What newspaper or magazine do you pay for?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ychuck46

Re: What newspaper or magazine do you pay for?

Post by ychuck46 »

I only subscribe to two magazines, and have for decades - Money and Kiplinger's. Sometimes I get some info that I can act upon, but otherwise I just have always enjoyed reading both in hardcopy versus online.

I stopped subscribing to any big city newspaper years ago, but do subscribe to our small town one, which only comes out three days per week. All the big city papers have gone so far Left they aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
bonglehead

Post by bonglehead »

There are some inexpensive WSJ subsriptions for sale on eBay. I recently bought one and I am very pleased to see that my annual subscription expense has dropped from about $360/yr to about $60/yr.
munemaker wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
munemaker wrote:
blevine wrote:
LarryAllen wrote:
I believe they have it for free on rewardsurvey. I have to go through a questionnaire to check but I believe it's often available there. Check it out. Cool way to get free mags. I am 99% online WSJ is there.
Tried the survey.... no WSJ among the list of rewards offered.
Lots of glossy magazines though.
A recent thread showed at least 2 legitimate ways you can read WSJ articles online for free.
If this ways are legitimate can you share with us what they are? I must have missed that thread.
It is too complicated for me to explain, but it is not that complicated to do. Search for the thread.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

bonglehead wrote:There are some inexpensive WSJ subsriptions for sale on eBay. I recently bought one and I am very pleased to see that my annual subscription expense has dropped from about $360/yr to about $60/yr.
munemaker wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
munemaker wrote:
blevine wrote:
Tried the survey.... no WSJ among the list of rewards offered.
Lots of glossy magazines though.
A recent thread showed at least 2 legitimate ways you can read WSJ articles online for free.
If this ways are legitimate can you share with us what they are? I must have missed that thread.
It is too complicated for me to explain, but it is not that complicated to do. Search for the thread.
Good to know bonglehead - thanks. I don't know of a really "legitimate" way to read read it for free - thus my question to munemaker. The only references I've found is the facebook redirect hack (easy to do - but requires you to hit the linked-in reference bookmark upon each and every article/page viewed) and the "modify a PDF string" trick for the print-edition PDF (Requires you to change date along with section and page number of print-edition URL). Both are cumbersome and legitimacy is certainly questionable.
ebeard

Post by ebeard »

New York Times
Texture app which has over 100 magazines

Both I really enjoy because once the apps sync I can read them off line.
3 core funds. Don't just do something, stand there.
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

One I forgot earlier (edit would get lost in long thread): Undercurrent. A monthly dive review newsletter/magazine that carries no ads. Well worth the $40 a year...
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
forevernaive

Post by forevernaive »

I am a member supporter of my local public radio station as I get a lot of national and state news from NPR, CPR, the BBC etc. as I drive.

I pay for and read:

The NYT and WaPo to support investigative journalism at the national level
The High Country News for its coverage of the Intermontane West, particularly of environmental issues
The Atlantic, The New Yorker, and National Geographic in print for longform articles
The local newspaper because they cover local city/county government issues
The Guardian and Foreign Affairs for international coverage

Online I read a lot of aggregated Google News. I try to avoid cable news outlet stories on the principle that I despise automatically starting videos.

I also read numerous technical journals in my professional work.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

I'm reminded of the huge volume of stuff my parents (mostly Dad) subscribed to during my childhood. Might not have been all at once, but I remember

LA Times
Newsweek
Life
National Geographic
Scientific American
American Scientist
Popular Mechanics
American Scholar
Sunset
New West (later, Atlantic)

Us small fry at various stages of maturity had
Highlights
Jack & Jill
Boy's Life
Surfing
Sports Illustrated
Rolling Stone
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

DaftInvestor wrote:
bonglehead wrote:There are some inexpensive WSJ subsriptions for sale on eBay. I recently bought one and I am very pleased to see that my annual subscription expense has dropped from about $360/yr to about $60/yr.
munemaker wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
munemaker wrote:
Good to know bonglehead - thanks. I don't know of a really "legitimate" way to read read it for free - thus my question to munemaker. The only references I've found is the facebook redirect hack (easy to do - but requires you to hit the linked-in reference bookmark upon each and every article/page viewed) and the "modify a PDF string" trick for the print-edition PDF (Requires you to change date along with section and page number of print-edition URL). Both are cumbersome and legitimacy is certainly questionable.
Those were the two methods mentioned in the previous thread. If they are too cumbersome for you, then you probably need to buy a subscription. Sorry this was not helpful.