Update Libby library app (My library is switching to Cloud Library from Overdrive: no more kindle!)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
heartwood

Update Libby library app (My library is switching to Cloud Library from Overdrive: no more kindle!)

Post by heartwood »

July 20, 2018: I've updated the title and added a post at the end of the old thread.

My public library (in fact a four county system of 76 libraries) is switching from Overdrive to the 3M Cloud Library app for ebooks. As far as I can tell I will only be able to read library books in the CL app on specific devices. With the exception of Kindle Fire, most kindles are not able to use CL. So much for Amazon's hegemony.

Here's a link to their page: http://www.yourcloudlibrary.com/index.php/en-us/
Supported devices are at the bottom.

I've registered my dissatisfaction with library management, first in that the CL app seems several steps backward in ease and utility from Overdrive, but more telling to me is that it makes my kindles bricks other than purchasing content from Amazon. I was told I was the first to raise any objection, that it's perceived as a more advanced platform and basically a done deal.

Anyone with experience with CL? Are there work arounds to transfer CL reads to kindle?
Last edited by heartwood on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pajamas

Re: My library is switching to Cloud Library from Overdrive: no more kindle!

Post by Pajamas »

No, you have to install the app and you can't do that on the Kindle e-readers.

The most common work-around to continue using Overdrive for people who don't live or work in New York State is to join the Brooklyn Public Library for $50 a year.

https://www.bklynlibrary.org/use-the-library/borrow

The Brooklyn Public Library is a separate system from the New York Public Library and the Queens Library, as a result of those boroughs being separate cities when the library systems were established and no consensus for combining them at any point since.
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

heartwood wrote:...

I've registered my dissatisfaction with library management, first in that the CL app seems several steps backward in ease and utility from Overdrive, but more telling to me is that it makes my kindles bricks other than purchasing content from Amazon. ...
Can't really provide insight on these two library options, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that losing one would brick the kindle--unless you mostly are reading new releases. There are a wealth of pdf publications available on the web. So too, all of gutenberg.org's holdings are available in both pdf and mobi format. Gutenberg sites in other countries with different copyright laws also provide options. Maybe those things aren't of interest, but if you haven't done so, you might want to take a look. (Just need to download and email to your kindle account.)
Edit Signature
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Perhaps your complaint is the first because others haven't noticed the change yet?

For me this would be a problem, too. I get a lot of my library books in Kindle format via Overdrive. I do have an iPad, but I often prefer to use the Kindle Oasis.

Thanks for the Brooklyn library tip, Pajamas. I will have to remember that in case my library makes a similar switch.
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

It seems the Cloud Library uses phones or tablets. IMHO phones are too small and most tablets are too heavy and don't use e-ink.
mouses

Post by mouses »

I'm too lazy to see if this works, but you might try this. It says books can be read on Windows pcs. Perhaps Calibre on a pc can change a book to kindle format and you can load that onto a kindle.

I have a Nook, so what do I know. However I do use Calibre to change kindle books to the form that the Nook can read.
Topic Author
heartwood

Re: Update Libby library app (My library is switching to Cloud Library from Overdrive: no more kindle!)

Post by heartwood »

An update to my thread of over a year ago. I've edited the title.

My library dumped Cloud Library and went back to Overdrive about a month or so ago. Hooray!

I just got a loan of the new Daniel Silva book, The Other Woman. I went to download it to my kindle (and kindle apps) and found that it's only available from the library as an ePub, so no kindle compatibility, unless there's a workaround I don't know. We have access to two other libraries that use Overdrive. I'm seeing several books that I want that are only available as e-pubs, so this may be a coming trend for library borrowings.

Then I recalled that Overdrive has pushed out a revised Libby app, perhaps a cute name for a library app. Besides the interface for borrowing books its also an e-reader. Better, it will accept multiple library cards from the same library and other libraries so all your borrowed books are in one place. It syncs between my phone, my tablet and my chromebook, and also my wife's devices. I like it as much or more as my Kindle apps.

You launch Libby, choose which library and library card, and it opens in that library. You can search, borrow, and read all in one place.

I'm guessing it won't work with paid content from outside the Overdrive system, e.g. Amazon, but I get all my books from the several libraries we have access to.
penumbra

Re: Update Libby library app (My library is switching to Cloud Library from Overdrive: no more kindle!)

Post by penumbra »

I’ve used Libby for a year now, with 3 different library systems. It’s nothing short of fantastic! So very user friendly.. I can read on my iPad or on my kindle. And it’s wonderful for audiobooks too! Can’t recommend it highly enough.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

https://meet.libbyapp.com

If anyone else is confused how this works with a real Kindle, the site says:

“If you prefer reading on your Kindle, Libby can send your library books to it.
(U.S. libraries only.)”
Lacrocious

Post by Lacrocious »

FYI - if you need to convert between EPUB and Kindle formats or a number of other formats, take a look at Calibre. It does mean using a PC for the conversions, so not quite as convenient - but I use it for book tracking as well.
- L
MulesFan

Post by MulesFan »

You may not be aware it’s common for Overdrive's ebooks to cost $100 or more for the library to license popular titles. Eaudio titles are even pricier. Many times, the license only lasts for a specific amount of time or circulations (often 1 year or 26 circs) and then the library has to repurchase it for the same price. Because only 1 copy of a specific ebook can be used at a time, the library has to purchase multiple licenses of popular titles to meet patron demand.

I bet the reason your library tried CL was because the titles they offer are much cheaper. However, the selection is nowhere near Overdrive's and then there are the compatibility issues.

We all (librarians) are stuck between affordability and compatibility. It sounds like your library listened and adjusted.