[Southwest] Airlines Rapid Rewards Dining

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bogleviewer

[Southwest] Airlines Rapid Rewards Dining

Post by bogleviewer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:55 pm

We use to fly South West all of the time..... back in the day when their fares were better than everyone else. In the past 7 or 8 years we rarely fly them as they generally aren't the lowest fare and we don't the cow herding atmosphere. In any event, the last flight was 23 months ago and I read that rapid reward points expires after 24 months. I did a little digging and it looks like you can register on their rapid rewards dining website with your rapid rewards number and add your FULL CREDIT CARD NUMBER for each credit card you want to be part of the program. If you dine at a restaurant that is on the dining list then you'll get points and this can be used to keep your rapid rewards account active without losing points.

Sounds interesting... if you are already eating at a restaurant and they are on the list might as well get a few points and in this case reset the 24 month clock. But then I started thinking..... how are they doing this?

There are plenty of "affiliate" programs online and it is easy to track someone with cookies and sessions online. But me signing up for something online, and then going physically to a restaurant and dining is a totally different manner. I went through their privacy policy and it said that they will use the full credit card number provided of your credit card(s) to access your records.

Why would American Express, Discover, Visa, etc comply with such requests? When registering on SW Rapid Rewards dining website it doesn't ask me to sign any documents allowing the release of my statements to them. As they say, usually when you get a product for free you are the product. Should I be worried? I could really care less if South West Airlines knows where I shop and eat, but it is a different matter if they get my credit limit, any history, payment history, where the payments come from, etc.

Kinda creepy. What are your thoughts?

LifeIsGood

Re: SW Airlines Rapid Rewards Dining

Post by LifeIsGood » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:26 am

I have no idea how this program works. All I know is that it allowed me to keep 25,000 points active for another 2 years. I was literally down to losing the points in 24 hours when I found out about Dining Rewards. A quick meal out that night and all was good for another 2 years.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:38 am

Interesting idea. Unfortunately, in my area, just about the only restaurant participating is Wendy's, and I'm not so fond of their burgers that I'm willing to load up just to pump up my frequent flyer miles. (I'm sure my doctor would agree. :twisted: )
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

4th and Inches

Post by 4th and Inches » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:13 am

It's not rocket science. It's not a scam. Just sign up and get some points. You are overthinking it.

John Z

Post by John Z » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:37 am

I assume the restaurant runs the numbers through Southwest and if your credit card matches, you get the miles. The restaurants have to have something in place with Southwest to capture the card numbers. Works for me.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:54 am

John Z wrote:I assume the restaurant runs the numbers through Southwest and if your credit card matches, you get the miles. The restaurants have to have something in place with Southwest to capture the card numbers. Works for me.
The company that operates the SW Dining program is RewardsNetwork (formerly iDine). They operate this system for many loyalty programs, not just Southwest.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rewards_Network

You can sign up different cards for different programs. An easy way to keep account balances alive if you live in an area with a lot of restaurants (where I live right now there is exactly one). Restaurants that are part of the network are either relatively new and in need of building a clientele or mediocre establishments that need to give people a reason to dine there.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:46 am

I use these programs to reset expiration dates. I never actively seek out one of these places to dine, but make a small order for delivery from one of the local restaurants if an expiration date is approaching. It is a lot cheaper and easier than buying points, booking a hotel stay, booking and canceling a flight, etc.

I have an account in the dining programs for:

United Airlines
American Airlines
Southwest Airlines
Alaska Airlines
IHG

You can have a debit or credit card registered with only one program at a time.

My advice is to keep a card you never use on each of the accounts, and then you are free to move around your regularly used card between programs. It can really mess up the system if you only have one card registered to a particular program, then register that card with a different program. It leaves the other program with zero cards and might automatically close your account, without recognizing that your frequent flier number is no longer in use with an active account.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:15 am

Ketawa wrote:
My advice is to keep a card you never use on each of the accounts, and then you are free to move around your regularly used card between programs. It can really mess up the system if you only have one card registered to a particular program, then register that card with a different program. It leaves the other program with zero cards and might automatically close your account, without recognizing that your frequent flier number is no longer in use with an active account.
The site used to give you an error when you tried to register a card with a program X if it was already signed up with program Y. Is that no longer the case?

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:19 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Ketawa wrote:
The site used to give you an error when you tried to register a card with a program X if it was already signed up with program Y. Is that no longer the case?
For as long as I have had them (a couple years), it registers with program X and automatically removes it from program Y. I don't think I have ever received an error.

Beth*

Post by Beth* » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:45 am

I have belonged to the United Dining program for years. There is no downside as far as I have ever seen. I don't pick my restaurants based upon the program, but periodically I discover that I happened to eat at a restaurant affiliated with the program and miles get deposited in my account. It is absolutely hassle free.

tfb

Re: [Southwest] Airlines Rapid Rewards Dining

Post by tfb » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:48 pm

bogleviewer wrote:Sounds interesting... if you are already eating at a restaurant and they are on the list might as well get a few points and in this case reset the 24 month clock. But then I started thinking..... how are they doing this?
Easy. Participating restaurants send all charges to the program administrator or third-party matching service. Matched purchases get rewards. Easier still is the Rapid Rewards shopping portal. You can buy online for in-store pickup at Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc. There is no minimum purchase. The points post in a day or two. That extends the life of your existing RR points.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

Marylander1

Re: [Southwest] Airlines Rapid Rewards Dining

Post by Marylander1 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:09 pm

Back when I had a stash of United Airlines miles, their credit card dining program was extremely helpful for preserving the points until I was able to redeem them. (Since United has fallen from a high-quality airline to a low-quality, "we charge extra for everything" airline, I've stopped using them except when absolutely necessary.)

Just be aware that, for any credit card signed up for these programs, your entire purchase history (not just participating restaurants) is sold to data vendors.

-Marylander1