LVP flooring installation DIY - your experience?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Cody

LVP flooring installation DIY - your experience?

Post by Cody » Thu May 11, 2017 9:06 am

I have installed three rooms of subflooring and laminent flooring. So I have some experience with the general concept. But I'm wondering if Luxury Vinal Flooring from Lumber Liquidators is about the same difficulty to install.

The cost of the flooring is $450 and installation is $2.00 a square foot = another $300. (So $450 if I install, $750 if they do).

I will need to rip out old flooring and trim and move stove and frig and vanity and toilet (in bathroom :happy ) even if I have them install the LVF.

And put trim back up etc, etc after the job is done. I will put in transition pieces even if they put in flooring.

So my question is is it worth $300 for me to install the LVP or can I trust Lumber Liquidators to do a good job, quickly and painlessly.

I love projects like this but my hands can be finicky (carpal tunnel maybe) and my back is good most of the time but can act up.

Ps - I can get a local flooring guy to install it at $1.75 per foot) = $262 for install. So not much savings there.

Your thoughts please,
cody

barnaclebob

Re: LVP flooring installation DIY - your experience?

Post by barnaclebob » Thu May 11, 2017 9:34 am

trust Lumber Liquidators...lol

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Thu May 11, 2017 9:48 am

whats that smell from the floor.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

renue74

Post by renue74 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:49 am

The flooring is pretty much idiot proof. Reminds me of the old peel-n-stick tiles from the 70s/80s. The one thing you have to worry about is surface prep. Make sure the subfloor is even and the flooring will adhere to it.

I put this stuff in a rental bathroom. (at the most 30 sq/ft)...in an old 1940s slab floor. Had to remove old tile and the leftover adhesive didn't take the new LVT as well. It still worked, but not great.

To me $300 sounds like a pretty good deal...if you don't have the time or want to do it. They'll be in and out fairly quickly.

Remember...it ALWAYS takes you longer to do a project than what you think.

Cody

Post by Cody » Thu May 11, 2017 9:50 am

Not sure what you mean by "smell?" Literal or figurative?

Thanks,
cody

Cody

Post by Cody » Thu May 11, 2017 9:52 am

I forgot to mention this is "click" style LVF.
cody

Carson

Post by Carson » Thu May 11, 2017 10:05 am

If it were a glue down method, I would have said you need to include in your DIY cost the adhesive and renting a floor roller. But considering it is click and lock, it should be pretty easy, especially if you've already installed laminate.

DH installed LVT wood look planks in our basement and I love them. Ours were individual 3" wide planks with beveled edges so it looks fairly realistic.
My only regret was we should have gotten commercial grade because they take a LOT of abuse from 2 little boys (we let them do bikes/hockey down there) But if you have normal people walking around in socks it should wear fine.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Thu May 11, 2017 10:16 am

A pro will float the floor where it is uneven - and that is critical since this floor doesn't use a pad (if you are using the kind with cork backing)

Cody

Post by Cody » Thu May 11, 2017 3:58 pm

Any more thoughts?
cody

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:15 pm

It ain't rocket science but you better understand what you are doing,allow for expansion and be able to deal with doorways,etc.90 pct is easy,the 10 pct where you have to cut and fit is the test.I have seen a lot of very bad diy laminate and lvt installs.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu May 11, 2017 7:05 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (flooring).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.