Roomba or competitor?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
soccerdad12

Roomba or competitor?

Post by soccerdad12 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:50 am

A friend of mine let me stay at his awesome beach house for a week for free. I want to buy him a Roomba for his generosity. He doesn't want anything at all (that is the kind of guy he is), but I insist. Sweeping the floor there is a bit of a pain, but is a must do b/c going in and out all of the time tracking in grass and sand.

I have settled to buy him a robot vacuum. I wanted to see if anyone had experience with the newer Roomba's. There are old threads from 2015 here, but I think the vacuums are much improved these days.

Anyone with experience with Roomba can tell me which one is the best bang for the buck?

I was considering Roomba 650, but since that is the least expensive, not sure if that is the best bet.

Also, there are a lot of competitors to Roomba these days. Anyone have experience with Neato, Eufy or iLife? There are reviews on amazon, but I trust people here way more as they are similar to me in wanting quality.

Thanks in advance!

whodidntante

Re: Roomba or competitor?

Post by whodidntante » Mon May 01, 2017 12:12 pm

Roomba has the strongest brand recognition. Anything else will be "like a roomba."

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Mon May 01, 2017 12:15 pm

We had a Roomba about 6-7 years ago. I suppose it worked fine, but I found emptying the very small dust bin and cleaning the rollers to be more work than just getting out a normal vacuum or broom and doing it manually. I also vacuum or sweep a room in a few minutes, where the Roomba took hours. I sold mine on Craigslist and haven't missed it at all.

Similarly, we had a robotic lawnmower given to us about 9 years ago. It also failed to provide a level of service that I found acceptable and was given away.

Maybe he would appreciate a nice bottle of whiskey or something similar that can be enjoyed without becoming a permanent fixture in his house?

pochax

Post by pochax » Mon May 01, 2017 12:24 pm

we got the roomba 805 from costco when it was on sale around christmas time and it has been fine for us. my DW is very meticulous and picky when it comes to cleaning and it seems to satisfy her enough (i bought it from costco on the chance that she wouldn't be happy with the quality of the cleaning and would have to return it because of their flexible return policy). it is not smartest thing on the planet but even if it does 90% of what it's supposed to do, it's worth the time saved (we have a medium-sized house ~3400 sqft if you include the basement). i can't speak to the off-brand robots which are much more inexpensive but some time on the amazon customer reviews will probably highlight any pain points.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Mon May 01, 2017 12:24 pm

The Sweethome ended up recommending a Eufy model. http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-robot-vacuum/

I bought a Neato four years ago when it and Roomba were the only serious competitors. I will probably be replacing it soon because I want something less obnoxiously loud. It also gets stuck in dumb locations often enough to be annoying. I limit the frequency I run it to avoid bothering the downstairs neighbors in my condo, but if it gets stuck half the time, that becomes a problem. The tech has advanced enough that it's probably time for me to replace it.

Even so, it was well worth the money since I can't be bothered to break out a broom nearly often enough to satisfy my desire for clean floors.

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Mon May 01, 2017 12:38 pm

We also have the Roomba 805 from Costco. It works well enough, and it's nice to let it do its thing in a few rooms while we're doing something else. It does a good job cleaning our floors, which are mostly tile.

Caveats:
* I find it maddening to watch since it goes in a seemingly random pattern. I would've expected a simple grid pattern.
* You do have to clean it out after each run. It's easy, but can take a few minutes. Empty the bin, clean the filter, clean the sweeper and brushes of tangled hair, etc.
* Depending on the floor plan, you might want to get extra beacons for it. The beacons help confine it to certain areas for targeted cleaning, otherwise it just goes all over.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:01 pm

My son says he likes his Neato and says that it was more budget friendly than the Roomba.

I have a cheaper Roomba and one in the 800s. I like the 800 one much better, and I believe I spent more than 800 to get it.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Mon May 01, 2017 3:34 pm

I have an iLife (don't remember which model) which cost $179 on Amazon and which has good (but short-term) reviews. I love, love, love, it, but I have reached the age where regular vacuum cleaners with their cords and hoses have become a source of irritation and dread of tripping.

I clean the robot frequently and thoroughly, but for me that's now easier than dealing with a regular vacuum. When I was younger, I might have found the frequent clean-outs more bothersome than just gliding along with a regular vac. Life changes.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Mon May 01, 2017 3:49 pm

I'm on-again/off-again researching robot vacuums. Have learned some new ones are self-emptying---vacuum in docking station empties robot's small bin into docking station's larger bin, which you then clean out at less-frequent intervals. This new feature bumps price significantly. No decision yet.

In for the ride.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Mon May 01, 2017 5:13 pm

We have the roomba 650 and it works great. I don't vacuum or sweep so it works well enough to keep the house clean in between my housekeepers two week visits. The issue with the roomba is that it is very loud. Like maddeningly loud and it bangs into things...a lot- adding to the commotion. I usually have it vacuum upstairs when I am downstairs and downstairs when I am upstairs. It can not be in the same room with me at all. For the noise and for the fact that it contains a motion/object sensor. My husband would turn it on in the kitchen while I was clearing and washing dishes. Invariably the stupid robot kept heading in my direction and ending up in between my legs repeatedly. I stopped using it for a short time after we got it for those two reasons. One I got the bright idea to have it work in one area while I was in the second did I bring it back to everyday use. It also has a programmer so you can set it to work at 2am and when the battery is low it will find its way back home to the base. Having said that I have been woken up at 2am thinking a clumsy intruder was in our house if I leave the bedroom door open.

I have considered getting the 805 because of the battery life. It would be nice for it to do all four bedrooms upstairs in one run. Takes two to three runs currently. Im also hoping the 805 is a quieter than what I have now.

It seems to me you either love it or hate it. Expensive gift if your friend turns out to be a non-believer. I second the alcohol gift idea. I hate to buy people things I'm not 100% confident they will use.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Mon May 01, 2017 7:59 pm

H and I have 2 Roombas. Each of our adult kids also has a Roomba. We prefer Roombas from Costco, so we can return if we have any problems and the price is relatively reasonable.

We have been able to get parts as needed from eBay, Amazon and Bed Bath & Beyond at relatively adorable prices as well. We haven't tried the other brands. We like the ability to schedule the Roomba, that it reruns to the home base charging station and would recommend it.

One issue is it is nice if your furniture is at least 3-4 inches off the floor so the Roomb :idea: a doesn't get stuck going under it to clean.

pochax

Post by pochax » Tue May 02, 2017 9:05 am

HIinvestor wrote:H and I have 2 Roombas. Each of our adult kids also has a Roomba. We prefer Roombas from Costco, so we can return if we have any problems and the price is relatively reasonable.

We have been able to get parts as needed from eBay, Amazon and Bed Bath & Beyond at relatively adorable prices as well. We haven't tried the other brands. We like the ability to schedule the Roomba, that it reruns to the home base charging station and would recommend it.

One issue is it is nice if your furniture is at least 3-4 inches off the floor so the Roomb :idea: a doesn't get stuck going under it to clean.
"adorable" - that's a new one :wink:

tnbison

Post by tnbison » Tue May 02, 2017 10:43 pm

Our Eufy robovac 11(first robot vac) is arriving tomorrow. I'll post an update after a week or so.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue May 02, 2017 11:38 pm

Roomba was a disappointment. No real AI of any sort built in, just randomly runs in a direction until it hits something then circles if possible and sets off in another random direction. Gets stuck under some of the furniture. Tiny dirt bin. Lots of fussing around cleaning rollers and lots of other little parts.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Wed May 03, 2017 12:09 pm

I bought a roomba two years ago.

Super irritating in terms of noise on hardwood floors, frequent emptying out and recharging.

I replaced it with a $100 cordless, bagless vacuum cleaner and haven't looked back.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Wed May 03, 2017 2:33 pm

beach house? The sand might be too heavy for vacs to pick up.

We recently got a samsung powerbot. There are a million different models, we got the "wifi essential" which goes for around $500. there are more powerful models that go over $1000 in price, the main differences up from there are you get more powerful suction, and the top of the line model can be ordered to go clean a specific room from phone app.

We've only run it a few times so far.

the navigation seems pretty smart, it can make it around the 6 rooms on our ground floor. it even made it under our bed, worked around shoes, went out the other side, and then worked its way back under the bed and kept going. And it finds its way home.

The climbability is pretty good. It can make it over tile thresholds and some rubberized floormats in our kitchen. It gets over thinner floormats okay.

i cannot make it over a shag rug in the kids room, it treats it like an obstacle.

One time it managed to make it into a bathroom, and then close the door on itself, trapping itself.

One time it got tangled on a hand towel that the dog left by its bed.

you can set a time for it to run each day. Unfortunately it's not a per day schedule (so it can't take weekends ofF).

It's quite loud. about as loud as a regular vacuum. and this isn't even the model with super suction.

i should update when we get home this afternoon to see how it did on its next unattended trial :)

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:49 am

I have a Costco roomba 805

It moves around randomly, but does dock itself for a recharge when it's done.

Don't buy a 600 series. 800 or above have rollers that don't clothes
I wish I bought 960, because the roomba gets lost if I let it do more than a couple rooms and can't find it's way back to the dock

Still, I only have to do regular vacuuming every 4 months or so
IT-DevOps System Administrator

tnbison

Post by tnbison » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:30 am

tnbison wrote:Our Eufy robovac 11(first robot vac) is arriving tomorrow. I'll post an update after a week or so.
So we've had our Eufy for a month and have only picked up a broom a few times. Where as before we were manually sweeping every few days at least. This thing is an awesome tool for the money.

DippityDoo

Post by DippityDoo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:59 am

LOVE my Neato! Travels in a regular pattern. Always finds its way back to base. Long lasting battery.

Fiat lux

Post by Fiat lux » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:46 pm

Can we get an update on the alternatives to the Roomba like Neato and Eufy?

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:25 pm

I got a Roomba 870 2 years ago. After 18 months it developed the "melted charging contacts" problem and would no longer dock reliably. Since it was out of warranty, iRobot would not fix it and would only offer a discounted replacement (for about the price of a new 805 from Costco).

I replaced it a few months ago with a Neato D3. We still use the Roomba on our second floor but we have to dock it manually.

Here are some points of comparison.
1) Scheduling is much easier for the Neato. It is easy to disable the schedule when we are away on vacation. With the Roomba I had to completely clear the schedule before leaving and then re-enter everything when I returned.
2) Neato cleaning pattern is more deliberate. It maps out each room and then goes back and forth to cover all areas. Roomba is a random pattern.
3) Neato battery life for our particular model is less than the Roomba. Neato makes up for this by automatically recharging when necessary and then resuming where it left off.
4) Neato app shows a map of where it cleaned on the last cycle, which is kind of cool.
5) Our particular Neato model came with crappy "standard" filters which are hard to shake the dust from. After a month or so we replaced them with the high performance filters that are standard on more expensive Neatos.
6) Neato is slightly taller, so we have some furniture it can't get under which the Roomba could.
7) Neato sees the skirts on our couch as obstacles, so it won't clean underneath. Roomba would just bounce its way underneath and clean there.
8) Our particular Neato model does not have a side brush. The side brush is not as critical for the Neato as it is for the Roomba, since the Neato brushes cover almost the entire width of the unit.
9) Roomba came with "virtual walls" to fence off areas you don't want to clean. Neato requires you to lay down magnetic strips for such areas.

Overall we like the Neato better.

BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:08 am

Used to have Roomba. Now have Neato and much prefer the smarter cleaning of the Neato. Slightly louder but cleans much faster
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:30 am

I started a thread a few months ago. Lots of diverse opinions.

viewtopic.php?t=226823