How much to tip movers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nate79

Re: How much to tip movers?

Post by Nate79 »

I do not understand why you would tip someone for doing the job that they bid on. I would not tip.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

stoptothink wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 7:12 am
mister_sparkle wrote:I have a lot of heavy stuff like books, records, CDs, etc., so I error on the side of tipping super generously -- $120 to $150 per guy for a 4-hour move.
That is more than most professionals in this country make total, just in tips, for moving books, records, and CDs? I've moved couches and even pianos up flights of stairs, on several occasions, for free. True story, yesterday I was stopped in my neighborhood by someone I don't know on my walk home from work to help move a refrigerator to a 3rd story condo...I did get a firm handshake. I am a fairly highly paid professional, but please contact me next time you plan to move. I am young, very capable of moving large appliances or furniture (up stairs, often on my own), and $30-$40/hr is less than I make in my day job, but well worth it to me considering as a younger male in my church, I spend quite a bit of time (at least a few hours every month) moving people in and out of my congregation borders and have never received a thing, but maybe a cold glass of water.
+1.

I would definitely be eager to move stuff for $30-$40/hour. :moneybag
raamakoti wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:14 pmI always gave $100 tip because it is hard for us to imagine what they go through to pull something like that off day in day out. I see their eyes lit up after receiving and they shake hands and wish good luck.
To be honest, my eyes would also light up if someone gave me a $100 tip for doing my job. :wink:
raamakoti wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:14 pmI always give big tip for work that I could not do it myself.
Do you give big tips to your doctor, dentist, airline pilot, lawyer, etc.? They do a job most people aren't able to do.
raamakoti wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:14 pmBe generous at giving for honest people who break their backs, don't try to put a price tag. You both will feel happy at the end. $20 bucks here and there is no big deal, unless ofcourse that is a big deal.
Back when I delivered newspapers as a kid I would've loved to have people like you on my route. Even if each customer only tipped me $1 once a year, that still would've been about an extra paycheck for me.
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

Former mover here. Worked for a two men/1 truck operation that did mostly local, single day moves, charged at an hourly rate, so I cannot comment on the larger operations.

Any tip was highly appreciated. As the movers, we did not decide what jobs to accept or how long the customer was told the move would take. We would usually just show up in the morning and collect a job sheet with our work for the day. Could be one two-hour move, could be a 17 hour marathon. It was very, very common to show up and have the move take 1.5-2X the estimate because our office staff screwed something up or the homeowner "forgot" the fully furnished basement/garage/you-name-it. Pro-tip: when you are obtaining the estimate, overshare what exactly will be moved, even if the estimator is not particularly curious. It will be better for you and the moving crew if they know exactly how many dressers, beds, couches, boxes, etc. will need to be moved. Don't skip on the little stuff, as that can sometimes be much more time consuming than the big items.

Depending on the difficulty of the move, $20/per was always much appreciated, $40-50 was considered a great day, and I can still remember the handful of times we cleared $100+. If your mover bills hourly, and you plan on providing a nice tip, nothing wrong with mentioning it up front. It gets the whole awkward conversation of is there/ isn't there going to be a tip out of the way, and can provide some nice motivation to the movers to speed things up, if possible. I had one customer offer up to $150 at the start of a particularly large move if it was fast and professionally performed and I am guessing we shaved at least that much off the bill by hustling to earn it.

I've moved twice since my professional moving days. A couple $100 is a little easier to come by now than it was then. As I can still remember just how much that $100 meant to me then, I've tipped ~$100 per mover each time.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

mickeyd wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 5:30 pm I have moved a half-dozen times and don't recall if I ever tipped on any of those moves. I probably have one more move in me. Should I tip before, after or both ends for my next move?
If it is and in-town move, you will likely have the same crew on both ends, so just at the end. If it is out of town, you will likely have different workers for loading and unloading, so tip each crew separately.

Ralph
sketchy9

Post by sketchy9 »

What's stopping the owners from charging more to pay the movers more? How did it suddenly become the customer's job to make up for poor wages? If you hired a company to paint your house would you tip the workers? Why or why not? What's the difference?
woof755

Post by woof755 »

I'm pro tipping.
Sure, you paid for the job to be done. But, a move is a very personal experience. These people come into your house. Chances are, you're getting to know them a little bit, joking around. And sorta awkwardly telling them what to do and where to put stuff. Usually there's "could you put that together? The other guys took it apart" or something along those lines that has these guys and gals doing more than they expected.

We feed them lunch and dinner if they're still around. First time we moved into a rental here, we had these giant Samoan dudes take a dip in the pool at the end of a long day. I have always tipped $20. Having read the above post from a former mover, next time we'll tip higher.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
Breakaway72

Post by Breakaway72 »

Recently moved from Maryland to Florida. About 12,000 pounds. Went with a big name national moving company. The packing/loading crew in Maryland were full time, year round employees of the local agent. They did a super job and we tipped each of them $40. They were extremely grateful and mentioned that tips were not as common now as they once were.

The van driver was an owner/operator. I am usually quite sympathetic toward the plight of the owner/operators because the van lines treat them like fecal matter. Typically husband and wife teams, they work hard and lead a tough life...certainly tougher than my life. If they can go out and have a nice dinner (Texas Roadhouse instead of Taco Bell?) because of my tip, then I feel good.

The guys who unloaded in Florida are day workers who are on the local affiliate's list for the owner/operators to hire as they see fit. These guys were also super and we tipped them $50 each. Again, extremely grateful.

Do we tip trash men, lawn workers, delivery people, etc? If they do a good job, have a good attitude and have made my day just a little better or easier because of their work, then yes. Do I feel an obligation to tip? No.

We may live in an $800k house with no mortgage, $2M in the 401k and a nice stock portfolio, but we do remember where we came from. We remember our childhoods and "poor starving college student" days and how good it felt when someone gave us a few extra dollars. We rather enjoy making someone's day a little better. I may be a free market capitalist with a degree in economics, but I do have a sense of compassion for which I make no apologies.
squirm

Post by squirm »

give them 30-40 a piece....moving is hard work, I wouldn't want to do it. I tipped some guys who dropped off furniture 20 a piece...they were over worked. and hadn't eaten.my wife also warmed up some pizza slices for them.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

$20 per head is probably the most I would give but I live in a 600 sqft apartment so there really isn't that much stuff. I also always give refreshments.

I suppose if I had a 3000 sqft house and they were moving 4 bedroom sets, multiple couches, dining room set, plus appliances I would give more.
Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet »

We moved last winter from the city to the suburbs.

I tipped the 3 person crew $100 each.

I had just spend a few hundred thousand on a house why not make someone's holiday?
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

mortfree wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:25 am thoughts on the tip for this situation?
Why not ask the movers directly before they arrive? I have done this and always found them to be honest and forthright with useful information to guide me in determining "how much".
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

lthenderson wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:40 am Why not ask the movers directly before they arrive? I have done this and always found them to be honest and forthright with useful information to guide me in determining "how much".
Isn't that like asking your barber whether you need a haircut or not? :P
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

I'm super cheap (like many on here :D ), but the ONLY area I tip well is on manual labor. They don't make much, work HARD physical hours, easily disposable/ replaceable, and have a short life span due to the physical grind of the job. If the cost was $350 I would tip $50-70.

Just my 2 cents in regards to labor intensive jobs like heavy moving.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
squirm

Post by squirm »

staythecourse wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:54 am I'm super cheap (like many on here :D ), but the ONLY area I tip well is on manual labor. They don't make much, work HARD physical hours, easily disposable/ replaceable, and have a short life span due to the physical grind of the job. If the cost was $350 I would tip $50-70.

Just my 2 cents in regards to labor intensive jobs like heavy moving.

Good luck.
Exactly....maybe there's others here that never did manual labor in their life, but I did and can very much appreciate the work they do...that's why I pay my guys well for the manual labor they do.
gretah

Post by gretah »

I've always tipped movers well and fed them hearty lunches and snacks.

Then after I have unpacked, I discover what they have stolen. Power tools are the most popular items. (Can't tell you how may power drills I have lost this way.)

The thing that angered me the most was my expensive CuisinArt food processor with all attachments & blades: approx $500 to replace.

Thank goodness I always move my own jewelry, fine art, computer, and camera equipment.

These moves have been from one state or region to another so it's hard to track down responsible parties.

I still don't know how to resolve this problem.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

gretah wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:58 pm I've always tipped movers well and fed them hearty lunches and snacks.

Then after I have unpacked, I discover what they have stolen. Power tools are the most popular items. (Can't tell you how may power drills I have lost this way.)

The thing that angered me the most was my expensive CuisinArt food processor with all attachments & blades: approx $500 to replace.

Thank goodness I always move my own jewelry, fine art, computer, and camera equipment.

These moves have been from one state or region to another so it's hard to track down responsible parties.

I still don't know how to resolve this problem.
I have never used movers and I don't like to make baseless claims, but the last two family members that I helped unpack had serious issues with this and will never hire movers again.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

I'm also in the pro-tipping crowd.

I also think if they're working with you all day you should additionally provide drinks and lunch.

It's a tough job, that's why you're paying someone to do it - you don't want to. You're also in a financial situation where you can hire movers, I feel as though it's the right thing to do.
raamakoti

Post by raamakoti »

sketchy9 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:31 pm What's stopping the owners from charging more to pay the movers more? How did it suddenly become the customer's job to make up for poor wages? If you hired a company to paint your house would you tip the workers? Why or why not? What's the difference?
I did tip the painters, Plumbers, Furnace installers and house cleaners, pizza delivery guys. Tip varies but I do give money to appreciate their work. When I was working at a gas station earning $7 bucks an hour. I know how hard life is to get by with those wages. Now I have decent net worth does not mean I should become a jerk.
I wish someone tipped me when I was a graduate student working in gas stations. But I never worried, their were few people who fed me good meal once a week so that I did not miss my home. Kind people are always kind, and their kindness is contagious
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

If they go above and beyond normal, I might tip $10 each. The best tip is to get hired again or a referral.
lynneny

Post by lynneny »

I've never had issues with movers stealing anything, but then I don't have any power tools. I guess most movers don't covet designer shoes.

I tip moving guys $50 per person.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I don’t know if anything was stolen but I have not found my China set I bought from London almost 30 years ago.
sketchy9

Post by sketchy9 »

raamakoti wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:56 pm
sketchy9 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:31 pm What's stopping the owners from charging more to pay the movers more? How did it suddenly become the customer's job to make up for poor wages? If you hired a company to paint your house would you tip the workers? Why or why not? What's the difference?
I did tip the painters, Plumbers, Furnace installers and house cleaners, pizza delivery guys. Tip varies but I do give money to appreciate their work. When I was working at a gas station earning $7 bucks an hour. I know how hard life is to get by with those wages. Now I have decent net worth does not mean I should become a jerk.
I wish someone tipped me when I was a graduate student working in gas stations. But I never worried, their were few people who fed me good meal once a week so that I did not miss my home. Kind people are always kind, and their kindness is contagious
We will just have to agree to disagree on this I guess. I hardly see paying the agreed-upon price as being a "jerk". Quite the opposite, actually. I feel that people thinking they should be able to guilt me into paying more than I signed up for is pretty jerk-ish behavior.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Jackson12 wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 6:28 am We are using small independent movers. The cost will be $350 and that is an extremely competitive price.Assuming they do a great job, what is a fair tip?

I know what typical rates are in restaurants, house cleaners, barbers and hairdressers etc. But is there a special guideline for the amount to tip movers? They will be hauling quite a few heavy items.
Jackson12:

I remember going out to eat when we were trying to raise three children. It was a strain to tip 10%.

Now that our children are grown and I enjoy a comfortable income from my portfolio (thanks Jack), I always tip 20% or more where a tip is suggested. It always makes me feel good to make life a little easier for those who are working hard on modest incomes -- and there is no middle-man. This is my prime charity.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "My only regret about money is that I don't have more to give away."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:14 pm
Jackson12 wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 6:28 am We are using small independent movers. The cost will be $350 and that is an extremely competitive price.Assuming they do a great job, what is a fair tip?

I know what typical rates are in restaurants, house cleaners, barbers and hairdressers etc. But is there a special guideline for the amount to tip movers? They will be hauling quite a few heavy items.
Jackson12:

I remember going out to eat when we were trying to raise three children. It was a strain to tip 10%.

Now that our children are grown and I enjoy a comfortable income from my portfolio (thanks Jack), I always tip 20% or more where a tip is suggested. It always makes me feel good to make life a little easier for those who are working hard on modest incomes -- and there is no middle-man. This is my prime charity.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "My only regret about money is that I don't have more to give away."
Me, too. My daughter was a server and has encouraged me to tip generously when the server has given great service. I remember once when she received a $100 tip! It was a very big help to her financially, and it was a huge encouragement to her.
IMO

Post by IMO »

This is a 2017 post that doesn't seem to have been bumped for new input.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

Not an exact example but I had kitchen cabinets delivered to my house. The truck driver only drove the tractor trailer and was not responsible for unloading. He was a little chatty for my taste. My father and I were unloading everything ourselves and he just stood there talking and talking, which was fine, for a while.

It took us some time and the driver started talking about how great the last guys were that he delivered to since they had 6 workers and a special dolly etc. and they unloaded much faster than us blah blah blah blah. The best thing, he made sure to tell me, was how the last guys gave him a nice $20 dollar tip. Up until this point, I was considering throwing him $10 bucks but didn't appreciate the not so subtle suggestion that I should tip him so I gave him nothing. He hung around for a while too assuming I was going to give him something, which really annoyed me and reinforced that I had made the right decision in not tipping him.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

I had 2 moves earlier this year...I made a lot of game day decisions that both teams handled to my satisfaction- This to the house, this to Goodwill...wait, that to GW too.
I tipped $20 per guy, including the guy with the clipboard and I bought them lunch...and boy, they ate big!
I was a summer temp mover in college... I'd get tips on maybe 1/3 to half of my assignments, but that was a century ago.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

As others have said, it's not all about money. Providing them with meals is really helpful and appreciated. It doesn't have to be anything special. Donuts and coffee/juice for breakfast. Sandwich, chips, fruit, and iced tea for lunch. Cookies in the afternoon. Moving is very physically demanding, so it's good for them to refuel their bodies during the day.

After the move, I would tip $40 if they did a good job and acted with courtesy. $20 if there wasn't a ton of stuff to pack and move.

It's a hard job, and there is little security and longevity because of the huge risk of injuries.