Porsche Lease

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Ged

Porsche Lease

Post by Ged » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:45 pm

With the nice runup in the stock market and the fact that I have more money than I'm going to need for the rest of my life plus I just turned 67 I'm thinking of taking a 2 year lease on a Porsche Boxster. I will be keeping my regular car which is a 2012 Acura TL.

You only live once.

I figure I'll be putting something like 5000 miles a year tops on it.

I wonder if others here have done such a thing and what the points to watch out for are.

Jack FFR1846

Re: Porsche Lease

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:48 pm

The Boxster is fairly user friendly. Why not just sell the TL and buy it. No worry about putting miles on it. No extra expense of insurance and taxes for 2 cars.

(I had a Lotus Elise which would probably fit in the trunk of a Boxster)
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Leasing is a very expensive way to "own" a car. If you have money to burn, then you can afford to do things that are not financially prudent. Would this be a one off, or do you plan on leasing a viper when the lease is over? This will be about $750 a month or thereabouts? How much will the insurance be?
$18000 plus $10k down, so $28000, plus insurance of (total guess) $10k, $38000 total. YOLO I suppose.

dbphd

Post by dbphd » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:10 pm

I had a 2000 Boxster S that I traded in for a 2012 Carrera S cabriolet. The Boxster is a sports car whereas the Carrera is a GT car, both special in their own ways. We have a 2005 MB E55 AMG wagon for everyday use, and if I were you, I'd keep your other car as well. Both the wagon and GT car can scamper to 60 in just over 4 seconds, so neither is boring. I really like Porsche's PDK and always use it in manual mode, but the manual tranny in the Boxster is a good one. Is there a reason for leasing rather than buying?

db

Post by 123 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Are you near a Hertz airport location that might have such a car available for rent? Maybe you should try renting one for a week or two, sometimes it doesn't take long for that "new car feel" to wear thin and you could come to your senses.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

multiham

Post by multiham » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:12 pm

Love the Boxster! Here are some of my thoughts.

1. Shop around for the best lease you can get. The Porsche dealer near my house is not willing to negotiate much off sticker price as he tells me that people walk in with cash everyday and purchase at sticker. There is another dealer that is willing to come off sticker and use that price as the capitalized cost for the lease.
2. Have the Porsche dealer explain normal wear and tear and what costs normally come up when someone turns in a car after 2 years. I can almost guarantee that you will need to purchase 4 new tires for the car if you turn it in with 10,000 miles on it
3. Make sure you are happy with the base Boxster vs. the Boxster S
4. Fully understand the residual value at the end of the lease. It will vary by model. Sometimes, it is actually cheaper to lease a more expensive model as the residual may be higher and offset the difference in the price of the car
5. Ask them to throw something into the deal whether its your first maintenance for free, or better loaner car when you drop off for service.
6. Enjoy the car!

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:15 pm

I'm far from a car snob but from my untrained eye a 2007 Boxster doesn't look much different than a 2017 Boxster. Why not just buy a used one? You can get it for under $30k and then when you're bored with it you probably can sell it near what you paid for it and get something else.

sport

Post by sport » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Many years ago, I attended a company picnic. I recall laughing when the company president had to go out to his Porsche in the parking lot because he forgot to turn off the headlights. My Camry turned the lights off automatically.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Ged wrote:With the nice runup in the stock market and the fact that I have more money than I'm going to need for the rest of my life plus I just turned 67 I'm thinking of taking a 2 year lease on a Porsche Boxster. I will be keeping my regular car which is a 2012 Acura TL.

You only live once.

I figure I'll be putting something like 5000 miles a year tops on it.

I wonder if others here have done such a thing and what the points to watch out for are.
This is just me, but if you aren't driving it a lot, I would consider something used and a bit more exotic in Porsche's line up. If you are going to YOLO it, don't do it half way :beer

Vanilla Boxters are fantastic sports cars, but at the end of the day they are a dime a dozen. You will pay a lot up-front for an exotic, but recoup most (if not make a profit) on the back end, and you won't have a countdown clock to when you must give it up (or buy it out).

In the $40k price bracket, you could get a 996 911 Turbo
In the $80k price bracket, you could get a GT3
If your tastes are more Boxter-ish, for 80k for a 2011 Boxter Spyder
$80k would also get you a Ferrari 430
For $120k you could get a Cayman GT4
$140k would get you a McLaren Mp4
Last edited by alfaspider on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:24 pm

Jags4186 wrote:I'm far from a car snob but from my untrained eye a 2007 Boxster doesn't look much different than a 2017 Boxster. Why not just buy a used one? You can get it for under $30k and then when you're bored with it you probably can sell it near what you paid for it and get something else.
Worth noting that 2007 Boxters have a known engine issue (IMS Bearing). The motors can fail catastrophically, which effectively totals the car as good motors are worth almost as much as a complete car. There are solutions to this problem, but it may not be something OP wants to deal with. The 2007 Boxter is also quite a bit slower and has a vastly inferior automatic transmission option (Tiptronic vs PDK).

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:32 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:The Boxster is fairly user friendly. Why not just sell the TL and buy it. No worry about putting miles on it. No extra expense of insurance and taxes for 2 cars.

(I had a Lotus Elise which would probably fit in the trunk of a Boxster)
The reason I'm not selling the TL is that I occasionally need to ferry more than 2 people around, and here in NJ it does snow on occasion.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:36 pm

mhalley wrote:Leasing is a very expensive way to "own" a car. If you have money to burn, then you can afford to do things that are not financially prudent. Would this be a one off, or do you plan on leasing a viper when the lease is over? This will be about $750 a month or thereabouts? How much will the insurance be?
$18000 plus $10k down, so $28000, plus insurance of (total guess) $10k, $38000 total. YOLO I suppose.
I don't plan to own a Porsche or similar vehicle long term.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:39 pm

alfaspider wrote: If you are going to YOLO it, don't do it half way :beer
Thanks for the advice. I'll certainly consider alternatives.

visualguy

Post by visualguy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:11 pm

I've been there... Owned a Cayman GTS for a little over a year (drove 4K miles). I bought new and sold rather than leasing because the Porsche lease terms wouldn't have been good.

When I bought it, I actually thought I would keep it for a long time, but after a few months it became clear to me that there wasn't really much point in owning a car like this, at least not for me. I don't go to the racetrack. After driving a couple of times on some nice mountain roads (at dawn to avoid traffic), I had my fun with it, and didn't feel like doing it again and again. It doesn't take long to get it out of your system. Yes, it is a special driving experience, but once you've "been there, done that" a couple of times, you're mostly over it. As a daily driver, it pretty much sucks - too stiff, noisy, attracts too much unwanted attention (fear of vandalism), scrapes easily because of low ground clearance, etc.

I think the best way to do it (if you must) is to buy used, and then sell when you're done with it. You get the same experience with a much smaller financial hit than leasing or buying new.

jose

Post by jose » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:43 pm

I have a Boxster, and it is one of the best cars I ever had.

I would buy it used, because as a roadster, it is definitely a keeper. I would say, hands down the best handling car out there, and the manual tranny is truly exemplary. It turns corners with amazing ease. I mean the street corner at 35mph, or a twisty road. Not acceleration, not top speed, but turning and braking... handling. It is very large and comfortable for a roadster. Two trunks. Wide.

It is surprisingly reliable, very well designed, and friendly. That said, you better find an independent Porsche mechanic that is reasonable, because Porsche repair is outrageous. Like you get out of the mechanic for $2,000 and that is really cheap! If you are into mechanics, it is a pleasure to do little things.

It is not really exotic, but people still look at you (which I don't like), you feel attention and many drivers race you out of red lights all the time. With a Honda Civic, with a minivan... anything.

In summary, great car, huge pleasure to drive, I would buy a used car with well under 50k miles, and manage the maintenance cost.

Jose

Admiral

Post by Admiral » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:49 pm

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

The Boxster is a nice car, if you like the new turbo motor. Here's a good recent review. C&D thinks the S is somewhat superfluous.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/201 ... ted-review

Porsches are a HUGE expense outside of warranty, FYI. Service is brutal.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:03 pm

visualguy wrote:I've been there... Owned a Cayman GTS for a little over a year (drove 4K miles). I bought new and sold rather than leasing because the Porsche lease terms wouldn't have been good.

When I bought it, I actually thought I would keep it for a long time, but after a few months it became clear to me that there wasn't really much point in owning a car like this, at least not for me. I don't go to the racetrack. After driving a couple of times on some nice mountain roads (at dawn to avoid traffic), I had my fun with it, and didn't feel like doing it again and again. It doesn't take long to get it out of your system. Yes, it is a special driving experience, but once you've "been there, done that" a couple of times, you're mostly over it. As a daily driver, it pretty much sucks - too stiff, noisy, attracts too much unwanted attention (fear of vandalism), scrapes easily because of low ground clearance, etc.

I think the best way to do it (if you must) is to buy used, and then sell when you're done with it. You get the same experience with a much smaller financial hit than leasing or buying new.
I'd say you are doing yourself a disservice if you own a high performance vehicle like and don't stretch its legs every once and a while. The Porsche Club of America runs high performance driving events where you can get on the track with an instructor. Autocross is another option (time trials on a temporary racetrack setup with cones on a skid pad or large parking lot), with even lower barriers to entry.

One thing to consider when choosing between a Boxter and Cayman or 911 is that the Boxter's integrated rollover protection may not be acceptable for some track event organizers.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:05 pm

Is there a luxury car subscription service in your area? It might be cheaper than a lease as well as give you the chance to 'try before you buy.'

This is one in my area - http://www.driveclutch.com/pricing

-Steph

investor997

Post by investor997 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:39 pm

Admiral wrote:
Porsches are a HUGE expense outside of warranty, FYI. Service is brutal.
Not necessarily true. I own a 2010 911 Carrera S (hence my screen name). I bought it about two and a half years ago with 37K on the clock. Since that time I've had to do a 40K mile service on it. Dealerships and Indy mechanics charge around $1,200 for this which basically amounts to oil and oil filter, engine air filters, spark plugs and the cabin filter. I did it all on my own for about ~$250 in parts. It's a second car for me so I've only put about 11K miles on it since purchasing but it's been completely reliable otherwise.

My suggestion would be to look for a Porsche that's 6-7 years old or more. The depreciation curve flattens out considerably at that age. Cars like the 987 Boxster/Cayman and 997 911 are starting to become very popular on the used market. They offer incredible driving feel and they're actually quite reliable. It seems like every day there's a new thread on the Rennlist 997 board asking about them, how much they're worth, should I buy this one, etc. Guys like Matt Farah on YouTube's "The Smoking Tire" channel keep singing the praises of Porsches from this era, helping to maintain their popularity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x-UzNCwk2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6vlVdY2Fr8

The newer models (991/981) are amazing but they're still very expensive in terms of depreciation.

visualguy

Post by visualguy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:02 pm

alfaspider wrote: I'd say you are doing yourself a disservice if you own a high performance vehicle like and don't stretch its legs every once and a while. The Porsche Club of America runs high performance driving events where you can get on the track with an instructor. Autocross is another option (time trials on a temporary racetrack setup with cones on a skid pad or large parking lot), with even lower barriers to entry.

One thing to consider when choosing between a Boxter and Cayman or 911 is that the Boxter's integrated rollover protection may not be acceptable for some track event organizers.
Yes, I agree. If you are into participating in tracking/autocrossing events regularly, then owning a sports car makes a lot more sense. I don't know if this is something that the OP wants to do. I'm not really into that stuff myself, and not sure about the safety aspect of it. Anyway, I realize that it can be fun for people who like that sort of thing, but then it becomes a hobby that requires some significant time and money resources beyond getting the car itself.

dbphd

Post by dbphd » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:58 pm

I realize that it can be fun for people who like that sort of thing, but then it becomes a hobby that requires some significant time and money resources beyond getting the car itself.
I often drove an '85 Ferrari 308 GTS and '90 Testarossa in FCA and FOC track events, mostly at Laguna Seca and Sears Point. The only extra costs I encountered were a helmet and driving suit. I did have the cars checked at a local shop before each event, but the cost was minimal. Your car will go through a mandatory tech inspection the day of the event. I don't enjoy autocross, but a few laps of a skid pad can be insightful -- sudden throttle liftoff brought the Testarossa tail around viciously.

db

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:02 pm

mhalley wrote:Leasing is a very expensive way to "own" a car. If you have money to burn, then you can afford to do things that are not financially prudent. Would this be a one off, or do you plan on leasing a viper when the lease is over? This will be about $750 a month or thereabouts? How much will the insurance be?
Price out leasing for 2 years versus buying the same car and selling it in 2 years. I think you will find that the cost to be very similar.

Owning a Porsche is burning money. Doesn't matter how you do it. Up to you to decide if it is worth it to you or not. There a zillion of options depending on what the OP is looking with various blends of sport/luxury to meet your needs. Personally I think blowing ~30k/2years on something like a used aston martin/Maserati might be more fun but that is largely personal choice.

If you plan on taking the car to the track, I would double check that the lease is ok with it.

westie

Post by westie » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:05 pm

consider a used Honda S2000, they're a lot of fun to drive. They're planning on going back into production late next year.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:13 pm

If you buy used research "Porsche RMS problems" before you do. Trust me on this one. With that said buy new to avoid those problems.

tbill1

Post by tbill1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:17 pm

Agree about the OP buying used instead of a lease. I realize my car buying habits are totally against the Boglehead point of view, but I have a:
2004 Porsche Cayenne (160000 miles), 2005 Porsche 911 (997) (54000 miles), 2015 Porsche Macan S (34,000 miles) and the newest purchase is a 1988 Porsche 911 (28000 miles) which sat in a garage for 15 years never started or driven.

All of them are serviced by an independent mechanic at 50% - 60% of the cost of a dealer. Not had any problems with any of them. Just routine service.
I would state that this is the best brand of vehicle I have ever owned.

The enjoyment of driving them far out weigh having the dollars in the bank drawing 1% interest. If OP wants one-go for it an "drive it like you stole it."

investor997

Post by investor997 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:20 pm

LarryAllen wrote:If you buy used research "Porsche RMS problems" before you do. Trust me on this one. With that said buy new to avoid those problems.
I think you meant to say "Porsche IMS problems", referring to the intermediate shaft bearing failures on nearly every 911/Boxster/Cayman made from '98-'08. It's a low probability, high cost failure mechanism.

The '09+ models (987.2, 997.2) have a completely redesigned engine that eliminates this failure mode. They're also more expensive, not just because of this but also because Porsche built far fewer cars from '09-'11, courtesy of the global financial crisis.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:28 pm

alfaspider wrote:
This is just me, but if you aren't driving it a lot, I would consider something used and a bit more exotic in Porsche's line up. If you are going to YOLO it, don't do it half way
Nice to see some driver-oriented posts here (no offense, Mr. Auto-off Camry headlights, above).

If this is your first performance-oriented car and you're 67 and pretty much set, the most important thing is to not kill or maim yourself. Really. I can not over-emphasize this enough. Boxster seems like a nice incremental first step. It's not that any car is "too much for you to handle," per se. Rather, it's that the emergency handling or the last-second over-correction or the first time you forget that you're not in your Acura may get you. And I think that's where people get into trouble. It's not just the drunk racing kids who crash Porsches. I think it's OK if it scares you a little, and dealers will bend your ear about buying a car you can "grow into" as you hone your skills...

I think a Boxster is a perfect choice because it's quick and nimble and should be fun at almost any speed and under almost any conditions. I ended up (out of my element) at a Ferrari dealership to test drive a (heavily) used Audi RS5. They sent me out with a race instructor (cuz that's what they do). He was great and super-sharp. He owns -- and races -- a Mazda MX-5 :)
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:15 pm

westie wrote:consider a used Honda S2000, they're a lot of fun to drive. They're planning on going back into production late next year.
Thanks, when they go back into production I will certainly at least test drive one.

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:29 pm

Leasing gets a bad rap on this site. Get the lease details from the dealer and compare side-by-side to purchase then selling. Considering your scenario, you can likely get a low mileage lease (since its not your daily driver) and park a new Porsche in your driveway for a couple years for much less than purchase then selling it. Not to mention the convenience of disposing of it in 2-3 years, no headaches, no long term or otherwise large commitment.

No, leasing usually is not the best financial option for BH's that want to buy a cheap car and drive it for 3 decades. But your scenario is different and I wouldn't be too surprised if the price is better through leasing.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:31 pm

Ged,

As someone who bought "one last fun car" at age 66, the only advice I will give you is not to settle for something less than you really want. I have no personal experience with Porsches, so I'll leave it at that. Do your research and proceed.

Have fun and enjoy!

Finance-MD

Post by Finance-MD » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Have you looked into taking over someone else's lease? It can be a very cheap way to get into a lease since you can avoid the down payment. Also, some people get in way over their head with the monthly payments of high end luxury cars and will literally pay someone to take the lease off their hands.

Check out swapalease and leasetrader.

And this article
http://www.truthin7minutes.com/leasing-a-car/

If you don't drive it too much, you can always try to sell it before the lease is over, if you can sell above your residual, you can capture that equity.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:44 pm

investor997 wrote:
LarryAllen wrote:If you buy used research "Porsche RMS problems" before you do. Trust me on this one. With that said buy new to avoid those problems.
I think you meant to say "Porsche IMS problems", referring to the intermediate shaft bearing failures on nearly every 911/Boxster/Cayman made from '98-'08. It's a low probability, high cost failure mechanism.

The '09+ models (987.2, 997.2) have a completely redesigned engine that eliminates this failure mode. They're also more expensive, not just because of this but also because Porsche built far fewer cars from '09-'11, courtesy of the global financial crisis.
Yup. Typo. Brain fart. Getting rear and intermediate confused. IMS is the one. Horrible problem. Big class action. Not that low probability. Porsche service writer told me it was around 8% which means it's probably way higher.

MossySF

Post by MossySF » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:48 pm

Back in my days when I got a similar fun car to drive, I first looked for a local car club for that model. And when I couldn't find one, I started one. We met once a month usually doing twisty mountain/coastal road drives. Every other month, I'd spend a weekend scouting roads when it was my turn to lead a drive. And once/twice a year, long road trips to meet other clubs in other cities.

Suffice it to say, the miles accumulated FAST -- like 15K per year. If you decide you want to FULLY enjoy your Boxster, it'll be pretty costly if you do a lease.

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:48 pm

In preparation for ER, I Just sold my 911 and now have the itch completely out of my system. It was a wonderful car, great performance, amazingly fun to drive, etc. But I came to the realization that my reflexes aren't what they used to be combined with the fact that I am more cautious. I say if you can afford it, do it and have fun. You only live once.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:57 pm

You can also consider taking over someone's lease. There are usually people who have buyer's remorse or moving overseas who simply don't want the lease anymore. You get it transferred to your name and many are willing to forgo their deposit.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

researcher

Post by researcher » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:30 pm

I don’t understand many of these responses.
The OP is 67 years old and has more money than he’s going to need for the rest of his life.

He’s inquiring about leasing a fairly modest Porsche Boxster for 2 years, yet he gets the following responses…
- Maybe you should try renting one for a week or two.
- Why not just buy a used (10 year old) one?
- Consider a used Honda S2000.
- Agree about the OP buying used instead of a lease.
- Have you looked into taking over someone else's lease?

Does the poor guy need to be a billionaire to lease a car for 2 years? Renting a car, buying a decade old model, taking over leases?
What is the point when he's got more money than he will ever need?

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:06 pm

researcher wrote:I don’t understand many of these responses.
The OP is 67 years old and has more money than he’s going to need for the rest of his life.

He’s inquiring about leasing a fairly modest Porsche Boxster for 2 years, yet he gets the following responses…
- Maybe you should try renting one for a week or two.
- Why not just buy a used (10 year old) one?
- Consider a used Honda S2000.
- Agree about the OP buying used instead of a lease.
- Have you looked into taking over someone else's lease?

Does the poor guy need to be a billionaire to lease a car for 2 years? Renting a car, buying a decade old model, taking over leases?
What is the point when he's got more money than he will ever need?
Well said. As a former Cayman owner I say just do it. You can afford it. Life is too short.

Afty

Post by Afty » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:06 pm

OP might also consider taking a high performance driving course. I recently did this "Porsche Experience" at the Porsche Experience Center in L.A. I selected a 911 Carrera S, and I drove it on their closed course for 1.5 hours with an instructor helping me. There was a skidpad, a long acceleration straight, and a mini road course, among other things. It was amazingly fun.

There is a similar Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta.

More info: https://www.porschedriving.com/porsche- ... xperiences

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:57 am

sport wrote:Many years ago, I attended a company picnic. I recall laughing when the company president had to go out to his Porsche in the parking lot because he forgot to turn off the headlights. My Camry turned the lights off automatically.
I hope you told him how many cupholders you had. Then he'd really be kicking himself.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

msk

Post by msk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:23 am

Leasing? IMHO when you go high-end pay cash, or you can't afford it. Having owned the top or near-top models available at the time for Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Jaguar I would say that Lexus are by far the most economic, Jaguar the most costly, with going from most economic to most costly among the Germans in this order, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes. Apart from Jaguar they were all reliable but just routine wear-and-tear replacements after 5 years of ownership do cost a lot. Just price tire replacements for any car capable of >150 mph, then brake pads/discs, etc. And a major warning! Please do test drive the Porsche before committing. Porsches are designed to have a great exhaust sound during vigorous acceleration. Whether you appreciate the vroom at age 60+ does matter. In her teenage years my daughter enjoyed driving around in my Porsche 928S, so she bought herself a Cayman in her mid 30s, without a test-drive, via special order from the factory. At the time they were in very short supply with a long wait-list. BIG mistake! She sold it within six weeks because she could not stand the exhaust noise :shock: Easy sell since there was still a long wait list. But she lost $1500. Replaced it with a Lexus LS460... Please do test drive it.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:51 am

alfaspider wrote:If you are going to YOLO it, don't do it half way
Afty wrote:I recently did this "Porsche Experience" at the Porsche Experience Center in L.A. I selected a 911 Carrera S, and I drove it on their closed course for 1.5 hours with an instructor helping me. There was a skidpad, a long acceleration straight, and a mini road course, among other things. It was amazingly fun.

To combine both of these, OP may want to consider something like the Mid vs Rear Engine experience to see if the OP would prefer the Boxster versus the 911. I prefer mid and would choose the Boxster also because I'm not interested in a GT like the 911 but can't tell the OP what he would prefer based on what little info has been provided.
visualguy wrote:It doesn't take long to get it out of your system. Yes, it is a special driving experience, but once you've "been there, done that" a couple of times, you're mostly over it. As a daily driver, it pretty much sucks - too stiff, noisy, attracts too much unwanted attention (fear of vandalism), scrapes easily because of low ground clearance, etc.
Be careful conflating "you" and "I" (on any topic -- not just this one). There are plenty of us that aren't mostly over it after a couple of drives and find our Porsches to be excellent daily drivers. It's up to each to determine this stuff.
Jags4186 wrote:I'm far from a car snob but from my untrained eye a 2007 Boxster doesn't look much different than a 2017 Boxster.
Yeah, don't rely so much on looks -- especially if you can't tell a 2007 from a 2017. You don't need to be a car snob to spot major differences in appearance.

6bquick

Post by 6bquick » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:16 am

daveydoo wrote:
sport wrote:Many years ago, I attended a company picnic. I recall laughing when the company president had to go out to his Porsche in the parking lot because he forgot to turn off the headlights. My Camry turned the lights off automatically.
I hope you told him how many cupholders you had. Then he'd really be kicking himself.
:D :D :D :D :D Thanks for the laugh.

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:19 am

From someone who is 69 and seriously considering an AMG for the next B-day I'd say get what you want and go have fun with it. If it's a Boxster (had a 1998 and a 2000 S) I say be sure to locate your local Porsche Club of America branch and go autocrossing with it as it's way too fast a car to push on the street. Neither of mine could make it 8 weeks without seeing the dealership for one thing or another so leasing would be the way to go.... you do not want to own one of these out of warranty.

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:20 am

takeshi wrote:
alfaspider wrote:If you are going to YOLO it, don't do it half way
Afty wrote:I recently did this "Porsche Experience" at the Porsche Experience Center in L.A. I selected a 911 Carrera S, and I drove it on their closed course for 1.5 hours with an instructor helping me. There was a skidpad, a long acceleration straight, and a mini road course, among other things. It was amazingly fun.

To combine both of these, OP may want to consider something like the Mid vs Rear Engine experience to see if the OP would prefer the Boxster versus the 911. I prefer mid and would choose the Boxster also because I'm not interested in a GT like the 911 but can't tell the OP what he would prefer based on what little info has been provided.
visualguy wrote:It doesn't take long to get it out of your system. Yes, it is a special driving experience, but once you've "been there, done that" a couple of times, you're mostly over it. As a daily driver, it pretty much sucks - too stiff, noisy, attracts too much unwanted attention (fear of vandalism), scrapes easily because of low ground clearance, etc.
Be careful conflating "you" and "I" (on any topic -- not just this one). There are plenty of us that aren't mostly over it after a couple of drives and find our Porsches to be excellent daily drivers. It's up to each to determine this stuff.
Jags4186 wrote:I'm far from a car snob but from my untrained eye a 2007 Boxster doesn't look much different than a 2017 Boxster.
Yeah, don't rely so much on looks -- especially if you can't tell a 2007 from a 2017. You don't need to be a car snob to spot major differences in appearance.
Unless you look for something super obvious like extending the rear spoiler into the tail lights.

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:25 am

Leasing on Porsches is normally pretty expensive vs the deals you see from other OEMs. We do it on our regular Family cars (.e.g we have a Macan Lease now), but I pay cash for the sports cars. Main reason I pay cash is I tend to only keep them short periods of time, so it's easier for me to switch them out.

One good thing about Porsche is you can also lease used cars, which can make it cheaper again vs new.

Where are you located? If in the NY area I can give you a good dealer recommendation.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:13 am

midareff wrote:
I dunno they look pretty similar to me.

And I'm not particularly suggesting model year 2007 I'm just saying these are usually lightly used cars so you probably can get a used/practically new car. Say look for a 2012 or 2013 model.

Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:32 am

I bet your boss picks up more women with his Porsche than you do with your Camry

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:37 am

Nova1967 wrote:
I bet your boss picks up more women with his Porsche than you do with your Camry
But I bet the women picked up in the Porsche aren't bogleheads :D

Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:39 am

midareff wrote:From someone who is 69 and seriously considering an AMG for the next B-day I'd say get what you want and go have fun with it. If it's a Boxster (had a 1998 and a 2000 S) I say be sure to locate your local Porsche Club of America branch and go autocrossing with it as it's way too fast a car to push on the street. Neither of mine could make it 8 weeks without seeing the dealership for one thing or another so leasing would be the way to go.... you do not want to own one of these out of warranty.
Auto Crossing will definitely add to maintenance costs and they are expensive enough to maintain, I joined the local Porsche basically to find out info but too much emphasis on racing

Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:41 am

Nova1967 wrote:
midareff wrote:From someone who is 69 and seriously considering an AMG for the next B-day I'd say get what you want and go have fun with it. If it's a Boxster (had a 1998 and a 2000 S) I say be sure to locate your local Porsche Club of America branch and go autocrossing with it as it's way too fast a car to push on the street. Neither of mine could make it 8 weeks without seeing the dealership for one thing or another so leasing would be the way to go.... you do not want to own one of these out of warranty.
Auto Crossing will definitely add to maintenance costs and they are expensive enough to maintain, I joined the local Porsche club basically to find out info but too much emphasis on racing