Cheapest voice only, low minutes cell service

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Cheapest voice only, low minutes cell service

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri May 12, 2017 8:30 pm

I'm working on spending less screen time and more time outdoors and quality time with family and friends. I'd like to not always have my iphone on hand, but would like a dumb phone in case my wife needs to reach me. I anticipate using it maybe 15 minutes a month. Any recommendations for a very cheap voice only plan and phone?

whomever

Re: Cheapest voice only, low minutes cell service

Post by whomever » Fri May 12, 2017 8:51 pm

FWIW, I have an H2O Wireless prepaid plan. With the auto-quarterly-recharge discount it's $9 for 90 days, or just over $36 a year.

I forget how much texts and time are, because I never use the $9. Maybe 5 cents per text or minute??

For the cheapest phone, I'd ask friends to dig their old flip phones out of the back of the junk drawer :-)

jjface

Post by jjface » Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 pm

1. If sprint coverage is okay for you then you cannot beat Tello. 3c a minute. No minimum top up required every x days. Load $10 credit to start and then it will never expire if you call/text once every 6 months.

15 mins a month = 45 cents a month = $5.40 a year!

They sell a flip phone if you need one for $29.

Beat that!

2. Well maybe I can. You say you need it for your wife to reach you. Truphone has a sim that runs off ATT. It costs a one off $30 but you get $15 calling credit to start https://www.truphone.com/us/consumer/sim/

Incoming calls are free! So it could cost you nothing after that. Credit does not expire and no minimum amount needed to be loaded each x days. 9c a min to call out = $16.20 a year at 15 mins a month but remember incoming calls are free. Just get a cheap att flipphone to use it.

H20 is decent too as mentioned above. Also runs off ATT

3. Tmobile prepaid $3 a month for 30 mins.

4. Expomobile $10 every 90 days. Verizon! 2c a min

So that is one for each of the big networks.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat May 13, 2017 8:33 am

I second Tello. No personal experience with them, but it is the Sprint Network and they have cheap low-use plans.

If you want the Verizon Network, give PagePlus a try. You can buy their prepaid cards, I believe they expire in 5 months. My wife used them in the past, zero issues.

CABob

Post by CABob » Sat May 13, 2017 11:08 am

Consider Page Plus Cellular. They use the Verizon network and have a pay-as-you-go plan for $10 for 4 months. this is for 3G phones only.
Bob

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat May 13, 2017 12:14 pm

jjface wrote:1. If sprint coverage is okay for you then you cannot beat Tello. 3c a minute. No minimum top up required every x days. Load $10 credit to start and then it will never expire if you call/text once every 6 months.

15 mins a month = 45 cents a month = $5.40 a year!

They sell a flip phone if you need one for $29.

Beat that!

2. Well maybe I can. You say you need it for your wife to reach you. Truphone has a sim that runs off ATT. It costs a one off $30 but you get $15 calling credit to start https://www.truphone.com/us/consumer/sim/

Incoming calls are free! So it could cost you nothing after that. Credit does not expire and no minimum amount needed to be loaded each x days. 9c a min to call out = $16.20 a year at 15 mins a month but remember incoming calls are free. Just get a cheap att flipphone to use it.

H20 is decent too as mentioned above. Also runs off ATT

3. Tmobile prepaid $3 a month for 30 mins.

4. Expomobile $10 every 90 days. Verizon! 2c a min

So that is one for each of the big networks.
Perfect, thanks! I'm going to try Tello with an extra iPhone 6 plus that I have (I used to donate all my old flip phones for the troops and not sure if any friends still have them). Assuming coverage is good enough (the Sprint Coverage map looks pretty good in my area), I may buy a basic flip phone

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Sat May 13, 2017 2:57 pm

FreedomPop. It's free. http://www.freedompop.com/phone

jjface

Post by jjface » Sat May 13, 2017 3:11 pm

I've used tello personally and I have nothing but good things to say about them. You can swap phones easily online if you do decide to "upgrade" to a flipphone :P

LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN » Thu May 18, 2017 11:34 am

Another vote for pagepluscellular since they use the Verizon network. In our area, and others I have visited, Sprint's network is not as robust.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Fri May 19, 2017 11:06 am

CABob wrote:Consider Page Plus Cellular. They use the Verizon network and have a pay-as-you-go plan for $10 for 4 months. this is for 3G phones only.
+1.

I've had them for years now. Up to 1400 unused minutes on the above plan.
“Where you stand, depends on where you sit” - Rufus Miles | "Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities"

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:35 pm

tech_arch wrote:FreedomPop. It's free. http://www.freedompop.com/phone
Ringplus threw in the towel. I wouldn't be surprised if Freedompop was next. I don't trust their business model or that they will stay in business. And I tried their service, and had a poor experience, so I don't trust being able to make phone calls when needed. YMMV.

Is the Gold Rewards prepaid plan is around for renewal customers? I think that was only $100 the first year and $10/year thereafter. They discontinued it for new users, but some folks were grandfathered in. I think people were passing them down like rent controlled apartments.

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Fri May 19, 2017 10:15 pm

inbox788 wrote:
tech_arch wrote:FreedomPop. It's free. http://www.freedompop.com/phone
Ringplus threw in the towel. I wouldn't be surprised if Freedompop was next. I don't trust their business model or that they will stay in business. And I tried their service, and had a poor experience, so I don't trust being able to make phone calls when needed. YMMV.

Is the Gold Rewards prepaid plan is around for renewal customers? I think that was only $100 the first year and $10/year thereafter. They discontinued it for new users, but some folks were grandfathered in. I think people were passing them down like rent controlled apartments.
I don't know about any of that. We use it for my son's hand-me-down phone. It works well in our suburban area.