Amazon shipment "stuck" at UPS distribution

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
runner9

Amazon shipment "stuck" at UPS distribution

Post by runner9 »

Ordered an item on amazon, took 2 extra days for processing. Sent 2 day air to arrive Wednesday (yesterday). Really need the item.

Yesterday at 6:30am it arrives at the location the trucks leave to service our area. I assumed it would be put on a truck yesterday. nope. Assumed it would be put on a truck this morning. nope. Weather is not an issue.

Called UPS, lady said it's probably lost, they would investigate, tell Amazon this info. I then chat with Amazon who says they've verified it will be delivered today. I call UPS back, lady, with accent, says it will arrive today. I ask if there's a magic truck that's not loaded at noon that will still deliver by 8pm.

It's now 2:30pm, still not on a truck. I know it's not coming today. Any ideas? I could go to the distribution place, can't find their phone number through, but that may or may not help. They do have local pickup there but I'm sure you have to arrange in advance.

Both Amazon and UPS say wait until tonight. Amazon says it will them reship. I ordered on Saturday and really need the item. Any ideas other than just waiting?
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Re: Amazon shipment "stuck" at UPS distribution

Post by JohnFiscal »

reorder with overnight delivery.

Then refuse or return the second item to show up (which would be either the first or second shipment)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

runner9 wrote:Any ideas other than just waiting?
Go out and buy it from local retailer.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

You can't trust the tracking information available to you.

Call Amazon back if it is not delivered by 8 PM and tell them you need it overnighted to you and you don't think you should have to pay for the order and if Prime is involved, tell them that you are not happy with your Prime membership either. If you don't get satisfaction, email jeff@amazon.com for executive customer service, although that will take a day or two.

I'm not sure what the rep you spoke to having an accent has to do with anything unless you had difficulty understanding what the rep said or vice versa.
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

Pajamas wrote:I'm not sure what the rep you spoke to having an accent has to do with anything unless you had difficulty understanding what the rep said or vice versa.
good point.

Due my work involving being on the phone with people calling from all over the globe I have gotten pretty good at discerning/identifying accents and understanding them. The worst call I had was from a guy in Korea. For me, the most difficult accents in general to pick up are Hungarian. Just something about them. I pointed out to my wife about the accents in her home country/province, "there aren't any!" but now she hears them. I'm positive I have my own accent (well, that's a foregone conclusion). Perhaps the worst case of in-person not being able to understand the local accent was in the backwoods of upper Alabama, having pulled off the highway with car trouble (even though I lived in Birmingham at the time and "knew" this accent).
Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 »

OP here, mentioned accent as I had trouble understanding and am guessing my "logic" might not make sense in the person's home country.

I just called back UPS and they agreed most likely lost. Now chatting with Amazon to have a record and they are checking...
MP173

Post by MP173 »

US Postal Service is subcontracting deliveries of UPS and Amazon shipments. That creates another layer of handling of parcels.
Amazon is planning on expanding it's logistics footprint in a huge way, just not there yet.

Ed
Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Ended up with a 3 way call and had to push UPS to look past the "delivery date today" line to use some logic. They agreed most likely lost and will investigate for up to EIGHT business days. In a prior chat when Amazon was insistent it would be delivered I opted for refund over replacement. Now Amazon won't replace, as they are refunding and I have to reorder at normal prime plus 2 days processing speed. I'm redoubling my efforts to find locally but don't think I will.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

runner9 wrote:Ordered an item on amazon, took 2 extra days for processing. Sent 2 day air to arrive Wednesday (yesterday). Really need the item.

Yesterday at 6:30am it arrives at the location the trucks leave to service our area. I assumed it would be put on a truck yesterday. nope. Assumed it would be put on a truck this morning. nope. Weather is not an issue.

Called UPS, lady said it's probably lost, they would investigate, tell Amazon this info. I then chat with Amazon who says they've verified it will be delivered today. I call UPS back, lady, with accent, says it will arrive today. I ask if there's a magic truck that's not loaded at noon that will still deliver by 8pm.

It's now 2:30pm, still not on a truck. I know it's not coming today. Any ideas? I could go to the distribution place, can't find their phone number through, but that may or may not help. They do have local pickup there but I'm sure you have to arrange in advance.

Both Amazon and UPS say wait until tonight. Amazon says it will them reship. I ordered on Saturday and really need the item. Any ideas other than just waiting?
By chance did you order this on a credit card? Something very similar happened to me last Christmas. I ordered an Amazon gift card as a Christmas present for my mom. It was scheduled to be delivered by US Mail. Amazon claimed that it would be shipped overnight ("free one-day shipping!"), so after a week had gone by, I emailed Amazon, and told them flat out that if my mom's card was not in my hands in 24 hours, I would cancel the order, contest the charge with Visa, and leave Amazon, Visa and the US Postal Service to fight out out among themselves. I had the card 24 hours later.

Moral of the story: I understand that you need the item. But if you can't get it delivered, cancel and buy it from someone else. It's your money, after all. No merchant should be allowed to make you fight for the privilege of handing them your hard-earned cash.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Item was 15.99. I found it locally for 25; not worth the extra money to me. It has free return on Amazon so I ordered another just now. Might order a few and return if not needed or if they ever find the first one.
Ged

Post by Ged »

If you have Amazon Prime be sure to complain that as a Prime member you are paying for and expect better service. Usually that will get you an extra month of Prime service free.
celia

Post by celia »

runner9 wrote:Item was 15.99. I found it locally for 25; not worth the extra money to me. It has free return on Amazon so I ordered another just now. Might order a few and return if not needed or if they ever find the first one.
Go buy a couple of them locally. When all of them have arrived, do your "local" returns first (assuming they all have the same manufacturer packaging and are thus interchangeable).

You are spending more than $9 worth of time trying to solve this problem. Not worth it.
jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons »

Ged's right, google Amazon prime fine print. If a delivery misses the date, you get a free month of service tacked on. The pillocks at FedEx have gotten me a few years worth of free service.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

runner9 wrote:Item was 15.99. I found it locally for 25; not worth the extra money to me. It has free return on Amazon so I ordered another just now. Might order a few and return if not needed or if they ever find the first one.
If you really need like you said, pay the extra $9. Since you don't really need it, wait, and follow up with Amazon customer service about a credit or Prime extension as suggested.

I've stopped trusting Amazon with time-sensitive orders. They're too inconsistent.
tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat »

That's a lot of phone calls to avoid spending $9.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

I worked at UPS during college. I loaded 4 trucks bound for Iowa. Trying to recall town names and zip codes that corresponded with which truck was hell. As a former missorter, I'd like to apologize. Package will likely show a few days late.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

Atomic wrote:As a former missorter, I'd like to apologize. Package will likely show a few days late.
+1. And lol! Been there.
Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 »

UPS status was updated after 3 way call last night to "We're attempting to verify the package location./Lost package investigation"
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

MP173 wrote:US Postal Service is subcontracting deliveries of UPS and Amazon shipments. That creates another layer of handling of parcels.
Amazon is planning on expanding it's logistics footprint in a huge way, just not there yet.

Ed
That's a good possibility. I had a package tracking say the delivery was made and signed for by XXXXX. I called UPS and and said they delivered the package to the wrong place. Called me back and said USPS was delivering the last mile so that's who signed for it.
Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 »

I e-mailed Jeff Bozos account and someone replied that they would credit the cost of the second/replacement item. It arrives Tuesday, ahead of schedule.

So, in the end 2 items were sent, one arrived. Neither cost us anything plus we got a $5 amazon credit for the first day the first item was late.

Case closed. Thanks for the advice
greg24

Post by greg24 »

This thread has wasted a lot more than $9 of people's time.
sketchy9

Post by sketchy9 »

It's interesting that OP said "I really need the item" but the it wasn't worth the extra $9 to buy it from a local store. Now, granted, that is like a 60% markup on the price compared to Amazon, but necessity will sometimes dictate overpaying (and in this case it's not an extra $100 or something).

I'm of the camp that believes that shipping out individual items to tens or hundreds of thousands of people in a city imposes a terrible environmental cost that is never paid, but what do I know. The market has spoken.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

sketchy9 wrote:It's interesting that OP said "I really need the item" but the it wasn't worth the extra $9 to buy it from a local store.
That's what I was wondering, too. "Really need" is a very relative term, I guess!