Bed comforter for spring / summer / fall in Maine

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Boston Barry

Bed comforter for spring / summer / fall in Maine

Post by Boston Barry »

How does one select a down comforter for a bed? I am in need of six (three twin, three queen) for a summer cottage in Maine. There are literally dozens from which to choose online - from Ikea ($99-150) to Feathered Friends ($460) and everything in between. Can't seem to find any reliable information about the differences. Obviously want to save as much money as possible but also need to stay comfy and warm, and want them to last for decades not years. Any advice?
sport

Re: Bed comforter for spring / summer / fall in Maine

Post by sport »

This is always a good place to start a search. https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?ke ... ageSize=96
I have found Costco products to be high quality and a very good value.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Boston Barry wrote:How does one select a down comforter for a bed? I am in need of six (three twin, three queen) for a summer cottage in Maine. There are literally dozens from which to choose online - from Ikea ($99-150) to Feathered Friends ($460) and everything in between. Can't seem to find any reliable information about the differences. Obviously want to save as much money as possible but also need to stay comfy and warm, and want them to last for decades not years. Any advice?
When we furnished vacation rental properties (including one with many beds, for large extended families, etc.), we faced this issue.

We ended up selecting relative cheap (not just inexpensive, but yes, cheap) comforters.

But we then also purchased duvet covers for each comforter, and those were what were washed regularly. (We laundered the covers after each rental.)
The comforters held up very well, despite heavy use.

BTW, not only did this save wear and tear on the comforters themselves, but finding a way to wash thick comforters (including those of large sizes, like queens and kings) was not going to be trivial, as they didn't really fit well even in our large capacity top-loading washer and dryer.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine »

Boston Barry wrote:How does one select a down comforter for a bed? I am in need of six (three twin, three queen) for a summer cottage in Maine. There are literally dozens from which to choose online - from Ikea ($99-150) to Feathered Friends ($460) and everything in between. Can't seem to find any reliable information about the differences. Obviously want to save as much money as possible but also need to stay comfy and warm, and want them to last for decades not years. Any advice?
I have purchased from Macy's (their brand) and LL Bean. The oldest is about 30 years old, the newest about 15. Both retailers offer discounts. Right now Macy's is running a 30% off just about everything sale (on-line & free shipping over a certain price)if you have their credit card. I might say that the LL Bean duvet that I have is of slightly higher quality, but was also slightly more costly. I don't think there are bargains with down comforters. You get what you pay for. Do not go cheap (Ikea!). It is not worth it.

I would also tend to go one one step higher then you think you might need in terms of warmth.

The down alternatives have never been very satisfactory to me. The are never as easy as real down to wrestle into comforter covers and they do not have the wonderful combination of lightness and warmth that down supplies.

Quality duvet covers are also a bit pricey. For Maine, I might go with flannel all year round, but then I use down in Hawaii. :D Garnett Hill seems to have the best quality with their heavy weight Portuguese or German flannel and it often goes on sale.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

I like https://thecompanystore.com , specifically the lacrosse comforter in various weights. LL Bean is the same idea and almost as good.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

Christine_NM wrote:I like https://thecompanystore.com
Agreed. Also Costco, when they're there. I like all of ours but can't remember which came from which of the two places... Don't go too warm.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
freckles01

Post by freckles01 »

have you considered a wool filled or silk filled comforter vs down?

i switched from being a long time down comforter user to a washable wool filled comforter this winter and its been perfect!

i'm talking about los angeles winters but in a drafty old home, no heat in bedroom kind of winter. gets to about low 40's outside. did supplement with a cashmere throw for the coldest nights though.

down isn't easily washable, the drying process can take a long time and didn't fit in my front load washer. plus the idea of dust buildup was making me anxious and sneeze-y. i hate dry cleaning anything.

my washable wool filled comforter feels ever slightly heavier than the down comforter i had, is less fluffy looking but very evenly warm without any overheating/sweating. i don't have to throw it off or stick my feet out to cool off like with down.

add linen sheets and silk pillowcases- just heavenly :) body is never too hot or cold and hair/face look great!

but no matter what comforter- definitely a duvet cover! now if i can find a reasonably priced silk duvet.....
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

We got https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75130 and are happy with them (fall through spring), but highly recommend purchasing duvet covers per ResearchMed. Really seems to extend the life of them, and even more importantly they don't slide off the bed when you're sleeping.
Topic Author
Boston Barry

Post by Boston Barry »

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I think I'm going to have to test / feel a sample in person before ordering six
nymeria.stark

Post by nymeria.stark »

When shopping for our comforters, I went to Target and got duvets. (I also went king-sized for everything, because they happened to be on sale...)

Like an earlier poster, we spent more on the duvet covers, which we wash separately. Purchased ours from LL Bean and they're holding up well.
Just a girl, standing in front of her finances, asking them to make more sense.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I have stayed in Maine in a cottage on a small island in the summer. I would suggest layers. Multiple light to heavy blankets worked well in the summer. Spring and fall can be cold and a need for wool blankets. Summer can be hot with only need for sheets.

Lucky you. Is the cottage on water or inland.
Topic Author
Boston Barry

Post by Boston Barry »

Dottie57 wrote:
I have stayed in Maine in a cottage on a small island in the summer. I would suggest layers. Multiple light to heavy blankets worked well in the summer. Spring and fall can be cold and a need for wool blankets. Summer can be hot with only need for sheets.

Lucky you. Is the cottage on water or inland.
On the water - on an island. Love the Maine coastline. Agree that nights vary in temp up there but generally colder than you'd guess it would be in the summer.
keaton

Post by keaton »

Maine islands, umm it's an amazing place in the summer... not so much in the winter.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

If you like mosquitoes.
Gordon
Topic Author
Boston Barry

Post by Boston Barry »

gkaplan wrote:If you like mosquitoes.
Been up in Maine. No problems with mosquitos up here and no Debbie Downers around either :D !

In case anyone else is looking, I ended up going with LL Bean (700 Fill Sateen White Goose Down Comforter Warm). I can't say anything about other brands but so far I am super happy with these (comfort, warmth). Got them on Memorial Day sale (20% off) which helped.