Samsung or LG tv?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tennisplyr

Samsung or LG tv?

Postby tennisplyr » Wed May 10, 2017 7:34 am

We're ready to buy a new 55" tv and we've narrowed it down to Samsung and LG. Any experience/advice/recommendations of these two brands? We've generally been happy with Samsung. Thanks.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

TomatoTomahto

Re: Samsung or LG tv?

Postby TomatoTomahto » Wed May 10, 2017 7:38 am

If an LG OLED is in the mix, strong vote for that. They're pricey, but imo the best picture available to consumers today. Have 2 and love them. If OLED is not in the mix, I don't have a pick.

jebmke

Postby jebmke » Wed May 10, 2017 7:39 am

We have had LG for a while and satisfied. My recollection when we bought was that LG and SS looked the same (picture quality of the LED panel). At the time, LG had a couple of things we liked better and had a better offering in the size we were looking for (we upgraded from 13 inch tube TV to a whopping 24-inch LED.)
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

knpstr

Postby knpstr » Wed May 10, 2017 7:41 am

We have been very happy with our Samsung 55" LED (Now 5 years old) so much so when my in laws were in the market they bought one too.

That being said, I know LG also has a very good reputation and would guess you can't go wrong with either brand.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

heartwood

Postby heartwood » Wed May 10, 2017 7:48 am

We bought a new 65 inch 6 months ago. We had planned to buy another Samsung. We went to Best Buy to price and buy. The OLED has a great picture but was pricey. The salesman suggested looking at Sony. We liked the picture and the price compared to the LG. Plus its android. We bought the Sony and have been very happy with it. Our previous Samsung smart TV (4 yrs old) has been clunky when streaming. The Sony is so much easier. Perhaps the new LGs and Samsungs are as good?

lthenderson

Postby lthenderson » Wed May 10, 2017 8:41 am

We have three Samsung's and have been happy with all of them. The oldest is about ten years old and the newest about four months old. I don't have any experience with LG but Samsung's Smart television apps are set up well and easy to connect to the internet and use.

midareff

Postby midareff » Wed May 10, 2017 8:48 am

Bought 2 55" Samsungs about 5 years ago. No regrets.

pennstater2005

Postby pennstater2005 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:54 am

Bought a 55" Samsung 4k last year and it's been perfect so far. I can even download an app to control it with my phone. This strikes me as the Nikon versus Canon debate....both great cameras.

Currently $759 although I got it on sale last year for cheaper.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55- ... Id=5147600
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

rob65

Postby rob65 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:59 am

I think either will work fine. We've got both brands and they have worked well.

Personally, I prefer a separate streaming device like a roku, amazon fire, or appletv to a smart TV. Streaming technology and apps are rapidly evolving, so I prefer the flexibility of an inexpensive external device.

NJdad6

Postby NJdad6 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:07 am

Samsung seems to be the market leader and normally gets great reviews. LG is also considered to be a good choice. It comes down to the specific model and size. There are a number of sites that perform model specific reviews. It is worth doing a search on the specific models. One thing I learned is that the same brand and model have differing reviews based on the size of the screen.

I have a 65" Samsung that I am very happy with. Bought it in late 2015. I found the model I wanted on sale at Costco. I also have a 50" Vizio with a beautiful picture.

Good luck and hope you enjoy whichever one you choose.

El Greco

Postby El Greco » Wed May 10, 2017 9:31 am

I would also suggest you take a look at a Sony. I have one Sony Flat screen and 4 Samsungs. Even though the Sony is the oldest, it has the best picture in my opinion. Even better than my new 4k Samsung (when not playing 4K content). The Samsung looks fine, though I regret not cross shopping a Sony at the time.

Kenkat

Postby Kenkat » Wed May 10, 2017 9:45 am

At this point they are mostly commodities so I would buy on price, picture and features.

pennstater2005

Postby pennstater2005 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:55 am

I have a ten year old Panasonic plasma. I'm going to cry when it dies.
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

Toons

Postby Toons » Wed May 10, 2017 9:56 am

Samsung fan here.'
My son owned an LG and recently switched to Samsung,
Check out this 55 ,,,,looks appealing to me,
if you are in the market,,,I purchased my Samsung from Amazon a few years back,
:happy

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electron ... MM0YD5B6R5
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

stoptothink

Postby stoptothink » Wed May 10, 2017 9:58 am

Kenkat wrote:At this point they are mostly commodities so I would buy on price, picture and features.

This. You can get a really nice 55" 4k for ~$400. We have a 55" TLC Roku TV and my parents bought a 55" Samsung curved (I think 6500) for more than twice the price shortly after. Can I tell the difference? The curved thing is kinda cool (although it makes the screen appear smaller), but otherwise nope and I like the TLC interface better. Also, zero issues.

Postby 123 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:14 am

We got an LG 4K tv a few months back and love it. We noticed that older black and white tv series look amazing good. I think that may be due to upscaling electronics or the 120 refresh rate.

We had to have the main circuit board replaced under warranty, tech came out in 3 days, it was our first appliance repair in 10 years. LG sent an offer to extend warranty to 4 years for $ 120 so we may go for that.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

adamthesmythe

Postby adamthesmythe » Wed May 10, 2017 10:18 am

Both appear to be sound choices and among the "better" manufacturers.

I am the owner of two Samsung TVs, one about 10 years old and the other a few weeks old. So far so good.

adamthesmythe

Postby adamthesmythe » Wed May 10, 2017 10:21 am

> The curved thing is kinda cool (although it makes the screen appear smaller)

One of the AV sites recommended against curved. They said it was more of a gimmick. I decided to go for flat.

> We noticed that older black and white tv series look amazing good. I think that may be due to upscaling electronics or the 120 refresh rate.

Depending on which model you got- you may have extended dynamic range which WILL have a big effect on BW because it will make the blacks black and not gray. This is a major reason for buying one of the better models.

NotWhoYouThink

Postby NotWhoYouThink » Wed May 10, 2017 10:28 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:If an LG OLED is in the mix, strong vote for that. They're pricey, but imo the best picture available to consumers today. Have 2 and love them. If OLED is not in the mix, I don't have a pick.

What he said

TomatoTomahto

Postby TomatoTomahto » Wed May 10, 2017 10:28 am

adamthesmythe wrote:> The curved thing is kinda cool (although it makes the screen appear smaller)

One of the AV sites recommended against curved. They said it was more of a gimmick. I decided to go for flat.

> We noticed that older black and white tv series look amazing good. I think that may be due to upscaling electronics or the 120 refresh rate.

Depending on which model you got- you may have extended dynamic range which WILL have a big effect on BW because it will make the blacks black and not gray. This is a major reason for buying one of the better models.

I have a curved screen, because at the time that's all the LG OLEDs came with. Meh.
One seldom-mentioned side effect from refresh rate going above 60, is that dogs will be able to watch TV with you.
The first HDTVs had a refresh rate of 60Hz, meaning the screen draws 60 pictures each second. ... Luckily, newer TVs have much higher refresh rates, so you can grab a TV with a 120Hz, 240Hz, or even higher refresh rate. That's needed for a dog to identify the picture as moving and not as a series of still images.
Our pit's favorite was watching dressage during the Olympics. She also likes The Incredible Doctor Pol (vet show).

Nicolas

Postby Nicolas » Wed May 10, 2017 10:32 am

pennstater2005 wrote:I have a ten year old Panasonic plasma. I'm going to cry when it dies.

Same here. Mine is 6 1/2 years old. Still going strong and very pleased. As you know nobody makes plasmas anymore and Panasonic left the TV business completely. When it dies we'll get a 4K OLED, but not until the price drops. We probably have another seven years left on this unit. Should be plenty of time for that price to drop.
Ad astra per aspera.

TomatoTomahto

Postby TomatoTomahto » Wed May 10, 2017 10:44 am

Nicolas wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:I have a ten year old Panasonic plasma. I'm going to cry when it dies.

Same here. Mine is 6 1/2 years old. Still going strong and very pleased. As you know nobody makes plasmas anymore and Panasonic left the TV business completely. When it dies we'll get a 4K OLED, but not until the price drops. We probably have another seven years left on this unit. Should be plenty of time for that price to drop.

I gave my Panasonic plasma to a son, and bought an LG OLED. The first, curved screen is okay, but suffers from banding in some scenes. The newer flat screen is a daily wonder and delight. I have not regretted the change.

scboggler

Postby scboggler » Thu May 11, 2017 12:24 am

Recently tried both an LG and Samsung 4k TV in my home. Samsung was the winner!

Do get 4k, upscaling makes 1080 content look even better.

LG's OLED or Samung's QLED both look even better but probably not worth the price premium right now.

killjoy2012

Postby killjoy2012 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:22 am

Nicolas wrote:

x3 - I bought the last 60" plasma model before Panasonic exited. Hoping it lasts forever.

I had a 55" high end Samsung prior and it died prematurely at 7 years old - the actual screen itself died. I purchased the TV used from my brother-in-law for much less than the $3500 original purchase price, but it still aggravates me a bit. I don't think I would buy another Samsung product of any significant value - between that failure, and all of the well documented faulty capacitor issues their TVs have had over the past decade. No thanks.

When the plasma dies, I'll be looking at OLED.

adamthesmythe

Postby adamthesmythe » Thu May 11, 2017 9:54 am

> Do get 4k, upscaling makes 1080 content look even better.

I didn't see anything in the newer and larger models that was NOT 4K. The 4K models that did not have high dynamic range were pretty cheap. OLED, while it may be spectacular, has a bleeding edge price right now.

Dvorak212

Postby Dvorak212 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:56 am

I know it's not on your list for consideration, but I love my 4K Vizio's. In particular, the built in Google Chromecast support is awesome. Once TV is turned on, YouTube or any other Chromecast supported app sees it as a target. Casting to it automatically switches inputs and starts playing video on TV.

https://www.vizio.com/smartcast

Pajamas

Postby Pajamas » Thu May 11, 2017 11:04 am

Deciding based on differences in software may be more important to your actual satisfaction than the differences in quality of screens of comparable size. They all have good picture quality, even compared to televisions of just a few years ago. LG, Samsung, and Sony televisions all have good reviews, in general.

unclescrooge

Postby unclescrooge » Thu May 11, 2017 6:17 pm

Dvorak212 wrote:I know it's not on your list for consideration, but I love my 4K Vizio's. In particular, the built in Google Chromecast support is awesome. Once TV is turned on, YouTube or any other Chromecast supported app sees it as a target. Casting to it automatically switches inputs and starts playing video on TV.

I too love my 55inch 4k vizio. At the time, I was upgrading from a 15 year old 19 inch Toshiba do picture quality wasn't a main concern. :mrgreen:

I wonder how the vizio 4k compares to the newer OLEDs?

adamthesmythe

Postby adamthesmythe » Thu May 11, 2017 7:15 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Dvorak212 wrote:I know it's not on your list for consideration, but I love my 4K Vizio's. In particular, the built in Google Chromecast support is awesome. Once TV is turned on, YouTube or any other Chromecast supported app sees it as a target. Casting to it automatically switches inputs and starts playing video on TV.

I too love my 55inch 4k vizio. At the time, I was upgrading from a 15 year old 19 inch Toshiba do picture quality wasn't a main concern. :mrgreen:

I wonder how the vizio 4k compares to the newer OLEDs?

More reviews than you need

http://4k.com/

Que1999

Postby Que1999 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:57 pm

You really can't go wrong with either brand, they're the top 2 manufacturers. I have a 65" LG OLED in the living room, and a 55" Samsung LED in the bedroom. Both top notch, highly rated TV's with outstanding pictures... Running strong for years. Would depend I would think on which is the better overall deal because in terms of quality they're both great.

partner

Postby partner » Thu May 11, 2017 9:15 pm

El Greco wrote:I would also suggest you take a look at a Sony. I have one Sony Flat screen and 4 Samsungs. Even though the Sony is the oldest, it has the best picture in my opinion. Even better than my new 4k Samsung (when not playing 4K content). The Samsung looks fine, though I regret not cross shopping a Sony at the time.

Where are you getting your 4K content?
Years ago, I had a neighbor that bought one of the first HD TVs. They raved on about how great it was. A couple of years later when I bought a HD TV and had to switch to an HD set top box, I pointed out to them that they still had a SD box and was stretching the screen.

Watty

Postby Watty » Thu May 11, 2017 9:25 pm

One thing to be aware of is that Samsung is going through a major scandal and I am not sure how long it will be around in its present form.

My 8+ year old LCD TV died this week, my wife joked that it killed itself to get away from all the politics that has been on TV. :D

I was shopping for about a lower priced 50 inch TV and some things I found are;

1) Pay a lot of attention to the connectors and what you need. Some models have really cut back on the number of connections. Similar but slightly different models at different stores may have different connectors. I needed both analog and digital output to for a soundbar and wireless headphones and few of the models I looked at had the analog connector. Read the reviews, one model I saw had lots of complaints that when wall mounted some of the connectors were not usable.

2) I ended up buying my at Costco. It comes with a 2 year warranty and if you buy it with the Costco credit card you get an additional 2 years so I have four years in total. My local Costco has a fair number of TV models that do not show up on the Costco web site, including the one that that I got.

3) Some models do not have a built in TV tuner now so be sure to check that if you want to use over the air broadcasts.

4) Some to not have any manual buttons so you have to find the remote to do anything.

5) Some models require that you use an APP on a phone or tablet, some even come with a tablet. There were many negative reviews about how awkward this was for everyday use.

6) The speakers on TV's are pretty much a joke and pretty much only useful to test to see if the sound is working, and I am not picky about sound like some people are! Plan on getting additional speakers if you don't already have them.

Not that it really matters since I was not shopping for a high end TV but I ended up getting a 50" Vizio d50f-e1 for $390.

pennstater2005

Postby pennstater2005 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Watty wrote:3) Some models do not have a built in TV tuner now so be sure to check that if you want to use over the air broadcasts.

Not sure where you are seeing these tv's at since as of March 1 2007 all tvs were required by law to have a digital tuner built in.

DTV tuner enforcement

The Commission's digital tuner rule specifies that as of March 1, 2007 all new television receivers must include digital tuners. This rule prohibits the manufacture, import, or interstate shipment of any device containing an analog tuner, unless it also contains a digital tuner. The Commission receives complaints and monitors U.S. Customs data to determine if companies are importing or shipping equipment with analog-only tuners in violation of this rule.

https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/gu ... nforcement

rebellovw

Postby rebellovw » Thu May 11, 2017 10:36 pm

I'm a Samsung man all the way. We have a very nice thin 40 inch LED which we bought @9 years ago - still beautiful - and we just bought a 65inch LED 4K - which is wonderful.

Very happy customer.

Watty

Postby Watty » Thu May 11, 2017 10:40 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
Watty wrote:3) Some models do not have a built in TV tuner now so be sure to check that if you want to use over the air broadcasts.

Not sure where you are seeing these tv's at since as of March 1 2007 all tvs were required by law to have a digital tuner built in.

DTV tuner enforcement

The Commission's digital tuner rule specifies that as of March 1, 2007 all new television receivers must include digital tuners. This rule prohibits the manufacture, import, or interstate shipment of any device containing an analog tuner, unless it also contains a digital tuner. The Commission receives complaints and monitors U.S. Customs data to determine if companies are importing or shipping equipment with analog-only tuners in violation of this rule.

Here are some examples.

https://www.vizio.com/tuner-free

Probably technically they are not TV's but just displays like your computer monitor.

El Greco

Postby El Greco » Thu May 11, 2017 11:28 pm

by partner » Thu May 11, 2017 9:15 pm

El Greco wrote:
I would also suggest you take a look at a Sony. I have one Sony Flat screen and 4 Samsungs. Even though the Sony is the oldest, it has the best picture in my opinion. Even better than my new 4k Samsung (when not playing 4K content). The Samsung looks fine, though I regret not cross shopping a Sony at the time.

Where are you getting your 4K content?
Years ago, I had a neighbor that bought one of the first HD TVs. They raved on about how great it was. A couple of years later when I bought a HD TV and had to switch to an HD set top box, I pointed out to them that they still had a SD box and was stretching the screen.

I think you misunderstood me. The Samsung 4K looks great with with 4K content, but there is little of that to be had on a day-to-day basis. Where the Sony shines is in playing 1080 content compared to the Samsung playing 1080 content (which is supposedly upscaled to simulate 4K) The Sony, in my opinion, still looks better.

TomatoTomahto

Postby TomatoTomahto » Fri May 12, 2017 5:03 am

I get a lot of 4K content from Netflix and Amazon.
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/4k-content- ... -4k-today/

jharkin

Postby jharkin » Fri May 12, 2017 7:25 am

El Greco wrote:
I think you misunderstood me. The Samsung 4K looks great with with 4K content, but there is little of that to be had on a day-to-day basis. Where the Sony shines is in playing 1080 content compared to the Samsung playing 1080 content (which is supposedly upscaled to simulate 4K) The Sony, in my opinion, still looks better.

On a tangent - do we know who is making the latest panels for Sony? For a long time they where buying Samsung, then it was Sharp, and I saw some references that their latest OLED TVs are using the LG panels.

pennstater2005

Postby pennstater2005 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:50 am

Watty wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:

DTV tuner enforcement

Here are some examples.

https://www.vizio.com/tuner-free

Probably technically they are not TV's but just displays like your computer monitor.

I got it now. I forgot about those. Do people actually buy displays only at bigger sizes?

btenny

Postby btenny » Fri May 12, 2017 11:03 am

Go with the LG and save some money. I have three of them now and they all work great. My BIL and us both have older 45 inch 2K sets that we bought 5 years ago. Those still work great. But we wanted to up size so we bought two of 65 inch 4K sets last year at Costco when they were on sale for $1100ish and are very pleased with them. Good color, good contrast, no blurring with fast motion, etc.. I just could not justify the added cost for the Samsung sets. Plus we did not think the Samsung offered better visuals than the LG on the 4K resolution models.

Good Luck.

NotWhoYouThink

Postby NotWhoYouThink » Fri May 12, 2017 11:07 am

We don't replace our electronics very often, so we go with the best there is when we do buy a replacement. We managed to skip the 3D and curved screen phases, but are impressed every time we turn on the OLED. Planet Earth 2 should be running on a loop on that thing. Plus, it's about a quarter inch thick and is cool as heck. For 6 months out of every 10 years we can impress the friends and neighbors. Then the world moves on.

btenny

Postby btenny » Fri May 12, 2017 11:16 am

Beware how you place these new big thin TV sets. They have thin small speakers and poor sound. I had to buy a sound bar for the set that is mounted near a long flat wall. The set that is used in a room corner is fine. I guess the set bounces the sound off the corner walls so the sound is OK.

Good Luck.

NotWhoYouThink

Postby NotWhoYouThink » Fri May 12, 2017 11:48 am

Yes, we do have a sound bar.

BHUser27

Postby BHUser27 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:07 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:Not sure where you are seeing these tv's at since as of March 1 2007 all tvs were required by law to have a digital tuner built in.

DTV tuner enforcement

The rule you are quoting is an artifact of the 2008/2009 switch from analog TV to digital TV in the US. As highlighted above it applies to consumer products called "television receivers"
It is perfectly legal to sell "digital displays" or "video monitors" that do not have tuners in them.
They simply are not "television receivers".

pennstater2005

Postby pennstater2005 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:12 pm

BHUser27 wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:Not sure where you are seeing these tv's at since as of March 1 2007 all tvs were required by law to have a digital tuner built in.

DTV tuner enforcement

The rule you are quoting is an artifact of the 2008/2009 switch from analog TV to digital TV in the US. As highlighted above it applies to consumer products called "television receivers"
It is perfectly legal to sell "digital displays" or "video monitors" that do not have tuners in them.
They simply are not "television receivers".

I agreed with Watty in another post above. However, unless I'm reading the OP wrong he is looking for a television not a display or monitor. So, anything the OP buys in that regard will have a tuner built in.

greensky

Postby greensky » Fri May 12, 2017 2:05 pm

Get a non-smart TV if you can. Smart TVs have TERRIBLE security. If they have a microphone or camera they can be easily hacked to watch/record you even when your TV is powered off and they are often used to push advertising through the TV interface.

tennisplyr

Postby tennisplyr » Fri May 19, 2017 6:40 am

Well, I just bought my tv and it was a Samsung...actually I bought 2, one a 40" and one a 50". Both are great.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

pennstater2005

Postby pennstater2005 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:55 am

tennisplyr wrote:Well, I just bought my tv and it was a Samsung...actually I bought 2, one a 40" and one a 50". Both are great.

Did you go 4k or HDR?

tennisplyr

Postby tennisplyr » Fri May 19, 2017 7:16 am

pennstater2005 wrote:
tennisplyr wrote:Well, I just bought my tv and it was a Samsung...actually I bought 2, one a 40" and one a 50". Both are great.

Did you go 4k or HDR?

4K UHD

pennstater2005

Postby pennstater2005 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:19 am

It's a beautiful picture. The thing I've run into is I don't have fast enough internet to actually view true 4k although the upscaling does a fine job.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”