What newspaper or magazine do you pay for?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Elsebet

Re: What newspaper or magazine do you pay for?

Post by Elsebet »

I only subscribe to Cooking Light (real magazine) and Cooks Illustrated (digital). I should probably check to see if Cooking Light has a digital option.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
corwin

Post by corwin »

None. Someone gave my wife a subscription to People as a gift. She may read them but they just keep piling up. I do all my reading online and get E-books or library books. Also try to pay my bills online. Even so the house is full of paper.

I run into the pay-wall at the online version of WSJ, NYT and others every once in a while but wouldn't consider subscribing. Every subscription is a life sentence unless you are diligent about cancelling when they've outlived their usefulness.
goingup

Post by goingup »

NYT (digital)
Seattle Times (digital)
Bon Appetit
Sunset Magazine
Bottom Line (gifted to us yearly)
It pained me to stop TIME after 25 years of being a subscriber, but it dwindled to shadow of its former self.
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

I only get Forbes. I got Money magazine for over 30 years but out-grew it. Also all their issues seemed to be the same. I used to get the local newspaper but it is now mostly political commentary. I like the WSJ but don't have time to read it.
dave_k

Post by dave_k »

oxothuk wrote:I've subscribed to The Economist for 20 years, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep that. I really enjoy their in-depth features on technology and business developments. However, their political reporting has picked up a more pronounced bias year by year and is no longer much different from the NYT or WAPO. Really a shame, because they used to have a more unique and independent voice that wasn't reliably left or right.
Interesting - I've been reading it for 10 years or so, and to me they still seem to have a fairly consistent generally libertarian viewpoint, but without a strong political bias. They are firmly pro-globalization and against protectionism, so they will appear biased on that basis, which has been more relevant lately. I can't say any more without straying too far into politics.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Currently, I only subscribe to the local paper. I started a couple years ago, once I started to recognize the local paper was reporting in depth about topics the rest of the media world would never write more than a short blurb about, if they even noticed at all. The Associated Press doesn't care about the political intrigues behind my county's courthouse replacement, the solid waste disposal contract, or no-bid contract awards by the PUD to companies owned by personal friends of the PUD executive (all of these are real local issues covered almost exclusively by the local paper). At best the larger outlets give passing mention when a new employer comes to the area, the start of local public improvement projects, or to upcoming community events.

I'm happy to pay $2 a week help ensure this information doesn't simply cease to be reported on, except in a scattered collection of blogs that I'm unlikely to find by the few who track very specific issues.

I used airline miles to subscribe to Money magazine. So far I'm not finding much compelling content, and don't plan to renew.

I might explore other subscription publications at some point in the future when I actually have more time to read.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

WSJ digital and paper copy. Washington Post digital (local paper).
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

[In Maynard G Krebs voice] Pay?!?!

Not in this day and age. Currently only Consumer's Report which I will probably allow to lapse (after 40 years) when my current subscription expires.
boomergeneration

Post by boomergeneration »

For people that want to read The Economist but don't want to pay for it, check to see if your library has a subscription to Zinio. If it does, you can access the current issue of The Economist at home on your own computer. I read both The Economist and Kiplinger on Zinio.

I pay for the New York Times and our local daily paper.
cartophile

Post by cartophile »

The local newspaper, in paper form, which I find much easier to read than their online version. I don't mind paying to support local reporting. They may have ignored the French election but they have been covering local wildfires, an upcoming tax referendum, turmoil at a local community college, and a recent mid-life audit of a highways project.

The New York Times, online. My main source of national coverage, plus the daily mini-crossword. Their phone app used to be great, but now it's gotten very data-heavy (too many photos and ads and videos to scroll past), and it ate heavily into my international roaming allowance until I cut it off. The website is pretty good but I had to install an ad blocker to use it on my low-end Chromebook. That really shouldn't be necessary with a paid subscription.

The Economist. Good international news coverage, and it's nice to see the US from a British perspective. As somebody else noted, weekly is just right. I discovered this magazine when browsing the library to research airline-mile choices. Now I'm paying real money and wouldn't want to be without it.

American Scientist. When I first discovered it, it was very reminiscent of the old Scientific American in terms of content, organization, and even typography. Immediately after my last renewal they dropped some columns and cut way back on book reviews, so they are now on probation.

Consumer Reports. Many years ago I almost dropped it, but when they argued in their Bose lawsuit defense that they were an entertainment magazine and not a scientific journal, I realized that I was getting my money's worth on that basis. Now I'm not, and like others I probably won't renew. I do still enjoy their car coverage and will probably sign upon line when I'm again in the market for one.

Trains. A slick, somewhat pricey, niche magazine.

Now that I'm retired I find that I only read one professional magazine: IEEE Spectrum, which has good technology coverage in general.
rikki

Post by rikki »

NYTimes (digital)
Fine Homebuilding
WaPo (digital)

I go to my library weekly and sometimes catch up on other print magazines I enjoy (Atlantic, New York magazine)

I'm a bit of a news hound and the 10 articles/month paywall on the NYT would be used up in 1-2 days.

I also support NPR with a year-end contribution (I love WBUR's great programs)
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

limine

Post by limine »

N.Y. Times (digital)
L.A. Times (digital and Sunday)
New Yorker (weekly delivery)
NightFall

Post by NightFall »

Cooks Country. I find it has more practical recipes and a lot more of them compared to Cooks Illustrated. It's like getting a little present in the mail randomly.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Washington Post - paper and digital
Kiplingers

All other news - online.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Good Listener wrote:I have dropped my NY Times subscription after over 40 years as I I found the reporting became biased. I used to get Kiplingers. I noticed that it too was getting too political for me so I have not renewed. So now I have no subscriptions and do not miss them.
I agree with this. Most newspapers have totally lost any objectivity they ever had which is very unfortunate because they served a very useful role to hold all parties accountable. I used to subscribe to Money, Kiplinger, Golf Digest and National Geographic. I dropped these, not for bias, but because I quit reading them. Only subscriptions I still have are our local newspaper and Consumer Report. Our newspaper keeps getting thinner with less content and the price seems to have increased exponentially in the past couple of years. We will probably cancel or do digital only for next renewal. My wife has subscription to Our State magazine (NC) and Reader's Digest.

I may bite the bullet and subscribe to WSJ. It has good news coverage in addition to financial news, and seems to be one of the few balanced newspapers left. I can no longer get past their paywall, but have found no cheap way to subscribe. Suggestions?
DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley »

Business Week

Money and Kiplinger's.............thinking about dropping them. Nothing really new in them.

local weekly newspaper. Sunday paper of nearest large city.

about 6 woodworking magazines. Many have full-scale patterns for projects.

2 investment industry magazines that I get free since I am an RIA.
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett
Topic Author
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

carolinaman wrote:I may bite the bullet and subscribe to WSJ. It has good news coverage in addition to financial news, and seems to be one of the few balanced newspapers left. I can no longer get past their paywall, but have found no cheap way to subscribe. Suggestions?
carolinaman, there are a few suggestions further up in this thread for WSJ.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

HomerJ wrote:Oh, and I cannot read newspapers.

Absolutely drives me crazy to read half a story then go to section A2, page 4. Plus you need a table to read a newspaper.

Magazines I can hold in one hand and read anywhere. And a three page story is on three consecutive pages (Crazy idea, I know!)
https://www.realsimple.com/home-organiz ... -newspaper
http://www.nytimes.com/1997/09/16/nyreg ... t-art.html

Or, google "newspaper commuter fold"

New York Times daily delivery
New Yorker weekly delivery
Runner's World

I have had subs to The Economist and Consumer Reports, but let them lapse. Not enough time for one of them and the other because it seemed to be written to a second grade reading level. I'm sure you can guess which was which.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

blevine wrote:
LarryAllen wrote:
blevine wrote:What is the best deal to get a discounted online WSJ subscription ?
I believe they have it for free on rewardsurvey. I have to go through a questionnaire to check but I believe it's often available there. Check it out. Cool way to get free mags. I am 99% online WSJ is there.
Tried the survey.... no WSJ among the list of rewards offered.
Lots of glossy magazines though.
A recent thread showed at least 2 legitimate ways you can read WSJ articles online for free.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

Money, but I don't think I'll renew
AAII Journal. I became a lifetime member when I was in my late teens or early 20's. I'm 43 now and still receiving it every month.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

munemaker wrote:
blevine wrote:
LarryAllen wrote:
blevine wrote:What is the best deal to get a discounted online WSJ subscription ?
I believe they have it for free on rewardsurvey. I have to go through a questionnaire to check but I believe it's often available there. Check it out. Cool way to get free mags. I am 99% online WSJ is there.
A recent thread showed at least 2 legitimate ways you can read WSJ articles online for free.
If this ways are legitimate can you share with us what they are? I must have missed that thread.
gregger

Post by gregger »

Hi,

Interesting discussion. We take:

Chicago Tribune - Home delivery, Wed thru Sun
The Week - Print (best magazine subscription ever!)
Esquire - Print
Car & Driver - Print
Marquee - Print (from Theater Historical Society)
Milk (from founder of Cook's Illustrated, Christopher Kimball)
Consumer Reports - Online

I am an avid reader of AP News on its iPhone app--superior news coverage in a very handy format that includes off-line reading!

For guilty pleasure, my wife gets second-hand copies of People from a neighbor. :?
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

boomergeneration wrote:For people that want to read The Economist but don't want to pay for it, check to see if your library has a subscription to Zinio. If it does, you can access the current issue of The Economist at home on your own computer. I read both The Economist and Kiplinger on Zinio.

I pay for the New York Times and our local daily paper.
I used to pay for the Economist when you got both a digital and physical subscription which was occasionally discounted. The last time I looked it was an either/or proposition and not discounted much. Now, I read on Zinio in conjunction with my local library.

I pay for:
NYT digital
Cooking Light (airline miles)
Local city magazine
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Subscribe to Golf Digest. Received a multi year deal with an extremely low price. Occasionally buy local newspapers, especially on Sundays but do not subscribe to any daily newspapers.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

Tried kiplingers to get spouse interest and attention to investing/financial topics. $36 for 3 years.
Didnt work. will let it lapse this year.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Money magazine and The Economist.
A fool and his money are good for business.
book lover

Post by book lover »

New York Times and the Wall Street Journal.
cholan

Post by cholan »

The Economist
NY Times digital
London Review of Books
NY Review of Books
Travel and Leisure
Consumer Reports
...leaving not a rack behind.
rterickson

Post by rterickson »

Washington Post (digital)
Local Paper (Sunday + digital)
Slate Plus (digital)
Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine (30+ year subscriber)
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Zilch. It takes about 5 minutes a day to get the shallow news, as it is these days, free. Anything else worth while to me--I do a lot of research in music--comes from manuscripts or publications only available from university or international libraries. -- Tet
blueman457

Post by blueman457 »

NYTimes digital
WSJ online - still get it for free on my iphone after the subscription expired.
Voltron

Post by Voltron »

Pajamas wrote:None. All of the newspapers and magazines that I read can be read online for free using Chrome, an Incognito window in Chrome, or by using a Google search to access the article or find it elsewhere. Many of the articles online are available in multiple places; as an example, someone was having trouble accessing an article on the Wall Street Journal yesterday, but the same article was also available on Yahoo Finance. I also block all ads.
I do the same thing here. LA Times and LA Daily News using the Google Chrome browser in Incognito window.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

We subscribe to the Tampa Bay Times, which is the recent combination of the St. Petersburg Times and the Tampa Tribune. $52/year 7 day delivery. Along with our subscription we also get a digital edition of the Washington Post.

A couple of magazines are $2/year, usually renewed for additional years at $2. They include Bloomberg Business Week (I consider it the poor man's Economist), New Yorker. I wouldn't continue to subscribe to either if the rates were increased from $2/yr.

I also subscribe to Consumer Reports and City Journal. Though I intend to let the Consumer Reports subscription lapse at renewal time.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc »

NYT digital
Consumer Reports digital
adptnt

Post by adptnt »

That Zinio tip is worth paying money for. Many thanks to the contributors who posted that.

I realized the reason that I don't subscribe to Kiplinger and other financial magazines is that I would want to pursue all the savvy investment ideas and vehicles that come by way of the various articles. Some are tempting for example "Earn up to 10% per year with these 29 different investments"
Good magazines, I just cannot help myself sometimes. Not subscribing keeps me on the plain and simple path to investing.

Washington Post I like. The Economist as well.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

DaftInvestor wrote:
munemaker wrote:
blevine wrote:
LarryAllen wrote:
If this ways are legitimate can you share with us what they are? I must have missed that thread.
It is too complicated for me to explain, but it is not that complicated to do. Search for the thread.
c078342

Post by c078342 »

Wall Street Journal on-line, Road & Track, Car & Driver, Golf Digest. Other than WSJ, the others are occasionally read. I've played golf since the mid-60's, got down to a 6 or 7 handicap at one point, but age has set in and I don't enjoy playing as I once did, because I don't play well anymore. Thinking of retiring, although I would miss the Camaraderie.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

The New Yorker and The Economist. The New Yorker for the quality of the writing and The Economist for insightful articles

Newspapers I read for free at the library, and any magazine that catches my eye at the time, which isn't often.
Topic Author
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

adptnt wrote:That Zinio tip is worth paying money for. Many thanks to the contributors who posted that.
+1. This also made me look into what other digital resources are offered by my library...great tip! This thread was worth creating.
vveat

Post by vveat »

Recently subscribed to NYTimes (digital) and Washington Post (digital)
Time (physical)
Cooks Illustrated (digital)
and my husband is subscribed to all sailing magazines there are
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

The Limbaugh Letter
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

None, get it all on-line for free.
Coriolanus

Post by Coriolanus »

Local Sunday paper; Kiplingers; The Remnant; Guns & Ammo; People (for my wife); Bloomberg Business (it started coming free without request); Peterson's Hunting. Had WSJ and Money but let both go.
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

"The Wall Street Journal" online and nothing else.

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed."
- Mark Twain :sharebeer
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
FrugalYankee

Post by FrugalYankee »

The New York Times and two local papers. All digital subscriptions read on my iPad. Less expensive and no delivery issues.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Used to get lots of stuff to read in the past. The last periodical we pay for in print form is Atlantic magazine. Dropped everything else and instead currently download most periodicals at no cost from our local library.
fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet »

My daughter gets me a subscription to Sports Illustrated every year as a gift. My wife will not allow me to take my phone into the bathroom.
When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.
mouses

Post by mouses »

I pay for the two town papers.

I would pay for the BBC.com, but they don't charge. I do turn off AdBlock for their site.

I don't pay for the state paper because it is very low quality. I used to pay for the New York Times, but I stopped that when I saw all the distortions they published during the nominating process last year. I used to think that they were reputable, ha.

I pretty much gave up buying magazines, for two reasons. Gourmet stopped publishing and a lot of the others changed to the design mode of low contrast between type and color background, which is difficult for any older person to read.
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

New York Times (digital)
New Yorker
New York Review of Books
Latham's Quarterly
Cooks Illustrated

And other subscriptions that come and go because of whim or a weak moment or a school fundraiser: TV Guide (I used to read it cover to cover in the sixties, but then I read AB Bookman's Weekly cover to cover in the early 70's), Dwell, Architectural Digest, Fine Cooking, etc. Forbes comes into the house (I don't pay for it) and makes me yearn for the good old days of the Communist Threat. Boston magazine has a similar effect on a narrower stage.

It seems to me (speaking for myself) that the free online news sources are aimed at clicks rather than comprehensive coverage. Or on selectivity based on what they think you want to read or already believe. It ends up being a really superficial experience that reinforces existing tendencies and narrows rather than broadens one's perspective.