Great knife for slicing limes and raw potatoes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Great knife for slicing limes and raw potatoes

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue May 02, 2017 7:25 am

Any recommendations? I'm considering just getting one knife or buying a whole set because my set is showing it's age

wilked

Re: Great knife for slicing limes and raw potatoes

Post by wilked » Tue May 02, 2017 7:30 am

Has your set been sharpened?

I use a chef's knife to cut those items. I have two

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/victorin ... fe/s247314
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/wusthof-c ... nife-p1601

I find them both to be very good, but they do require sharpening. Obviously the Victorinox is the better value

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Tue May 02, 2017 7:31 am

I would recommend either a chef's knife or santoku. As long as you keep it sharp it and avoid the dishwasher it should be fine. Make sure the length feels good to you as does the grip. I personally prefer wooden handles as I think I get better grip, but others prefer plastic.

Here's a guide buy one of my favorite writers - http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/equi ... guide.html

jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke » Tue May 02, 2017 7:33 am

Knives are very "personal taste" imo. What feels perfect for one person is awkward and unwieldy to another. Any sharp knife will cut limes or potatoes. The real question is which feels "right" to you. I recommend going and handling a bunch of knives to find one (or a set) that feels right for you.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Tue May 02, 2017 7:37 am

I use a chef's knife to cut potatoes and a paring knife to cut limes/lemons. I sharpen them regularly.

Here are my daily use knives:
Chef's knife:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076 ... UTF8&psc=1

Paring knife:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008M ... UTF8&psc=1

awval999

Post by awval999 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:40 am

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenIQ-50009- ... +sharpener

Are you sure you just don't need a $6 knife sharpener? We have a $100 block of Target knives. They dull, but sharpen them once every other month and they can cut limes and potatoes!

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Tue May 02, 2017 7:43 am

I use one knife for everything -- a Chinese cleaver. When properly sharpened, it can cut through anything from bone to limes, and can fillet a fish with ease.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 02, 2017 8:20 am

For slicing any vegetables or fruits where you end up with large thin slices, I prefer a knife that is hollow ground. They are the divots along side of the blade edge that prevent the slices from "sticking" to the knife.

I went through several brands of knives trying to find some that stayed sharp before I figured out that it really wasn't the knife brand but trying to keep them sharp after they became dull the first time that was my main problem. I tried all kinds of sharpeners but eventually found one that is essentially bomb proof and produces a extremely sharp edge every single time and only takes about 15 seconds to perform. I use it on my cheap knives and my expensive knives and it works great. If I had a dollar for every time someone used to dull kitchen knives has cut their fingers using my knives, I would be at least $12 richer or perhaps more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007 ... UTF8&psc=1

onourway

Post by onourway » Tue May 02, 2017 8:27 am

I like inexpensive asian carbon steel knives. They don't tend to be as rigid as traditional european or American style knives, but they take a heck of a blade and are easy to sharpen with a decent stone. You can buy them expensively from the fancy cooking shops, or for $20-50 at your local asian market.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Tue May 02, 2017 9:09 am

tech_arch wrote:As long as you keep it sharp it and avoid the dishwasher it should be fine.
I'd like to challenge the general statement about not putting knives in the dishwasher if you want them to remain sharp. Knife sharpness has nothing to do with an automatic dishwasher, per se.

As long as the knife is secured in such a way that nothing other than moving water touches the cutting edge, there should be no imbued dullness.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

brito11

Post by brito11 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:17 am

You can go into one of those fancy cooking shops such as Sur La Table and try out different knives. I like the santoku personally because of its versatility, although I've read that Asian knives can take some time to get used to (I've always used Asian knives). The Tojiro DP is a great santoku at a great price.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:22 am

BolderBoy wrote:
tech_arch wrote:As long as you keep it sharp it and avoid the dishwasher it should be fine.
I'd like to challenge the general statement about not putting knives in the dishwasher if you want them to remain sharp. Knife sharpness has nothing to do with an automatic dishwasher, per se.

As long as the knife is secured in such a way that nothing other than moving water touches the cutting edge, there should be no imbued dullness.
I think it is also bad on the knife if it has a wood handle. And I don't think the dullness is from hitting other things. I think it is from the abrasiveness of the detergent.

My dishwasher rules are no wood, nothing sharp, nothing nonstick.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:25 am

I use a chef's knife for just about everything including cutting limes or potatoes. The only other must have knife to me is a serrated for things like bread. I do also have a paring knife and boning knife but rarely use them.

I like Victorinox, Wusthof Trident, Chicago, Henckels and have found them all to be pretty good without costing an arm and a leg. I'm not one to spend $200 on a knife.

onourway

Post by onourway » Tue May 02, 2017 9:28 am

BolderBoy wrote:

America's Test Kitchen found that the simple act of putting a knife in and out of a wood knife holder regularly dulled knives surprisingly quickly. In the dishwasher the knife is subjected to high pressure which means it will be repeatedly working against the surfaces it's situated in. I can't see how that wouldn't dull a knife.

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Tue May 02, 2017 9:29 am

BolderBoy wrote: I'd like to challenge the general statement about not putting knives in the dishwasher if you want them to remain sharp. Knife sharpness has nothing to do with an automatic dishwasher, per se.

I'm not sure how one would secure a knife in such a fashion, though.

A quick search led to the following reasons to not use a dishwasher:
* http://www.thekitchn.com/3-ways-you-may ... ves-189296 claims the detergent is more abrasive
* https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/ques ... ishwashers claims Wüsthof-Trident advises the water pressure knocking the knives against the rack can damage the blade. I'd speculate this is probably more about nicking the blade or nudging it out of alignment which would mean more honing
* Personal experience: wooden handles get ruined by the amount of water and heat in a dishwasher

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue May 02, 2017 9:40 am

onourway wrote: America's Test Kitchen found that the simple act of putting a knife in and out of a wood knife holder regularly dulled knives surprisingly quickly. In the dishwasher the knife is subjected to high pressure which means it will be repeatedly working against the surfaces it's situated in. I can't see how that wouldn't dull a knife.
I'm going to call BS on Americas test kitchen for that. There is no way lightly dragging a knife in and out of a wooden block makes any practical difference on your edges when you cut dozens or even hundreds of times on pretty much the same surface. Could it take some bite out of a super sharp knife? Absolutely. Do you need to maintain your edge to the level where you can even test if it gets duller going in and out of a block? Most likely not.

Dishwasher detergent is also corrosive which even though most blades are stainless could still corrode the micro cutting edge down a little bit. But dinging or chipping and handle damage is probably a greater concern.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Tue May 02, 2017 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 02, 2017 9:43 am

BolderBoy wrote:

I stopped putting my knives in the dishwasher when I lost the second rivot in the set. The higher temperatures are hard on knives when metal and wood expand at different rates. I haven't ever lost a rivot hand washing them.

onourway

Post by onourway » Tue May 02, 2017 9:44 am

barnaclebob wrote:
I'm going to call BS on Americas test kitchen for that. There is no way lightly dragging a knife in and out of a wooden block does more to dull it than cutting on pretty much the same surface.
Of course cutting dulls it, but if you have the option, store it without resting it on its blade.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_to ... fe-storage

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Tue May 02, 2017 9:44 am

tech_arch wrote:
BolderBoy wrote: I'd like to challenge the general statement about not putting knives in the dishwasher if you want them to remain sharp. Knife sharpness has nothing to do with an automatic dishwasher, per se.

Maybe my dishwasher is special (Bosch), but I can lay my good knives horizontally on a small rack above the top rack, blade up, none touching each other or anything else.
* http://www.thekitchn.com/3-ways-you-may ... ves-189296 claims the detergent is more abrasive
Still have to hone knives, no matter what.
* Personal experience: wooden handles get ruined by the amount of water and heat in a dishwasher
This I believe and have seen it on my lesser quality knives. My $200 and up knives have superior "wooden" handles and show no dishwasher wear.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue May 02, 2017 9:48 am

onourway wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:
I'm going to call BS on Americas test kitchen for that. There is no way lightly dragging a knife in and out of a wooden block does more to dull it than cutting on pretty much the same surface.
Of course cutting dulls it, but if you have the option, store it without resting it on its blade.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_to ... fe-storage
Yeah but this is a trivial test that does not mimic real life use. A better test would have been pulling it out, making 10 cutting strokes on a cutting board and then putting it back vs storing on its spine and doing the same 10 strokes. I can bet you there would have been no measurable difference in how fast it failed their test that way.

Independent George

Post by Independent George » Tue May 02, 2017 9:55 am

There are only two knives you really need - a 10" Chefs Knife or Santoku (user preference), and a 3" paring knife; 99% all kitchen tasks (including the two mentioned by the OP) can be accomplished efficiently between the two them. The difference between a $40 Chefs Knife and a $200 one is marginal; a professional Chef will notice the difference, but most home cooks won't use it enough for it to matter much. A $40 knife and a good electric knife sharpener will be more useful than a $200 knife by itself.

Do not ever buy an expensive knife block set, no matter how awesome it is. You will use the two knives I listed above 99% of the time, while the rest will be expensive decorations. I know this first-hand, having celebrated paying off my college debts by purchasing an 8-piece Wusthof knife block set. The only other knife I ever use is the bread knife, which is no better than a $10 version. I will never be upset about having Wusthofs (because they are awesome), but really, most of them go unused.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue May 02, 2017 10:06 am

onourway wrote: America's Test Kitchen found that the simple act of putting a knife in and out of a wood knife holder regularly dulled knives surprisingly quickly. In the dishwasher the knife is subjected to high pressure which means it will be repeatedly working against the surfaces it's situated in. I can't see how that wouldn't dull a knife.
I simply put my knives into the block with the cutting edges facing up. The cutting edges only come into contact with sides of the openings and that doesn't seem to dull them at all. Using knives on a plastic or wooden board dulls them noticeably over time, anyway. Cutlery should never be put in the dishwasher or left sitting around dirty or moist.
ThankYouJack wrote:Any recommendations? I'm considering just getting one knife or buying a whole set because my set is showing it's age
What's your budget? You can certainly get by with just chef's and paring knives as suggested, but a small set is much more versatile. I have this set (didn't pay anywhere near that much for it though) https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classic- ... B003MU9F4W and consistently use all of them. If you don't have good shears, you would be surprised at how useful they are. Don't get too cheap and buy a chef's knife that is too small for your hand and it's really best to test various knives yourself at the store to see how they feel.

Japanese knives have become very popular but they require more care than most people will give them.

Professional chefs that I have known have all used cheap knives from restaurant supply stores with one-piece plastic handles, but they keep them sharp and well-honed and replace them on a regular basis as they wear out. The one-piece handles don't harbor bacteria like riveted handles on a full-tang knife do and they don't disappear like expensive knives do.

Since you are looking for a paring knife, you might want to go with that type of cheaper knife. If you look on Amazon, you will see that they can be inexpensive and still do a great job, you just can't expect them to last forever.

https://www.amazon.com/HENCKELS-INTERNA ... B000N8R27S

https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culinary- ... B001EN2L1I
Last edited by Pajamas on Tue May 02, 2017 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

mrc

Post by mrc » Tue May 02, 2017 10:14 am

Independent George wrote:There are only two knives you really need - a 10" Chefs Knife or Santoku (user preference), and a 3" paring knife; 99% all kitchen tasks (including the two mentioned by the OP) can be accomplished efficiently between the two them. The difference between a $40 Chefs Knife and a $200 one is marginal; a professional Chef will notice the difference, but most home cooks won't use it enough for it to matter much. A $40 knife and a good electric knife sharpener will be more useful than a $200 knife by itself.

Do not ever buy an expensive knife block set, no matter how awesome it is. You will use the two knives I listed above 99% of the time, while the rest will be expensive decorations. I know this first-hand, having celebrated paying off my college debts by purchasing an 8-piece Wusthof knife block set. The only other knife I ever use is the bread knife, which is no better than a $10 version. I will never be upset about having Wusthofs (because they are awesome), but really, most of them go unused.
This is my experience over 30 years in a kitchen as well. I occasionally use a good boning knife but I could live without it. I used an 8" chefs knife for a long time, but find a 10" much more convenient. Current set of three are all Wusthof Ikon series. Combined with a steel (used daily), these are the best knives I've ever used.

Edit: I see now these are "Classic" Ikon -- rounded handles are a great improvement over the more square Wusthof "Classic" line.
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:17 am

BolderBoy wrote:
tech_arch wrote:

Maybe my dishwasher is special (Bosch), but I can lay my good knives horizontally on a small rack above the top rack, blade up, none touching each other or anything else.
Still have to hone knives, no matter what.
This I believe and have seen it on my lesser quality knives. My $200 and up knives have superior "wooden" handles and show no dishwasher wear.
Does your dishwasher use detergent? Detergents have abrasives that dull knives. BTW, I have what sounds like the same dishwasher and put that top rack in the garage as I found it pretty useless.

You are putting a $200 knife in the dishwasher??

CABob

Post by CABob » Tue May 02, 2017 10:51 am

Knives are kind of a personal thing. There are a number of good quality knives available. My advice would be to not go cheap and try it out for feel before you buy. We have had a set of Chicago wood handled knives for about 30 years. They were US made but I'm not sure Chicago is US made any more. The multi-knife sets in a wood block are nice but you may find that a couple of knives do most of the work. Storing the knives is very important and a wood block with the blades up or to the side is critical. Also pay attention to the surface you are cutting on. Wood or plastic cutting boards are good, ceramic plates or platters are not.
I agree that knives in the dishwasher, especially wood handled, is not a desirable practice but our knives do occasionally go into the dishwasher when I am particularly concerned with sanitation.
I don't want to steal this conversation, but has anyone used ceramic knives? I have some and they won't replace steel knives that do a pretty good job for some things such as slicing vegetables or soft meats.
Bob

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue May 02, 2017 10:57 am

CABob wrote: I don't want to steal this conversation, but has anyone used ceramic knives? I have some and they won't replace steel knives that do a pretty good job for some things such as slicing vegetables or soft meats.
Yes, I was given a ceramic knife, but I dropped it on the floor and it shattered. I wouldn't pay for one after that until there are some real advances in the technology. If you look at all the lower-rated reviews on the particular ones that you linked to, you will see similar complaints about blades chipping or crumbling.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue May 02, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks all. My current knives are lower end Henckels that we've been very happy with for 10+ years but haven't done much maintenance with them. So sharpening would definitely help, but I just took a look at the steak knives with serrated edges are quite dull too. Seems like sharpening those properly would be tricky, plus my wife would prefer 8 and not 6 steak knives. I found a previous thread on knife sets and seems like Chicago Cutlery was recommended so I may go with something like: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H ... _i=desktop

We could spend more, but we're not the best at taking the time to care for things so wouldn't want to go high end and have to be concerned about damaging it (like not putting them in the dishwasher).

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 02, 2017 12:46 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:So sharpening would definitely help, but I just took a look at the steak knives with serrated edges are quite dull too. Seems like sharpening those properly would be tricky,
The electric sharpener I mentioned above does serrated knives easily.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:52 pm

Independent George wrote:There are only two knives you really need - a 10" Chefs Knife or Santoku (user preference), and a 3" paring knife; 99% all kitchen tasks (including the two mentioned by the OP) can be accomplished efficiently between the two them. The difference between a $40 Chefs Knife and a $200 one is marginal; a professional Chef will notice the difference, but most home cooks won't use it enough for it to matter much. A $40 knife and a good electric knife sharpener will be more useful than a $200 knife by itself.

I agree the only knives you really *need* are a chef's knife and a paring knife, but, we use all of our knives regularly, except the boning knife probably gets used only about once a month, because we don't cook with many cuts that require it, and the utility and paring knives would both suffice for the same purpose.

Our set didn't come with a bread knife. Add-on's are one of the places they get you on pricing, but we were given the matching bread knife for Christmas. Our old budget bread knife immediately went in the donation box. Night and day difference.

For potatoes in particular, I like the scalloped blade on our santoku because they stick less to the blade.
ThankYouJack wrote: I found a previous thread on knife sets and seems like Chicago Cutlery was recommended so I may go with something like:
Last I heard, Chicago had abandoned all pretenses of quality and was coasting on their name reputation alone.

I used a garage sale Chicago chef's knife for about 5 years while I was on my own. It was probably decades old and was fine. I'd be hesitant to buy them new based on what I've heard elsewhere.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:55 pm

Also, just in case anybody is curious, the As Seen on TV "Miracle Blade" knives are the worst knives I have ever used. A relative I visited often had a set, so I used them whenever I cooked there. Flimsy blades, mostly dependent on serrated edges, difficult to cut straight, bad ergonomics. I'd have been better off just bringing along my Leatherman.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Tue May 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Nowadays, use this knife for almost everyday needs

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss ... inox+knife

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Tue May 02, 2017 1:12 pm

bluebolt wrote:I use a chef's knife to cut potatoes and a paring knife to cut limes/lemons. I sharpen them regularly.

Chef's knife:

Paring knife:
I'll second the Victorinox paring knife. I've used them for years. I think they were recommended by America's Test Kitchen at one point as very satisfactory alternatives to ones costs many times as much. I've got at least 5 and think nothing of putting them in the dishwasher.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue May 02, 2017 1:53 pm

lthenderson wrote:
ThankYouJack wrote:So sharpening would definitely help, but I just took a look at the steak knives with serrated edges are quite dull too. Seems like sharpening those properly would be tricky,
The electric sharpener I mentioned above does serrated knives easily.

I just found the current set I have - https://www.amazon.com/International-Fi ... e+edge+pro

I may get the sharpener too, but considering it costs more than the knife set and the age of the set, I think it's worth upgrading the knives first.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue May 02, 2017 1:57 pm

ThankYouJack wrote: I may get the sharpener too, but considering it costs more than the knife set and the age of the set, I think it's worth upgrading the knives first.
Actually its probably best to buy the sharpener first so you can practice with it on the cheaper knives and practice your honing technique. Then just upgrade the knives you use most.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 02, 2017 2:16 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
ThankYouJack wrote: I may get the sharpener too, but considering it costs more than the knife set and the age of the set, I think it's worth upgrading the knives first.
Actually its probably best to buy the sharpener first so you can practice with it on the cheaper knives and practice your honing technique. Then just upgrade the knives you use most.
Looking back with 20/20 vision, I would have bought the sharpener first rather than trying various qualities of knives and all the blocks, steels, and pull through sharpeners I have bought over the years. I even sharpened some ridiculously cheap knives on the thing and the owners are always amazed at how sharp they come out.

dk240t

Post by dk240t » Tue May 02, 2017 2:28 pm

Still trying to figure out what meal OP only needs to cut limes and potatoes for...

CABob

Post by CABob » Tue May 02, 2017 2:53 pm

dk240t wrote:Still trying to figure out what meal OP only needs to cut limes and potatoes for...
Lime and potato casserole? :twisted:
I use a boning knife more often than a chefs knife. Which goes back to my original reply of it being a very personal decision.
Bob

SleepKing

Post by SleepKing » Tue May 02, 2017 3:01 pm

This may result in a downpour of comments, but we use CUTCO knives and really enjoy them. Although a bit biased, we have some that are almost 20 years old from when I sold it as a summer gig; they still look great and function like new when sharpened. French Chef's knife and Santoku are fantastic for your potatoes. The 4" parin would do the lime. I love the full and petite size carvers for anything from small roasts, to prime rib, to 18lb turkeys. The table knives are fantastic.

Everything goes into....gasssspppp.... the dishwasher. Comes out fine. If there are any water marks/spots a towel wipe cannot remove, a little bit of Barkeeper's friend wipe down does the trick. The dishwasher use is key for our family lifestyle.

We use a wood block for storage. Over the years, CUTCO has honored their lifetime guarantee and replaced severely worn pieces, like the SuperShears, some table knives, ice cream scooper (DO NOT put that one in the dishwasher).

Best luck,

Sleepy

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue May 02, 2017 5:24 pm

dk240t wrote:Still trying to figure out what meal OP only needs to cut limes and potatoes for...
Lime and sparkling water. Potato fries. Just two things I've been cutting a lot where my knives are struggling.
SleepKing wrote:This may result in a downpour of comments, but we use CUTCO knives and really enjoy them.
My parents bought a pair of cutco steak knives over 20 years ago. I think they refinanced the house to pay for them. With that said, they are amazing knives and they still use them today. Not sure I want to spend that much for a cutco set, but if I get really into cooking I may eventually.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Tue May 02, 2017 5:32 pm

My wife likes her Wusthof knives.

She likes the paring knife.

I prefer the chef's knife.

Teague

Post by Teague » Tue May 02, 2017 5:50 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
...Potato fries...
Mandoline. Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-M ... B0000DAQ8B
Semper Augustus

Woodshark

Post by Woodshark » Tue May 02, 2017 6:02 pm

heartwood wrote:
bluebolt wrote:I use a chef's knife to cut potatoes and a paring knife to cut limes/lemons. I sharpen them regularly.

Chef's knife:

Paring knife:
I'll second the Victorinox paring knife. I've used them for years. I think they were recommended by America's Test Kitchen at one point as very satisfactory alternatives to ones costs many times as much. I've got at least 5 and think nothing of putting them in the dishwasher.
Same here. The Victoinox is my go to knife for limes and I use it almost every day. At less than $10 it is a bargain and sharpens easily. That and a 6 or 8 inch Henkel chef knife and you are good to go. An occasional swipe across a honing rod works wonders.

ByThePond

Post by ByThePond » Tue May 02, 2017 6:40 pm

onourway wrote:
BolderBoy wrote:
America's Test Kitchen found that the simple act of putting a knife in and out of a wood knife holder regularly dulled knives surprisingly quickly. In the dishwasher the knife is subjected to high pressure which means it will be repeatedly working against the surfaces it's situated in. I can't see how that wouldn't dull a knife.
I take a hint from our Japanese friends and slide my blades into the block edge up, on their backs. That's how nihonto ("samurai swords" ) are sheathed. It protects the edges very well.

+1 on not putting wood-handled knives in the dishwasher.

Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker » Tue May 02, 2017 7:37 pm

I bought two plastic handled, commercial, Santoku knives at Costco. They were sold two to a pack for I recall about $23. I'm still using the first one and it works well for the price. Otherwise, I use a 8" classic Wustof Chef's knife as my primary.
Unfortunately, common sense is uncommon...

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue May 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Woodshark wrote:
heartwood wrote:

Chef's knife:

Paring knife:
Same here. The Victoinox is my go to knife for limes and I use it almost every day. At less than $10 it is a bargain and sharpens easily. That and a 6 or 8 inch Henkel chef knife and you are good to go. An occasional swipe across a honing rod works wonders.
Lots of recommendations for the Victoinox so I'll give it a try. I'm guessing the straight edge will be better than the serrated one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067 ... PDKIKX0DER) for limes?

TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Wed May 03, 2017 8:30 am

ThankYouJack wrote: Lots of recommendations for the Victoinox so I'll give it a try. I'm guessing the straight edge will be better than the serrated one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067 ... PDKIKX0DER) for limes?
For general-purpose and ease of sharpening, I go with straight edges, but I do remember the staff at my favorite watering hole cut their lemons, limes and oranges with a serrated edge.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed May 03, 2017 10:53 am

TerryDMillerMBA wrote:
ThankYouJack wrote: Lots of recommendations for the Victoinox so I'll give it a try. I'm guessing the straight edge will be better than the serrated one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067 ... PDKIKX0DER) for limes?
For general-purpose and ease of sharpening, I go with straight edges, but I do remember the staff at my favorite watering hole cut their lemons, limes and oranges with a serrated edge.
Thanks, I wound up picking up one of each and a sharpener. I'm sure it'll be a big improvement and I doubt I'll be disappointed for the price.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Wed May 03, 2017 5:47 pm

I realize OP already made a purchase, but Wusthof makes good knives. This is the line they produce for commercial kitchens.
PJW

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Wed May 03, 2017 6:01 pm

Teague wrote:
ThankYouJack wrote:
...Potato fries...
Mandoline. Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-M ... B0000DAQ8B
+1

Last year, I purchased a stainless steel mesh cutting glove since I use my mandolin so much. The professional grade glove was almost $100 which is cheap compared to hospital visits and stitches.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:24 pm

I hate sharpening knives, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the ceramic knives I got 3 years ago. I have 1 paring knife (smallish) and 1 smallish chef knife. Since I got them, I haven't used any of my other 20 knives. They're still razor sharp. Just don't drop them (they'd shatter/chip) :?