Minimalist May

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dh

Minimalist May

Post by dh » Tue May 02, 2017 9:52 am

Dear Boglehead Friends,

I am decided to do a experiment this month. While, I am not willing to deprive myself of the joys of eating nutritious food and taking good care of myself, I want to see how little I can spend on "extras." I have decided to not eat out, not spend money at the theater, nor spend money to attend live events. So, I turn to all of you for ideas on free things to do in may. I have already started a list of free activities to fill my month and enjoy the company of others. My list includes, walking in the park, taking out a few books and DVDs at my local library, perusing the local paper for free events at the library, and journaling more frequently. Please reply with other free things you do that provide moments of satisfaction. Thank you!

livesoft

Re: Minimalist May

Post by livesoft » Tue May 02, 2017 10:03 am

My friends take me to lunch, so I don't have to pay, but I'm still a minimalist. :)

Yesterday, I worked out, then walked the dog and met 6 people I knew and chatted before 9 am. One of them, I had met 40 years ago and we are still friends. Then I mowed the yard. Then I rebalanced my portfolio. Then I went to lunch (see above), Trader Joe's, the library. Then I booked airfare for my trip to Canada later this year, but I paid with a voucher I got from being voluntarily bumped last year, so that still qualifies as minimalist. In the evening, I watched the Rockets just absolutely stomp the Spurs.
Last edited by livesoft on Tue May 02, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 02, 2017 10:16 am

I've been mushroom hunting. I eat them for free but could sell them for $100/lb. This time a year we attend a lot of spring outdoor concerts by local musicians, all free. Also, just about every community I've ever lived in or near publishes a list of activities that are going on in the week or days to come. I sign up by email, which is free of course, and it is full of ideas.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Tue May 02, 2017 10:17 am

Some free things I like to do is donate blood and volunteer at a local animal shelter.

jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke » Tue May 02, 2017 11:22 am

Local parks are always a good idea for killing some time and potentially enjoying yourself. Some state/national parks also.

Community events are often free. These can include a large variety of things from art exhibits to concerts depending on where you are. https://www.eventbrite.com/ is one resource that collects events based on location and lists the prices. There are others that you can find with a google search of "free stuff to do in XYZ" with XYZ being your location.

If you're already paying for the internet, there are many free games, books, movies, videos, etc online that can help you enjoy countless hours if you enjoy any of those type things.

While not "free", you can start and grow your own vegetable garden for next to nothing if you have the space and a "normal" yard. Bonus - tasty food that you've grown yourself!

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue May 02, 2017 11:22 am

May is peak migration season for birds in our area. We go birdwatching 2-3 days per week.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Tue May 02, 2017 11:49 am

You could volunteer to work, without contributing money, for any local organization you support, social, religious, or political.

May is getting toward the end of the academic year, so maybe, and I recommend this, you could relax your rule slightly to attend music and theatre performances and sporting events at the nearest high school. That should be cheap and it helps your community.

PJW

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue May 02, 2017 5:17 pm

If you'd be interested in some space-themed strategy gameplay, the FreeOrion folks just released a new version:

http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Main_Page
This week's fortune cookie: "The stock market may be your ticket to success." I sure hope so!

rob

Post by rob » Tue May 02, 2017 5:32 pm

Check for local hangouts/meetups.... I have found a few on areas of my interest that are free.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

nymeria.stark

Post by nymeria.stark » Tue May 02, 2017 5:37 pm

dh wrote:Dear Boglehead Friends,

I am decided to do a experiment this month. While, I am not willing to deprive myself of the joys of eating nutritious food and taking good care of myself, I want to see how little I can spend on "extras." I have decided to not eat out, not spend money at the theater, nor spend money to attend live events. So, I turn to all of you for ideas on free things to do in may. I have already started a list of free activities to fill my month and enjoy the company of others. My list includes, walking in the park, taking out a few books and DVDs at my local library, perusing the local paper for free events at the library, and journaling more frequently. Please reply with other free things you do that provide moments of satisfaction. Thank you!

There's always a dog at the local shelter who would enjoy those walks in the park with you! :D

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue May 02, 2017 6:13 pm

Spend time learning a foreign language at Duolingo. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

anil686

Post by anil686 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:29 pm

Walking with my dog is always near the top of my list (I do buy frisbees every few years to replace the worn out ones so I left dog frisbee off the list).

I really enjoy reading e-books from the library - our library now has a large selection.

Napping is also one of my favorite hobbies - can't ever seem to get enough nap time in :happy

TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Tue May 02, 2017 6:50 pm

Free audiobooks and ebooks from your public library (OverDrive)
Catch up on your cleaning and yardwork!

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Tue May 02, 2017 6:55 pm

I am not a minimalist but I guess live like you want to try. Except for going to NY to see my 90 year oldmother twice a month and take her to a Mets game as I did last week.... I never eat out because I don't want to, I walk daily as I can't run anymore, I read like a fiend and I relax. I eat as healthy as you might imagine and do not spend a lot of time cooking as I microwave everything. Oh yes, I have spent the insanely low price of $120 for a subscription to MLBTv which gives me every baseball game played. I am in NJ but now watching Tampa Bay at Miami. It's easy to not spend. But, don't deprive yourself. I don't but i just that I don't have expensive tastes.

Post by 123 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:03 pm

We enjoy going to an astronomy lecture once a month by the local astronomy club. Good for a little mental exercise. We find the live lecture much more involving then just watching a science program on TV. It's free.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

cholan

Post by cholan » Tue May 02, 2017 8:19 pm

If you are close to a college/university, especially a big one, you can find lectures/exhibitions/some old movies/concerts etc.
...leaving not a rack behind.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Tue May 02, 2017 8:25 pm

123 wrote:We enjoy going to an astronomy lecture once a month by the local astronomy club. Good for a little mental exercise. We find the live lecture much more involving then just watching a science program on TV. It's free.

I do the same, it really is great to learn new things about the universe.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

MarkyMark

Post by MarkyMark » Tue May 02, 2017 9:45 pm

If you haven't yet, try geocaching.

Zott

Post by Zott » Tue May 02, 2017 9:48 pm

I try to be minimalist, and do many of the things on your list. I would recommend joining a gym, if you haven't already. You can find them as low as $10/month, go a few times per week, get fit, and enjoy yourself (at least I do).

GrandMasterBlaster

Post by GrandMasterBlaster » Tue May 02, 2017 10:46 pm

Disc golf! It's got all the upside of golf without the greens fees, dress codes, or tee times. If you're not familiar, the game has the same rules as golf except that instead of hitting a ball with clubs through a course and into a hole, you throw a specialized frisbee through courses of varying terrain and into a basket with chains to catch the disc. It's a very easy game to learn and requires a minimal startup cost. Most regular players acquire a stable of discs comparable to a set of golf clubs, but you can play with a basic beach frisbee if you really want to keep it low-cost. There are courses all over, and they are almost always free! You can search for courses here: https://www.pdga.com/course-directory.

You can also get a free account at chess.com, which features videos, lessons, and the chance to challenge all Bogleheads to battle!

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Tue May 02, 2017 10:52 pm

dh wrote:taking out a few books and DVDs at my local library

Many libraries have audio books check outs through an App called Overdrive. I quite enjoy them, especially for commuting.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue May 02, 2017 11:33 pm

Volunteer at local library, hospital, local Habitat for Humanity office or build site. There are also schools, churches and other organizations looking for volunteer tutors for middle and high school kids in multiple subjects. These efforts will cost little or nothing but the fulfillment you will gain in giving back and contributing to the community is priceless.