7 car noises you should never ignore

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
arcticpineapplecorp.

7 car noises you should never ignore

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:46 pm

thought this might be of interest since there's many questions about cars at this site. To keep it actionable, taking care of your vehicle when you hear these things can save you :moneybag in the long run, even though it will likely cost you :moneybag initally.

https://www.geico.com/more/driving/auto ... gn=apr2017
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

barnaclebob

Re: 7 car noises you should never ignore

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:56 pm

For whatever reason i get a growling noise from my front brakes but the pads and rotors are fine but I'm almost due for a pad change.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:57 pm

The warning about "squealing" brakes might alarm people who don't know certain models (wheel designs) of cars are more prone to accumulating brake "dust" which also causes loud squeals. My Honda Accord is particularly good at this, esp when backing out my driveway in reverse.
That tells me it is time to get out the garden hose, the bucket, the sponge, the soap, brush and all the other stuff to avoid more dirty looks from the neighbors..... :oops:

jesscj

Post by jesscj » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:16 pm

A lot of brake noise comes from cheap pads, squealing, grinding, roughness,ect. Good pads can make a difference. Also if you have ever have your rotors resurfaced and the rotors where not cleaned well,the dust particles from resurfaced rotors will embed in pads which can also cause noise.
"Gonna Make It"

prudent

Post by prudent » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:03 pm

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.

squirm

Post by squirm » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:19 pm

I do brakes on our cars, lately I've been using oem pads, along with getting rotors turned. Don't seem to have issues.
Our Gator is making lots of brake squealing noises lately, should be interesting fixing those.
Our Saturn makes noise from the rear of the car, but it's such a pos I'm not putting any time into it.

keaton

Post by keaton » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:40 pm

Personally it's use the cheapest pads and rotors and can find. The only rule if ceramic! I have personally been a mechanic for years in an indempendant shop. As long as you stick with ceramic and don't get your greedy fingers on the rotors, your good. I have had years of excellent service out of cheap brakes.

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:42 pm

Visual inspections are important as well. Check for cracked or worn belts, cracked or aged hoses, fluid leaks, tire tread depth, tire pressure, head, exterior lights.

Teague

Post by Teague » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:10 pm

If I hear any unusual noise I will investigate it very soon or immediately. Same with unusual vibrations, or any other abnormal behavior by the vehicle. I will, however, generally ignore even severe whining from the passenger or back seat areas.
Semper Augustus

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:52 am

I'm very noise sensitive, so anything that's out of normal range gets on my nerves enough to be looked at in short order. So far, it's always been minor, like when a long, narrow leaf was sucked into a fan and kept rattling on every rotation like a playing card in a bicycle spoke. I've learned about the importance of proactive car maintenance through counter-example from my dad, who has ignored warning signs on engines and transmissions enough times to ruin three cars in my lifetime.

Harley BenV

Post by Harley BenV » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:59 am

Well, this article is surely helpful. I had this brake squealing issue in my previous Toyota Corolla Sedan that I sold last year, it was a 2013 model fully loaded but I was having this brakes issues since day 1. As the year passed and I drove almost 10k kilometers, brake problems were quite apparent than ever before. Some mechanical fault or adjustment issue that was causing squealing of the brakes, however, dirt was not the problem.

The car had this issue since manufacturing. Got a redeem too on that car for brakes problem but it was unsolvable. So after driving it 25k in 3 years, I sold it. Got a new one and Thank God it's perfect. Amazing drive and almost as soundless as a rat squealing in an ocean :mrgreen:

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:03 am

#1 is absurd--not the definition by the recommended course of action. How incompetent does one need to be that a visit to the mechanic is required to find out if a lug nut is loose or missing?

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:06 am

jesscj wrote:A lot of brake noise comes from cheap pads, squealing, grinding, roughness,ect. Good pads can make a difference. Also if you have ever have your rotors resurfaced and the rotors where not cleaned well,the dust particles from resurfaced rotors will embed in pads which can also cause noise.

Yep, pads make a big difference. The brake feel on my wife's Honda Pilot was always very soft (typical of Honda's) so in an effort to improve it at one pad change I put high performance hawk pads on it. That improved the overall feel but they had a very abrupt grab/breakaway so if you didnt feather the pedal just right coming to a stop they made an obnoxious creaking sound that would would think meant something was realllllllly wrong.

Got tired of that eventually and switch to low noise ceramic pads. problem solved...

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:14 am

Can I ignore my wife who sits in the passenger seat and makes noises at me?

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:39 am

drawpoker wrote:The warning about "squealing" brakes might alarm people who don't know certain models (wheel designs) of cars are more prone to accumulating brake "dust" which also causes loud squeals. My Honda Accord is particularly good at this, esp when backing out my driveway in reverse.
That tells me it is time to get out the garden hose, the bucket, the sponge, the soap, brush and all the other stuff to avoid more dirty looks from the neighbors..... :oops:
I have owned a lot of Hondas and in the last decade, it has seemed to me that they are extremely sensitive to types of brake pads. I have put on everything from the cheapest to the most expensive and unless I put on OEM pads, I almost always get squealing brakes, often in reverse only. I have given up and now call the brake places in advance to make sure they carry the OEM pads before I bring it in or I just don't go there. I hate driving around town with squealing brakes.

nymeria.stark

Post by nymeria.stark » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:16 am

ponyboy wrote:Can I ignore my wife who sits in the passenger seat and makes noises at me?
You CAN, but there might be some long-term damage as a result. :D
Just a girl, standing in front of her finances, asking them to make more sense.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:20 am

nymeria.stark wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Can I ignore my wife who sits in the passenger seat and makes noises at me?
I know when I get a "growling" sound from the front seat that it's time to stop at the next roadside facility.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

c078342

Post by c078342 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:11 pm

I'd add a 0. Anything sounding like metal on metal. Know this from experience with Porsche IMS failure.

Post by 2015 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:41 pm

bengal22 wrote:
nymeria.stark wrote:
I know when I get a "growling" sound from the front seat that it's time to stop at the next roadside facility.
Deep sighs of frustration from SO on my right are always scarier than any red light on the dash. Immediate evasive action is always required.

I'll add: squealing noises coming from tires when making a turn...you're probably going too fast and tire pressure is too low (personal experience with a Honda Civic!). Also, any ongoing thumping noises...you may be driving on a flat.

sls239

Post by sls239 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:51 pm

"I don't feel good."

Danzangdc

Post by Danzangdc » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:40 am

Teague

Post by Teague » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:13 am

There's one sound there titled "STARTING BRAKE IN EXHAUST."

What on earth is a starting brake, and how the heck did it get in my exhaust?
Semper Augustus

Ron

Post by Ron » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:18 am

Number 8:

Fasten seat belts chime...

- Ron

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:26 pm

Not very useful because the description of the noises is... what it is. If they'd accompanied the articles by recordings, it would be a great article.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.