First 100 mile bike ride

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hadron

First 100 mile bike ride

Post by hadron » Sat May 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Getting ready to do my first 100 mile bike ride in a month. This one also has 10k feet of climbing. I avg about 75 miles each week between commute and a weekend ride. Any tips for a first timer from those who have done it already?

kingsnake

Re: First 100 mile bike ride

Post by kingsnake » Sat May 06, 2017 10:17 pm

Eat and drink a lot along the way...pace yourself and don't burn all your matches on the first few climbs....it's a long way and 10,000 ft of climbing is a ton.....hopefully you have gotten some long rides under your belt so far this year?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat May 06, 2017 10:24 pm

Go fast because there is a big difference between sitting on a bike saddle for only 6 hours and for 8 hours.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Sat May 06, 2017 10:57 pm

In my younger days, I did ride centuries-- but not with speed, so mine were the 8 hour variety. My training rides were generally 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 hr-- you need to build up your endurance: at about 75 miles in you will hit the wall , just as with marathons, due to lactic acid buildup.
Plenty of fluids (two bottles), carbo load, extra tubes, and a good route (without the dogs chasing you at 40-50 miles in, yep been there) and cell phone in case.

Because I was solo and I knew I didn't ride fast, I had a single pannier loaded with what I needed-- if you're going for speed you can't do that. BTW, mine were at both Colorado and at lower elevations in the Midwest, but I wasn't trying 10000 ft total climbs.
Good luck

(Oh, and good seat!)
{you want to try out your set up for shorter rides- 30-40 miles-- so you can adjust if needed before you hit the long one, a bad setup can be miserable after a few hours}

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat May 06, 2017 11:05 pm

Tomorrow ride 40 miles to a nice place for brunch. Then ride home.

hadron

Post by hadron » Sat May 06, 2017 11:13 pm

Thanks!

I do regular rides that involve some level of climbing. Lucky to be living close to some hills. Usually my weekend rides are around 35 miles with roughly 3k feet climbing.
My longest to date was 70 miles/6.7k feet of climbing. And around 40 miles into that ride I hit a wall real bad. So that left an impression. In hindsight I wasn't good with my pacing or nutrition during that ride. So that hurt. But having never done 70+ there is some fear of the unknown.

zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Sat May 06, 2017 11:24 pm

kingsnake wrote:Eat and drink a lot along the way..
This is key. I foolishly took just a single granola bar with me on my first long bike ride (just shy of 100 miles), and I had to stop at a graveyard and take a nap because I was almost falling off my bike due to dizziness/exhaustion.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat May 06, 2017 11:28 pm

That's why tomorrow's brunch is going to be great.

I did 4 100-mile days in a row. Always had a chicken=fried steak with mashed potatoes plus biscuits to break up each day's ride.

mccannr

Post by mccannr » Sat May 06, 2017 11:32 pm

- If you can ride 40-50 miles, you're ready. I think that is the longest I rode before going 100+.
- Make sure you have some bites to eat while you're riding. Use goos and bars if you like them. Stay hydrated.
- I used SaltStick tabs--who knows if helped.
- Assuming you're doing this with others---draft.
- Expect to get two flat tires :) And have some other random bike problem. Bike repairs can slow you down a ton!
- Break long enough to eat and get a quick rest, but jump back on the bike soon. A 100 mile bike ride is much more of a mental challenge than physical, so the less time it takes the easier I think you'll find it.

Have fun!

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Sat May 06, 2017 11:49 pm

mccannr wrote:- If you can ride 40-50 miles, you're ready. I think that is the longest I rode before going 100+.
- Make sure you have some bites to eat while you're riding. Use goos and bars if you like them. Stay hydrated.
- I used SaltStick tabs--who knows if helped.
- Assuming you're doing this with others---draft.
- Expect to get two flat tires :) And have some other random bike problem. Bike repairs can slow you down a ton!
- Break long enough to eat and get a quick rest, but jump back on the bike soon. A 100 mile bike ride is much more of a mental challenge than physical, so the less time it takes the easier I think you'll find it.

Have fun!
"Break?" What's a break? I ate and drank on the ride. (Unless I got a flat :( ) and I started taking a small headlight and rear blinker with me after taking off late one time, getting a couple of flats, and found myself still rolling along at dark (even was stopped by a local sheriff, who left me alone after explaining the situation).
I found that even 50 miles didn't get me ready for a full ride-- hence the 5 1/2 hr training. {goo bars weren't yet invented, and salt was obtained with a granola/trail mix including salted peanuts, also kept some jerky for some protein}

jerkstore

Post by jerkstore » Sun May 07, 2017 5:51 am

I don't have those types of hills.

1) I would ramp up with a 75mile - ish ride before 100. But I when I ride I expect to enjoy it. I'm not interested in shocking my body with large leaps in mileage or elevation. 10-20% increases at a time.

A person can go from 50 to 100, but yuck.

2) Vaseline on your sit bones. This became more important to me on longer rides.

3) Water. You can miscalculate on food, but not on water. I take two bottles + a camelbak (72 oz.), and plan on refilling bottles and camelbak half way through (plan refill location in advance). Think 1 bottle per hour and 6 hour ride. I've done centuries without food, and it's doable, but i will pack a granola bar.

spitty

Post by spitty » Sun May 07, 2017 7:00 am

Definitely don't forget the chamois butter for your century! Besides consistent riding between now and then, I'd do two 50 mile rides nonstop. This gets you more mentally prepared and it's also a good time to practice eating/drinking on your bike. And at least one 75 mile day at some point. 100 ft/mile climbing is alot over 100 miles! Some look at centuries as just four 25-mile segments--so three stops during the ride. And one bottle of liquid per hour is a good rule of thumb. I use Nuun tablets, one per bottle and they work great for electrolyte supplement plus don't have lots of sugar to give you cottonmouth. Skratchlabs mix works well too. I hate Gatorade--too sugary! Good luck and keep us updated on your training and especially the big ride.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Sun May 07, 2017 7:26 am

If you have done 75, a century will be cake (that is quite a bit of climbing though).

My experience with long distance cycling up to about 130 miles per day is that once you establish basic fitness, you can essentially go forever provided you stay hydrated and fed. It just hurts more and you go slower the further you go.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Sun May 07, 2017 8:34 am

hadron wrote:Getting ready to do my first 100 mile bike ride in a month. This one also has 10k feet of climbing. I avg about 75 miles each week between commute and a weekend ride. Any tips for a first timer from those who have done it already?
You've got a month until the ride, and sounds like a nice base built.

It wouldn't hurt to do 4 hours today, and again one day next weekend increase it to 5 or 5 1/12 hours. Then you could taper the final two weeks into the "big ride". Do not go for a huge ride the weekend before! Keep that weekend ride short (under 3 hours).

Nutrition and hydration on the bike (take in calories every 30 minutes). That long of a ride will be better fueled by something like Hammer Nutrition Perpetuem...

http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/perpetuem/

You'll be fine if you keep your pace in Zones 1/2/3 and avoid burning any excess matches early in the ride (first 50-60 miles). Pace, spin, enjoy. It's not really that difficult to complete if you manage your pace, hydration, and nutrition with the base you have built.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sun May 07, 2017 8:54 am

My number one tip-
Have your bike fitted!
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sun May 07, 2017 9:07 am

Just before the century ride I took I was a runner who could run as long as I wanted to (many weekend runs of 15-20 miles). So, I thought it would be a fairly easy task to ride for a hundred. Purchased a bike, signed up for the century and went on the ride through a very hilly portion of Virginia. Total climb was unknown. Running, I never ate anything and hardly ever drank unless passing a water fountain. On the century, I did have water but hardly anything to eat. I wondered why all the bikers were stopping along the way for numerous snacks. At around mile 90, I really struggled to complete the ride. I did but, it was much harder than any run I have even done.

Also, at the bottom of a hill with a very steep climb up the next hill, a large, very angry dog charged, growling and foaming. I was totally helpless. Fortunately, another rider saw the situation I was in, told me to stop and proceeded to spray the dog with (I found out later) was a homemade ammonia spray. The dog went immediately down pawing its snout, the good Samaritan rider said go and we both got away.

Take a spray of some sort with you.

Have a good ride and drink and eat along the way.

YB
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sun May 07, 2017 9:21 am

hadron wrote:Getting ready to do my first 100 mile bike ride in a month. This one also has 10k feet of climbing. I avg about 75 miles each week between commute and a weekend ride. Any tips for a first timer from those who have done it already?
Man that's a lot of climbing. I would do a good 70 mile ride prior to your century attempt. If you can do anything to simulate the climbing on your training ride, that would be bonus points.

Regarding water, drink when you get thirsty. Without knowing the expected temperature and humidity, water consumption is going to be a huge unknown. For nutrition, bananas and UCAN, which is a super starch for sustained, steady energy. If it is really hot, be sure to take salt tablets to avoid cramping. I love centuries. Be sure to report back your results. Good luck.

Cosmo

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sun May 07, 2017 9:40 am

livesoft wrote:That's why tomorrow's brunch is going to be great.

I did 4 100-mile days in a row. Always had a chicken=fried steak with mashed potatoes plus biscuits to break up each day's ride.
The first time I did the MS150 from Houston to Austin, I carried water and only ate at Whataburgers and Blizzards at Dairy Queens. Overnight camping in LaGrange included drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale until 3am. Miraculously, my hangover the following morning only lasted around 1 hour and I finished in Austin feeling much better than when I started.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun May 07, 2017 9:49 am

Let us know how it goes.

Be safe!

IFRider

Post by IFRider » Sun May 07, 2017 10:05 am

Is it Elephant Rock? Not sure that one is 10k climbing, but there are a few good ones...

In addition to good hydration and nutrition, I'm not sure how old you are, but my advice is to watch
your heart rate. I've learned that my enjoyment goes down and the bonk factor increases
the longer my HR is above ~150.

I tend to pace ride even after climbs, so I take special care to let my HR drop back to a low level (for me around
130) after climbs and keep it there, even when people are passing me :annoyed

Good luck!

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:06 am

WhyNotUs wrote:My number one tip-
Have your bike fitted!
:happy
At least use a bike you are familiar with and have satisfied yourself that it's comfortable as to the measurements of such things as handlebar/stem height and width. Seatpost height? Don't want to stretch to reach the pedals but don't want to be cramped up too low either
Know where the stores are and stop at a few of them! Have some plan or preparation for a puncture/puncture resistant tires and/or tubes?
If you are a runner and can be out all day on your feet you are still subject to a sore butt from the bike (time in the saddle helps you know what to expect with that)
use the gears to keep your feet moving about as fast as if you were running gently (don't lug and strain but don't flail furiously either)
Greg LeMond might have put out a very decent book for bicycling-
I personally would be very very leary of taking salt tablets-I have heard of runners using "Potassium Magnesium Aspartate" tablets in the Badwater run to try to deal with cramping-but that is an order of magnitude worse than a bicycle ride-going to the store for some refreshment and quenching your thirst should be enough and most people can handle such things as cheese and milk (eating and drinking are easier during a bike ride than when running (if you get off of the bike) unless you try to eat/drink while actually sitting on/riding on the bike and that is a whole 'nother story-

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Sun May 07, 2017 10:24 am

Given that you are a month out I would not make bike fit changes at the point unless something is really bothering you (esp. knees). Adjusting to/trying out fit changes takes more time than that. That said, good bike fit is essentially for long-run enjoyment of cycling--something to keep in mind for later if you decide you want to continue doing longer rides.

I assume the ride you're talking about has support stops and the like. As such, carrying gallons of water or a grocery cart full of food isn't necessary. That said, make sure both of your bottles are full after leaving each stop and carry some food along that you know you'll like in case a stop doesn't have things that hit the spot.

If you didn't take livesoft's advice on what to do today, make sure you do get a 70 mile ride in next weekend. That gives you time to reflect on what went well/didn't go well.

On the day of the ride, just know that you'll have highs and lows along the way. When you have a high don't forget that you're not Peter Sagan and when you have a low know that there really aren't birds circling in the sky above you.

Most importantly--have fun! There's very little in life that's better than a long bike ride.

TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio » Sun May 07, 2017 10:28 am

Livesoft, I really enjoy all of your posts but I just had to respond to this one. I did a two week bike trip from Eugene OR to Yellowstone and had a chicken-fried steak dinner every night along the way. It was heaven. This meal plus an afternoon snack of Excedrin and fully leaded Coke got me through the trip.

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:29 am

I think I can reveal a training "secret" from a runner who just finished a 100 mile "MMT" last night under 24 hours age now over 40-he used a track style bike rear end without freewheeling during some of his cross training-the pedals always go 'round when the rear wheel goes-holding back on the pedals provides braking and control -(and doing that may have built up his legs for the downhill parts of the running events)-take the rear wheel off and turn it over and put it back on the bike-the sprockets are different sized on each side giving two gear ratios-it seems that he got a training effect that helped his running from that-he won a couple 100's around the age of 30

"MMT" = Massanutten Mountain Trails 100 mile event put on by "VHTRC" running club

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun May 07, 2017 10:47 am

TonyDAntonio wrote:

Livesoft, I really enjoy all of your posts but I just had to respond to this one. I did a two week bike trip from Eugene OR to Yellowstone and had a chicken-fried steak dinner every night along the way. It was heaven. This meal plus an afternoon snack of Excedrin and fully leaded Coke got me through the trip.
And I didn't even mention the gravy. :)

I rode once from Portland OR to Seattle via Hood River, Mt Hood, Mt Adams, Mt St Helens, and Mt Ranier. I'll have to plan a ride like yours.

hadron

Post by hadron » Sun May 07, 2017 11:34 am

Thanks all for the advice.

The ride is a well supported. There are 6 designated rest stops along the way.

I'm 37 and in reasonably good shape. I don't carry a lot of weight on me so hill climbs are not too scary. But 100 feet per mile over 100 miles is a entirely new challenge. There is a 0.4 mile, 15 percent grade brute of a hill around mile 90 that will pose some challenge. I have climbed it before but that was on short rides.

Couldn't get a training ride in this weekend due to social engagements. Want to do a 50 mile ride next weekend.

Eating, drinking and pacing. I need to keep reminding myself. In previous day long endurance activities I lost appetite and couldn't eat during the second half. So that worries me. I think the mental part will be the key.

TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio » Sun May 07, 2017 7:28 pm

livesoft wrote:
TonyDAntonio wrote:

And I didn't even mention the gravy. :)

I rode once from Portland OR to Seattle via Hood River, Mt Hood, Mt Adams, Mt St Helens, and Mt Ranier. I'll have to plan a ride like yours.
You didn't mention the gravy (so good) and I didn't mention the canned green beans that seemingly accompanied every meal. Even those tasted good after riding all day. The two week trip from Eugene to Yellowstone is part of the old BikeCentennial route that goes cross country.

fatmike91

Post by fatmike91 » Sun May 07, 2017 8:19 pm

Gearing - Gearing - Gearing!!! Hilly centries require proper gears. If you don't have a triple, consider a compact with a 29 on the back. You want to be able to spin comfortable up a 15% grade, and climb hills at mile 90 with ease.

Eat rice + eggs a few hours before you start. Like a plateful. Practice how to eat so you know what to expect. You need to eat a lot. Suggest you stop at mile 25 and 50 and eat too. Don't wait to eat.

Stay hydrated.

I ride centuries a lot, and I've climbed a lot. I'll tell you that 100 miles with 10K feet of elevation is a hard ride for anyone.

/

Mndiver

Post by Mndiver » Sun May 07, 2017 8:46 pm

Let us know how that hill at mile 90 feels. 10,000 feet of climbing is a huge task. Hopefully it is set up so you take advantage of those hills. What I mean is, you get a good recovery time after the bigger hills. I do some riding around Madison, WI and the toughest thing there is you are always turning. Climb a long hill and then there is a turn right at the bottom that kills momentum. I agree with others who say to get a triple or a compact crank. Those hills are going to beat on the legs if you don't. Keep fueling the whole time. Let people jumping out of the saddle on the hills pass you in the first 60 miles. You'll likely see them again later. If your pushing hard and out of the saddle you are burning way to many matches. Mostly, just have fun. Best beers I have ever drank were after a very hot, hilly, century ride.

Sand101

Post by Sand101 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:33 pm

Mndiver wrote:Let people jumping out of the saddle on the hills pass you in the first 60 miles. You'll likely see them again later. If your pushing hard and out of the saddle you are burning way to many matches. Mostly, just have fun. Best beers I have ever drank were after a very hot, hilly, century ride.
This is probably the most important advice. For the first 30-50 miles you'll be pretty jacked up and feel great. Moderating effort will pay off. If you have a power meter setting a "No climbing over 300 watts" rule or something similar is a good idea. Only other thing I can think of is to pack an aspirin or two. Going into the unknown no telling if you'll get some back pain or something like that crop up near the end. Finishing this will be a great sense of accomplishment - you'll be fine.

As far as your hill (sadistic SOBs, your course designers are), there is no good advice - that will be quite the challenge. I had the pleasure of doing this hill at mile 124 of 125 in one I did, so have sympathy.

https://www.strava.com/segments/12123866

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Sun May 07, 2017 9:48 pm

Lots of climbing, good for you! If you're riding with a group, have a good plan for your pace line, it makes a huge difference. If you're not riding with a group, keep your eyes out for the pace lines that form up along the way and tag onto one that feels good for you (and make sure you confirm you're welcome and pull your weight). As for training, you probably only have one or two good long weekend rides left before you should taper. Make sure you eat regularly, small and often tends to work better unless you know you ride better on large meals. Speaking of large meals, I stopped with my group for a real lunch (it was a supported ride with a PBJ sandwich stop) around mile 50/60 on a century ride, and my stomach was in knots the next 15 miles. So, if you're not used to doing that, I would suggest avoiding it, especially if there's lots of climbing. Good luck!
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Kiter

Post by Kiter » Sun May 07, 2017 10:09 pm

Good to post that it is supported. I do some myself and take a mountainsmith waist bag with frozen water bottles and lite snacks . Eat and drink ,switch out bottles on the move,but not with the elevation gain you will have . Do you use any mix? with your h2o ? I have tried some for salts + and favor a Hammer product called Heed . Has a good taste ,so you WANT to drink and has a good mouth feel . melon is my choice. Try it first before so you know it will not adversely affect you

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sun May 07, 2017 11:09 pm

I've never done a century, but I can tell you that after 50 miles and 3000 feet elevation gain I'm famished. A granola bar isn't going to cut. I could eat a full lunch on a 50 miler. Would need even more for 100. I have a 10 mile 3000 foot climb right out the backdoor and going up and back down that is about as much as I can do without food.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue May 09, 2017 7:49 am

hadron wrote:Thanks all for the advice.

The ride is a well supported. There are 6 designated rest stops along the way.

I'm 37 and in reasonably good shape. I don't carry a lot of weight on me so hill climbs are not too scary. But 100 feet per mile over 100 miles is a entirely new challenge. There is a 0.4 mile, 15 percent grade brute of a hill around mile 90 that will pose some challenge. I have climbed it before but that was on short rides.

Couldn't get a training ride in this weekend due to social engagements. Want to do a 50 mile ride next weekend.

Eating, drinking and pacing. I need to keep reminding myself. In previous day long endurance activities I lost appetite and couldn't eat during the second half. So that worries me. I think the mental part will be the key.
Here's the best advice we can give since we do 50 - 100 mile mountain bike races...

Practice fueling every hour with: 60-90 grams (240-360 calories) carbohydrate.

Don't wait until you are thirsty to drink.
Don't wait until you are hungry to eat.

If you find it hard to "eat calories" on the bike, consider a 6 hour bottle of Perpetuem (instructions on how to mix the 6 hour bottle is on the Hammer Nutrition website) in one of your water bottle cages, and carry water in the other cage.

Make sure this upcoming weekend you practice your nutrition plan on the bike while out for a good 5 hour ride.

NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker » Tue May 09, 2017 8:10 am

Lots of good advice above, but I didn't see anyone mention sunscreen.

Maybe that's obvious since you've already done lots of long-ish rides already.

But when you're going 18+ mph on a bike, you don't feel yourself getting burned until it's way too late.

I apply waterproof sunscreen before I start a long ride. Then I bring a small (under 3 oz) tube to re-apply, mostly on my neck and arms, about halfway thru.

Otherwise, if you haven't done a century before, my advice would be to not get caught up in any particular time goals, make sure to eat and drink, and just enjoy the ride.

MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything » Tue May 09, 2017 8:40 am

Minor details, but be sure to clean/lube your chain and visually inspect your tires for deep cuts or other potential problems. I would think a flat tire is the most likely mechanical issue, followed by a dropped chain. Bring a rag to wipe your hands after putting the chain back on :D

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue May 09, 2017 9:25 am

MoneyIsntEverything wrote: Bring a rag to wipe your hands after putting the chain back on :D
I carry a couple of purple nitrile gloves in my seat pack to keep my hands clean when I need to repair someone else's mechanical problems.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Tue May 09, 2017 9:33 am

Make sure your sporting some good quality bike bibs or shorts. I have some Desoto 400 mile bibs.

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Tue May 09, 2017 9:54 am

I used to do Century rides. Even did the breast cancer Aspen ride which is four mountains in a day. If you doing 75 miles total in a week I would really encourage you to get that mileage up
Even once a week putting up to 80 miles

Make sure you're working through your gears really try to get some lactic acid working. The best way to improve that is work a little below your threshold and also a little above it cycle up and down through your gears.

Hydration is huge and don't forget the electrolytes.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:57 am

Sand101 wrote:
Mndiver wrote:Let people jumping out of the saddle on the hills pass you in the first 60 miles. You'll likely see them again later. If your pushing hard and out of the saddle you are burning way to many matches. Mostly, just have fun. Best beers I have ever drank were after a very hot, hilly, century ride.
This is probably the most important advice. For the first 30-50 miles you'll be pretty jacked up and feel great. Moderating effort will pay off. If you have a power meter setting a "No climbing over 300 watts" rule or something similar is a good idea. Only other thing I can think of is to pack an aspirin or two. Going into the unknown no telling if you'll get some back pain or something like that crop up near the end. Finishing this will be a great sense of accomplishment - you'll be fine.

https://www.strava.com/segments/12123866
This is the best advice so far. Everyone has a limited supply of "matches". Save some of yours for the end. Just remember you can split a century into two equal half's, the first 80 and the last 20.
Eat before you are hungry, drink before you are thirsty. Pace yourself.
Some people are immune to good advice. - Saul Goodman

Hikes_With_Dogs

Post by Hikes_With_Dogs » Tue May 09, 2017 10:21 am

Is this ramrod?

Best of luck, sounds like you are in good shape. Take it easy on the hills; pretend it's a marathon and don't go out too fast. Fueling is key. And remember to have fun and enjoy yourself!

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:51 pm

If people are jumping up from the saddle trying to make it up the hill does it mean that the bike is too small or not fitted right?
Not enough gearing or too heavy? (Unless some kind of short unbelievable grade like 35%-which would call for dismounting and walking!
A thought-super skinny tires need more pressure and I think they are less reliable and don't handle as well on real world conditions- something like 1.4 " cross section wouldn't be too big for rolling resistance? 35-38 mm.?

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:57 pm

If I was passing a mountain bike going up Yellow Bus Hill on the Groundhog Fall 50 course it meant that if the rider dismounted he was more apt to keep up with me (on foot) (Is an artificially enhanced hill made up with some material derived from strip mining activity in the past (Near Indiana PA ?) ( Within 25 or so miles from greater Punxsutawney)
(actually I never saw a bike get up that thing without the rider being dismounted,I don't think the rear tire could get enough traction and/or the bike might "lift off"

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Tue May 09, 2017 4:17 pm

Boss!

This isn't one of the KOM rides is it? Mulholland, Breathless & Heartbreak?

I did this series in '06 or something like that on a standard crankset and gearing. Century+ rides with atleast 10k ft. of vertical.

If I could recommend anything it would be to get a compact crank have a 28 rear gear so you can spin in the saddle. I was riding about 150miles per week when I did the series and spent a ton of time out of the saddle. Drink, Drink Drink and eat, but don't stop for very long. Keep it rolling!

Atleast 2 tube changes and a pump or gas filler. Some shammy butter, sunscreen. A visor or something to keep the sun off your face and good sunglasses.

Still have my jersey ;)

http://planetultra.com/portfolio/king-of-the-mountains/

terctun

Post by terctun » Tue May 09, 2017 8:13 pm

I'd like to work my way up to 100 miles. Im lucky if I get one long (35mi?) ride a week, and if I get a second 20 mile ride in, I'm happy. Most I've ridden is 48ish. My goal later this year is to break 50, then a certain stretch that nets 62 or so. I usually fill my bottles with gatorade starting out, then refill with water and have Salt stick capsules. I have trouble balancing my water and salt, and have a tendency to cramp if I dont at least have some electrolytes. Once I cramp, Im done. Riding solo, I dont want to call uber when Im 20 miles out. Good luck!

gips

Post by gips » Tue May 09, 2017 8:20 pm

I guess I'm a minority of one, my advice: don't do it. will it be fun while you're doing it? will it be good for your health? I love to ride but just don't see the point of a 100-mile ride for the sake of saying I did it.

Sand101

Post by Sand101 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:58 pm

terctun wrote:I'd like to work my way up to 100 miles. Im lucky if I get one long (35mi?) ride a week, and if I get a second 20 mile ride in, I'm happy. Most I've ridden is 48ish. My goal later this year is to break 50, then a certain stretch that nets 62 or so. I usually fill my bottles with gatorade starting out, then refill with water and have Salt stick capsules. I have trouble balancing my water and salt, and have a tendency to cramp if I dont at least have some electrolytes. Once I cramp, Im done. Riding solo, I dont want to call uber when Im 20 miles out. Good luck!
There has been tons of research on cramps - electrolytes really didn't do much to help in studies. The root cause of cramps has been hard to pin down, but the best they've come up with so far is that they're simply muscle fatigue related.

gips wrote:I guess I'm a minority of one, my advice: don't do it. will it be fun while you're doing it? will it be good for your health? I love to ride but just don't see the point of a 100-mile ride for the sake of saying I did it.
Yes, Yes, and it's a great sense of accomplishment finishing one of these beasts. I climbed Mt. Evans last year just because I wanted to say I did it - 27 miles of up, up, and more up. Ended up being of the most fun riding experiences I've had - just absolutely awesome. Accomplishment, breathtaking views, and a really expensive jersey - What more could one ask for?

Kiter

Post by Kiter » Tue May 09, 2017 9:09 pm

I also make a point to get out of the saddle flat or climb every 5-10 min.s for a minute to give the boys a breather

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:19 pm

I rode competitively from about 13 through college and trained a lot. A good dog strategy that doesn't involve extra stuff (I grew up in the drilled out water bottle era) is to keep your pace and take out a water bottle. Open the drink cap (the little thing so you can squirt). If the dog continues the attack, point it at the dog and squeeze it at his face.

Take plenty of water and bananas.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

gips

Post by gips » Tue May 09, 2017 9:23 pm

Yes, Yes, and it's a great sense of accomplishment finishing one of these beasts. I climbed Mt. Evans last year just because I wanted to say I did it - 27 miles of up, up, and more up. Ended up being of the most fun riding experiences I've had - just absolutely awesome. Accomplishment, breathtaking views, and a really expensive jersey - What more could one ask for?
that does sound like fun. But I believe all too often people on long rides just grind away the miles and their bodies. I didn't come to this realization on my own, I first encountered the idea in the book Just Ride https://www.amazon.com/Just-Ride-Radica ... 0761155589 and have come to agree with the author's viewpoint on this point