How to find a good local mechanic?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
anil686

How to find a good local mechanic?

Post by anil686 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Where I live, many people are using their dealer for service. I am tired of suggested repairs outside of the maintenance schedule and so typically decline them but between waiting for a long time, having the sales pressure to do something and then the nagging feeling that I may be irrationally declining services because they are pushed by pushy salespeople - I am looking to find a good mechanic in my area. I guess I was fine declining stuff as I went along, but my car now has 90,000 miles and would like a closer, more honest assessment of things to fix.

I have a AAA membership and have thought about looking at their approved mechanic list and have looked on yelp - just wanted to know how most go about finding a good mechanic. Thanks in advance... (also thanks if anybody in the DFW area has recommendations as well...)

an_asker

Re: How to find a good local mechanic?

Post by an_asker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:21 pm

Nothing beats word of mouth. The previous trusted auto mechanic and my current trusted auto mechanic both came highly recommended. That said, I have heard that Pep Boys are pretty good as well; I have just not used them.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:25 pm

In my opinion and experience, there are multiple aspects to this.

One aspect is a place that is competent to do the work you want and need.

The second aspect is honesty and not doing or recommending work that is not needed.

A third aspect is to what degree they stand behind the work done and don't charge (or charge less) if the repairs are either not fully correct or do not last.

alec

Post by alec » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:39 pm

I've found that Word of mouth is the best.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:45 pm

alec wrote:I've found that Word of mouth is the best.
Yes, I agree.

anil686

Post by anil686 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Thanks for the advice! Appreciated

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Yep, ask around. Especially other people who have the same make car as you. It's a bad sign if they offer to get you in that day or the next morning. A good sign if they tell you it's going to be a few days to a week or more.

MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:52 pm

I've had good luck going the Yelp/Google review route, and not just for mechanics. If you're in a large enough city for there to be many reviews, trends become apparent. I have then used getting an oil change as a way to scope out a prospective new mechanic.
Wiki

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:05 pm

[quote="anil686"]... have a AAA membership and have thought about looking at their approved mechanic list ....[quote]

Be careful with AAA. Don't know about Texas but around here AAA-Mid-Atlantic has really gone downhill. For years the designated AAA Road service garage was an actual honest and competent local garage. But, AAA cut his reimbursement rates for emerg. road service calls around 10 years ago to the point the $$ was so low it would cost him money to send out a tow truck and a driver for 10 miles. So he gave up the contract.

Next shoe to drop - AAA then awarded the emerg. road service contract (and that emblem "AAA Approved" to the garage facility) to the biggest automotive repair crook of them all in our area. :twisted:
Yup, A well-known gyp shop that had a well-deserved reputation for ripping off the senior citizens. ( Our county has a Huge over-65 affluent population. And you betcha, this repair garage took full advantage of that fact. The swindles and rip-offs were legendary, but, apparently, either AAA didn't know, or, didn't care.

I dropped my AAA membership soon after directly because of this turn of events.

anil686

Post by anil686 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:41 pm

drawpoker wrote:
anil686 wrote:... have a AAA membership and have thought about looking at their approved mechanic list ....

Be careful with AAA. Don't know about Texas but around here AAA-Mid-Atlantic has really gone downhill. For years the designated AAA Road service garage was an actual honest and competent local garage. But, AAA cut his reimbursement rates for emerg. road service calls around 10 years ago to the point the $$ was so low it would cost him money to send out a tow truck and a driver for 10 miles. So he gave up the contract.

Next shoe to drop - AAA then awarded the emerg. road service contract (and that emblem "AAA Approved" to the garage facility) to the biggest automotive repair crook of them all in our area. :twisted:
Yup, A well-known gyp shop that had a well-deserved reputation for ripping off the senior citizens. ( Our county has a Huge over-65 affluent population. And you betcha, this repair garage took full advantage of that fact. The swindles and rip-offs were legendary, but, apparently, either AAA didn't know, or, didn't care.

I dropped my AAA membership soon after directly because of this turn of events.

Thanks - that is great to know

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:45 pm

We found a good local mechanic that was recommended to us by a friend.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:01 pm

anil686 wrote:Where I live, many people are using their dealer for service. I am tired of suggested repairs outside of the maintenance schedule and so typically decline them but between waiting for a long time, having the sales pressure to do something and then the nagging feeling that I may be irrationally declining services because they are pushed by pushy salespeople - I am looking to find a good mechanic in my area. I guess I was fine declining stuff as I went along, but my car now has 90,000 miles and would like a closer, more honest assessment of things to fix.

I have a AAA membership and have thought about looking at their approved mechanic list and have looked on yelp - just wanted to know how most go about finding a good mechanic. Thanks in advance... (also thanks if anybody in the DFW area has recommendations as well...)
I am in the exact same position and have so far only used the google/yelp option. I live in a metro area so I am counting on finding a good mechanic with lots of positive reviews.

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:07 pm

I have had poor experiences with both AAA and Yelp-recommended mechanics, and am sticking with the dealer. At least they know the brand better. I don't know why a local mechanic also wouldn't have incentive to recommend unneeded repairs.

GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:14 pm

by MoneyIsntEverything » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:52 pm
I've had good luck going the Yelp/Google review route, and not just for mechanics. If you're in a large enough city for there to be many reviews, trends become apparent. I have then used getting an oil change as a way to scope out a prospective new mechanic
+1 for yelp

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:34 pm

Hmmm.

You do know, don't you, that Yelp was exposed publicly a few years ago, and suffered some real damage thru subsequent lawsuits, for their fake and phony "reviews' they were posting?

A number of lawsuits resulted from Yelp's business practice of pulling (deleting) positive reviews of businesses that declined to advertise with Yelp; then, conversely, posting fake positive reviews from businesses that agreed to buy advertising space with Yelp.

Um, suggest you do some Googling here before jumping on board with Yelp.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:43 pm

Yelp, word of mouth, and trial and error.

One thing I've noticed with good mechanics is they tend to have low key but impressive shops in a non flashy way. For example, a clean/organized garage and/or showcase vintage hardware. My sample size is only 3 so that may not be enough to establish a rigorous test though :)
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:45 pm

drawpoker wrote:Hmmm.

You do know, don't you, that Yelp was exposed publicly a few years ago, and suffered some real damage thru subsequent lawsuits, for their fake and phony "reviews' they were posting?

A number of lawsuits resulted from Yelp's business practice of pulling (deleting) positive reviews of businesses that declined to advertise with Yelp; then, conversely, posting fake positive reviews from businesses that agreed to buy advertising space with Yelp.

Um, suggest you do some Googling here before jumping on board with Yelp.
Everything on the Internet (or TV) needs to be taken with a heavy dose of salt. But I have not been to a place on Yelp with tons of good reviews that was terrible. I'd say it's pretty accurate if you have enough reviews. That doesn't mean it's accurate in every single case though.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

boglerdude

Post by boglerdude » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:49 pm

Nextdoor.com

thefoggycity

Post by thefoggycity » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:31 pm

Go to Car Talk's website and see what Click and Clack recommend for your zip code.

Beensabu

Post by Beensabu » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:16 am

Cyclone wrote: I don't know why a local mechanic also wouldn't have incentive to recommend unneeded repairs.
My local mechanic talked me out of unnecessary/early maintenance services today, explained why I didn't need them yet, and told me when I would. He is great at what he does, he keeps his local customers for life, and we send him our friends, coworkers, and family.