Microsoft, I want my computer back!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
nedsaid

Microsoft, I want my computer back!

Post by nedsaid »

I have experienced great frustration with odd things happening with my computer. I will be typing and all the sudden my keyboard stops working. It seems that something in Windows 10 is always updating, my modem goes crazy and my hard drive light is going crazy too. On the post before this one, I had to reboot three times. What is going on?

This is the thing I hate about Windows 10. Always updating. Hard drive light is always on. I don't seem to have control of my own machine anymore. Hello Microsoft, I would like my computer back.
Is what I am doing so interesting that you have to spy on me constantly?

Weird, weird, weird. I had to reboot again to finish this post.
A fool and his money are good for business.
mhalley

Re: Microsoft, I want my computer back!

Post by mhalley »

This does not sound like normal win 10 behavior. How would win 10 make the modem " crazy"? I would run antivirus and malwarebytes.
You also might check the hard drive for hardware problems. Are you running out of hd space?
https://www.maketecheasier.com/check-ha ... h-windows/
http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-1 ... -hard-disk
If this all fails to fix rhe problem, do a reset of windows.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-res ... l-scratch/
Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 »

I have windows 10 creators update and I don't have any of these issues
Systems Engineer
Topic Author
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

I reinstalled the keyboard driver and that didn't help. I am doing a virus scan on the computer.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

reboot??
clear your cache??
Maybe Microsoft doesn't like your new 'Doo ... :shock:
Topic Author
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Rebooted multiple times. Cleared the cache. Reinstalled the driver for the keyboard. I may just go buy another keyboard. Had this happen several years ago and a new keyboard did the trick. Scanning for viruses and malware too.
Topic Author
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

mhalley wrote:This does not sound like normal win 10 behavior. How would win 10 make the modem " crazy"? I would run antivirus and malwarebytes.
You also might check the hard drive for hardware problems. Are you running out of hd space?
https://www.maketecheasier.com/check-ha ... h-windows/
http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-1 ... -hard-disk
If this all fails to fix rhe problem, do a reset of windows.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-res ... l-scratch/
I have gobs of hard drive space. Am scanning computer now with Malwarebytes. Scanned with anti-virus.
baritone

Post by baritone »

My best friend is a big PC guy. He's having constant problems similar to those you describe. I'm a Mac guy. No problems. He doesn't want to hear about it.
just frank

Post by just frank »

Good luck tracking down the problem Ned. I hear Win 10 is better than earlier systems security-wise, but of course its all relative.

I'm a Mac guy and actually installed some anti-virus stuff last week, ran a scan and got rid of a couple little things...'Mac Cleaner', that I knew about.

My last experience with anti-virus software and malware on my Mac was 1988! :shock:
mouses

Post by mouses »

Can you run Windows Task manager (cntl alt delete) and see what process is snarfing up resources?
fishboat

Post by fishboat »

Win 10 on two machines, all the latest updates in place, old hardware and software, no issues...and I have a fast, though no where near a blistering fast connection to the web(no hardwire connections where I live..use a cell phone hotspot).

You can set up preferred hours where you're active on the machine (12 hr max-total, I think) and updates will work around them. There's so much 'value' hardware out there, and so many points of failure in the whole process of running a computer, including operator error..your issues may be the operating system, though odds-are it has a equal chance of being something else in the chain. As for jumping on Win 10 in a post before you've checked for viruses and malware, or faulty hardware, connections..etc....?? Check your Task Manager to see what the machine is doing..is your CPU or memory at 100%?..check your Reliability Report..any hints?..could be threads to pull..
chw

Post by chw »

Ned, I had this issue using the Internet Explorer browser, because of all the ads running In the browser in the background. At the time there was no free ad blocker for I.E. so I switched to Firefox with an ad blocker, and problem was solved. Hopefully this works for you.

When I read your caption, I was hoping you didn't have ransom ware. My elderly father went thru a scam involving it recently- he received a message on his computer to call "Microsoft" to get his computer unfrozen. Unfortunately this was scam.
mouses

Post by mouses »

chw wrote:Ned, I had this issue using the Internet Explorer browser, because of all the ads running In the browser in the background. At the time there was no free ad blocker for I.E. so I switched to Firefox with an ad blocker, and problem was solved. Hopefully this works for you.
I have chrome tying stuff up often. I only use it when there are websites that Firefox handles badly. I think part of the problem with chrome is that I tab off things I mean to read, so there are a lot of tabs, and chrome automatically lets videos play while I have firefox set up to not do this. It is one of my annoyances with the NY Times that they have some method of playing videos that I can't stop, so they just drain the machine resources.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

My youngest was complaining that Windows 10 was constantly replacing his software drivers. It would happen weekly. Inevitably he would have to spend time rolling them back. Nothing he did stopped the intrusion. He got so fed up that when he came home from spring break he let me load a Linux distribution onto his precious laptop. No complaints thus far.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

malware bytes
Look in your ad/remove programs list and see if there's anything recent added that you didn't add and delete it
I don't run win 10, but 7. Can you turn off windows updates? It was an essential step for win 7.
run the free avast anti virus

From some of the other descriptions here, it sounds like win 10 is son of vista which pretty much brings any computer to its knees reporting back to microsoft everything that your computer is doing.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I have 3 desktops running Windows 10 in my household and don't see any of these issues; however, I do have a laptop that is slow as you describe. My son, who knows more about this stuff than me, says that the combination of 4GB of RAM plus an older hard drive running at 5400rpm is much of the problem on the laptop.

I don't know how old the computer is but It is possible that you are running a marginal configuration / hardware for Windows 10 and that is part of the cause.
Higman

Post by Higman »

mouses wrote:Can you run Windows Task manager (cntl alt delete) and see what process is snarfing up resources?
This might give you the biggest clue. When the problem occurs, run Task Manager and check for the heaviest disk and CPU user. Hopefully you can break into whatever is running and get to the Task Manager. I had similar issues under Windows 7 and it was due to a bug in Norton Security writing to a log file continuously.
fishboat

Post by fishboat »

Higman wrote:
mouses wrote:Can you run Windows Task manager (cntl alt delete) and see what process is snarfing up resources?
This might give you the biggest clue. When the problem occurs, run Task Manager and check for the heaviest disk and CPU user. Hopefully you can break into whatever is running and get to the Task Manager. I had similar issues under Windows 7 and it was due to a bug in Norton Security writing to a log file continuously.
I use to run my machines flat out with cpu at 100% for hours(days at some points) at a time and memory near 100%..the task manager will respond even with this intense use..it just takes a while for the asked-for task to get into the que to run. Do a ctrl-alt-delete once and wait..it'll respond. Win 10 task manager is nicer than Win 7. Very few people seem to use the Reliability Report..lots of good info in there.

As for Norton..it's been many years, but when I ran Norton and had issues..it turned out Norton itself was the problem. It's security checks & optimizations reduced the machine to an unusable mess. Lots of folks had similar issues. At this point, running an updated MS OS, MS Defender, and Malwarebytes Premium..good to go.
Last edited by fishboat on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Try running adwcleaner.

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdown ... dwcleaner/

This is the best program I've found for finding malware.
Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 »

I'd suggest doing a Windows refresh. It will keep your home directory data, but otherwise reinstall Windows.
Systems Engineer
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

I wouldn't be to quick about blaming MS. Many apps on today's computers can and do grab the PC and off they go. First of all check your back up schedule and make sure it's not during your peak time of usage. Check that you anti virus isn't in the middle of an intense scan. And do administrative tools check your drive for errors.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

nedsaid wrote:I have experienced great frustration with odd things happening with my computer. I will be typing and all the sudden my keyboard stops working. It seems that something in Windows 10 is always updating, my modem goes crazy and my hard drive light is going crazy too. On the post before this one, I had to reboot three times. What is going on?

This is the thing I hate about Windows 10. Always updating. Hard drive light is always on. I don't seem to have control of my own machine anymore. Hello Microsoft, I would like my computer back.

How old is the computer? what kind of specs?

Never had any of that stuff happen on my MacBook Pro or iMacs I've owned over the last 10 years.
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

Are you certain Microsoft is the problem?
No such things are going on with my Win 10 machine.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
midareff

Post by midareff »

I run Win10 with Malwarebytes Premium and Malwarebytes Anti-exploit (and the Win10 Defender) with no issues and use Firefox with Adblock. You might set your updates to only provide notification rather than automatic updates. With that you can see exactly what they are planning to update.

BTW, are any of your ancillary devices (keyboard, mouse) battery powered. If so try a new set of batteries before you look further.
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

I don't think Microsoft is interested in your computer nor are they conducting daily updates. :oops:

I have Win 10 and use Firefox and have nothing even close to what you are experiencing.
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

nedsaid wrote:I have experienced great frustration with odd things happening with my computer. I will be typing and all the sudden my keyboard stops working. It seems that something in Windows 10 is always updating, my modem goes crazy and my hard drive light is going crazy too. On the post before this one, I had to reboot three times. What is going on?

you need to do some reading on Win 10 on privacy, how to enable/disable apps etc.

One item of interest you'd learn from reading is to disable Win 10s peer-to-peer download feature whereby your computer is used to update other peoples computers, people you don't even know. :confused

https://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to ... -internet/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/ ... stems.html

also wondering how dated your hardware/laptop is, unless you have a new machine that's moot.

Do reading on applications before just 'deleting' them. Wouldn't want to delete something vial to system function.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
covertfantom

Post by covertfantom »

I also want to mention that Windows does alot of optimizations in the background when you're not using the computer. It will do things like pull often used applications into unused memory - so while you may hear alot of clicking from the hard drive, it is not necessarily an indicator of poor performance. The real question is whether it feels slow to you.

I would probably to a Windows 'reset' where it takes your computer and takes it back to how it would have looked if you just got it from the factory. It will remove all of your applications and your files, so you will need to back up everything on a SEPARATE cloud/hard drive. This option is the only way to say for sure you're not experiencing a hardware failure and it's also the only 'guaranteed' way of removing all of the malware that may be impacting you.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=windows+1 ... ORM=CHROMN
cantos

Post by cantos »

Getting tired of the Microsoft/windows slamming from uninformed users.

I'll believe this is a Microsoft/windows problem when you reformat everything and do a clean install. Until then, say hello to malware city and the phrase "user error".

Windows 10 is one of the best OSes they've ever come out with. Maybe THE best since the jump to XP.
Topic Author
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

One problem is that I took my tower into Office Depot because I had minor configuration problems with the printer. Just purchased a new printer. The tech used a Bluetooth for the mouse and keyboard. When I got home, I took the Bluetooth out. My mouse, keyboard, printer, etc. all plug into the machine with USB Ports. I think the computer thinks the Bluetooth is still in there. It really got bad last night after I brought the machine home.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

You can disable the Bluetooth adapter. That is what I have done with my desktop.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

What I am also running into are the updates for anti-virus, etc. that are automatic. I think what I was experiencing was mostly related to the tech having run my machine with a Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard.
Topic Author
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

jebmke wrote:You can disable the Bluetooth adapter. That is what I have done with my desktop.
Wow. Thanks. How do I do that?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

In W10, go to Settings. Type in the search box "Bluetooth" -- you should see a screen that shows several setting options including Bluetooth - click to Bluetooth and it should give you a little slider to turn Bluetooth off.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
cjking

Post by cjking »

I remember in the distant past sometimes being annoyed by Windows 10 updates taking control of my computer, but it's a long time since it's been an issue. I think it might have been me setting active hours under update settings that solved the problem, by forcing updates not to happen at times of day that I'm likely to be using the computer.
Topic Author
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

cantos wrote:Getting tired of the Microsoft/windows slamming from uninformed users.

I'll believe this is a Microsoft/windows problem when you reformat everything and do a clean install. Until then, say hello to malware city and the phrase "user error".

Windows 10 is one of the best OSes they've ever come out with. Maybe THE best since the jump to XP.
Windows 7 was great. Windows 10 transition actually went pretty well. I did notice minor problems with printing afterwards. What I don't like is all the stuff that happens in the background. Updates, etc. The loss of control is what is frustrating.

I have used Windows Operating Systems since Windows 3.1. I have run 95, 98, 98 Second Edition, XP, 7, and 10 on my machines. I even remember the MS-DOS days. Not totally uninformed. I liked all the OP systems. 98 caused issues because Internet Explorer was "always on" and thus took more memory. Went back to the store for more memory. 98SE was the best of the OS built on top of MS-DOS. XP was great and I ran it a long time. Did a lot of work to do a clean install of 7 when upgrading from XP. Followed the directions from Microsoft and there were relatively few tears. Windows 10 just showed up one morning after leaving my computer on all night.

I actually think the Microsoft products are good, I also am a big Office user. It is just that the users are experiencing less and less control and the feeling that you are being constantly monitored. I like to own my stuff and I am getting uncomfortable with the subscription services. It seems like everyone knows better than I and the programs just seem to do what they want at times. It is just frustration.

I scanned with anti-virus and with Malwarebytes. No viruses or malware.

I have been able to type a lot this morning. I wonder if the issue has taken care of itself. Last night, I would have had to reboot 4-5 times to get all this posted. It went from a problem that showed up every one in a while to one that showed up every few lines of text.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

baritone wrote:My best friend is a big PC guy. He's having constant problems similar to those you describe. I'm a Mac guy. No problems. He doesn't want to hear about it.
+1
apple has its own set of issues (outrageous prices, incompatibility with other ecosytems, arrogance). But in general their stuff works.
i have no regrets about leaving windows behind forever
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Topic Author
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

jebmke wrote:In W10, go to Settings. Type in the search box "Bluetooth" -- you should see a screen that shows several setting options including Bluetooth - click to Bluetooth and it should give you a little slider to turn Bluetooth off.
I did that and the "airplane mode" screen came up. It looks like it is in the "on" position meaning that all wireless is shut off. Under "Wireless Devices" it said "We couldn't find any wireless devices on this PC." It looks like the issue took care of itself.

I may yet buy a new keyboard and mouse. Eventually the peripherals get outdated as Operating Systems advance. My old printer, mouse, keyboard all date back to my XP days.

Computers are pretty complex systems. There can be configuration issues that show up, not surprising with the infinite combinations of hardware and software. It is probably amazing that Windows works as well as it does having to work with all kinds of hardware and even home built computers.

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. Typing like crazy this morning and so far so good.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I have found that my W10 sometimes has keyboard lag. I have a wireless keyboard (new) on a new desktop. Internet searches have offered a few suggestions, none of which have worked. It be something inherent in W10 that doesn't give the KB priority.
Topic Author
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

F150HD wrote: you need to do some reading on Win 10 on privacy, how to enable/disable apps etc.

One item of interest you'd learn from reading is to disable Win 10s peer-to-peer download feature whereby your computer is used to update other peoples computers, people you don't even know. :confused

Nedsaid: Uggh. I guess that is what they meant by the "cloud". I thought it was just servers but it sounds like it is individual PCs as well. I would like my computer back please.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to ... -internet/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/ ... stems.html

also wondering how dated your hardware/laptop is, unless you have a new machine that's moot.

Nedsaid: The machine was built with Windows 7 in mind. The years go by fast, I think I must have had it built in 2010 or 2011. I did clean install Windows 7 in March 2014. At the latest, the machine was built in 2012. So the machine is 5-7 years old. That is likely an issue too.

Do reading on applications before just 'deleting' them. Wouldn't want to delete something vial to system function.

Nedsaid: Yes, I am aware of this and I am careful. Google and Bing are pretty much my technical support. Only have had to take my machine into the Computer Geek Guys a couple of times to solve something I couldn't. Once, the guys that built my machine removed a virus that I couldn't. The other time was last night at Office Depot to get my printer configured.
Topic Author
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

jebmke wrote:I have found that my W10 sometimes has keyboard lag. I have a wireless keyboard (new) on a new desktop. Internet searches have offered a few suggestions, none of which have worked. It be something inherent in W10 that doesn't give the KB priority.
This does happen from time to time but not a problem. I also notice when I "control-alt-delete" to bring up task manager that it can take a bit of time for it to come up. There was be a lot of stuff happening in the background.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

I'm having similar issues with Windows 10. Basically, 100% hard drive use reported in task manager and some update related jobs constantly running. I've searched for solutions and others are having similar issues, with few resolving them, but many not finding adequate relief. The computer is pretty much unusable.
Topic Author
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

I checked the update feature where my machine could be used to update others' machines and I found it was turned off. I know that I consulted articles on Windows 10 privacy and I must have turned it off.
This is what I mean, a lot of stuff just gets set by default and no one asks for permission. You have to go in and opt out.

Again, it appears that my problem resolved itself overnight.
wander

Post by wander »

I once upgraded to Win10 from Win7. My first impression was: What the heck, it suspected my license was not genuine. I was so happy that I were still able to restore Win7. Now, I am a happy Win7 user until it gives up.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

nedsaid wrote:I checked the update feature where my machine could be used to update others' machines and I found it was turned off. I know that I consulted articles on Windows 10 privacy and I must have turned it off.
This is what I mean, a lot of stuff just gets set by default and no one asks for permission. You have to go in and opt out.

I have the peer-to-peer update system turned off as well; actually, I have update shut off entirely for now - I'm waiting to let someone else test the new feature update before I install it. But I am intrigued by peer-to-peer for use at my TaxAide sites. Properly implemented it could speed up the update process for a network of W10 machines. We are at W7 right now but I suspect they will move to W10 soon. The P2P update functionality can be tuned to only work with machines inside your own network I believe.
Topic Author
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

jebmke wrote:
nedsaid wrote:I checked the update feature where my machine could be used to update others' machines and I found it was turned off. I know that I consulted articles on Windows 10 privacy and I must have turned it off.

I have the peer-to-peer update system turned off as well; actually, I have update shut off entirely for now - I'm waiting to let someone else test the new feature update before I install it. But I am intrigued by peer-to-peer for use at my TaxAide sites. Properly implemented it could speed up the update process for a network of W10 machines. We are at W7 right now but I suspect they will move to W10 soon. The P2P update functionality can be tuned to only work with machines inside your own network I believe.
Yes, I did see that you could limit the peer to peer sharing to a local network. Actually, in a world of ethical, moral, and upright people this would be a cool feature. Unfortunately, this also creates a vulnerability to hacking and other such mischief.

By the way, I had to reboot again. Just went to Office Depot and got a new mouse and keyboard. Hopefully that will solve the problem. It has hard to find something that still attached to UBS Port. So much stuff is wireless now.
Last edited by nedsaid on Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ged

Post by Ged »

inbox788 wrote:I'm having similar issues with Windows 10. Basically, 100% hard drive use reported in task manager and some update related jobs constantly running. I've searched for solutions and others are having similar issues, with few resolving them, but many not finding adequate relief. The computer is pretty much unusable.
I have had this problem with a low end laptop. Eventually I think I tracked it down to Windows having a corrupted registry that would cause updates to fail. This recycling of update attempts led to periods of time where the computer was unresponsive due to excessive hard drive activity.

This behaviour is 100% due to a bug in a previous update supplied by Microsoft. If you are lucky and patient like I was you can sort through the various technical bulletins from MS and find the patch the fixes your issue. Otherwise pretty much the only fix is to reload Windows.

It's a pretty vile problem that I think Microsoft hasn't properly addressed.
Higman

Post by Higman »

nedsaid wrote:
jebmke wrote:I have found that my W10 sometimes has keyboard lag. I have a wireless keyboard (new) on a new desktop. Internet searches have offered a few suggestions, none of which have worked. It be something inherent in W10 that doesn't give the KB priority.
This does happen from time to time but not a problem. I also notice when I "control-alt-delete" to bring up task manager that it can take a bit of time for it to come up. There was be a lot of stuff happening in the background.
What did you find with Task Manager? What was the CPU, disk and memory usage?

In task manager click on the performance tab. They you can take a deeper dive by clicking on "open resource monitor" (at bottom of window). Then click each tab and sort on usage.
Topic Author
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Higman wrote:
nedsaid wrote:
What did you find with Task Manager? What was the CPU, disk and memory usage?

In task manager click on the performance tab. They you can take a deeper dive by clicking on "open resource monitor" (at bottom of window). Then click each tab and sort on usage.
Thanks for the tip. CPU usage is low, zero to three percent. Memory is at 48%, disk and network usage are zero. It appears that I have a memory issue.

I went to the store and got a new keyboard and mouse, this seems to have resolved the issue. Had a similar issue years ago, did the same thing and that resolved my problem. I think what happens is that old peripherals work less and less well as operating systems advance. I noticed that my scanner didn't work the same after the Windows 10 update and there were minor issues with the printer. Starting having intermittent issues with the keyboard and they got much worse last night. Started having problems with the mouse.

At some point, I will have a new computer built or at least have the old one updated. Next will come the monitor and the speakers. First things first. Pretty much the old stuff gets to where it doesn't work with updating Operating Systems. My computer is 5-7 years old, I think it is more like seven years.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

One of the things I have found with W10 is that sometimes the drivers that W10 installs automatically for older peripherals (mainly our older printers and a printer/scanner) don't work quite right. In some cases, I had better luck installing new drivers from the peripheral manufacturer.
sambb

Post by sambb »

i like win 10, but macs are even easier for these issues.