Time to upgrade bed/bath linens

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
nymeria.stark

Time to upgrade bed/bath linens

Post by nymeria.stark » Tue May 02, 2017 11:23 am

Now that I am a full-fledged Adult, it's time to invest in some nice towels/sheets for both personal and guest use. We're always on a budget, so the less expensive, the better. We literally need to replace EVERYTHING.

We like crisp cotton sheets and big, soft towels (who doesn't?), and we've had issues with sheets pilling in the foot area before, so they need to be durable. No jersey, no flannel, no other odd fabrics like satin or whatever.

Where do you guys buy bed/bath linens? What brands would you recommend? And are linens a place where you can be frugal and still get good quality, or do I need to prepare to splurge?
Just a girl, standing in front of her finances, asking them to make more sense.

texasdiver

Re: Time to upgrade bed/bath linens

Post by texasdiver » Tue May 02, 2017 11:33 am

Costco for both sheets and towels

Naismith

Post by Naismith » Tue May 02, 2017 11:45 am

nymeria.stark wrote: We like crisp cotton sheets and big, soft towels (who doesn't?)
People who live in humid climates, where big soft towels can mildew before they dry out. That's not an issue for you, so great.

(But we had to spend a lot of time testing the various "Quick Dry" towels before determining that Kohls had the best.)

nymeria.stark

Post by nymeria.stark » Tue May 02, 2017 11:49 am

Naismith wrote:
nymeria.stark wrote: We like crisp cotton sheets and big, soft towels (who doesn't?)
People who live in humid climates, where big soft towels can mildew before they dry out. That's not an issue for you, so great.

(But we had to spend a lot of time testing the various "Quick Dry" towels before determining that Kohls had the best.)
Oh, excellent point! We definitely don't have a humidity problem, but that makes complete sense. Good to know about Kohls!

leeks

Post by leeks » Tue May 02, 2017 5:10 pm

We have been happy with organic cotton sheets - 300 ct percale (I consider those appropriately "crisp") - from Target (ordered online, frequently on sale).

Swimmer

Post by Swimmer » Tue May 02, 2017 6:50 pm

texasdiver wrote:Costco for both sheets and towels

+1

Great quality but sometimes towel colors are limited.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue May 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Swimmer wrote:
texasdiver wrote:Costco for both sheets and towels

+1

Great quality but sometimes towel colors are limited.
Any color you want, as long as it's white. :P

gwe67

Post by gwe67 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:53 pm

The problem with big, soft towels is that it takes forever to dry them in the dryer (usually more than one cycle).
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads

traveltoomuch

Post by traveltoomuch » Tue May 02, 2017 8:56 pm

+1 to Costco for sheets, specifically the Kirkland Signature pima cotton sheets. I've seen a $15 discount on those, usually in November, but it comes along rarely.

runner540

Post by runner540 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:06 pm

nymeria.stark wrote:Now that I am a full-fledged Adult, it's time to invest in some nice towels/sheets for both personal and guest use. We're always on a budget, so the less expensive, the better. We literally need to replace EVERYTHING.

We like crisp cotton sheets and big, soft towels (who doesn't?), and we've had issues with sheets pilling in the foot area before, so they need to be durable. No jersey, no flannel, no other odd fabrics like satin or whatever.

Where do you guys buy bed/bath linens? What brands would you recommend? And are linens a place where you can be frugal and still get good quality, or do I need to prepare to splurge?

We refer to thesweethome.com for stuff like this. They test products extensively for quality amd durability, and recommend an overall top pick and a budget pick.

Towels: Pottery Barn Hydrocotton
Sheets: LL Bean 280 Percale

Both of these retailers frequently run 30% off deals and offer discounts if you sign up for emails (which you can unsubscribe from later).

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Tue May 02, 2017 9:24 pm

We like crisp sheets too and really found it was the weave and not necessarily thread count that made all the difference for us. 100% cotton in a percale weave is what we stick with. We've since gotten complete king sets for as low as $30 on sale and still been very happy with them.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:34 am

If you want to be really fancy lyocell is naturally anti bacterial fabric made from bamboo. Note, don't trust rayon from bamboo to be anti bacterial, as it's not.
IT-DevOps System Administrator

Post by 123 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:04 am

Another vote for Costco sheets and towels. The disadvantage of Costco is that the selection in styles and colors is pretty limited.

Over the years we've tried many other brands of towels from Macy's and elsewhere. Whenever we've bought sets of towels with trendy or "designer" fabrics or patterns they just don't hold up in the washer/dryer and often become frayed in 3 - 6 months.

My experience with bamboo fabric towels is that they take forever to dry.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

nymeria.stark

Post by nymeria.stark » Wed May 03, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks, all! The Costco suggestion is great. Never would have thought about that, and the lack of pattern choices doesn't bother me. I'll definitely check out thesweethome.com.

And good point about weave vs. thread count, jbuzolich. Our highest thread count sheets are the ones that pilled (and the ones that are so soft that it bugs me). I won't worry about thread count too much in the future. Percale it is!

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed May 03, 2017 9:56 am

If there's an Ikea near you, they have good towels (at least if you stick with their premium ones) at a great price. Avoid their sheets though.

FloRidaRocky

Post by FloRidaRocky » Wed May 03, 2017 10:51 am

Costco for both sheets and towels
Unless you have a twin bed.

I cut my foam queen mattress down to a twin to save space and can't find twin sheet sets at costco, other than Dora the Explorer kids stuff.

Afty

Post by Afty » Wed May 03, 2017 11:45 am

The Sweethome is my go-to for recommendations for household stuff.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-sheets/

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-bath-towel/

I can vouch for the towel recommendation. I bought their recommended Target Fieldcrest towels a few months ago, and they are very nice and reasonable priced.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Wed May 03, 2017 1:00 pm

nymeria.stark wrote:I won't worry about thread count too much in the future. Percale it is!
For just about anything, relying solely on a single spec probably won't tell you what you're looking to find out. Weave, thread fineness, staple, finishing, etc also matter. There are certainly other resources on linens but here's one from quick Googling:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-deco ... -count.htm

To make matters worse, thread counts can be misleading if the manufacturer is counting plies.

The Sweethome also has helpful info.
nymeria.stark wrote:Where do you guys buy bed/bath linens? What brands would you recommend? And are linens a place where you can be frugal and still get good quality, or do I need to prepare to splurge?
Please always provide a budget. I buy sheets from Brooklinen and I'm currently getting towels from Boll & Branch and would easily recommend them both. However, it sounds like these aren't going to to be relevant suggestions for you.

sls239

Post by sls239 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:33 pm

I'd suggest Land's End for all of that. And another +1 on the percale if you want crisp. You should be able to get 20 - 30% off the standard price.

And the exception would be, if you use them, washcloths. I like thinner cheaper washcloths better.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Wed May 03, 2017 4:39 pm

crisp? So you'll want percale, not sateen. And cotton, not rayon.

Consumer reports like over a year ago when they had a review, liked ll bean the most. Land's end was pretty highly ranked too.

nymeria.stark

Post by nymeria.stark » Wed May 03, 2017 4:42 pm

takeshi wrote:Please always provide a budget. I buy sheets from Brooklinen and I'm currently getting towels from Boll & Branch and would easily recommend them both. However, it sounds like these aren't going to to be relevant suggestions for you.
Apologies. I'm pretty open, which is why I didn't list specific numbers. I'd like to get, say, six bath towels for under $100 and spend maybe $60 on a sheet set (king). However, I would be willing to go higher if I needed to, or if a little rise in price meant a significant increase in quality.

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Wed May 03, 2017 9:23 pm

We have flannel sheets from land's end and I'm not impressed with how they've worn. As for sheets, mine are Frette, Pratsei, and a house brand by Bloomingdales. They've held up well and I like them all. Personally, I think the premium is worth it for nice sheets. For towels, whatever the Bloomingdales house brand is, Abyss I think.

dos palomas

Post by dos palomas » Wed May 03, 2017 10:21 pm

Frugal/splurge is relative to what you value.

Our setup for the king bed is the following, and it's perfect for us:

Leesa mattress $1000
Brooklinen percale sheets for summer $200 / LL bean flannel for winter $100
Company store down comforter $350
Regular target pillows... work fine haven't found the perfect pillows yet

Costco bath sheets are the best value proposition IMO. $10-15 ea and have held up well for years. Few spots of discoloration (bleach mishaps I think) but great value.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Wed May 03, 2017 11:18 pm

big fan of costco, but hate sateen.....will look for percale next. Thanks for the tip.