Do you have a Billiards Table?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
investingdad

Do you have a Billiards Table?

Post by investingdad » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:07 am

Wondering who shoots pool on here and if you do, if you have your own table.

When we finished the basement we made it a gameroom and I finally got the billiards table I wanted. I'm not a great pool player, but I enjoy sipping beer, watching football, and shooting a rack.

I bought an Olhausen table new, Belmont model, for $2500 which included setup, four house cues, balls, racks, chalk, etc. Last year my wife got me a set of Aramith billiard balls and I bought myself two different, higher end cues with IrIsh linen wrap.

I've got a lighter color cloth...and in wondering how often people replace their cloth? There are some light (very light, but visible) burn marks after three years of mostly me playing it.

Any guidance?

SpringMan

Re: Do you have a Billiards Table?

Post by SpringMan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:21 am

We had a 8 foot Gandy pool table in our basement for years when my kids where growing up. It got lots of use for several years. Eventually the kids moved out and got married. I gave the pool table and accessories to my oldest son and he set it up in his basement. He had girls and they were not interested in pool. I think he eventually sold it on Craig's list. Don't have any regrets. We also had a ping pong table. At one time I was decent at pool and ping pong. The skill goes away without practice. Fancy pool equipment is not necessary to be decent any more than fancy cameras make a good photographer. That said I can appreciate nice gear in both.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:29 am

I had my own table, a Connelly, for 5 years. I didn't replace my cloth in the five years I had it, and in fact when I sold it the mechanic who moved the table was going to try and reuse it. One way I kept burn marks off the table was to have a small square of the original cloth that I put the cue ball on when breaking.

Seeing how you have Aramith balls and are getting better cues I assume you are getting more serious about the game. I would recommend when the time comes you wish to replace the cloth, replace it with Simonis 860, preferably in Tournament Blue (if the wife doesn't mind :) ). If you get the Tournament Blue Simonis get some Blue Diamond chalk. The color matches perfectly.

If you have the cloth replaced have it done by a reputable table mechanic, not just someone who installs tables. A mechanic can make most tables play better. A good place to find a recommendation is AZBilliards. They are the top billiards forum, and there is a mechanics section.

Good luck!
Sometimes I feel like I'm waltzing in a 4/4 world.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:34 am

A pool table came with the house. Been there since 92. At the moment, the cover is on and it's covered with junk. Every now and then, we uncover it and play. It badly needs attention to fix bolsters and such. I suppose we could just get rid of it but then where would we put the junk on top of it?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:46 pm

No, but I do have ping-pong table :)

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:05 pm

In my 20's I bought a nice slate one from a co-worker for $300 - it cost another $300 then to get it moved and set back up in my house. Played it a few times but not enough to justify the cost. Never did any maintenance on it.

I ended up giving it away to the realtor who sold my house in return for some handyman work. If I get the urge to play pool I go to where someone else maintains them, which is rare.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca