Price for brakes and rotors?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
scienceguy

Price for brakes and rotors?

Post by scienceguy » Fri May 12, 2017 7:37 am

Just took my Honda CRV to dealer because need new brakes. They seem to be quoting me like $950 for front brakes and rotors (if rotors needed - not sure yet) and something like $350 for rear brakes. This seems very expensive to me, but haven't gotten brakes done in a long time so don't remember. I like to take my car to dealer since they are great in many ways and very easy/user friendly. I don't mind paying somewhat extra for dealer, but don't want to get hugely ripped off. For example, when I needed new tires and battery they gave me a quote that was alot but the service guy suggested I shop around. I ended up using Costco which was great. Would prefer to use dealer but don't want to be a stooge. Thoughts?

jebmke

Re: Price for brakes and rotors?

Post by jebmke » Fri May 12, 2017 7:41 am

I only use a dealer when it involves a recall item or warranty.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:43 am

Remember that new car dealers make the majority of their money on service. Check with an independent. Brakes are one of the novice mechanic items that most DIY backyard mechanics do themeslves. The price sounds excessive to me but I do my own work and would simply price out parts at Auto Zone and then replace as needed.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri May 12, 2017 7:46 am

A relative just had brake pads and rotors done (all 4 wheels) along with a PA state inspection. This was at an independent shop. Bill was $850 which seemed on the high side to me. This was in a city though, so prices are higher than in our rural area.

fire5soon

Post by fire5soon » Fri May 12, 2017 7:49 am

If you're comfortable doing the work I would consider handling it yourself. I just changed all four rotors & pads on my car for about $150 total (got a good deal from rockauto). Disc brakes are not difficult to do at all. If your calipers don't compress and need to be screwed back in instead you can rent the needed tool for free from AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc. Drum brakes aren't all that bad either, just not as easy as disc brakes. If all four wheels are disc you could probably do the job in an hour, two hours if you take your time.

Look up some youtube videos, determine if you can do it yourself, and get in the garage! 8-)
A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do. - Bob Dylan

maria00200

Post by maria00200 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:50 am

That quote is mostly labor costs. If you're in the New York area, my husband can do it for half the price! 8-)

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Fri May 12, 2017 7:51 am

You're probably paying 15-20% more by going through a dealer. This is a simple job that an independent, local shop can do with their eyes closed

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Fri May 12, 2017 7:54 am

You can replace all brake pads/rotors on your vehicle for less than $200 in parts (and thats if you're buying the expensive stuff.)

The quote your received is the "lets see how bad we can screw this person." Pretty disturbing actually. Brakes/rotors are a simple diy project. Just youtube your vehicle and brake/rotor replacement...this is for a 2009: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_X8F8sVbmU

Its less than a 1 hour job...find someone else to change them if you cant do it yourself.

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Fri May 12, 2017 7:54 am

fire5soon wrote:If you're comfortable doing the work I would consider handling it yourself. I just changed all four rotors & pads on my car for about $150 total (got a good deal from rockauto). Disc brakes are not difficult to do at all. If your calipers don't compress and need to be screwed back in instead you can rent the needed tool for free from AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc. Drum brakes aren't all that bad either, just not as easy as disc brakes. If all four wheels are disc you could probably do the job in an hour, two hours if you take your time.

Look up some youtube videos, determine if you can do it yourself, and get in the garage! 8-)
This advice is definitely not for everyone. I have always done my own brakes but this sort of work isn't in everyone's wheelhouse. If you do decide to pursue this yourself, do you not try to have the rotors turned. Buy new rotors and pads all around and don't forget to bleed the brakes while you're there. In my experience, 4 rotors and pads, a can of brake fluid and some copper anti-sieze compound (for the caliper wings and shims, should run you less than $500. The price varies wildly depending on the vehicle, from $150 - $500. I second the advice to look at rockauto.com. I've been sourcing various parts from them for years. At the very least, you could price the raw components yourself on rockauto and see if your quote is reasonable for labor. Any shop quoting brakes will also be purchasing the components wholesale and marking them up for install.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri May 12, 2017 7:56 am

:oops: Don't get your brakes done at the dealer. Go to a shop that specializes in brakes. This is bread and butter work for even chain shops like Firestone and Goodyear. If only your pads need replacing, it shouldn't cost you more than $100-150 per axle. If your rotors need replacing you should be able to easily tell from driving the car.
Last edited by Rupert on Fri May 12, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Fri May 12, 2017 7:56 am

Use an independent mechanic. Even a marginally competent one can do this job. For example, dealers may want to change rotors that are still fine based on their book that suggests repairs based not only on condition but time. Our mechanic completed brakes on four wheels and rotors for a large, 4-Runner for less than $500. The owner purchases the parts he describes from a seller, and he installs. Cost of supplies is approximately $140-150.

Tim

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Fri May 12, 2017 7:57 am

As others have suggested, search out an independent shop. Good service costs $, however dealers are typically most expensive by far.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Fri May 12, 2017 8:08 am

last time I bought supplies for my 330i for brakes all around it was about $450. These aren't the crap rotors either. Now add labor.

You can buy really cheap parts and it would half the cost of supplies.

Ask if they're using OEM stuff?

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri May 12, 2017 8:11 am

My local shop charges around $300 per axle or $600 for both front / rear brakes.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Fri May 12, 2017 8:17 am

I recently had all four brakes, rotors, pads, and shoes replaced on my 2001 Dodge Stratus. It cost me $800.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri May 12, 2017 8:18 am

Unless it includes (and you need) new calipers, its outrageous. You probably don't even need anything done to your rotors if the pedal doesn't pulse and the brakes function normally. I'd be willing to bet your pads have at least 5000 miles left on them too.

The rear price may not actually be that much of a ripoff but the front should not cost much more. The labor should be approximately the same and there is no way the parts are $600 more for the fronts. If you had bolt on rotors instead of hat style that could be reason for a labor upcharge but not by that much.

jasc15

Post by jasc15 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:23 am

For another data point, I recently had an independent shop on Long Island do front and rear brake pads and rotors for $600 paid cash. They initially quoted me $850.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:27 am

That's ridiculous. Use Rockauto.com to find your parts.

Pads should be ~50 per axle, rotors ~30 a corner. Make sure you flush the brake fluid when you change your pads, it's a routine maintenance that most people overlook.

jesscj

Post by jesscj » Fri May 12, 2017 8:29 am

I work at a dealer, to replace pads and resurface rotors is about $280.00 + tax. Not all dealers overcharge,but some vehicles are getting more expensive. Such as vehicles with electric actuator over caliper park brakes, the caliper piston must be retract using a diagnostic scan tool,then the park brake has to be calibrated when job is finished with the same tool.

Also there are vehicles that have rotors that have captured rotors which require much more time to replace,usually found on trucks. These usually require removal of hubs, axles, ect to be able to break down assembly to replace rotors.
Last edited by jesscj on Fri May 12, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Gonna Make It"

renue74

Post by renue74 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:35 am

About 2 years ago, I replaced the rotors and brakes (both axles) on my 2005 Honda Pilot on a Saturday. I had a friend help.

It took me about 4 hours to do it. Some of the old rotors wouldn't come off, I had to replace a caliper pin and had to go a couple Auto zones to find the right one. You know...generally it always takes longer to do stuff when you're not an expert.

I bought the rotors on Amazon for about $40 each (PRIME...free shipping...I can't believe those heavy things were free shipping) and bought the mid level brake pads from the local Auto Zone. I think the were about $150 or so. Some caliber pin lube stuff, some brake pad anti squeak stuff, brake cleaner spray, etc.

So...I had about $300 in parts and pretty much most of a Saturday.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably do it again. It wasn't too much of a hassle. These are things I would suggest:

• Use rubber gloves. Keep your hands clean
• Get one of those nifty floor jacks. Those are nice and you can lift up the whole axle.
• Make sure you get good jack stands. Don't just trust your floor jack
• Spray brake cleaner all over your new rotors. Clean those puppies and remove all the oil from them. Make sure you use fresh gloves after you clean the rotors
• Use that red looking brake bad anti squeak stuff...It coats the back of the brake pad.

After you finish, you'll need a beer and you'll boast to your wife that you accomplished this feat....or you could find a local brake shop, pay $700-$800 and play golf Saturday.
Last edited by renue74 on Fri May 12, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:45 am

I had the front brakes and rotors replaced on a 2010 Honda Civic a few weeks ago. With a synthetic oil change and tire rotation it came to $370.

I wasn't super thrilled with the price, but it was better than $950 for front brakes/rotors.

I use a small non-dealer father/son type shop. Their labor rate is good, but I have to be careful because the part costs will sometimes be out of whack. They let me "bring my own" parts for certain repairs that I purchase online.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri May 12, 2017 8:58 am

OM#(*&$#)$ that's expensive. :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag

I just priced out brake parts for a late model CRV on Tirerack:

A good mid range pad (Centric posi-quiet ceramic) are going to run you $38 an axle.
Centric 120 brake rotors are running around $50 ea for the front and $30 ea for the rear.

So that's $236 for the parts plus $10 in brake fluid.
I can do that whole job in a few hours including flushing the fluid, a dealer shop with a lift and power tools can probably do it in under 2hr

Even with dealer shop rates + taxes and shop supplies the entire job shouldn't be over 500-600. A grand for brakes is insane.
Last edited by jharkin on Fri May 12, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Fri May 12, 2017 8:58 am

I do them myself. About 1-2 hours of time and about $100-200 in parts. Ship me, $400/hour labor rate.

Or I have a guy that I know that does them. I buy the parts, and he does them for 50-100. He is actually doing the struts on my car this weekend.

bostondan

Post by bostondan » Fri May 12, 2017 8:58 am

bloom2708 wrote:I had the front brakes and rotors replaced on a 2010 Honda Civic a few weeks ago. With a synthetic oil change and tire rotation it came to $370.
Similar price for me last month in Boston. Got front brakes and rotors replaced for $350. Dealer was fixing a recall when they alerted me that it needed to be done. They wanted to charge around $1000. I called one shop, was quoted $500. Another, $400. Finally, a third with good Yelp ratings said $325. Everything seems to be working fine.
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri May 12, 2017 9:01 am

Definitely way too high. Parts for the last brake job on my BMW 335d was $403, which included drilled and slotted rotors, sport/street semi-metallic pads, new electronic wear sensor and brass caliper slide bushings. Using "normal" parts would have been less than $200. This was for the rears, but my rears are significantly bigger than your fronts (336mm vs. 296mm), so is somewhat comparable, once you subtract the "Euro tax".

Like others, I'd advise doing it yourself--it's a pretty easy job--or finding a local independent mechanic. Even a chain would be fine, just not a dealer.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri May 12, 2017 9:27 am

jesscj wrote:Such as vehicles with electric actuator over caliper park brakes, the caliper piston must be retract using a diagnostic scan tool,then the park brake has to be calibrated when job is finished with the same tool.
What vehicles are these so i know what to avoid.

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:48 am

MindBogler wrote: Buy new rotors and pads all around and don't forget to bleed the brakes while you're there.
What is logic behind bleeding brakes when just changing pads and rotors? I know it's good practice to replace brake fluid after X amount of miles which would require bleeding, but for a standard brake job, if you aren't opening up brake system, why fool with bleeding? Just curious what your thoughts are on this.

myleaf

Post by myleaf » Fri May 12, 2017 11:03 am

I normally open the bleeder screw when I push in the caliper piston during a brake job. If you push in the caliper piston without doing this, the brake fluid in the caliper gets pushed back into the master cylinder. A long time ago, this was my standard procedure, but the vehicle that I was doing this to developed a master cylinder leak. I do not know if the procedure was the cause, but every since i open the bleeder screw when I push the caliper back, i have never encountered a leaking master cylinder (knock on wood).
"Never met an electron I did not like"

MinimalJ

Post by MinimalJ » Fri May 12, 2017 11:12 am

I usually first look on youtube to understand the work involved. I buy the parts on amazon or somewhere cheap, usually just stick with OEM then I look for small places that will just charge for labor, usually in little strip malls/suites that have lot of different auto shops. I'd ask 2 or 3 different mechanics to get an idea of the prices to install. I usually get great deals this way on work done. You can also check on Yelp. Over the long term if you find a good mechanic this can save you hundreds or thousands over the life of your car compared to the dealer.
Last edited by MinimalJ on Fri May 12, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

chicagoan23

Post by chicagoan23 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:15 am

Concur on the $350 quote; I paid $370 for rear pads/rotors in November, then had fronts done last month for $380. Well worth it for me not to have to DIY. Used Midas.

jesscj

Post by jesscj » Fri May 12, 2017 11:30 am

barnaclebob wrote:
jesscj wrote:Such as vehicles with electric actuator over caliper park brakes, the caliper piston must be retract using a diagnostic scan tool,then the park brake has to be calibrated when job is finished with the same tool.
What vehicles are these so i know what to avoid.
Almost every manufacturer is using electric park brakes now, I'm not sure what brands/models are using the specific actuator on caliper but it looks like that's that way the market is moving. I work on GM car/trucks we are seeing the "actuator on caliper/motor on caliper" design on the cars lines right now.
"Gonna Make It"

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri May 12, 2017 11:38 am

The price is very dependent on the type of parts used and where you get the work done and how many parts need replacing. I have a old 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has 122K miles on the original brakes. They are Mercedes ceramic setups as the car was designed and built when MB and Jeep were all one company. The dealer cost for the rotors is $130+ each. The new pads and caliper parts are also expensive. My local small mechanic quoted my $1200ish for the brakes. The dealer said it would run $1700ish. Both quoted using Jeep original parts. In my case the rotors have to be replaced as they are too thin to reuse.

So are your rotors reusable? Has anyone looked at and measured your rotors? Can the calipers be rebuilt easily? Do you want factory parts or good parts from the Napa store? There is a big price difference. The dealer will charge you $150 per hour for labor and probably replace everything and not try to reuse rotors. Your local small garage mechanic will charge you $100 per hour and reuse parts if possible. It takes about 4-5 hours to do the work on four wheels. So go from there for your price.

Good Luck.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri May 12, 2017 11:41 am

The price is very dependent on the type of parts used and where you get the work done and how many parts need replacing. I have a old 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has 122K miles on the original brakes. They are Mercedes ceramic setups as the car was designed and built when MB and Jeep were all one company. The dealer cost for the rotors is $130+ each. The new pads and caliper parts are also expensive. My local small mechanic quoted my $1200ish for the brakes. The dealer said it would run $1700ish. Both quoted using Jeep original parts. In my case the rotors have to be replaced as they are too thin to reuse.

So are your rotors reusable? Has anyone looked at and measured your rotors? Can the calipers be rebuilt easily? Do you want factory parts or good parts from the Napa store? There is a big price difference. The dealer will charge you $150 per hour for labor and probably replace everything and not try to reuse rotors. Your local small garage mechanic will charge you $100 per hour and reuse parts if possible. It takes about 4-5 hours to do the work on four wheels. So go from there for your price.

Good Luck.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri May 12, 2017 11:41 am

4-5 hours to work on 4 wheels? Oh, you must be including the mechanics coffee break, waiting for parts and lunch in that time allotment.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri May 12, 2017 11:57 am

myleaf wrote:I normally open the bleeder screw when I push in the caliper piston during a brake job. If you push in the caliper piston without doing this, the brake fluid in the caliper gets pushed back into the master cylinder. A long time ago, this was my standard procedure, but the vehicle that I was doing this to developed a master cylinder leak. I do not know if the procedure was the cause, but every since i open the bleeder screw when I push the caliper back, i have never encountered a leaking master cylinder (knock on wood).
Take the cap off the brake fluid reservoir, it relieves pressure in the system as the fluid is coming back through. I've done dozens of brake jobs at this point, and never had an issue of any kind with the master cylinder or ABS manifold. No need to open the bleed screw.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri May 12, 2017 12:02 pm

btenny wrote:It takes about 4-5 hours to do the work on four wheels. So go from there for your price.
Good Lord, what kind of mechanic do you go to? I could do 2-3 cars in 4-5 hours, in my garage with a floor jack and a hand-crank caliper compressor. A mechanic with a lift and proper tools should be able to do it WAY faster than me.

No way pads and rotors on 4 corners should take a competent mechanic more than 90 minutes on the long end. Most of the time it should be under an hour.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri May 12, 2017 12:08 pm

Great. 4-5 hours is about the right time including all the labor to completely rebuild each caliper and replace the fluid in the whole system and bleed the brakes and so forth. I mean a complete full brake job. Not a throw some new pads on the existing calipers and do nothing to the rotors and hope the fit is OK that some local brake shops will do.

Good Luck.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:20 pm

I just got brakes and rotors for one axle. It cost $150 and took them about an hour.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri May 12, 2017 12:27 pm

rec7 wrote:I just got brakes and rotors for one axle. It cost $150 and took them about an hour.
That's about right, only it was my first time doing so, I was being instructed how do to it on a driveway using a floor jack and some jack stands. A mechanic in a shop with a hydraulic lift and compressor set-up ought to have it done in 90 minutes or so. That is, remove wheels, remove pads, remove rotors, install new rotors, install new disc and/or drum shoes, bleed, fill as needed, put the wheels back on, test drive.

Calipers will take longer.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri May 12, 2017 12:29 pm

btenny wrote:Great. 4-5 hours is about the right time including all the labor to completely rebuild each caliper and replace the fluid in the whole system and bleed the brakes and so forth. I mean a complete full brake job. Not a throw some new pads on the existing calipers and do nothing to the rotors and hope the fit is OK that some local brake shops will do.

Good Luck.
There's no reason to rebuild any of the calipers--let alone all of them--unless there's a problem with a caliper. The fluid should be replaced on its own schedule, every 2 years. That typically does not align with the timing of the pads needing to be replaced. Though I understand you'd need to if you're removing the calipers from the car every time you need your pads changed.

The times I quoted include replacing the rotors, which takes about an extra 5 minutes per wheel, because 2-3 additional fasteners need to be removed (2 carrier bolts and sometimes a retaining screw). I do not bother turning rotors. I see how it could take 4-5 hours to do a ton of extra work that is almost always unnecessary.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri May 12, 2017 12:31 pm

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

hectorochoa

Post by hectorochoa » Fri May 12, 2017 12:44 pm

RockAuto. For comparison I just did brakes on my 4Runner for $65 including shipping. And these weren't the cheapest brakes I could have purchased. New rotors would have cost about $70 more but they didn't need to be changed. Youtube DIY videos are your friend.

If you don't want to do it yourself, pull into the local fire station and knock on the door and ask if somebody knows how to work on cars. You'll find a firefighter to do it on their day off for $100 labor if you buy the parts.

gwe67

Post by gwe67 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:59 pm

Recently paid $200 per axle at an independent shop.

This web site will give you an idea if the price is reasonable:

http://www.napaautocare.com/estimator.aspx#
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Fri May 12, 2017 1:48 pm

I used to do my own, but quit sometime in my early 50's. My time is more valuable now and my back is not what it used to be.

I get my brakes done at Midas.

I think it was about $400 for 4 wheels with 2 leaking wheel cylinders replaced.
I've only replaced rotors once, though I've sometimes have had them "turned" to true them up. $900+ seems high to me.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri May 12, 2017 3:03 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Fri May 12, 2017 3:06 pm

I recently had front brakes done on Honda Pilot for less than $100. It took the mechanic about 15 minutes. I've always suspected that the rotor machining or replacing is just a total ripoff designed to justify a higher bill. I have no proof, just that when I go to the dealer, the rotor always needs work. When I go to my <$100 guy, he says they are okay and the brakes work fine when he is done.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Way too much!!!

I do my own breaks. I replaced my rotors and pads on my 06 Ford Escape last year, just before it was totalled :annoyed .

My mom was qouted hundreds of dollars for a simple brake job on her van. I did the job for her, I believe parts were around $120.00 for 2 sets of premium pads.

Look on Youtube for instructions on how to do the brakes. You will likely be surprised at how easy it is to do the job yourself.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri May 12, 2017 3:59 pm

It is just funny about how people on here argue for days about the latest safety features on cars. We spend thousands for auto stop improvements but now we are talking about cheap skating the stopping power of the brakes. Do you guys really want to go with the low bidder for the brakes????

Then I want to know how often everyone really changes the brake fluid? Do you really change the brake fluid every 2 years? I have never changed the fluid in my Jeep GC in 12 years. Bad probably but I never have changed the fluid in any car (except for brake overhauls) is 60 years of driving. I have never met anyone who does until this conversation. So when I said the time is 4-5 hours work, I meant rebuilding the brake calipers and replacing the rotors and pads and putting in all new fluid and bleeding the systems. Basically rebuilding the brakes. And after 14 years and 122K miles I am pretty sure my Jeep GC needs all this work done.

And for those of you who get the $350 brake job, good luck. I hope the car stops good when you need it the next time, I sincerely do. Because for that price the mechanic is probably just putting in new pads in and putting the wheels back on the car. They are not turning the rotors or doing anything with them. They have no idea if the new pads will seat properly on the old rotors or just sort of stop. I guess you can get away with that if the car is 2 years old and low miles. But if you are pulling trailers or driving mountain roads that is not good idea.

So there are tradeoffs in buying brake repairs. So for the OP, it depends. Life is about choices.

Good Luck.

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri May 12, 2017 4:03 pm

I do my own brakes but agree with some of the others, don't do them yourself unless you know what you're doing. Just shop around for better prices.

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri May 12, 2017 4:05 pm

btenny wrote:It is just funny about how people on here argue for days about the latest safety features on cars. We spend thousands for auto stop improvements but now we are talking about cheap skating the stopping power of the brakes. Do you guys really want to go with the low bidder for the brakes????

Then I want to know how often everyone really changes the brake fluid? Do you really change the brake fluid every 2 years? I have never changed the fluid in my Jeep GC in 12 years. Bad probably but I never have changed the fluid in any car (except for brake overhauls) is 60 years of driving. I have never met anyone who does until this conversation. So when I said the time is 4-5 hours work, I meant rebuilding the brake calipers and replacing the rotors and pads and putting in all new fluid and bleeding the systems. Basically rebuilding the brakes. And after 14 years and 122K miles I am pretty sure my Jeep GC needs all this work done.

And for those of you who get the $350 brake job, good luck. I hope the car stops good when you need it the next time, I sincerely do. Because for that price the mechanic is probably just putting in new pads in and putting the wheels back on the car. They are not turning the rotors or doing anything with them. They have no idea if the new pads will seat properly on the old rotors or just sort of stop. I guess you can get away with that if the car is 2 years old and low miles. But if you are pulling trailers or driving mountain roads that is not good idea.

So there are tradeoffs in buying brake repairs. So for the OP, it depends. Life is about choices.

Good Luck.
I do my own brakes because I want maximum stopping power, I never skimp with brakes or tires. I only trust myself.