Do we need a separate water filtration system?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
katnok

Do we need a separate water filtration system?

Post by katnok »

Where we live, the water is hard (about 10 grains per gallon), so we got a water softer installed about 6 months ago. The installer also recommended an under sink water filter for drinking water. Estimated cost is about $1000 for a system with a capacity of 3 gallons. It filters about 100 gallons/day, and wastes about 2 gallons for each gallon filtered.

I am wondering if this is even necessary when we already have a fridge with its' own water filter?

Thank you!
lthenderson

Re: Do we need a separate water filtration system?

Post by lthenderson »

No. We just use our refrigerator for all drinking water in our current house. In our previous house, the previous owner had installed a whole house water softener and then a separate water filter that ran only to a special tap at the sink and to the refrigerator. The unit was installed downstairs next to the water softener. The thing I liked about that was that the filter provided more water at a faster pace than our refrigerator does which is nice when having lots of guests over. It was a simple device that a series of filters and then stored water in a pressurized five gallon container. I would be shocked if it cost more than $200 total so I would recommend getting other quotes for a water filtration system. $1000 sounds high to me.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Are you on a well? If not then it's probably not needed. If you are, get your water tested. We have a reverse osmosis, we're in a well, the water can get pretty smelly without it.
Topic Author
katnok

Post by katnok »

squirm wrote:Are you on a well? If not then it's probably not needed. If you are, get your water tested. We have a reverse osmosis, we're in a well, the water can get pretty smelly without it.
No, we are not, but the source is a well (or wells) owned and operated by the township. Will get the water tested, but what kind of things in the water do you think would sway the decision one way or the other?

Thank you.
Topic Author
katnok

Post by katnok »

lthenderson wrote: I would be shocked if it cost more than $200 total so I would recommend getting other quotes for a water filtration system. $1000 sounds high to me.
I checked online, and there are some that are in $200-400 range, but not sure if they require professional installation.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

katnok wrote:
squirm wrote:Are you on a well? If not then it's probably not needed. If you are, get your water tested. We have a reverse osmosis, we're in a well, the water can get pretty smelly without it.
No, we are not, but the source is a well (or wells) owned and operated by the township. Will get the water tested, but what kind of things in the water do you think would sway the decision one way or the other?

Thank you.
Think Squirm was talking about a private well. If your water is supplied by the township then they're responsible for ensuring it meets the minimum water quality standards (particularly now in light of the Flint, MI situation) so getting it tested is optional. If you lived with hard water before, can't you simply have a plumber (or yourself if you're handy) run a separate line from your water softener (between the incoming water supply and the softener) to your kitchen sink tap? Shouldn't take long at all and be FAR less than a $1,000.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Just to add that since you are using a water managed by a township that is required to test at regular intervals, it is public record and you can go into your local water control office and request a copy. I do from time to time and they list out everything they test for, what levels are safe and what levels our water contains of all tested impurities.
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

wait, how does it waste 2 gallons of water for each filtered? is it the filter or the softener that does it.

Our city has somewhat hard water, but it's not really a problem except for getting white junk on the shower head.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Soft water is nice. At first I thought it felt slimy during a shower, now I don't like showering without it.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

squirm wrote:Soft water is nice. At first I thought it felt slimy during a shower, now I don't like showering without it.
+1. It's strange how we adapt.

We've our own well. We put an old Amway filter underneath the kitchen sink and had been replacing with GE filter cartridges since the last century. Cost was about $120 at the time. Cartridge is about $35/six months. I cannot justify $1,000 filter myself.

YMMV
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

What was the reason the installer recommended a filter, other than wanting to sell you one? Does the water taste bad or is it not safe? Why don't you have your water tested to see if it needs to be filtered for drinking?
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Easy Rhino wrote:wait, how does it waste 2 gallons of water for each filtered? is it the filter or the softener that does it.

Our city has somewhat hard water, but it's not really a problem except for getting white junk on the shower head.
Reverse Osmosis systems do waste a lot of water. I think lower pressure == more wastage. I thought it was more like 10 wasted to 1 produced at about 70psi than the 2:1 ratio.
I use my "waste" water for watering plants via a moveable hose. It's the same as untreated but about 10% harder.
grouper

Post by grouper »

It depends upon how you feel about trace elements of fluoride, disinfectants and many commonly prescribed human and animal medicines in your drinking water-

Christian Daughton, a Chief of Environmental Chemist for the E.P.A., warns that “Water pollution by drugs is a newly emerging issue.” The reality is that there is little information on the long term effects of consuming low levels of antibiotics and growth hormones, but everyone agrees that they will not be good.
Our public water treatment plants are not designed to remove drugs and other synthetic chemicals from our water. Without waiting for the final verdict on the actual effects of drinking a mixture of drugs and other chemicals, we can assume that they will be negative. The only question is… how negative and why wait?
Most all prescription drugs and pharmaceuticals are synthetic organic chemicals (SOCs) and volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) and can be filtered out with quality home water filtration. Look for systems that are certified for the reduction of VOCs and THMs to address this issue.
The only way to get truly healthful drinking water is to make it yourself with a home water filtration system.
Aquasana makes clean, healthy water affordable and convenient.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

grouper wrote:It depends upon how you feel about trace elements of fluoride, disinfectants and many commonly prescribed human and animal medicines in your drinking water-

Christian Daughton, a Chief of Environmental Chemist for the E.P.A., warns that “Water pollution by drugs is a newly emerging issue.” The reality is that there is little information on the long term effects of consuming low levels of antibiotics and growth hormones, but everyone agrees that they will not be good.
Our public water treatment plants are not designed to remove drugs and other synthetic chemicals from our water. Without waiting for the final verdict on the actual effects of drinking a mixture of drugs and other chemicals, we can assume that they will be negative. The only question is… how negative and why wait?
Most all prescription drugs and pharmaceuticals are synthetic organic chemicals (SOCs) and volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) and can be filtered out with quality home water filtration. Look for systems that are certified for the reduction of VOCs and THMs to address this issue.
The only way to get truly healthful drinking water is to make it yourself with a home water filtration system.
Aquasana makes clean, healthy water affordable and convenient.

I'd bet that the typical chlorination level in a city/town system rips apart most antibiotics, growth hormones, medicines, etc.