy a buck or two if he loads me up with my favorite beer. The maid $3ish day more when my small child has made an egregious mess. The bellhop $5 cuz our bags are always crippling heavy. Anything >$0 is better than what many leave, so I don't think there's any sort of rule of thumb that needs to be followed. A lot of tourists at these places are euro, where tipping isn't really a thing. Also, a lot of Americans are sort of entitled jerks if you haven't noticed. Read TA reviews for Dominican resorts complaining that the staff didn't talk English good enough and you'll see what I mean.
We tip similarly in Mexico at AI's, all the better if we can get pesos from the ATM so the staff doesn't have to exchange the money. Depending on the resort, a lot of the patrons may be European and/or Canadian, which I think has some effect on tipping customs. I've never been to an AI where the staff expected tips, but they definitely seem to appreciate the tips.

As far as the staff has told me they prefer $ over peso's same goes for Jamaican's

crit

Post by crit » Thu May 18, 2017 1:57 pm

wfrobinette wrote: I tip and quite well. .... All in cost < $200/week

Benefits
1. Guess who never has to say "where the heck is that pool/beach server"
2. Guess who the bartender serves first if two hit the bar at the same time?
3. Guess who the waiter at breakfast sees first?
4. Guess who doesn't have to get up early to get the best chairs at the pool/beach? I can't stand sitting in sun but wife loves it even with an umbrella that's not so easy to accommodate.
This is honestly so frustrating. One of the reasons for an all-inclusive resort is to get away from the dog-eat-dog competition to pull out money to get a respectable level of service, let along "feel special". I find tipping every last person difficult and awkward, and I want to get away from that on vacation.

I fully understand and agree that life is hard in underdeveloped countries, and I want to compensate people fairly. $200 is not much, nor is any given tip, of course, why make such a fuss over a few bucks, you say? Because that is all supposed to be included and already paid-for in an all-inclusive resort, and I want to relax and not worry over whether I've handled every interaction "graciously" (greasedly). I want to say please and thank you, and be done.

For people who tip on top of that -- do you understand that by resetting the standard to all-inclusive AND tips, you're making life (and vacations) worse for everyone else?

yatesd

Post by yatesd » Thu May 18, 2017 8:08 pm

The Wizard wrote:
yatesd wrote:
Erwin007 wrote:I agree. I can't believe sometimes how cheap and stingy Bogleheads are. You're spending thousands of dollars on a trip and can't be bothered to tip a tiny fraction of your vacation cost to people working their butts off to make it a more pleasant experience?
In the US, I tip 15-20% most of the time. A little more for outstanding service and a little less for lousy service.

That being said, my boss is an over tipper. He likes to give $20 on a $40 meal. He said he like to do this since they don't make much. I personally disagree. Servers are one of the highest paid in the service industry. If you really want to help, give some money to the dishwashers coming in the back door or the person cleaning the warehouse at your grocery store. The cashier at the local convenience store, etc.
I'm not sure what this has to do with AI resorts in the Caribbean...
OK, I guess you didn't read any of the comments on people justifying tips because these people are poor or underpaid. :oops:

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu May 18, 2017 8:18 pm

yatesd wrote: OK, I guess you didn't read any of the comments on people justifying tips because these people are poor or underpaid. :oops:
Ok, let's pretend I didn't.
Nonetheless, you'd have to focus on the standard of living in Jamaica or Mexico, the two AI countries I've dealt with.
I assume they are getting paid ok for that area or they would take a different job.
It's not good to presume US standards for people in foreign countries...
Attempted new signature...

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu May 18, 2017 8:20 pm

I removed an off-topic post (rant). This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted, no added value to continue). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.